found on the web ...

As the forum title implies: This is the forum for "anything else" which doesn't fit into one of the other forums.
starbug
Lifehead

Post by starbug » Jan 27th 2005, 6:02 am

Kristin wrote:But at least my footprint is like 15 less than the average person in the US (where I live).
Yeah, I wondered if they worked this out for different countries. The average in the UK is 5.3 apparently...
Nostradamus wrote:Actually, if everyone lived like me, the average human life expectancy and quality would be much higher. Advances in genetically modified food and industrial production will more than compensate for the increased consumption. Of course, privately funded space exploration will eventually make the terraforming and colonization of other planets feasible, so that's no big deal either. I'm just sayin...
0X
As I knew you would....... :wink: those quizzes are bound to be overly hippy. speaks the girl who quakes with guilt every time she sets foot in the local health food shop because she has a tendency to average 4 international flights per year. :oops:

---------------------------------------------
http://www.urban-hills.blogspot.com

wicked
Catalano

Post by wicked » Jan 27th 2005, 3:59 pm

CATEGORY GLOBAL HECTARES

FOOD 1.8

MOBILITY 0

SHELTER 1.6

GOODS/SERVICES 1.2

TOTAL FOOTPRINT 4.6

IN COMPARISON, THE AVERAGE ECOLOGICAL FOOTPRINT IN YOUR COUNTRY IS 8.8 GLOBAL HECTARES PER PERSON.

WORLDWIDE, THERE EXIST 1.8 BIOLOGICALLY PRODUCTIVE GLOBAL HECTARES PER PERSON.

IF EVERYONE LIVED LIKE YOU, WE WOULD NEED 2.6 PLANETS

hmmm seeems I could be doing much better.:(
"So this is hell. I'd never have believed it. You remember all we were told about the torture-chambers, the fire and brimstone, the "burning marl." Old wive's tales! There's no need for red-hot pokers. HELL IS - OTHER PEOPLE!"

grim4746
Krakow

Post by grim4746 » Jan 28th 2005, 2:51 am

I don't get this. I have a footprint of 4 and we need 2.2 planets for everyone to live like I do but Kristin's is 9 and needs 2.1 planets to for everyone to live like she does?!

I tried changing my answers to see what I could do to improve and apparently if I made the two small changes of becoming vegan and eating mostly local food then everyone could live like me and we'd only need this planet.

fnordboy
Ed Zwick Wannabe

Post by fnordboy » Jan 28th 2005, 3:04 am

FOOD 6.9
MOBILITY 2.5
SHELTER 4
GOODS/SERVICES 5.9
TOTAL FOOTPRINT 19

IF EVERYONE LIVED LIKE YOU, WE WOULD NEED 4.3 PLANETS.
Do I win a prize? :lol:

My solution, get rid of some people on this planet. :twisted:

starbug
Lifehead

Post by starbug » Jan 28th 2005, 5:53 am

fnordboy wrote: My solution, get rid of some people on this planet. :twisted:
Heh :-) I can think of a few nominees!

SanDeE*
So-Called Addict

Post by SanDeE* » Jan 28th 2005, 2:09 pm

grim4746 wrote:I don't get this. I have a footprint of 4 and we need 2.2 planets for everyone to live like I do but Kristin's is 9 and needs 2.1 planets to for everyone to live like she does?!
I'm in the US and you are in Canada... is that the difference? The avg. hecter-thing(?) for the US is 24. What's the avg. for Canada? Probably much less. So we could be about equal.

9:24 = 4: ?
Um, in my room, one seam is a little off and I stare at it constantly. It's, like, destroying me.

~~Kristin~~

Nostradamus
Marshall Wannabe

Post by Nostradamus » Jan 30th 2005, 7:55 pm

I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure.
-- Clarence Darrow

I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it.
-- Mark Twain

Sascha
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Sascha » Jan 31st 2005, 2:12 pm

Another one from Germany:
"If you don't take a job as a prostitute, we can stop your benefits"

It would be funny if it weren't true. :x

Nothingman
Liberty High Graduate

Post by Nothingman » Jan 31st 2005, 2:15 pm

I know it's in Germany so maybe child support isn't such a issue, but what happens if the egg is fertilized? Not that I'd enter, but if I was racing, I'd be hoping I had the slowest sperm on record. Super sperm would be the last thing I'd want to be good at.
"To come to your senses, you must first go out of your mind." - Alan Watts

SanDeE*
So-Called Addict

Post by SanDeE* » Jan 31st 2005, 5:29 pm

Are people seriously going to watch this? And I'm with Nothingman here - what happens to the egg when if it gets fertilized? Too weird for me. It's appalling, actually.
Um, in my room, one seam is a little off and I stare at it constantly. It's, like, destroying me.

~~Kristin~~

starbug
Lifehead

Post by starbug » Feb 1st 2005, 9:38 am

Sascha (sab) wrote:Another one from Germany:
"If you don't take a job as a prostitute, we can stop your benefits"

It would be funny if it weren't true. :x
That's horrifying! what's worse is that the government obviously thought about it and made a positive decision to do it. I could understand (maybe) if it were one of those jobs that kind of fell through the net in consideration and then a swift change in the law was made and recompense made to any people who'd actually been forced to do this.

I don't think it will last. Someone will take it to the ECHR under Art 3 (inhuman and degrading treatment), Art 8 (respect for private and family life) and probably win on both of those and an Art 14 (discrimination - although this depends on what the proportion of women vs men is in relation to prostitutes is in germany) claim. Art 3 will be the one that would swing it I would think, since it's non-derogable under any circumstances. It's definitely inhuman and degrading treatment if you're forced into prostitution - I'd be amazed if this lasts more than a year.

starbug
Lifehead

Post by starbug » Feb 1st 2005, 9:41 am

Kristin wrote:
Are people seriously going to watch this? And I'm with Nothingman here - what happens to the egg when if it gets fertilized? Too weird for me. It's appalling, actually.
I don't think there's an actual egg involved; instead they are using some kind of synthetic chemical 'lure' for the sperm, so they think there's an egg.

It is pretty low though. Ick.

wicked
Catalano

Post by wicked » Feb 1st 2005, 6:48 pm

a toe tapping tune for those of us who are addcited to ebay

http://www.geoffellis.com/ebay.html
"So this is hell. I'd never have believed it. You remember all we were told about the torture-chambers, the fire and brimstone, the "burning marl." Old wive's tales! There's no need for red-hot pokers. HELL IS - OTHER PEOPLE!"

grim4746
Krakow

Post by grim4746 » Feb 2nd 2005, 1:58 pm

I agree starbug, it's scary. IMO the German gov't has scared the world enough, do they really need to be forcing their citizens into the sex trade? Are we going to see women disfiguring themselves to avoid being raped by the state? It does present a good argument for other courntries not to legalize prostitution.

grim4746
Krakow

Post by grim4746 » Feb 2nd 2005, 2:09 pm

Kristin wrote:
grim4746 wrote:I don't get this. I have a footprint of 4 and we need 2.2 planets for everyone to live like I do but Kristin's is 9 and needs 2.1 planets to for everyone to live like she does?!
I'm in the US and you are in Canada... is that the difference? The avg. hecter-thing(?) for the US is 24. What's the avg. for Canada? Probably much less. So we could be about equal.

9:24 = 4: ?
Huh, the average ecological footprint in Canada is 8.8 global hectares per person. I'm sure it's just some simple math thing but it still makes no sense to me. Thanks for trying to help me out.