TVGuide Article, CDDA Logo on DVD's, Picture Qual....

This forum is for questions/discussions about the now sold out first DVD box set by BMG / AnotherUniverse.
scant
Tino

TVGuide Article, CDDA Logo on DVD's, Picture Qual....

Post by scant » Nov 16th 2002, 6:33 pm

Hello,

This is my first post. I have been a long-time-lurker but haven't felt the need to post until now. All in all, I am completely satisfied that finally, we all got(are getting) the DVD's. I ordered way back in March and never canceled, never was double billed, and was never sent any e-mails from AU, but I still receieved my set from them this week. I didn't cancel because I really wanted the lunchbox and the bonus disc and I also felt there was little chance I would easily be able to get a refund.

I also wonder if ones credit score goes down if one disputes a charge. Just like how in some states if you get into an accident and even if it wasn't your fault, your car insurance can go up because you might be flagged as a high-risk/accident driver.

Next off, on the actual DVD's, it says Compact Disc Digital Audio - don't know if it has been mentioned before or what.

On P. 5 of the Nov. 16-22 TVGuide there is a MSCL article below I will try to type it out.

Lastly, BMG could have done a better job in almost every aspect of the production of the DVD's, but I can't really complain, I got them and all in all, these probably will never be released or mastered again. However, while Brian is in the Principals office in Ep 3, Guns and Gossip, you can clearly see the lines that everyone is talking about. It is a shame that the artifacting wasn't corrected and it could have been, yes, I know about how they were mastered from tape and not re-mastered from the orginal negitive/film, but they still could have done some smoothing and noise reduction on the image. The issues with quality seem to get better, but on all the discs I can see major macro-blocking on background shades of color(like wallpaper or walls). One good way to see it is at every point when they show a black(green) board. Also, the intro for the show is all scenes from the pilot and in the pilot towards the end, it is nighttime and the scenes int he street with Angela and Brian after the cop drops them off has major macroblocking with the blacks, but in the intro which also shows this scene the blocking is absent. I wonder if they had a high quality source for the intro or if they just worked on the intro more. I seriously want to buy the original DVD Ep. 1-3 to compare the quality, since someone said it was slightly better.

There was a post in the Picture Quality thread with someone saying they might as well pop in their tapes cause it is about the same quality. Um, don't think so, but ok...

And please don't respond saying you don't see the quality issues if you have the brightness way down or if you aren't using a big-screen tv. I have a 27in.

Lastly, if anyone got this far, your a lifer, and I must know... Am I a freak and the only one who likes to watch the intro before every episode?

Cheers...
Were are finally getting them... Yey!

From TVGuide:
Title: LIFE GOES ON
Want an antidote to the teen complaint "No one understands me"? Pop in the newly released DVD of the ABC drama My So-Called Life. Almost everyone can relate to 15-year-old Angela Chase(Claire Danes, above) muddling though angst-ridden high school. And online store anotheruniverse.com is offering a limited-edition MSCL lunch box with an order of the DVD set-plus an exclusive interview with the series creators, who marvel of fans' passion for the program, which lasted just one season(1994-1995). Says creator Winnie Holzman: "It was our little show that could." And it still can. -Amy Kover

DrLemonBurn
Three Rivers Resident

Re: TVGuide Article, CDDA Logo on DVD's, Picture Qual....

Post by DrLemonBurn » Nov 16th 2002, 7:32 pm

scant wrote:Lastly, if anyone got this far, your a lifer, and I must know... Am I a freak and the only one who likes to watch the intro before every episode?
No, I do that too! I mean, it's part of the show, isn't it? It feels weird to start in without really feeling it start. There's something about that little moment of anticipation that makes the whole thing more fun. Skipping it is like sex without foreplay. You don't get the whole experience. Not that I'd know. :?

So yeah... my answer is, "I watch 'em too."

(BTW, this was the second paragraph in your post that started "Lastly..." :P )
so says Sparx.

Cap'n Fool
Nicky Driscoll

Re: TVGuide Article, CDDA Logo on DVD's, Picture Qual....

Post by Cap'n Fool » Nov 16th 2002, 9:47 pm

scant wrote:<snip>

Lastly, if anyone got this far, your a lifer, and I must know... Am I a freak and the only one who likes to watch the intro before every episode?
Nah, you're not a freak. I can't skip this one, or the ones for Buffy or MST3K either. They're just great intros!

Cap'n Fool

scant
Tino

Post by scant » Nov 20th 2002, 3:41 pm

Thanks for letting me know I was not alone.

I watched the second half of an episode last night 'cause I watched the first half on tape before I got my DVD Box Set and I still had to sit through the intro music. It puts a smile on my face.

Jessica Popsicles
Let's Bolt Regular

Post by Jessica Popsicles » Nov 20th 2002, 5:20 pm

I also watch the intro before each episode, can't explain why but it seems better if you do.

Another thing, does anyone else feel that the little thing at the end of the episodes for the Bedford Falls Co. with the little house and "and dance by the light of the moon"(?) makes the show end on an even more creepy note?

Not that the show is creepy but when it ends it just leaves you feeling a certain way and that thing seems to add to it.

Uhm OK, I'm all done now.
+it can't be all that hard if you can sum it up in a postcard.

SanDeE*
So-Called Addict

Post by SanDeE* » Nov 20th 2002, 5:59 pm

I just got mine delivered from amazon a few hours ago, and I've watched the first two episodes. I'm afraid to pause it! Doesn't that just seem totally weird? It's like I won't have them anymore if I pause it. Maybe the cold I've had for two weeks is effecting my brain. Time to recover!

And yes, I think the Bedford Falls jingle is creepy too. Music is so cool - I mean the way it can trigger emotions out of nowhere. I should try to figure out the chords sometime. (Yes we music students are crazy... or that might still be my head cold:))

NIGHTJESSI
Angelica

Watching the intro

Post by NIGHTJESSI » Nov 21st 2002, 3:18 am

When I got my DVDs, I was lucky enough to be getting ready to go on a five-day weekend so I had the luxury of watching all 19 episodes over the span of two days. And let me say that I watched everything from the intro through to the Bedford Falls outro simply because it's the entire show to me. There's just something about seeing all of it, even the credits, that just warms my heart. The only bad part about watching all the episodes so quickly is that I wanted to watch the DVDs again the minute Episode 19 was done.
"When you drink from the cup of life, chug." ~ Citibank billboard

katy
Overlooked Sibling

Post by katy » Nov 21st 2002, 10:18 am

It's strange because I have been known to fastforward through the credits of all my favorite shows...but for some reason the second I hear Rayanne say "Go Now Go" and the MSCL intro music starting, I get this weird rush of excitement and couldn't possibly fastforward, even if I wanted to. I feel giddy...EVERY TIME. And more often than not, I feel compelled to get up off the couch and do an "Angela happy dance".

I cannot explain it. I can only report it as the truth.

Logsama
Tino

Post by Logsama » Nov 21st 2002, 9:53 pm

Great thread!

I just have to say I feel sorry for anyone reading this article who orders from AU though.

Nostradamus
Marshall Wannabe

Post by Nostradamus » Nov 22nd 2002, 7:26 am

Speaking of the credits, did anyone else notice the Bedford Falls signature clip was missing from the end of "The Substitute"?

(I watch all the credits) :D
I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure.
-- Clarence Darrow

I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it.
-- Mark Twain

Jessica Popsicles
Let's Bolt Regular

Post by Jessica Popsicles » Nov 22nd 2002, 1:23 pm

Nostradamus wrote:Speaking of the credits, did anyone else notice the Bedford Falls signature clip was missing from the end of "The Substitute"?

Yeah, well I noticed that it was missing on one of the episodes so that must've been the one.
+it can't be all that hard if you can sum it up in a postcard.

K-man
Liberty High Graduate

Post by K-man » Nov 22nd 2002, 2:10 pm

It's like a law or something, you MUST watch the intro before taking in an entire episode. If you are just surfing and skipping to favorite scenes, then the intro is not mandatory. I also always watch the complete end credits 'And Dance By The Light of the Moon' included. I mean....I just have to. One complaint I have about the DVD's is they do not contain the ABC fade after the 'Dance by the Light of the Moon'. At least I have my copies off MTV with that. I guess it just reminds me of watching Life every night on MTV back in the good old days.
Daddy sold the farm and they've killed my trees. K-man

K-man
Liberty High Graduate

Post by K-man » Nov 22nd 2002, 2:15 pm

Maybe I'm out on a limb here and no offense to other posts but I NEVER got creeped out from the Bedford Falls closing. :?
Daddy sold the farm and they've killed my trees. K-man

Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Nov 22nd 2002, 3:20 pm

Nostradamus wrote:Speaking of the credits, did anyone else notice the Bedford Falls signature clip was missing from the end of "The Substitute"?

I did notice that too - I'm a credit watcher. My boyfriend's friend is a member of IATSE so whenever we go to the movies together, we stay for the credits while everyone else makes a mad dash for the door.

:D

Paint it black
Nicky Driscoll

Post by Paint it black » Nov 22nd 2002, 10:02 pm

well i would insult you about the whole waiting till the end of the credits things, seeing as who cares who the best boy, or worst boy was, however that picture of spike (at least i hope its spike or egg all over my face) is so damned cool.