The DVD set on Ebay - Question

This forum is for questions/discussions about the now sold out first DVD box set by BMG / AnotherUniverse.
Post Reply
Double Espresso
Overlooked Sibling
Posts: 35
Joined: Nov 8th 2002, 6:37 am
Location: UK
Contact:

The DVD set on Ebay - Question

Post by Double Espresso » Nov 21st 2002, 7:32 am

If you take a look on ebay, copies of the complete MSCL on DVD are appearing all the time accompanied by messages such as "this is not yet released, the winner will be sent the set as soon as it is available". Strangly though, they're selling for something like $40, or certainly a lot less than AU are selling them for. How is this possible? My only answer is that Ross and Mike are putting them up on Ebay in an attempt to gain some extra cash, and that is why you people who've stayed with AU are getting told that you'll have to wait for the second wave or 3rd wave of deliveries. Any thoughts anyone?

User avatar
Sascha (sab)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team
Posts: 1545
Joined: Jun 10th 1999, 5:20 pm
Location: Switzerland
Contact:

Re: The DVD set on Ebay - Question

Post by Sascha (sab) » Nov 21st 2002, 8:26 am

Double Espresso wrote:If you take a look on ebay, copies of the complete MSCL on DVD are appearing all the time accompanied by messages such as "this is not yet released, the winner will be sent the set as soon as it is available". Strangly though, they're selling for something like $40, or certainly a lot less than AU are selling them for.
Remember, AU is not the only retailer from where you can (pre-)order this set. If you order 20+ sets at deepdiscountdvd for ~$45 per set, and sell them for ~$60 on ebay then you could make a nice profit. I bet this will continue for the next one or two years and the prices will rise from month to month, especially around Xmas 2003, when the dvd sets are not longer available in stores. It's been the same story with the VHS sets. :-(
Sascha A. Beck (sab) :: MSCL.com
www.mscl.com :: www.sablog.de

User avatar
Calhoun07
Overlooked Sibling
Posts: 49
Joined: Nov 12th 2002, 7:51 pm
Location: Kansas City

Post by Calhoun07 » Nov 21st 2002, 6:00 pm

Anybody who does that, IMHO, is reprehensible. The sets are already hard enough to come by, the thought of some people buying more copies than they need to make a profit off of them sickens me. We already have Ross asking the fans to bend over, he doesn't need anybody's help in screwing fans who may not get sets because there are those who want to horde for profit.

Jason R
"Mr. DVD"
Posts: 1627
Joined: Jan 30th 2002, 1:42 pm
Location: New York

Post by Jason R » Nov 21st 2002, 6:09 pm

Calhoun07 wrote:Anybody who does that, IMHO, is reprehensible. The sets are already hard enough to come by, the thought of some people buying more copies than they need to make a profit off of them sickens me. We already have Ross asking the fans to bend over, he doesn't need anybody's help in screwing fans who may not get sets because there are those who want to horde for profit.
this DVD is *not* so rare anymore. many more copies have been sold outside of AU. MANY, MANY.

User avatar
Calhoun07
Overlooked Sibling
Posts: 49
Joined: Nov 12th 2002, 7:51 pm
Location: Kansas City

Post by Calhoun07 » Nov 21st 2002, 6:12 pm

Who is producing them? BMG? I thought there were a set number of sets being produced, then that was it, that there would be a cut off point, it would eventually go on moritorium, and fans would have to wait for Buena Vista to put out a new set later on if they missed on on this one.

Even if there are a million available, I still think it's wrong for people on Ebay to try to take advantage of those who have already been taken advantage by Ross. If it's a legit retailer using Ebay, then that's cool, if it's somebody with an ulterior motive, then that's not cool.

Jason R
"Mr. DVD"
Posts: 1627
Joined: Jan 30th 2002, 1:42 pm
Location: New York

Post by Jason R » Nov 21st 2002, 6:16 pm

BMG is producing them. That's why I made a big stink about it in the first place. You can read about it a bit in the digital bits interview.
Calhoun07 wrote:Who is producing them? BMG? I thought there were a set number of sets being produced, then that was it, that there would be a cut off point, it would eventually go on moritorium, and fans would have to wait for Buena Vista to put out a new set later on if they missed on on this one.

Even if there are a million available, I still think it's wrong for people on Ebay to try to take advantage of those who have already been taken advantage by Ross. If it's a legit retailer using Ebay, then that's cool, if it's somebody with an ulterior motive, then that's not cool.

DoubleBilled
Three Rivers Resident
Posts: 60
Joined: Sep 23rd 2002, 10:50 pm

Post by DoubleBilled » Nov 21st 2002, 9:16 pm

Well as much as I hate that "They are on Ebay before I got mine" stuff, it's not illegal, and it's not reprehensible.

Legal "ticket scalpers" do it all the time. Around here we have 'ticket agencies' that scoop up tickets from TicketMaster for concerts and sell them for double the price. They hire homeless people to sit in lines all night long to get the best tickets first. I hate it, but there's nothing to do about it.


If I bought my set for $45, theres nothing in the world that says I can't sell it for $100. It stings, but can you be mad at someone for taking advantage of the great capitalist system of America?

db

User avatar
Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team
Posts: 5374
Joined: Dec 7th 2001, 3:05 am
Location: California

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Nov 21st 2002, 9:52 pm

When you figure how badly AU screwed their customers, it really doesn't seem so bad for people to sell sets on ebay and make some money too. Besides, at least the people who are buying on ebay know how much they are paying upfront (no double charges!).

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests