Discussion for Episode 11: Life of Brian

General discussion about the nineteen episodes of "My So-Called Life". Note: Our episode guide can be found here.
RCBS
Overlooked Sibling
Location: 100 miles from Three Rivers, on the good side of the River

Re: Discussion for Episode 11: Life of Brian

Post by RCBS » Jul 11th 2011, 2:21 pm

Pretzels.
Last edited by RCBS on Dec 16th 2016, 11:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mutajon
Three Rivers Resident

Post by Mutajon » Jul 11th 2011, 4:20 pm

RCBS wrote:So, why did Brian not accept Angela's offer to dance?
I think the answer is in the title of the next episode - self-esteem.

It's obvious that Brian would have loved to hold (her hair smelled incredible) Angela and dance with her, but after she scoffed him just a few minutes ago, how could he look at himself in the mirror if he did?
"Aaaand dance by the light of the mooooon"

RCBS
Overlooked Sibling

Post by RCBS » Jul 11th 2011, 8:53 pm

Pop tarts.
Last edited by RCBS on Dec 16th 2016, 11:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mutajon
Three Rivers Resident

Post by Mutajon » Jul 12th 2011, 2:24 am

Great song :)

She not only called him heartless, she also scoffed him when he suggested that they may dance or want privacy. She was really mean and heartless towards him. I think that's the only scene in the entire series where I found myself feeling like I actually dislike Angela...
"Aaaand dance by the light of the mooooon"

Nicky_Driscoll
Frozen Embryo

Post by Nicky_Driscoll » Jul 12th 2011, 11:30 am

I think the reason that Brian didn't dance with Angela, is she was very clear that it wasn't like a date or something... For a moment, he had some self-diginity and wasn't going to bow to Angela. He knew what was up... He wanted her to want to dance with him to dance with him, not show Catallano that she was there and other boys were interested.

RCBS
Overlooked Sibling

Post by RCBS » Jul 13th 2011, 2:19 pm

Grapes.
Last edited by RCBS on Dec 16th 2016, 11:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jody Barsch*
Lifehead

Post by Jody Barsch* » Jul 15th 2011, 4:00 am

RCBS wrote:seriously though...she only called him heartless due to actions of her own. Then apologized and was trying to reconsile. He should have sucked it up and danced. They may have found some chemistry.
That's one of my proudest moments of Brian; I love that he doesn't dance with Angela. I especially love how he turns her down "Not with you". (And then the beauty of the show's writing and insight -- Brian immediately back steps from such a harsh stance with a qualifier about not caring about dancing, which mildly helps them both save face.) While I don't think Angela's to blame for Brian's choices in this episode -- prior to that moment she hasn't used him -- and so he doesn't have a reason to be angry with her, in my eyes, he definitely shouldn't dance with her. She hasn't done anything to deserve to be the girl who is unconditionally loved. I don't find her apology all that heartfelt or self-aware. She asks Brian to dance because she thinks he won't say no. Jordan didn't work out, and Brian's supposed to be a sure thing, regardless of her own behavior. That's when she takes him for granted in this episode, and Krakow rigtfully shuts her down. Cue one of my all-time favorite line deliveries: "They are going to have such a terrible time."
RCBS wrote:Pride should never stand in the way of opportunity.
The thing is, it wasn't an opportunity. If I was being really cynical and uncharitable, I might say it was an 'opportunity' for Angela to save some face, but I think that'd be inaccurate.
Last edited by Jody Barsch* on Jul 15th 2011, 4:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kickstart The Riches movie!

Superjesus
Overlooked Sibling

Post by Superjesus » Jul 15th 2011, 4:20 am

It would have been too easy for them to have Brian and Angela dancing together here.

The fact is, Angela was a total female dog (for lack of a better term) to Brian in this ep. It wouldn't have been right for Brian to just forget everything and dance with her now that she needed him (as opposed to the other way around). As much as Brian may be in love with her, he has feelings and she's just driven a road train over them. That doesn't get mended in a few minutes or with a dance at some lame school event.

Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Jul 15th 2011, 7:53 am

Superjesus wrote:As much as Brian may be in love with her, he has feelings and she's just driven a road train over them. That doesn't get mended in a few minutes or with a dance at some lame school event.
Brian is idealistic and he wants Angela on his terms, meaning he wants it to be real. He doesn't want some pity dance from her, but especially not after everything else that happened regarding the dance. Some guys might have jumped at the chance to dance with their dream girl, just to be close to her and be able to touch her, but Brian would rather have nothing than a fantasy. Like he explains in Self-Esteem, the reason Shakespeare is in love with his mistress is "She's not just a fantasy. She's got, like, flaws. She's real."
Natasha aka candygirl :: MSCL.com

Look, if this is weird for you, being tutored? I don't mind helping you a little longer.
You could have sex with me if you really want to help...I guess that's a "no"?