Discussion for episode 18: Weekend

General discussion about the nineteen episodes of "My So-Called Life". Note: Our episode guide can be found here.
Mutajon
Let's Bolt Regular

Re: Discussion for episode 18: Weekend

Post by Mutajon » Nov 8th 2011, 12:13 pm

BuffaloLawnmower wrote: YAY! Another Twin Peaks fan! *hands you a damn fine cup of coffee and some cherry pie*
*Gulp* Why thank you! I've always wanted to try one of these :)
BuffaloLawnmower wrote: I actually DID like the second season, but I know that I'm in the minority. To my understanding, Lynch wanted to wait to reveal the killer but the suits at ABC forced his hand early, so he had to make do and I think that there are some great moments. I could have lived without all of the Donna and James stuff, though--in both seasons. Also the whole triangle with Lucy-Andy-Richard Tremaine. Still, those things aside, it's a close second to MSCL for the title of my favorite show.
* For me the first season of TP is on a par with MSCL in terms of overall quality across the board (directing, acting, music, etc). Both are just amazing.
I hated the fact that for the entire first season TP made the viewer believe that it's a realistic drama, and there was a strong feeling that there's a logical explanation to the murder. The whole approach they eventually took - [SPOILER COMING UP! RUN FOR YOUR LIFE!] a paranormal entity that takes over people and turns them into psychos [/SPOILER] - was extremely disappointing (to put it as mildly as one can), and not at all in-line with the "spirit" of the first season. If I remember correctly, I recall reading/seeing Lynch saying he didn't want to ever reveal the murderer, since the show was all about the mystery. Once the mystery was over so was the show! I felt that they completely lost themselves with the revelation and most of what came afterwards...
BuffaloLawnmower wrote: PS Just for your amusement:

"Twin Bricks" (Twin Peaks, quickly summed up in Legos)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zydZq2lVnns
I've seen this clip before! It's pure genius :-)
Thanks for the other recommendations. I'll see if I can get my hands/eyes on any of them.
BuffaloLawnmower wrote: Sorry to get off-topic, but I just had to share that.
Ditto. Back to MSCL it is!
BuffaloLawnmower wrote: I wonder if there are any good parodies/spoofs/tributes to "My So-Called Life" out there, speaking of those things? If anyone ever finds or makes any that are really good, I'd be glad to know!
Me too.
Although I thought that if anywhere here we'll be the place to find such things... alas there are non to be found.
"Aaaand dance by the light of the mooooon"

Jody Barsch*
Lifehead

Post by Jody Barsch* » Nov 13th 2011, 4:47 pm

BuffaloLawnmower wrote:I wonder if there are any good parodies/spoofs/tributes to "My So-Called Life" out there, speaking of those things? If anyone ever finds or makes any that are really good, I'd be glad to know!
2/8 Life, originally from Independent Comedy Network, is mostly a parody of Zwick and Herskovitz's Quarter Life, but the characters' names come from MSCL, and they kind of poke fun at Jordan being a dumb guitar player, etc., but it's definitely not directly based on the actual MSCL characters.
The only other thing I've found is this, and it's not exactly what you had in mind. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uBQHDzHrpd4
It's funny that there isn't more stuff out there, considering how much people love the show, and because it seems like MSCL would be parody gold -- Jordan and Patty especially.
Sometimes I write a little MSCL fanfiction: https://www.fanfiction.net/u/1039807/Jody-Barsch
Also, after multiple V. Mars reiterations, and finally a Deadwood movie, still wishing for some continuation of The Riches !

BuffaloLawnmower
Liberty High Student

Post by BuffaloLawnmower » Nov 15th 2011, 7:26 am

Jody Barsch* wrote:
BuffaloLawnmower wrote:I wonder if there are any good parodies/spoofs/tributes to "My So-Called Life" out there, speaking of those things? If anyone ever finds or makes any that are really good, I'd be glad to know!
2/8 Life, originally from Independent Comedy Network, is mostly a parody of Zwick and Herskovitz's Quarter Life, but the characters' names come from MSCL, and they kind of poke fun at Jordan being a dumb guitar player, etc., but it's definitely not directly based on the actual MSCL characters.
The only other thing I've found is this, and it's not exactly what you had in mind. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uBQHDzHrpd4
It's funny that there isn't more stuff out there, considering how much people love the show, and because it seems like MSCL would be parody gold -- Jordan and Patty especially.

The girl in the video has Angela's voice and inflection down pretty good, I think. For me, it wasn't so much what she said but how she said it and how much she sounded like Angela that was funny, plus she had her facial expressions and little mannerisms.

I don't know how to do it or else I would at least try, but if someone ever did MSCL in Legos, and it was genuinely funny, I think that would be awesome. I wish that I knew how to do that stuff. Hmmm...that would be a fun challenge to have here or a fun collaboration project.

Mutajon
Let's Bolt Regular

Post by Mutajon » Nov 15th 2011, 11:00 am

Jody Barsch* wrote: The only other thing I've found is this, and it's not exactly what you had in mind. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uBQHDzHrpd4
Ha! Nice find :)
"Aaaand dance by the light of the mooooon"

Kbranagh
Overlooked Sibling

Post by Kbranagh » Dec 16th 2020, 9:15 am

A nice little gem just near the end.
A so-called bottle episode to start to say goodbye to this amazing show and amazing characters. It feels like the writers knows of the imminent cancellation so they decided to let the characters to have fun. i always appreciated the character of Danielle, at the beginning she was underused but after "The Zit" everything changed and the writers starts to explored a bit more also her character and this episode is the culmination of that journey. We see the episode from her point of view but unlike "Life of Brian" there is a lot of space for the other characters and their story, maybe too much. The subplot of Patty and Graham with Neil and his girlfriend is fun because we able to see finally Patty lose control but there is a little flaw in all this, the character of Laura Innes is really annoying, maybe the first character that i don't like.

- I Appreciated that they introduced again the crush of Danielle for Brian, so adorable.

-One of the many things that i will miss of this wonderful show are the quiet and unspoken moments, like the little bit when Angela look with mixed feellings Rayanne and Danielle togheter in bed, the magic moments where the show works best.

-My favourite moment of the episode however is a segment just near the end, the bit when Angela touch Brian for the first time in the series! It was not a simple touch on the arm and shoulder but a true sign of affection, a phisical one for the first time ever! Angela and Brian knows all that and that's why they look embarrassed for a moment. What do they have in mind for this two in the last episode? I hope for something now that Jordan is out of the picture

- The great W.G Snuffy Walden in the cleaning montage and in the ending credits he used with a splendid reinterpretation the music moment of "Stranger in the House" the "connections" moment from the ending of that episode, i love this man.

Grade: A/B
"Or something'