Should Angela have Jordan or Brian?

General discussion about the nineteen episodes of "My So-Called Life". Note: Our episode guide can be found here.

Should Angela choose Jordan or Brian?

Jordan
54%
Brian
46%

Total votes: 70

william bloke
Nicky Driscoll

Post by william bloke » Aug 14th 2002, 8:59 am

On the contrary.....
I have not an inch of sorrow or blame for such a profound question.
The fact that this question, no matter how it is phrased, cannot be answered is the beauty of episode 19 and about life in general. I've been posting my perspective, not as a way to win the argument, but for the sake of debting only. I was just hoping to hear what other Krakow-phillic people had to say.
I've noticed, some time ago, there was a heated debate on another section of this board which dealt with a certain political issue that stemmed from 9/11. It's rather disappointing to see that this post was closed because some members thought that it was "inappropriate". Speaking for myself, and myself only, the idea of sustaining an argument provides much more entertainment than simply solving it.

Madam, my complements goes out to you for posing the question.

The person that needs to be sorry is actually, me. If I could write a post(or anything) in a second language like how you have(and I'm assuming that you're not a native anglophone), I would probably die a happy man.
"Really? Do you think she did? Really? You think she siliconed her lips? Really?"

socalledfan
Angela's best friend

Post by socalledfan » Aug 14th 2002, 9:34 am

William,

Responding to your comments about your disappointment that the political 9/11 thread was closed, I'm sorry, but I have to disagree and implore you not to go down that road again. This board is not the place for such an emotionally-charged, painful issue. Surely you can understand this. The topic became a nightmare because of anti-American sentiment, and yes it was me who spoke up about closing it. NO GOOD could have come out of keeping it open (not very "entertaining" in my humble opinion), because one thing and one thing only was occurring....non-Americans were insulting Americans. So...once again, let's move on!

Thanks and peace,
Socalledfan
"You're sooo beautiful, it HURTS to look at you."

socalledfan
Angela's best friend

Post by socalledfan » Aug 14th 2002, 9:38 am

Back to the topic, William, no, you're not the only Krakow cheerleader. You could count me in the pro-Brian category! (My post earlier in this thread explains my compicated thoughts...she WILL choose Jordan now...but SHOULD choose Brian in the long run).

:)
"You're sooo beautiful, it HURTS to look at you."

nkatsa
Three Rivers Resident

Post by nkatsa » Sep 10th 2002, 3:04 pm

I think that there was more to Jordan than meets the eye and that it was a matter of letting down his guard so that Angela could see more than his silky hair, eyes like the sea before a storm, and...sorry, I was wandering off a bit there!
:lol: I was thinking that myself. But seriously, I do believe there was more to Jordan that meets the eye and that there was a lot of potential for character growth and him letting out the good kid that's inside of him.

Maybe now that I'm a bit older I can acknowledge that Brian may have been a possibility for Angela somewhere down the line, but I can't seem to shake off the bias that I had when I watched it for the first time and just fell in love with the idea of Angela and Jordan ( :shock: I still can't believe that was 8 years ago. I'm not that much older... am I? :? lol)
I bet you can actually die of embarrassment. I bet it's been medically proven.

Brainiac
Nicky Driscoll
Location: Oxford, England (for now at least) Otherwise, Virginia, USA

another Krakow fan!

Post by Brainiac » Sep 15th 2002, 7:20 am

:D Alrighty folks, another die-hard Krakow supporter here. My vote has to go for Brian. I think a quote from some great fanfic detailing the progression of this love triange (from Shobi) sums it up best: Jordan [to Brian]: 'It was just nice, y’know, being the one she *wanted*. (pause) But I guess . . . I guess you’re what she *needs*' (episode 29 in case anybody's interested!).

I agree to a certain extent that what Angela is to Brian is what Jordan is to Angela -- a sort of idealised embodiment of romantic perfection. But Brian's devotion to Angela is one built on years of admiration and appreciation of her as she truly is. During the show she was in a rebellious 'find yourself' kind of mode, and Jordan fits into that phase of her life. I'm not sure what sort of a long-term relationship she and Jordan would have been able to maintain. Right now as they're all sorting through their teenage angst, it's too early for them to be starting anything TOTALLY serious. They've all got a good deal of growing up to do, but I think that in the long run Brian is who is best for her. Angela is a good influence on Jordan, but I don't think it will last.

I love the idea that a 'spark is lit between Angela and Brian. But the fire will not start for several years. ' Yesss!

LOL. Ah, but perhaps I am biased because I was in a similar situation during my own high school years. . .of course I was the Krakow in that scenario. And I got my Angela in the end :wink:
'There's something about my life. It's just automatically true that nothing actually happens.'

nkatsa
Three Rivers Resident

Post by nkatsa » Sep 17th 2002, 1:24 am

awww, that was a great fanfic line, Brainiac. Made me melt a little bit. ;) Although I gotta say I always loved the fanfics that had Brian starting to get involved with Rayanne. :lol:

And congrats on getting "your Angela." That's so sweet (sorry, i don't wanna get all gushy here, but i'm such a sap, i just can't help it ;) )
I bet you can actually die of embarrassment. I bet it's been medically proven.

Brainiac
Nicky Driscoll
Location: Oxford, England (for now at least) Otherwise, Virginia, USA

Post by Brainiac » Sep 20th 2002, 3:02 pm

Thanks, nkatsa! :D And for the record, even if I hadn't gotten together with 'my Angela' in the end (which is something I thought would never happen!), my vote would still go for Krakow. Dum vita, spes -- while there is life, there is hope!
'There's something about my life. It's just automatically true that nothing actually happens.'

Greybird
Let's Bolt Regular

Post by Greybird » Nov 8th 2002, 12:00 am

Brianite since ... well, see my .sig below. I even played flute and broke the bell curve in high school, so how could I be anything else?

Y'all should have seen some of the tonsil-tilts that went on about this in 1995-96. Magnum opuses on the topic. I may dredge one or two of mine up, to preserve stunning insights {grin}, now that I've started posting here in earnest.

(Most of the traffic on AOL was not saved, though you can get to alt.tv.my-s-c-life on Google Groups.)

... I'm the only one in six weeks to even bring up this topic? Well, that's a change from seven years ago, lemme tellya.
Greybird of Starhaven
"MSCL" crazy since March 1995

Post by Guest » Jul 9th 2003, 6:01 pm

I agree with those in favor of Brian and Angela being together. In the pilot, the scene where Brian and Angela are walking towards her house and Angela walks away and falls. Brian goes to help her up. I thought that scene was very sweet between them. It also showed how Brian cared for Angela and watched out for her. I also observed in the last episode, when Brian finally slips admitting that he "meant every word" of the letter that Angela really fell in love or deeply respected him. This scene I feel is one of the most poignant scenes I have ever seen on television. Brian and Angela are just looking into each others eyes. It reminds me of the episode where Angela describes love. Looking into another person's eyes and knowing instantly. . . I don't know if I have that right, but I'm sure you know what I am talking about. To be that moment between Angela and Brian was the perfect example of this. When Jordan crashes the scene, Angela looks at him, but she seems to be a bit angry at Jordan (maybe). She is hesitant to leave Brian which seems to be a first. Jordan's spell over Angela does not seem to have as deep of an impact on Angela as before. Since she was just awestruck by the fact that her neighbor wrote the letter revealing his true feelings for her. As mentioned before, Brian is much more mature than the other high school characters he would go out of his way for Angela, an unselfish act. To me in the end, I believe it would be the most beneficial for Angela to have a relationship with Brian because they can relate to each other and know each other well.

Post by Guest » Jul 11th 2003, 11:40 am

Neither.Those guys DO NOT deserve her.I mean, don't get me wrong, they are both good guys and everything, but I just think that a girl like Angela deserves better.But between Brian and Jordan, I think she should be with Jordan.Not just because he's good looking but also because of his simple way of thinking and his easy going character which can provide a positive balance to Angela's intospective and overanalyzing character and vice versa( meaning that Angela can also provide a positive balance to his character, her positive influence on him was shown throughout the series).God knows Brian can't do that for her. That guy is always bugging her( and yeah, Jordan is always hurting her) and I don't think that would ever change.Plus, I can't really imagine them as a couple, Angela is completely not attracted to him.Those looks she was giving him at the end were looks of admiration and respect,not love.

Anyway, she should really find somebody else. :P

Angela_Catalano
Between Names

Post by Angela_Catalano » Aug 10th 2004, 12:22 pm

I Think she should be with Jordan 100%

Brian will never be right for her! She never had feelings for Brian like that and even if she just found out that he does love her, its not going to change the fact that shes not into him that way!

Even if she were not to choose Jordan, it would always be someone else, Never Brian!!

I do like Brian, and I think he deserves to get somebody good, it just cant be Angela!

I think Angela and Jordan have so much Chemistry! I can always feel how she feels about him, and even how he feels about her..( even if he has made some mistakes) Thats why I would have to say they make a great couple!!

ele_93
Tino

Jordan or Brian

Post by ele_93 » Jul 23rd 2005, 12:28 am

I think that she should and probably would be with Jordan.
After everything that she has been through and the pain Jordan has put her through I think that he should be given a chance to repay her by listening to her and just being everything a great friend would be
I'm addicted to My So-called Life!

askmetostay
Tino

Post by askmetostay » Aug 31st 2005, 9:30 pm

Brian for sure.

luvjordan
Tino

Jordan needs her and she loves it

Post by luvjordan » Aug 26th 2006, 3:47 pm

These two need each other. That's all there is to it. I don't know how far this relationship would have gone, but they needed each other by the time they got to Ep. 19.

We have watched Jordan grow quite a bit in just 6 or so months. He's beginning to realize that there's more to life than he's been led to believe. I also think that Angela has been a catalyst for him to begin ponder some serious issues. Before Angela, he undoubtedly went from girl to girl in physical, completely unemotional relationships, where they didin't know him and he didn't know them, nor was either party interested in getting to know the other. The kinds of girls he was with in the past, from the example given (Cynthia Hargrove), were themselves lacking substance. Out for the same things as Jordan was out for and probably having the same or similar issues and deficits.

Suddenly, Angela comes along and, probably for the first time in his life, shows him that he can have more. What he wouldn't do for himself, he does for her (tutoring, going to class), at least initially. We see that even after she cuts him off completely, he continues to go to class and tutoring sessions. In one of the early episodes, he was ready to pack it in. He was about to be expelled and although he could have avoided this by simply going to class, he nearly chose not to do so. If not for Angela, Jordan's personal cheerleader, who encourages him to make a choice to have a future, he would have been exactly what the world expected him to be.

Angela inspires him and because she believes in him, he begins to believe in himself. Jordan hasn't put much into school because no matter what he does, he's at a disadvantage (learning disabled) and because everyone around him is content to pigeon hole him as the stupid, bad kid, and he has no support that we've seen, he has accepted that designation and has essentially given up. One person has finally said, "No, I don't believe that's who you really are. There's more to you than that." That person just happens to be Angela.

Jordan has gotten a really bad rap as this spacey, stupid, insensitive person. I think in season 2 we would have seen some major character development on his part. The potential for where his character could have gone is limitless. I won't go too much further with this because I'm really considering doing some fan fiction (as part of my MSCL obsession therapy :wink: )

Anyway, what little we know of Jordan is: he was left back twice, physically abused for a time, he may have had to flee his home in the past (So Called Angels - knows where Rickie can crash, because his dad used to beat him up), he roams the streets during the holidays, and he seems to have no adult supervision whatsoever. How close to a Brian Krakow do you think any kid could come under those circumstances? The fact that he hasn't dropped out or ended up in jail is quite amazing when you think about it.

I think that Angela needs him too; as part of her moving away from the safe, predictable life that her parents and former best friends envision for her. Interestingly, Sharon has done this as well, just not as overtly. Angela is the one running around with a bad ass boyfriend and a wild child best friend, but she has managed to hold on to her virginity, while seemingly perfect Sharon is running amok with Kyle. The attraction to Jordan is that he's not an open book, there seems to be more than meets the eye. He's a mystery (in a very lovely package, I might add). :D Angela needs a little adventure and mystery to counter the normalcy that is Patty, Graham & Brian. She's ready to take risks and Jordan is the perfect experiment. If we look at this relationship really closely, we can even see elements of Patty & Graham's relationship in Angela and Jordan's.

Hmmm, that fan fiction thing is really starting to come together in my mind. Well that's it for now.
"I call her Red..."

oaksand
Overlooked Sibling

Post by oaksand » Aug 28th 2006, 3:29 pm

i agree totally and i look forward to reading your fan fic