print this page

Fanfiction

IV-1 - DOOM´D

written by Collin J.H. Chang

jump to next story | jump to reviews | go back to fanfiction index

About this story

Published: 24 Mar 2000 | Size: 44 KB (8152 words) | Language: english | Rating: R
Average: 4.2/5   4.2/5 (19 votes)
Abstract:
The latest episode of the adventures of Rayanne Graff, Hellblazer. (so-called gothic life)

based on stories and characters created by Winnie Holzman

 

FADE IN:

INT. STEVENSON HALL, LIBERTY HIGH - EVENING

ANGELA CHASE walks down the darkening hallway. She's got half a PAINTED HOMECOMING BANNER in hand.

ANGELA(VO)

Walking through the school hallway at night is sort of like walking on Mars. It's a different planet.

Movement. She turns. Nothing. Then, from the corner of her eye, she sees her.

ABBYSYNIA CHURCHILL.

Stumbling forward. Toward her. Holding her stomach.

ANGELA

Oh my god. Abbysynia?

She doesn't look up. Neither do the TWO BOYS behind her, DERRICK FOLEY and KEVIN DUFFY.

ANGELA

Oh my god. Don't -- !

Derrick lifts a SHOTGUN. Chambers a second shell. FIRES.

BADAMMM!!

It echoes off the lockers, rattles them. Abbysynia is blown forward. Into Angela. Through her. As if she were never there. Like a ghost.

ANGELA

Oh god.

Angela breathes. Deep. She holds herself, as if in a cold draft. Stands there, under the moonlight slicing through the upper windows.

Alone.

EXT. LIBERTY HIGH CAMPUS - DAY

Angela and Rickie walk to class together.

ANGELA

I'm telling you, Rickie, it was so weird.

RICKIE

Yeah. I know.

ANGELA

She looked so real...

Rickie heads in a different direction. Angela keeps up with him.

ANGELA

So, have you heard anything more about Sharon's friend -- what's her name -- Delia, or something?

RICKIE

You mean, Delia Fisher?

ANGELA

Ahuh.

RICKIE

No. I mean, she's still at home.

ANGELA

She's still at home?

RICKIE

Angela. I, like, have to go to Art. (beat) I'll see you at lunch.

He walks off. Angela watches him leave.

ANGELA(VO)

Ms. Chavatal's science classroom was still off limits. All the students who normally had science were sent to Art class instead. Like, art really has a lot to do with science.

EXT. LIBERTY HIGH BUS STOP - DAY

Angela sits at the bus stop. Deep in thought. Rayanne walks up behind her.

RAYANNE

Angelika...!

ANGELA

Rayanne.

RAYANNE

Tino says he's got a bootleg of Ms. Chavatal's 911 call.

ANGELA

That's so gross.

RAYANNE

And the downside being...?

Angela's about to answer, when she sees someone, standing at the curb.

RAYANNE

Isn't that Abbysynia Churchill's mom?

ANGELA

Yeah.

RAYANNE

What's she doing here?

ANGELA

I don't know.

MRS. CHURCHILL, a handsome African American Woman, walks up to Angela and Rayanne. She stands there. As if lost.

RAYANNE

Mrs. Churchill?

(beat)

It's me. Rayanne.

She looks at Rayanne.

MRS. CHURCHILL

Rayanne?

RAYANNE

Why are you here, Mrs. Churchill?

A beat.

MRS. CHURCHILL

I'm here to pick up Abby.

(turns to Angela)

Have you seen my Abbysynia?

A beat. Angela is at a loss for words.

ANGELA(VO)

Abbysynia Churchill was the first one killed in the Massacre last year. But the tv and the newspapers wouldn't let it die. Even the vice president came out to say a few words at her funeral.

RAYANNE

Abby's gone home, Mrs. Churchill.

MRS. CHURCHILL

(beat)

She has?

RAYANNE

Yeah. A long time ago. (beat) Do you need help getting home, ma'am?

MRS. CHURCHILL

No. No, I'm fine.

She turns. Walks back toward the parking lot. Angela and Rayanne silently watch her leave. Then:

RAYANNE

She's really cool. She used to give me a ride home when Abby and I were rehearsing OUR TOWN.

ANGELA

That's nice.

A beat.

ANGELA(VO)

There are times when you're thinking the same thing, but don't know how to say it. So you, like, don't say anything. It's really uncomfortable.

EXT. LIBERTY HIGH, BENCHES - DAY

Angela and Rickie sit at the benches, having lunch.

RICKIE

So, Sharon's doing, sort of, okay?

Angela takes a bite of her corned beef sandwich.

ANGELA

(mouth full)

Mmmm hmmmm...

(swallows)

She's coming back to class, soon.

RICKIE

Really? That must be why Principal Foster's having those ramps put in.

ANGELA

Probably. Her mom says she's doing a lot better. She told my mom that Sharon will be back in school, like, tuesday.

RICKIE

Tuesday?

ANGELA

Tuesday.

INT. LIBERTY HIGH HALLWAY - DAY

Rickie walks out of class. Goes to the boy's restroom. It's empty. Dark. He flicks on the light. It goes on. Then suddenly flares out.

RICKIE

Oh no.

Rickie props the door open with the dusty brown rubber doorstop. Goes to a stall, slips inside. Begins taking a dump.

THE DOORSTOP

Begins slipping. The DOOR begins to shut.

Inside the stall, Rickie notices the light from outside is fading, as the door slowly swings shut. Then it shuts, and it's nearly pitch.

RICKIE

Shit.

He wipes himself, in the dark.

A NOISE. A SQUEAK. Like a RUBBER BASKETBALL SHOE walking across the pale green tiles.

RICKIE

Is someone in here?

No answer.

RICKIE

Rayanne? Is that you?

Silence. Then, another SQUEAK. Rickie quietly stands, slips on his pants, puts his ear to the inside of the stall door.

Another sound. A CLACKING. Like a SHOTGUN being locked and loaded. Rickie breathes deep.

RICKIE

Who's there?!

Then, a voice. Outside the stall. Soft. Evil. Dripping with sadism.

VOICE

Do you believe in God, Rickie?

Suddenly, the bathroom door swings open. Rickie, still in the stall, jumps.

It's BRIAN KRAKOW, standing in the door frame, still halfway outside the restroom. In silhouette.

BRIAN

What happened to the lights?

Rickie unlocks the stall door, flings it open. There's no one on the other side. He stares, still frightened.

BRIAN

Hey. Are you, like, all right?

Rickie stares at Brian.

EXT. LIBERTY HIGH - DAY

School's out. Rayanne and Rickie walk off campus together. Rayanne chews on a Grape Twizzler.

RICKIE

It was definitely something real. I mean, it was like, they were there, in the restroom. With me.

RAYANNE

You see? That's why you have to come back to the girl's restroom.

RICKIE

I'm serious, Rayanne. It was scary. I could even smell the leather from their trenchcoats.

RAYANNE

Mmmm....leather!

RICKIE

Rayanne.

She smiles, takes a bite off her Twizzler.

RICKIE

It made me feel...dirty. I'm just glad Brian showed up.

RAYANNE

What do you mean "dirty?"

RICKIE

Like I was...a part of their sick fantasy, or something. (beat) There must be some kind of spell, or something, that'll make them go away.

RAYANNE

It doesn't work that way.

RICKIE

I wish someone would do something about it.

Rayanne thinks about this.

INT. RAYANNE'S HOUSE - NIGHT

Rayanne reaches up to a high shelf, takes down a BOX. She opens it. TAROT CARDS.

INT. RAYANNE'S HOUSE - NIGHT (LATER)

Rayanne's got the tarot cards laid out on the kitchen table. She lifts a card.

RAYANNE

(to herself)

Derrick and Kevin? Where are you?

Flips it. The King of Swords. Flips another. Death.

RAYANNE

Mmmm... peekaboo...! I see you...

She flips a third card. Before she has a chance to see it, the wind crashes against her window. Knocks over a potted plant.

LIGHTNING crashes. THUNDER rumbles.

She races over, shuts the window. She hears the sound of FLAMES. Spins back. Looks at the cards.

The last card she flipped is on fire.

She rushes back to the table, picks it up, fans it , puts out the flames. Sets it back down.

It's been burnt through one corner. But it's still readable:

"The Devil."

Rayanne stares at the card.

EXT. LIBERTY HIGH CAMPUS - DAY

Kids, busses, cars. Angela and Rayanne walk to class together.

RAYANNE

So, Cherski's back in school tomorrow?

ANGELA

That's what her mom told my mom.

RAYANNE

Aren't they, like, in the middle of some huge lawsuit, against Liberty?

ANGELA

My mom says Mrs. Cherski thinks Sharon should go back to school, you know, cause it's, like, normal. Or something.

RAYANNE

Yeah, that makes sense.

ANGELA(VO)

Sharon's parents were suing Liberty High for, like, seven million dollars, or something. Stacy Hall's parents were asking for twenty million. They both had lawyers.

Rayanne heads off.

RAYANNE

See ya.

EXT. INDUSTRIAL WASTELAND - EVENING

Sun's just setting. Rayanne waits there. Blows cold steam. A FIGURE shows up, walks into the fading sunlight.

It's THE HEBREW. The Hebrew is olive skinned and has the weathered appearance of a world weary traveler. He's ageless.

RAYANNE

You wanted to see me?

THE HEBREW

I have the gravest of news, Rayanne.

RAYANNE

And to deliver this urgent message, you were, like, half an hour late?

THE HEBREW

It was unavoidable.

RAYANNE

So, what's this great wisdom you have for moi?

THE HEBREW

I must tell you Rayanne, to follow the path you've set before yourself, it is madness.

RAYANNE

I'm just gonna give the boot to a couple of spooks. Clean, simple.

THE HEBREW

To do so, you'll have to open a gateway. To damnation.

RAYANNE

Very good. Now, for the million dollar question...

THE HEBREW

Have you...dabbled in the Dark Arts since your last..."visit" to the Abyss?

RAYANNE

"Dark Arts?"

THE HEBREW

The I Ching?

RAYANNE

No.

THE HEBREW

The Tarot?

A beat. Rayanne pauses before answering.

RAYANNE

(lies)

Uh uh. Haven't touched it. Why?

THE HEBREW

You'll find them hostile to your presense.

A beat.

RAYANNE

I'm doing it for a friend. Have you ever had a friend, Jude?

The Hebrew doesn't answer.

RAYANNE

Oh, that's right, you had one a long time ago, but you screwed Him, bigtime.

THE HEBREW

That's uncalled for, Rayanne.

RAYANNE

Just remember, you owe me one.

THE HEBREW

As such, I must tell you: to journey to the Underworld once more, you will be risking everything.

RAYANNE

Says who?

THE HEBREW

The rumblings are clear. The last time you ventured to the Darklands, you were allowed passage from it because your father remained. But to travel there once more, The Lord of the Abyss, the Light Bringer --

RAYANNE

Ol' Luce himself?

THE HEBREW

-- he will take it as a sign of disrespect toward his magnanimous gesture.

(beat)

You'll rekindle his ire, Rayanne. Your soul shall be forfeit, once more, and the Devil will be more than happy to collect it.

Rayanne silently thinks about this.

THE HEBREW

I must tell you, Rayanne.

(he pauses, for effect)

In a thousand years, when you're enduring your final destiny, you'll think back to what I said.

RAYANNE

(thinks)

Hmmm? A thousand years? My final destiny...

INT. HISTORY CLASS - DAY

Rayanne sits in the back. Rickie sits two rows in front. The BELL rings. Rayanne picks up her bag, heads out. Rickie follows her.

RICKIE

Rayanne. Wait up.

Rayanne doesn't stop. Rickie catches up with her.

RICKIE

I haven't seen you in class this week.

RAYANNE

That's a relief. Cause I wasn't there.

RICKIE

Angela says Sharon's coming back to school today.

RAYANNE

Cherski? Good. She's, like, back on her feet. So to speak.

She keeps walking.

RICKIE

So, is there, like, anything we can do?

Rayanne doesn't stop. Rickie keeps up.

RICKIE

I mean, to make it easier for her?

RAYANNE

Dunno.

RICKIE

Is there a way to make the school, you know, like, clean?

Rayanne keeps going. She turns back, and, in a quick spurt, says:

RAYANNE

Can't think of it. Sorry.

She walks out the Hall doors. Rickie stops, watches her leave, a puzzled expression on his face.

INT. GIRL'S BATHROOM - DAY

Rayanne walks in. Two girls smoke in the back. They see her, and leave. As soon as the door shuts behind them, Rayanne stares in the mirror. A beat.

RAYANNE

So, am I gonna hear it from you, too?

In the mirror, a BLUR walks past, behind Rayanne. It stops. Comes into focus.

Sandy, wheat-like hair sits like a drunken halo on the head of this thin, skanky individual. Where his face should be there's a HOLE blown out the size of an open hand. As if from a shotgun blast.

He's SHOTGUN FACE.

Rayanne sees him in the mirror, doesn't turn. Instead, begins touching up her lipstick.

SHOTGUN FACE

Yvvvv bnnnn dssrrpttflll, Ryyynnn.... (You've been dis-repectful, Rayanne)

RAYANNE

So what else is new and improved?

SHOTGUN FACE

Hhh'ss bnnnn wtttchhnngg...nnndd wtttnngggg...yyyvvv nnggrrrddd hmmm... (He's been watching... and waiting...you've angered him...)

RAYANNE

I do my best work with an audience.

SHOTGUN FACE

Vrrryyy fnnnnyyy...vnnntrrr nnttt hsss dmmmnnnn nncccee mrrrr, nndd hhll kppp yyy frrrevvvrr... (Very funny...venture into his domain once more, and he'll keep you there forever...)

A beat. Rayanne thinks about this.

RAYANNE

So, KC, how's the arm?

Rayanne shifts her focus. We now see, in the mirror, that Shotgun Face is missing his left arm. He shudders with rage.

SHOTGUN FACE

Trvvvlll ttt thhh Drrrklnnndds, nndd yllll lssss mrrr thnnn jssst yrrr rrrmms... (Travel to the Darklands, and you'll lose more than just your arms...)

RAYANNE

So I've heard.

SHOTGUN FACE

Sddlly, evvvnnn yyy rrr nttt sttpppddd nnngggghhh ttt mkkk thhhh atttmmmpptt.... (Sadly, even you are not stupid enough to make the attempt...)

RAYANNE

(laughs) Nice try. Reverse psychiatry. Won't cut it, KC.

SHOTGUN FACE

Nnnttt vvvnnn tttt rrrrsscccuuu Shhhrrrrnnn'ss sssnnnccccc...? (not even to rescue Sharon's essense...?)

RAYANNE

Her essense?

SHOTGUN FACE

Hhrrr wlll ttt lvvvv....ttsss thhrrr, nnn Hlll... (her will to live....it's there, in Hell...)

RAYANNE

Her will to live...?

Rayanne puzzles over this. Thinks, deeply.

SHOTGUN FACE

Rrrr yyyyy ffrrrrddddd....? (Are you afraid....?)

Then, she has a moment of clarity:

RAYANNE

I'm not her keeper.

She finishes her make up. Puts her lipstick away, hefts her shoulderbag.

RAYANNE

Everybody raise your right arm if your left's been flushed away.

SHOTGUN FACE

Ggggrrrrrrrr.... (Ggggrrrrrrrr....)

She sweeps out the door.

INT. OLDHAM HALL, LIBERTY HIGH - DAY

Angela and Rayanne walk into Oldham Hall. The hallway's filled with kids, walking to class. Angela looks ahead.

ANGELA

There she is.

SHARON CHERSKI sits there, facing away from them.

Rayanne walks briskly up to her; Angela follows close behind.

RAYANNE

So, Cherski. I hear the football team's looking for a free safety.

Sharon smiles. Rayanne examines Sharon's ELECTRIC WHEELCHAIR.

RAYANNE

Whoa, the new fuel injected model?

SHARON

It gets me places.

RAYANNE

Of course. Only the best for the girl who made the cover of Time.

Angela quietly watches.

ANGELA(VO)

Sharon Cherski and Stacy Hall made the cover of Time Magazine last year. They were holding each other and crying. The doctors said Sharon would never walk again. Stacy didn't make it.

ANGELA

(to Sharon) So, my mom says to say hi.

Sharon is silent. Rayanne breaks the silence.

RAYANNE

You're here for English Lit, right?

Sharon nods.

RAYANNE

Me too. We'll take you to class.

ANGELA

I have to go...to Algebra. Ms. Lerner's giving a pop quiz.

A beat. Sharon stares at Angela, about to say something. But Angela cuts her off.

ANGELA

So, I'll...See you later.

Rayanne and Sharon watch as Angela walks away.

RAYANNE

Okay.

(to Sharon) I'll take you to class.

She goes behind Sharon, starts to push her.

RAYANNE

So Rickie says you can come iceskating with us, but he can't teach you the triple axle. That's gotta be self taught.

Sharon laughs.

RAYANNE

Any truth to the rumor Ben Affleck's on the shortlist to be your prom date?

Again, Sharon smiles. Suddenly, her features harden.

SHARON

Wait. Rayanne. Stop.

Rayanne stops pushing her.

SHARON

Oh no.

Rayanne looks at the floor. A PUDDLE is forming, beneath Sharon's wheelchair. Sharon starts to cry.

SHARON

(through tears)

Can you please get Ms. Lerner?

RAYANNE

Sure. No problem.

SHARON

Rayanne --

RAYANNE

Yo.

SHARON

And please...Keep it quiet.

RAYANNE

You got it.

Rayanne walks off. She stops, turns back, looks at Sharon.

Sharon sits in her wheelchair at the end of the empty hall, hunched over, sobbing.

A beat, as Rayanne watches this. Then she turns, races off.

EXT. OLDHAM HALL, LIBERTY HIGH - DAY (LATER)

Rayanne watches as Ms. Lerner pushes Sharon, still in her wheelchair, into the Faculty Bathroom. Sharon's still crying.

Slowly, Rayanne walks toward the Faculty Bathroom. She's halfway across the hallway, when...

WHAM!!

She runs into Brian Krakow. He's got a MOP and BUCKET in hand.

RAYANNE

Get outta my way!

BRIAN

You, like, walked into me!

RAYANNE

Loser.

She walks on. Quietly pushes open the Faculty Bathroom door. Just a crack. Peers in.

Sharon sits there, in front of the large wall mirror. Ms. Lerner, damp towel in hand, wipes her down.

Sharon has her head down. She won't look in the mirror.

BRIAN

That's, like, off limits. I mean, to students.

Rayanne turns, looks at Brian. He's mopping up the YELLOW PUDDLE on the floor, where Sharon was.

RAYANNE

What?

BRIAN

That's, like, the Faculty Bathroom. You need a pass.

RAYANNE

(flicks her hair, heads off)

I like living on the edge. Steal a life, Krakow!

EXT. BLEACHERS - DAY

Near the end of the day, sun's beginning to set. Rayanne sits on the bleachers, chewing on a Twizzler.

Angela gingerly walks up. Rickie's with her.

ANGELA

So, is Sharon okay?

RAYANNE

She's hunky dory.

RICKIE

Good.

ANGELA

I mean, she's all right, and everything? Lee Kwan said she had... "an accident," or something.

RAYANNE

Yeah. It was pretty bad. They made Brian Krakow mop it up. Or did he volunteer? I forget.

RICKIE

How can we help her?

Silence.

ANGELA

(after a beat)

There's nothing we can do. I mean, in my humble opinion.

RICKIE

Don't say that.

A beat. Then:

RAYANNE

We can't help her walk again. But we can do something.

ANGELA

What?

RAYANNE

We can make it right.

Rayanne hefts her shoulderbag, begins walking off.

ANGELA

Where are you going?

RAYANNE

To do. What I have to do.

RICKIE

What's that?

RAYANNE

I'm going to make it right.

ANGELA

How?

Rayanne stops, turns. The fading sunlight behind her renders her in silhouette. A breeze blows, sweeping through her hair. There's a hardness in her voice.

RAYANNE

Gonna ream me some Trenchcoat Ass.

Rickie and Angela watch as she walks off.

EXT. LOUIE'S PARKING LOT - NIGHT

Jordan Catalano sits in his Plymouth, listening to a Weezer tape. The passenger door opens, and Rayanne hops in.

RAYANNE

So. Catalano. D'you think you can get 'em?

JORDAN

Maybe. Whatever.

RAYANNE

Cool.

JORDAN

So can Tino.

RAYANNE

Tino's unavailable.

A beat.

RAYANNE

It's for Angela.

JORDAN

Yeah?

RAYANNE

Actually, Angela's friend. That girl, Sharon?

JORDAN

You mean, that chick who got, like, shot? She's kind of in a wheelchair now?

RAYANNE

Yeah. Tough luck, huh?

JORDAN

Whatever. So, she's, like, Angela's best friend?

RAYANNE

(beat)

I don't know about her best friend, I mean, they're still good friends, and all. Not that it matters to me.

JORDAN

Whatever. I know a couple guy's who've seen 'em.

RAYANNE

You mean the video tapes?

JORDAN

You know, whatever.

RAYANNE

Can you get 'em?

JORDAN

Gimme til Thursday.

RAYANNE

Cool.

EXT. LET'S BOLT - NIGHT

Angela and Jordan sit on the hood of his Plymouth. He kisses her. She kisses him back.

ANGELA

I was waiting for you.

JORDAN

Sorry.

ANGELA(VO)

I will not be clingy. I am secure and self-possessed. I will not ask him where he was.

ANGELA

Where were you?

JORDAN

Had to meet Graff.

ANGELA

Rayanne?

(beat)

What for?

JORDAN

You know, whatever. Had to give her something.

ANGELA

(suspicious, getting angry)

You gave her something?

He smiles.

JORDAN

Not like that. Just a couple of video tapes. You know, bootlegs.

ANGELA

What?

JORDAN

You know, those guys, Derrick and Kevin. Whatever.

ANGELA

Derrick Foley and Kevin Duffy?!

JORDAN

So?

ANGELA

You mean those...video tapes they made?

JORDAN

So what?

ANGELA

(thinks a beat)

Oh, god. She's gonna go after them!

JORDAN

Who?

Angela turns to leave.

JORDAN

So where you going?

ANGELA

I can't let her do this alone!

She races off.

INT. MEDIA ROOM - LIBERTY HIGH - NIGHT

Rayanne picks the lock of the media room. Turns on a flashlight. Goes to a VCR.

She opens her oversized shoulder bag, pulls out THREE VIDEO CASSETTES. Pops them in. The tv cues up. The video plays.

TWO BOYS stare at the video camera. Straight at us.

It's DERRICK FOLEY and KEVIN DUFFY. Both wear combat fatigues. Derrick's got dirty blond hair curling down his neck. Kevin's got a dark crewcut.

RAYANNE

Talk to me, you little pricks. Let me taste your souls.

Kevin speaks to the camera.

KEVIN

(from the tv)

It's sum'ming we just gotta take care of, man.

DERRICK

(from the tv)

Something we had to do.

KEVIN

(from the tv)

You shitters didn't give us no choice.

DERRICK

(from the tv) I can't fucken wait to see the look on their faces.

Kevin hefts the SHOTGUN in his arms.

KEVIN

(from the tv)

Gonna look Kyle Vinovich in the fucken eyes when 'ol Marlene be pumpin' through his chest -- "look at the roach now, mo'fucker!"

DERRICK

(from the tv) It'll be just like fucken Doom!

As Rayanne watches the screen, her jaw tightens.

RAYANNE

You guys are real heroes.

DERRICK

(from the tv)

Yeah, and that fucken Sharon Cherski, Ms. All American bitch cheerleader, what a fucken skag! She'll be the first to get a taste of little Sheila. (he raises the Czech made M5 automatic, as if to shoot the camera) Budda buddda buddda!!!!!

KEVIN

(from the tv; sings)

"Wake up, little Sheila, wake up!"

Rayanne winces. She has to look away.

KEVIN

(from the tv) Yeah, see her fucken cheerlead without her fucken legs!

As they cackle in glee, Rayanne stares at them. Bores into their screen images. Tastes their souls.

RAYANNE

You pussies killed 16 people. A dozen were girls. One was a science teacher. Real fucking men.

She shuts off the VCR. Pulls out the tape, stuffs it in her bag. Heads out.

RAYANNE

They say vengeance is the Lord's.

She shuts the lights. As the room turns pitch black, we hear Rayanne's voice, ringing in the darkness:

RAYANNE

Just for tonight, it's gonna be mine.

EXT. OLDHAM HALL, LIBERTY HIGH - NIGHT

Outside, Rayanne picks the lock. Door quietly swings open.

RAYANNE

Yes!

She creeps down the hallway. Opens her flashlight. Finds it.

THE CUSTODIAL CLOSET

Feels the doorknob. It's open. She pulls it open, shines her light. It sits there. The MOP Brian used to clean up Sharon's mess.

Rayanne opens her shoulderbag. Takes out a small glass bottle. Opens it, puts it under the mop. And begins squeezing the dirty, grey mop hairs.

Drains enough liquid to fill half the bottle. It's Sharon's urine.

EXT. STEVENSON HALL - NIGHT

Rayanne jimmies the latch of one of the windows. Opens it. Climbs in.

INT. STEVENSON HALL - NIGHT

Rayanne takes out the BOTTLE of Sharon's urine. Walks down the hallway. Comes across Room 116: Ms. Chavatal's Science Classroom.

The door is shut, YELLOW CORDONING TAPE still bars entry to civilians.

Rayanne opens the bottle. Spills part of it's content in front of this door. Splashes the rest across the hallway.

RAYANNE

Come on, guys. Finish the job you started.

She stands there, silhouetted in the moonlight slicing through the windows.

RAYANNE

Come get some.

It grows darker. She hears a SOUND. A RUBBER SOLE squeaking on the linoleum. Then ANOTHER SQUEAK. Louder. Moving closer. She smells the leather.

They MATERIALIZE. From out of the walls. Through the lockers.

Two spectral nightmares, psychotic smiles on their faces. Derrick wields his M5, Kevin clutches his shotgun.

DERRICK Who's next?!

KEVIN

I smell me a Sharon Cherski!

Kevin looks up. Sees Rayanne, standing there, a shadow in the moonlight.

KEVIN

Look at what we's got here, Fols!

Derrick sees her, too.

DERRICK

It's Graff!

KEVIN

Hey, Graff, wanna take a hike in the broom closet?

RAYANNE

Shut up.

KEVIN

(to Derrick)

Maybe she wanna hop on 'ol Marlene, best fucken night of her life.

DERRICK

Marlene'd sure love it! She's gettin' wet!

RAYANNE

It's, like, tempting, guys.

She lifts a finger.

RAYANNE

But I just came here to ask you guys a question.

A beat. They're taken aback by Rayanne's composure.

RAYANNE

Do you know how to get to the next level?

DERRICK

What?

RAYANNE

Aren't you bored outta your skulls, like, walking the same halls, scaring the shit outta same people?

They stare at her. She's hit home.

RAYANNE

I mean, you, like, can't kill anyone, you're just a couple of spooks. No real ammo, no real guns.

(beat) Wanna take it to the next level?

DERRICK

Next level?

RAYANNE

Non stop play.

DERRICK

Infinite lives?

RAYANNE

Unlimited ammo. Just like fuckin' Doom!

KEVIN

How do we get there?

RAYANNE

Follow me.

She turns, begins walking down the dark hallway. Derrick and Kevin follow.

Rayanne walks into a large intersection in the hallway. The ghosts follow. She stops, turns.

There's a CHALK CIRCLE drawn on the floor, with SYMBOLS on four sides. She's just walked across it, to the other side.

Derrick stops Kevin. Inches from crossing into the Circle.

DERRICK

Hold on.

They see the CHALK CIRCLE. The gig is up.

KEVIN

Think we're fuckin' stupid, or what, bitch?!

RAYANNE

Nah. You're not stupid.

A beat.

RAYANNE

You're a couple of losers. Two wusses who had to hunt innocent chicks cause that was the only way you'd nail any of 'em.

Kevin's jaw tightens with rage. As his rage grows, the CHALK CIRCLE begins glowing. First faintly, then stronger.

RAYANNE

Couple of trenchcoat geeks who were so goddamn pathetic, they died virgins.

Kevin shakes with fury.

KEVIN

Shut yer fuckin' cunt, bitch!

RAYANNE

Have you even felt one, Derrick? Every babe has two, so you got a two hundred percent chance.

DERRICK

Shut up!

RAYANNE

No, you haven't, have you? You probably don't even know what a wonder bra looks like.

DERRICK

I said shut the fuck up!

RAYANNE

Oooh! Did I, like, hit a soft spot? Wanna kill me, now?

They seeth with rage, but don't answer.

RAYANNE

Or maybe you wanna nail me. Come 'n get me, pussy bitches. (beat) If you can get it up.

KEVIN

Fucken bitch.

The CIRCLE glows brighter.

RAYANNE Oh, that's right, you can't, cause I'm flesh and blood, and you're both a couple of spooks. (she poses, sexy) Can't touch this.

Kevin lifts his shotgun, FIRES at Rayanne.

BAKOOOOMM!!

Loud noise. But Rayanne still stands there. It's gone through her, just like a specter.

RAYANNE

Trouble performing?

Kevin screams with rage.

RAYANNE

You want me?

She steps into the glowing CIRCLE. It becomes a portal, envelopes her in darkness.

RAYANNE

(from the darkness)

Come get some!

Derrick and Kevin exchange a look.

DERRICK

Fuck! We can get her now! We can fucken get her!

They rush into the GLOWING, THROBBING PORTAL. Race after Rayanne.

KEVIN

FUCKEN BITCH!!!

INT. SPIRALING CAVERNS OF HELL - NIGHT? DAY?

Rayanne races ahead, down through the stygian darkness. Close behind, the psychotic teens are on her heels.

Derrick lifts his M5, FIRES! Clips her shoulder.

RAYANNE

Ahhh!!!

She's bleeding!

DERRICK

WHOOOO HOOOO!!!!! I got her!!

She stumbles, but keeps running.

RAYANNE

(under her breath)

Shit.

She picks up her pace. Runs deeper. Through the shadowy depths of this abyss.

INT. STEVENSON HALL - NIGHT

Angela crawls through the open window Rayanne jimmied open. Walks along the dark hallway.

ANGELA(VO)

Rayanne has, like, this magnetic pull. You just have to follow her. It's kind of like wanting to see an "R" rated movie, even if you have no idea what it's about.

Angela sees the urine stains on the floor in front of Ms. Chavatal's science classroom.

ANGELA

Walking past Ms. Chavatal's class- room is, like, really unnerving. Half the parents voted to tear it down. The other half wanted to turn it into a memorial. I'm not sure who won.

She walks further, deeper, into the dark. When she sees it:

The Portal. Still glowing. Still beckoning. She stares at it.

INT. DEPTHS OF HELL - NIGHT? DAY?

Rayanne races down a dark passage. That leads to a cliff. No where left to run. She stops. Turns. Faces the two rampaging teens.

Derrick smiles. Lifts his M5. Prepares to fire.

DERRICK

Last words, bitch?

When he hears the MURMURING. Kevin raises his shotgun. He's about to fire, when he also hears the MURMUR.

They look around them. GLOWING RED EYES, everywhere. Closing in on them.

KEVIN

The fuck?

DERRICK

(to Rayanne)

What the fuck is this, bitch?!

THE DEMON HORDE steps out of the shadows. Thousands of them.

A CLACKING storms through this sea of DEMONS, as each and every one of them LOCKS and LOADS.

CLACK! CLACK! SHUCK! SHUCK!

They raise their SHOTGUNS. Every demon has one.

KEVIN

Oh. No. Oh Jesus.

DERRICK

(unbelieving)

What...?

RAYANNE

Just like fuckin' Doom, guys.

The boys stare, in abject terror.

RAYANNE

Non stop play.

CLACK! CLACK!

RAYANNE

Infinite lives.

SHACK! SHACK!

RAYANNE

Unlimited ammo.

SHUCK! SHUCK!

DERRICK

Oh...Fuck!

RAYANNE

Oh, yeah. I Just have one more question.

The boys look at her, perhaps hoping for a reprieve.

RAYANNE

Do you believe in God?

They run. The Demon Horde gives chase. An endless, pulsating sea of them, rollling through the darkness of Hell.

Rayanne watches this. After a few breathless beats...

The non stop EXPLOSIONS of SHOTGUN BLASTS throb through the abyss. Derrick and Kevin's SCREAMS echo throughout the pitch caverns of Hell. And they never stop screaming.

A slow, evil smile creeps across Rayanne's face.

INT. LOWER DEPTHS OF HELL - NIGHT?/DAY?

Rayanne walks deeper and deeper into the spiraling depths of Hell.

When she comes across a familiar face: CHARLES MANSON.

Still missing his face, which he cut off, over a year ago. Dead. Now a doomed soul. Being tortured ceaselessly by a gaggle of DEMONS.

One of the Demons, a Rat Demon, sees her.

RAT DEMON

It's Graff. I can smell your blood, woman child.

Rayanne's arm, where Derrick shot her, is still bleeding.

RAYANNE

It's just a flesh wound.

A Snake Demon stops torturing Manson, looks up.

SNAKE DEMON

Hurmmmmm.......Grafffffff.....I've heard you ssspppokkken offf... onnllyy in legennnddd....

RAYANNE

It's moi. In the flesh.

The Demons begin to circle her.

RAT DEMON

Should we eat her?

SNAKE DEMON

Ssshhee lookksss ssssooooo goodddd....!

They begin to move in on her. A THIRD DEMON and a FOURTH join the fray. She stands, still, confident. Finally, she lifts a single finger.

RAYANNE

I just have one question.

A beat. They stop.

RAYANNE

What happens when HE finds out you losers caught me. And ate me. Before he had a chance to even lay a finger on me? Hmmmmm...?

A beat.

RAYANNE

He's not gonna be a happy camper, now, is he?

Slowly, the demons back off.

RAYANNE

Someone's ready for their SAT's.

(beat)

Now, just one more question: where do I find Sharon's essense?

SNAKE DEMON

Sssharron's esssensssse...?

RAYANNE

Don't play dumb with me!

(beat)

I'll call Him over here, right now and tell 'em you were gonna put me on the menu!

RAT DEMON

Yes. We seem to remember, now.

(pauses)

Her essense. It's in the Ninth level.

RAYANNE

The Ninth level, huh?

SNAKE DEMON

Yessss....and wwwee hope yyou arreee ssstupid ennnouggghhh ttto tttrryy tttoo rressscue ittt...

She smiles.

RAYANNE

Didn't come this far for nothing...

RAT DEMON

He'll smell you, if you go that deep. You won't escape Him.

SNAKE DEMON

Ttthinnkkk abboutt ittt... a ttthousssandd yyearss frrromm nowww yyou'll rrue thhe dayyy yyyou ccamme bbackk to Helll...

A beat. Rayanne thinks about this.

RAYANNE

Did'ya ever think it could be, like, the other way 'round?

And she turns and walks off. The Demons return to torturing Manson.

INT. DEEPEST LEVEL OF HELL - NIGHT? DAY?

Rayanne enters the Ninth level. The lowest. She sees it, in the middle of this pit. AN ORB, pulsating with a fiery glow.

She walks up to it. Lifts the orb. Holds it at eye level.

RAYANNE

Sharon.

ANGELA

Is that her soul, or something?

Rayanne whips around. Angela stands behind her.

RAYANNE

Angela?!

ANGELA

Rayanne.

RAYANNE

What are you doing here?!

ANGELA

Did you think I could let you go alone? I mean, to Hell?

RAYANNE

(touching Angela's cheek)

I told you, Angelfood! Never, ever follow me to Hell again!

ANGELA

Sharon's still my friend, too, Rayanne.

Angela sees Rayanne's flesh wound.

ANGELA

Oh my god...! You're bleeding!

RAYANNE

It's a scratch. It'll heal by the time we're back up top.

ANGELA

Oh. Good.

(sees the Orb)

Is that what I think it is?

Rayanne holds up the Orb.

RAYANNE

That it is. What I came for. What we came for.

ANGELA

Sharon's soul?

RAYANNE

Not her soul. Her essense. Her passion. Her will to live. Everything those pricks took away from her.

Angela takes the Orb from Rayanne.

RAYANNE

Careful with that.

ANGELA

Rayanne.

(holds it at eye level)

It's all in here?

Suddenly, it gets even darker. There's a RUMBLING in the distance. The girls run.

The RUMBLE follows them. The darkness surrounds them. DEMONS walk out of the shadows.

THE HORDE. All of them. Gathered. MURMURING.

THE HORDE

Blood. I smell it. She bleeds...

Rayanne and Angela keep running. Downhill. To the lowest depth of Hell. As far as they can go. They can't go further.

EXT. LOWEST DEPTHS - NIGHT? DAY?

Rayanne and Angela stand there.

The HORDE has gathered, surrounding them.

First, on one side. Then the next. And the next. They form a virtual wall of putrid, rotting, demon flesh.

Tens of thousands. Then hundreds. Finally, millions. All stare, BLOOD RED EYES glowing in the stygian darkness.

DEMON VOICES

(throughout the darkness)

Graff... Graff... Graff...

RAYANNE

It's nice to be wanted.

ANGELA

Rayanne.

THE DEVIL

Steps out of the shadows.

THE DEVIL

You should not have come back, Rayanne.

RAYANNE

Oh, y'think?

ANGELA

(whispered, to Rayanne)

What are you doing -- ?!

RAYANNE

(whispered)

Let me handle this, Angelika.

ANGELA

(whispered)

But he's the -- !

RAYANNE

(whispered)

I know what I'm doing.

The HORDE moves closer. The stench from their reaking bodies wafts over the girls.

THE DEVIL

I was magnanimous when you last visited my realm.

RAYANNE

And I was, like, a big part of getting you back on the throne, Luce. Get a memory.

THE DEVIL

I haven't forgotten. But it seems you've forgotten the true nature of the One Fallen from Grace.

RAYANNE

Nah. You're still the arrogant prick you always were.

ANGELA

Rayanne -- !

A beat. The Horde stares at Rayanne in disbelief.

RAYANNE

Maybe you know the answer to this one, Luce, cause I haven't got a clue: why do arrogant pricks always talk about themselves in the third person?

The Devil's features tighten with rage.

THE DEVIL

You're wounded.

RAYANNE

It's a scratch.

THE DEVIL

Alone.

RAYANNE

Angelika's with me.

THE DEVIL

Surrounded by the countless Legion of Hell. In the presense of the one whom the Lord Himself called the Morning Star, Son of the Dawn.

(beat)

And still, you mock?

The Horde moves in a little closer.

THE DEVIL

With but a single word I can have the Horde tear your fragile souls from your frail, mortal bodies, and bring me your still beating hearts. What can you do?

RAYANNE

Not much.

The Devil turns, faces the Horde. He's about to give a command. When Rayanne raises a finger.

RAYANNE

I just have one question.

A beat. That's a pin dropping in Kansas.

RAYANNE

What happens in a thousand years?

THE DEVIL

(pauses a beat, unsure) I don't follow.

RAYANNE

It's a simple question, Luce. What happens a thousand years from now. After I've been damned to Hell?

Silence.

RAYANNE

Y'never looked into the future? Or do you have a blind spot where I'm concerned?

The Devil silently stares at her. Thinks.

RAYANNE

Would you like to phone a friend?

Slowly, the Devil turns his back. Then, in a menacing whisper, says:

THE DEVIL

Go. Now. Never come back.

The Demon Horde MURMUR among themselves: "This is outrageous!" They move in closer.

THE DEVIL

Any shit demon that touches them will answer to me.

Angela grabs Rayanne's wrist.

ANGELA

Rayanne. Let's go.

The Devil turns back. Stares at Rayanne. It's venomous.

Rayanne just stands there. Stares him down. Engaged in a cosmic battle of "who'll blink first."

RAYANNE

First, he has to ask us to stay.

ANGELA

(incredulous)

What?!

RAYANNE

We'll go when he asks us to hang.

Absolute silence.

ANGELA

What are you doing?!

RAYANNE

If he asks us to hang, we'll jam.

A beat. Gods and Angels tremble in anticipation. Angela takes a step forward. Addresses the Devil.

ANGELA

Uh, excuse me...

(beat)

Excuse me...!

The Devil takes his gaze off Rayanne, looks at Angela.

ANGELA

(searches for words)

...could you, maybe...

(beat)

...ask us to hang? You wouldn't have to mean it, or anything.

The Demon Horde begins MURMURING, shifting. This is unprecedented! The Devil stares at Angela. His eyes boring into her soul.

ANGELA

Then we'll, like, you know, we'll go.

(beat)

Would that be okay? I mean, could you do that?

Again, silence. Almost an eternity. Then:

THE DEVIL

(long pause)

Why don't you girls...

(rage building)

"Hang."

RAYANNE

(like a shot)

Nah, we're cool, Luce, we gotta blow.

(then, to Angela)

Let's go, Angelfood.

The girls turn, and begin heading up. Toward the light.

DEMONS

Of every size and color stand in their way, reluctant to let them pass. As Rayanne walks toward them, Angela in her wake, they part like the Red Sea.

The Horde is so close, they form a narrow wall leading the girls up and out of the Abyss.

The closer they get to the light, the more Rayanne's wound heals. Angela turns to Rayanne.

ANGELA

How did you do that?

RAYANNE

Simple. Ol' Luce knows the score.

ANGELA

The score? You mean, like...?

RAYANNE

No, Angelika, not like a football game.

(beat)

He knows I'm bad.

ANGELA

You're bad?

She turns. Looks at Angela. There's an evil twinkle in her eye.

RAYANNE

He and I, like, both know I can outmaneuver his silly ass with half my brain playing Goldeneye.

(beat)

If I go to Hell, Angela -- ? A thousand years, tops, before I'm running the show. He knows this and I know this. I'm just letting him save face, now.

ANGELA

Wow.

(she shudders)

You WERE cutting it close, though, Rayanne.

RAYANNE

I knew what I was doing back there, you know.

ANGELA

You did?

RAYANNE

I knew I wasn't gonna go to Hell, just yet.

ANGELA

How'd you know that?

Rayanne looks at Angela. Gives her an irresistible smile.

RAYANNE

Cause you were with me, Chase.

ANGELA

So.

RAYANNE

It's something I've always known.

ANGELA

What's that?

A beat. Rayanne builds up to it.

RAYANNE

As long as Angelika's at my side, nothin' bad's ever gonna happen.

Angela smiles.

ANGELA

I'll always be there for you, Rayanne. So don't worry, okay?

RAYANNE

(smiles)

I know.

Angela gently cradles the Orb carrying Sharon's essense as they walk up and out of Hell.

INT. SHARON'S ROOM - NIGHT

Sharon's sleeping. Next to her bed, sits a STANDARD WHEELCHAIR, not the electric model. She's restless, a cold sweat breaks out on her forehead.

She's having another nightmare. Then, a SOUND. It's her window. The latch. Jimmied, from outside. It pops open.

Then, a TINY HAND lifts the window.

It's Rayanne. Quiet as a mouse, she climbs in. Walks over to Sharon, still gently thrashing in her sleep.

Rayanne touches her wet, cold forehead with her warm palm.

Sharon stops thrashing. And, for a moment, she's almost at peace. Then, her sleeping features harden again.

Rayanne hefts her shoulder bag, opens it. Pulls out the Orb. Opens the top. Puts her lips over it. And sucks out Sharon's essense.

She leans over Sharon, gently puts her lips over her's, kisses her. Deep. Long. Blows her essense between her lips.

Rayanne breaks off the kiss, watches Sharon.

Her hard, tortured features immediately soften. As if a great burden has been lifted.

A slow, sincere smile slides across Rayanne's lips.

FADE OUT

FADE IN

INT. SHARON'S ROOM - MORNING

The sun's just rising outside. Sharon stirs. Sits up. She looks out the window. Sees the SUN, peeking over the horizon.

Shuffles over to her standard wheelchair by her bed. Hefts herself off the bed, into her wheelchair.

She goes to the window; it's closed again. Unlatches it. Looks at the sunrise, breathes deep the morning mist.

Then she turns away from it, wheels herself over to her dresser. Her head is down.

Slowly, she lifts it, inch by inch. And looks in the mirror. Stares at herself. Then she picks up her brush, and begins combing her hair.

A tiny, barely visible smile creases her lips. She takes another deep breath.

This time, a full blown smile breaks out. And her eyes come back to life. She can look at herself again.

EXT. SEAVIEW CEMETERY - DAY

Rayanne walks through the gate. Along a path. Passes a GRAVE with a MARBLE TOMBSTONE. The name etched on it says:

NICHOLAS DRISCOLL.

She keeps walking. And now we see something we didn't before. She has a deep, red ROSE in her hand.

She passes several more plots. And comes across a simple GRANITE TOMBSTONE. Nothing fancy, it's unremarkable.

She walks up to it. Lays the red rose upon it.

It reads:

"ABBYSINIA CHURCHILL, 1982 -___"

Then, below:

"Saints and poets, maybe - they do some."

RAYANNE

Goodbye, Abby.

A SOUND. Behind her. She turns. It's Mrs. Churchill. Staring at her daughter's marker. A beat.

RAYANNE

Mrs. Churchill.

MRS. CHURCHILL

Rayanne.

(beat)

They told me I'd find Abby here.

Rayanne is silent.

MRS. CHURCHILL

It's beautiful.

RAYANNE

That it is.

They stare at Abbysinia's quaint, silent grave.

MRS. CHURCHILL

You and Abby were in Our Town?

RAYANNE

Yes, Ma'am.

MRS. CHURCHILL

Could you, please...tell me...

RAYANNE

You have to ask?

Rayanne takes her hand. Together they slowly walk away from Abbysinia's grave. Over the hill. As they begin to vanish, we hear Rayanne.

RAYANNE

...and on opening, night, I was so darn nervous, Abby had to sit me down and say, Rayanne, repeat after me...

And they disappear over the horizon.

FADE OUT

Next story

This is the last story so far by this author in this series. Check below for other contributions by this author.
expand

Other fanfiction contributions by this author

Reviews for this story

Rating Distribution:
11%0%5%32%53%
12345
Average: 4.2/5   4.2/5 (19 votes)
  • Eryn Quest commented on 07 Apr 2000:
    Okay, first of all, I have to say Collin Chang is one kick-ass writer with some major ingenuity for this craft. God... I have to admit I'm totally jealous of this gift he possesses. I am a writer myself, and don't think I could ever compare to his ability. <__Okay, enough of me jocking him.> (:-D) He's really creative. I never thought of MSCL being writen in a fantasy/occult form. This was excellent. And the way he meshed Rayanne and Hellblazer's John Constantine was absolutely genius. I also recognized shotgun face from The Preacher. I hope I'm not making him blush with all the compliments, I just really enjoyed the story. The character's were also believable as being the character's portrayed in MSCL, just slightly and artistically altered. You don't see much of that on fan fiction sites. Those characters are usually so flat and tedious, I can't bring myself to finnish digesting the rest of the material. I just got one thing to say for Chang's mastermind, WORD! I look foward to reading the rest of your stories.
  • Nyssa commented on 01 Jun 2000:
    I don't know....I didn't like it. The whole scene with Rayanne and the "ghost" in the bathroom was very Twin Peakish. It was alright, but not spectacular enough to knock my socks off.
  • Mike commented on 06 Jun 2000:
    I've been reading Collin's Hellblazer MSCL arcs since the beginning. This new story is his first in 3 or 4 years. I'm glad he decided to give us another story, even if it's the last Hellblazer arc he'll write. Quite frankly I was shocked to see this type of fan-fiction still going 5 years after MSCL original broadcast and was subsequently cancelled. Just goes to show you what a profound impact MSCL has had on us all.

    Anyway, on the specifics of the story. First thing I noticed about this most recent writing compared to his earlier stories is that he's being more sparse with detail and description, just saying what needs to be said and that's all. Seems to be effective overall, but gives a little too much of a skeleton to the story itself. Leaving imagination up to the reader is important, but not so much so that the story reads like a bunch of one word sentences. That's just my opinion on that, however. Overall, as usual, Collin shows an incredible ability at his craft and with storytelling in general. I'm envious for that myself. I would have appreciated a little more soul and heart with this story, but it's gothic after all, so maybe I'm asking too much.

    Bottom line: A creative story with excellent structure, good emotions and dialogue between the characters. All in all, this was a venture back to the Chang stories that are always worth the trip.
expand

Add your review


“My dad thinks every person in the world is having more fun than him.”

Angela Chase, Episode 1: "My So-Called Life (Pilot)"