Nice review of the set at DigitallyObsessed

This forum is for questions/discussions about the now sold out first DVD box set by BMG / AnotherUniverse.
echamorro
Frozen Embryo
Posts: 3
Joined: Dec 2nd 2002, 4:13 pm
Location: Tinley Park, IL

Nice review of the set at DigitallyObsessed

Post by echamorro » Feb 7th 2003, 12:32 pm


User avatar
TomSpeed
Marshall Wannabe
Posts: 1226
Joined: Jan 13th 2003, 3:37 pm
Location: Tampa, FL, USA
Contact:

Post by TomSpeed » Feb 7th 2003, 12:41 pm

Thanks for directing us to that review.

I know most of the history about the Bonus Disc, etc. But, I'd like to think that if the current DVD sells really well, there will be a reissue. There will probably be bonus material on a reissued DVD. Hopefully, the right people will be involved to make it happen. We'll see.
TomSpeed

Patty: If Rayanne's not seeing you, and we're not seeing you, who is seeing you?
Graham: And how much of you?
Angela: Dad!
Graham: Oh, I'm sorry! I asked a question about your life, didn't I? Woah, what came over me?
http://www.last.fm/user/TomSpeed/

User avatar
fnordboy
Ed Zwick Wannabe
Posts: 1954
Joined: Sep 25th 2002, 10:29 am
Location: Exit 16E, NJ
Contact:

Post by fnordboy » Feb 7th 2003, 2:58 pm

TomSpeed wrote:Thanks for directing us to that review.

I know most of the history about the Bonus Disc, etc. But, I'd like to think that if the current DVD sells really well, there will be a reissue. There will probably be bonus material on a reissued DVD. Hopefully, the right people will be involved to make it happen. We'll see.
I doubt that will happen actually, if anything they will just run more (even that might not be possible though).

There is a lack of bonus material out there for the show from my understanding and what will show up on the AU bonus disc (if it ever comes) might be owned by AU, depending on the contracts they signed, I really don't know specifics on it.

They would most likely have to make new bonus materials and chances are that would be too costly. Plus I think BMG only had the rights to MSCL for a certain amount of time, which may or may not have passed yet.

User avatar
Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team
Posts: 5374
Joined: Dec 7th 2001, 3:05 am
Location: California

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Feb 7th 2003, 3:41 pm

Per Jason: "[BMG]'s rights expire in April. There will then be a 6 month sell-off period. After that, Buena Vista will control the masters again."

(as posted here)
Natasha aka candygirl :: MSCL.com

Look, if this is weird for you, being tutored? I don't mind helping you a little longer.
You could have sex with me if you really want to help...I guess that's a "no"?

User avatar
fnordboy
Ed Zwick Wannabe
Posts: 1954
Joined: Sep 25th 2002, 10:29 am
Location: Exit 16E, NJ
Contact:

Post by fnordboy » Feb 7th 2003, 3:54 pm

candygirl wrote:Per Jason: "[BMG]'s rights expire in April. There will then be a 6 month sell-off period. After that, Buena Vista will control the masters again."

(as posted here)
exactly what i was thinking about, but wasn't sure if I made it up in my head or not :?

User avatar
GaryEA
So-Called Addict
Posts: 773
Joined: Oct 30th 2002, 6:45 pm
Location: Exit 15W, NJ
Contact:

Post by GaryEA » Feb 8th 2003, 3:02 pm

There will probably be bonus material on a reissued DVD.
INT. LIVING ROOM DAY

Gary has invited a friend to his house for lunch. As he prepares it, his friend peers over the somwhat large library of DVD's.

"Gary, why do you have two sets of MSCL on DVD?"
"It's long story"
"Is this the same show twice?"
"Yes."


Long silence. The friend appears at the kitchen door.

"Okay, I'm stumped. Why would you buy it twice?"
"Told you. Long story."
"..."

(puts can of tuna down) "Okay, the first set was the initial release, but I didn't buy it from the company that sold th it with the bonus disc of goodies."
"Why?"
"Told you. Long story, and I really don't to start clenching my jaw again."
"Okay, okay. What about the second set?"
"That one has a lot of really good behind the scenes material."
"Like what?"
"Interviews, footage, tv spots. I dunno. Stuff a fan would really get into."


He goes back to making tuna salad. The friend looks back at the sets.

"Why didn't they do that the first time?"

He considers for moment.

"Look at it this way - I can make you a tuna salad sandwich. Maybe three or four if I wanted to, or if we're hungry enough. But that doesn't mean I can run a deli. Some people shouldn't run a deli when all they can handle is tuna salad."
"Understood."
"Coke or Diet Coke?"


END SCENE

Gary
(remembering film school fondly :D )

User avatar
Sascha (sab)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team
Posts: 1547
Joined: Jun 10th 1999, 5:20 pm
Location: Switzerland
Contact:

Post by Sascha (sab) » Feb 8th 2003, 6:50 pm

@GaryEA: LOL! :-)



But I don't expect a DVD reissue by Buena Vista in the next years either. But maybe in 5 to 10 years, when DVDs are an old and forgotten technology and everyone uses Blu-Ray Discs or holographic cubes or whatever, there may be a reissue just to put all episodes on one handy and HDTV compatible data medium. Or maybe an MSCL fan wins a billion dollars in the lottery and buys the rights from Disney to publish his own release and also pays for the MSCL get-together next year... <*dream*> :-)
Sascha A. Beck (sab) :: MSCL.com
www.mscl.com :: www.sablog.de

User avatar
TomSpeed
Marshall Wannabe
Posts: 1226
Joined: Jan 13th 2003, 3:37 pm
Location: Tampa, FL, USA
Contact:

Post by TomSpeed » Feb 8th 2003, 7:00 pm

Don't tease us about a reunion episode. Of course, a two-hour reunion episode would be fantastic. I have a feeling that we can only dream about one.
TomSpeed

Patty: If Rayanne's not seeing you, and we're not seeing you, who is seeing you?
Graham: And how much of you?
Angela: Dad!
Graham: Oh, I'm sorry! I asked a question about your life, didn't I? Woah, what came over me?
http://www.last.fm/user/TomSpeed/

User avatar
Nostradamus
Marshall Wannabe
Posts: 1213
Joined: Jun 29th 2002, 6:42 am
Location: No matter where you go, There you are.

Post by Nostradamus » Feb 9th 2003, 5:42 pm

I think Sascha may have been referring to this, from the DVD FAQ:
sab wrote:What about a My So-Called Life World Convention?
Actually, we (the MSCL.COM team) thought about organizing a convention in Los Angeles a few years ago, but it turned out to be too difficult to realize. Maybe in 2004, when MSCL celebrates its 10th anniversary and if we find someone to sponsor and organize the event... (hint, hint ... :wink:
I've been meaning to ask if there is any news on this, though given the sponsorship problems and the widely scattered fans I can see how it would be difficult to pull off. :(

Maybe Bill Gates is a closet MSCL fan? :wink:
I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure.
-- Clarence Darrow

I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it.
-- Mark Twain

User avatar
TomSpeed
Marshall Wannabe
Posts: 1226
Joined: Jan 13th 2003, 3:37 pm
Location: Tampa, FL, USA
Contact:

Post by TomSpeed » Feb 9th 2003, 7:13 pm

Thanks Nostradamus :!:

I'd seriously consider going to a MSCL convention. I'm sure a lot of people would be interested. You're right though, it would take someone with deep pockets to make one happen.
TomSpeed

Patty: If Rayanne's not seeing you, and we're not seeing you, who is seeing you?
Graham: And how much of you?
Angela: Dad!
Graham: Oh, I'm sorry! I asked a question about your life, didn't I? Woah, what came over me?
http://www.last.fm/user/TomSpeed/

User avatar
Sascha (sab)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team
Posts: 1547
Joined: Jun 10th 1999, 5:20 pm
Location: Switzerland
Contact:

Post by Sascha (sab) » Feb 10th 2003, 6:01 am

Yeah, I was referring to a *fan* get-together :-)

I guess the money wouldn't be the biggest problem - if everyone pays a fee we should be able to rent a conference room or a ballroom for one night and maybe buy some snacks etc (at least for cast & crew). I don't think we could afford something like the John H. Mitchell Theater at the Museum of Radio & TV in LA (which would be *the* perfect place :-)), but we'd need at least a big screen to show one or two episodes.

The biggest problem is: Someone has to organize it. And a world convention (would be the first of its kind) is a *lot* of work.


Of course, we could also opt for the "down-sized" version: Just meet at somebody's private house in LA - without cast&crew. Depends on how many fans would come ;-)
Sascha A. Beck (sab) :: MSCL.com
www.mscl.com :: www.sablog.de

User avatar
lance
Ed Zwick Wannabe
Posts: 1983
Joined: Jul 6th 2002, 4:47 pm
Location: Santa Cruz, CA
Contact:

Post by lance » Feb 10th 2003, 10:14 am

Nostradamus wrote:I think Sascha may have been referring to this, from the DVD FAQ:
sab wrote:What about a My So-Called Life World Convention?
Actually, we (the MSCL.COM team) thought about organizing a convention in Los Angeles a few years ago, but it turned out to be too difficult to realize. Maybe in 2004, when MSCL celebrates its 10th anniversary and if we find someone to sponsor and organize the event... (hint, hint ... :wink:
I've been meaning to ask if there is any news on this, though given the sponsorship problems and the widely scattered fans I can see how it would be difficult to pull off. :(

Maybe Bill Gates is a closet MSCL fan? :wink:
If we were to plan this out pretty far in advance, this might give people enough time to save up for necessary travel arrangements. I do like the idea.

Best,

Lance Man

crimsonglowgurl
Liberty High Student
Posts: 108
Joined: Jun 4th 2002, 5:28 pm
Location: Ontario
Contact:

Post by crimsonglowgurl » Feb 11th 2003, 2:16 pm

lance wrote:
Nostradamus wrote:I think Sascha may have been referring to this, from the DVD FAQ:
sab wrote:What about a My So-Called Life World Convention?
Actually, we (the MSCL.COM team) thought about organizing a convention in Los Angeles a few years ago, but it turned out to be too difficult to realize. Maybe in 2004, when MSCL celebrates its 10th anniversary and if we find someone to sponsor and organize the event... (hint, hint ... :wink:
I've been meaning to ask if there is any news on this, though given the sponsorship problems and the widely scattered fans I can see how it would be difficult to pull off. :(

Maybe Bill Gates is a closet MSCL fan? :wink:
If we were to plan this out pretty far in advance, this might give people enough time to save up for necessary travel arrangements. I do like the idea.

Best,

Lance Man
YAAAA!!!! Imagine guys! We would have such a time!!! Time to spread the word to people with the $$$ and/or connections to get this thing planned!!!!

User avatar
Megs
Lifehead
Posts: 1185
Joined: Jun 30th 2002, 11:35 am
Location: NOVA
Contact:

Post by Megs » Feb 11th 2003, 2:24 pm

I think my husband (and everyone else in my life) would finally think that I went over the deep end. They don't understand the MSCL obsession as it is. Fly to CA and spend money and vacation time to meet people I don't even know? Yep. Crazy.

:wink:

Although I would totally be there if it were on the East Coast! I would love to meet y'all.
"I have all these dreams where I know exactly what to say. And you tell me, you know, that you forgive me."

User avatar
lance
Ed Zwick Wannabe
Posts: 1983
Joined: Jul 6th 2002, 4:47 pm
Location: Santa Cruz, CA
Contact:

MSCL Convention

Post by lance » Feb 11th 2003, 4:01 pm

I would have a better chance of going if it was in either the U.S. or Canada.

Best,

Lance Man

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests