Discussion for Episode 2: Dancing in the Dark

General discussion about the nineteen episodes of "My So-Called Life". Note: Our episode guide can be found here.
User avatar
TomSpeed
Marshall Wannabe
Posts: 1226
Joined: Jan 13th 2003, 3:37 pm
Location: Tampa, FL, USA
Contact:

Post by TomSpeed » May 30th 2003, 9:58 am

Thanks to TWoP, I have this question: What is a double ring wedding ceremony? Angela recounts the four, no...three times she's been kissed. One kiss occurred during a double ring ceremony.
TomSpeed

Patty: If Rayanne's not seeing you, and we're not seeing you, who is seeing you?
Graham: And how much of you?
Angela: Dad!
Graham: Oh, I'm sorry! I asked a question about your life, didn't I? Woah, what came over me?
http://www.last.fm/user/TomSpeed/

User avatar
Nothingman
Liberty High Graduate
Posts: 704
Joined: Feb 26th 2003, 3:39 pm
Location: Hockey Falls, USA
Contact:

Post by Nothingman » May 30th 2003, 10:22 am

As I understand it. A double ring ceremony involves each person slipping the ring onto the other person's finger when doing their vowes. A single ring ceremony is when only the bride has the ring placed on her finger. I think Angela mentions it because it's one of those little wedding things girls pay attention too. Guy's just want to know if they have to wear those really hot full backed vests, and if there will be alchohol at the reception.
"To come to your senses, you must first go out of your mind." - Alan Watts

User avatar
starbug
Lifehead
Posts: 1082
Joined: Jun 25th 2002, 4:51 am
Location: UK

Post by starbug » May 30th 2003, 10:47 am

hhehehehe :lol:

I always thought it meant that there were 2 weddings (like a joint wedding) going on at the same time!

For someone getting married next summer, I'm pretty ignorant :)

---------------------------------------------
http://www.urban-hills.blogspot.com
---------------------------------------------

User avatar
TomSpeed
Marshall Wannabe
Posts: 1226
Joined: Jan 13th 2003, 3:37 pm
Location: Tampa, FL, USA
Contact:

Post by TomSpeed » May 30th 2003, 4:42 pm

Another TWoP inspired post...
The slats in the banister morph into fence posts outside; Brian is rollerblading through the neighbourhood. He brakes and crankily greets Sharon, leaning against her mother's car, and informs her, "So, by the way, Chase is coming over tomorrow night to, you know, compile data." Is that what the kids are calling it nowadays? Sharon asks, "So?" Brian spits, "So...she's coming over! So...to help me! So that obviously proves that --" "What?" Sharon asks. "That you were obviously wrong about the whole situation." Sharon gives him a second-degree whatever face as she says, "Right. I was wrong, Krakow. Just keep telling yourself that." He blades off desultorily. Sharon preens in the sunlight. Sharon, if you're this jealous of Brian's crush on Angela, I think he could turn it to you pretty quickly if you'd stop being such a bitter beeyatch.
I never really thought of this scenario: Sharon has the hots for Brian. Well, I guess it could be true, esp. since this episode is pre-Kyle. HMMM. I wonder if Brian ever had a crush on Sharon. Could Sharon turn him easily from Angela at this time?
TomSpeed

Patty: If Rayanne's not seeing you, and we're not seeing you, who is seeing you?
Graham: And how much of you?
Angela: Dad!
Graham: Oh, I'm sorry! I asked a question about your life, didn't I? Woah, what came over me?
http://www.last.fm/user/TomSpeed/

User avatar
Hunee
Between Names
Posts: 155
Joined: Oct 19th 2003, 12:52 am
Location: EARTH!!!
Contact:

Post by Hunee » Oct 24th 2003, 9:39 am

Dancing in the dark is one of my favorite episodes... My favorite part is when Angela doesnt want to go talk to Jordan and finally she is looking out the window and as she starts to walk the dance instructor is speaking... lots of people try so hard but the cant hear the music then they start to feel lost so they want to look down... dont look down... it will throw you of balance and then you will loose your footing... so look straight ahead into your partners eyes and dont forget to smile... and then when she says hey and jordan smiles at her... its just so cute!!! umm also did anyone find it as funny as I did when Rayanne said what is it a volvo and then brian is like its a volumeter and then rickie and rayanne are talking about all kind of pressure and brian says just shut up...
so make the best of this test, and dont ask why
its not a question, but a lesson learned in time its something unpredictable, but in the end is right i hope you had the time of your life

Paulie 891

Post by Paulie 891 » Feb 27th 2004, 2:26 pm

Did anyone else notice in that dance scene, how Patty's skirt is changing?One minute it's a red skirt with white circles and the next it's just plain red?
Hmm, maybe I had too much to drink while watching this.

speechless

Post by speechless » Feb 28th 2004, 5:37 am

Paulie 891 wrote:Did anyone else notice in that dance scene, how Patty's skirt is changing?One minute it's a red skirt with white circles and the next it's just plain red?
Hmm, maybe I had too much to drink while watching this.
Well this show does have a lot of goofs, so maybe it has nothing to do with your drinking.

This episode is so cool.The way Patty says that Graham is dying to dance with other people just freaks me out.And the way he doesn't panick when obviously she is talking about life and other people in it, not ballroom dancing.

And, my god!The way Jordan attacked Angela in his car.I thought he's gonna rape her or something.What I don't get is how can she still be interested in him after that?One would think she'd be completely freaked out by that.Well, it's just a show, I guess-.

majesty
Three Rivers Resident
Posts: 52
Joined: Aug 2nd 2008, 5:01 pm

Re: Discussion for Episode 2: Dancing in the Dark

Post by majesty » Aug 3rd 2008, 6:55 pm

Favorite parts and commentary...

-This episode had one of the best openings of the series for me. I love her sitting in the classroom spaced out (and the kid beside her playing video games :lol: ) thinking about her past kisses. I love her humiliation in finding out that the second kiss was because of a bet. The whole sequence and the editing is just great here. :D

-Some of the lines Angela has concerning Jordan were among the first things that totally connected me to her character, because I could relate:
."If Jordan Catalano is nearby, my entire body knows it... I'll keep talking and stuff, but my mind won't even know what I'm saying."
."I have nothing else on my mind. How come I have to be the one sitting around analyzing him in like microscopic detail, and he gets to be the one with other things on his mind?" And Rickie's, "That is so deep." :lol:
.Plus, her whole speech about possibly wanting the fantasy more than the real Jordan. I thought only I was weird that way!!! :shock:

-I also like her line about "coming up with a combination 'you' right on the spot." It's something I never thought about before, but I totally agreed with when I first heard her say it.

-The whole car scene with Jordan was well-played. Her walking up, him turning around and being all gorgeous, him telling her to get in and her awkward laugh/snort in response (something I definitely would do). I think Jordan tried to French kiss her and he did it only because Rayanne told him Angela was French. I can't believe he fell for that lie. I also love how Angela handled herself. What was with that line about, "the fact that I still had an elbow" about, anyway? :?: That was odd. But I love that he opened the door right when she was ready to kiss him.

-Patti and Graham's frustrations were also well-played. I would have killed Graham if he said my haircut showed my ears more. What was that? :lol: I also love the subtext of him wanting to "dance with other people." Speaking of that, I always laugh at the scene where Neil is telling him not to have the affair. "Don't do it," he says simply. :lol: And he's all concerned about where he'll go for holidays. :lol:

-The way Patti and Graham make up is very sweet and passionate, and one of the great loving scenes for the couple. I really began to like them at this point.

-I love when Graham hang's up with his almost-mistress and an expressionless Angela is standing there. It tries to play it cool but the moment is so awkward, I always cringe. I can't imagine how I'd react.

User avatar
Cami A.
Catalano
Posts: 283
Joined: Feb 21st 2008, 5:36 am
Location: California, US

Re: Discussion for Episode 2: Dancing in the Dark

Post by Cami A. » Aug 4th 2008, 4:46 am

The opening for Dancing In The Dark was beautiful!
I totally know what you're talking about when you say you relate to how Angela felt about Jordan as expressed by those quotes. You're not the only one, friend!
Plus, her whole speech about possibly wanting the fantasy more than the real Jordan. I thought only I was weird that way!!! :shock:
I totally feel this way. In fact this is the way I am with love. It's more about the idea of the person than the actual person!
-I also like her line about "coming up with a combination 'you' right on the spot." It's something I never thought about before, but I totally agreed with when I first heard her say it.
YES! This was a genius line.
I totally feel this way all the time.
What was with that line about, "the fact that I still had an elbow" about, anyway? :?: That was odd.
This line wasn't at all odd to me. It was funny and adorable. She was basically so amazed to be alive and existing in that moment. That's what she means by "The fact that I still had an elbow" she was so thankful to be in her body at that moment so that her elbow could be touching his.
Speaking of that, I always laugh at the scene where Neil is telling him not to have the affair. "Don't do it," he says simply. :lol: And he's all concerned about where he'll go for holidays. :lol:
Neil is so cute! I love how he is truly "concerned" :roll:

My favorite part is when Brian is talking to Rickie and Rayanne in the kitchen about pressure--as you can see in my signature--Rickie's quote is one of my favorites!
But I also love when Brian tells Jordan that the fake ID says Angela was born yesterday, and Jordan totally doesn't get it!

And I don't know if anyone agrees, but I love the scene when Brian comes back in from talking to Jordan, leans on the kitchen door frame and watches Angela finish washing dishes in his sink...That moment was so sweet between them! Just the look on Brian's face says so much!
"So, the mouse makes pressure, just by breathing?...I can relate."

majesty
Three Rivers Resident
Posts: 52
Joined: Aug 2nd 2008, 5:01 pm

Re: Discussion for Episode 2: Dancing in the Dark

Post by majesty » Aug 4th 2008, 3:27 pm

I like that Angela came back and washed the dishes. Her way of sort-of apologizing.

User avatar
Cami A.
Catalano
Posts: 283
Joined: Feb 21st 2008, 5:36 am
Location: California, US

Re: Discussion for Episode 2: Dancing in the Dark

Post by Cami A. » Aug 4th 2008, 4:10 pm

Yes, that's why it was so sweet!
"So, the mouse makes pressure, just by breathing?...I can relate."

majesty
Three Rivers Resident
Posts: 52
Joined: Aug 2nd 2008, 5:01 pm

Re: Re:

Post by majesty » Aug 4th 2008, 5:13 pm

Graham's reaction to ballroom dancing- after the initial mocking, he agrees to go. But the way he says it to Patty makes it clear he's not entirely happy about it. Why does he do this? Is it to make clear that he is putting himself out about it? To make her feel like he's only doing it to placate her? I was always a bit confused about that.
My impression is that Graham was a bit thrown off by his discussion outside with Neil. Being told his marriage was the "happy" when he isn't at all happy and is, in fact, feeling guilty about an impending affair made him reconsider the ballroom dancing. I think, for him, it's like his last grasp at saving his relationship with Patti, but he still doesn't want to do it. He seems to have an attitude about it because... well, like Neil said, "[He's] already acting weird."

-LOL! I never even thought about Brian being the "lost fourth kiss" of Angela's. Wouldn't that be adorable? I've just always assumed she was mistaken about her kisses, especially since the last one doesn't technically count either. Just like my "boyfriend" from pre-school, which totally doesn't count. :lol:

-I also really thought the dress Angela was wearing was an odd fashion choice. It doesn't really suit her, IMHO, like it was something she would wear in her pre-Rayanne/Crimson Glow days (like the early outfits in the pilot). Looks like something Sharon would wear.

-I really love her "parents get psychic" line because it's also true. In fact, that whole part is one of my favorites. Their heart-to-heart, especially when she scrunches her face about kids going out in a "bunch." She's so cute and seems young there.

Megs wrote:Why does Graham speak so openly about his discretions to Neil in his kitchen? This always surprised/shocked me. Patty, or Danielle, or Angela could walk in at any minute, or overhear the conversation... You would think he would be a bit more careful. That also bothered me about The Pilot. He is talking to this woman not a block away from the home he shares with his wife and children.

Also Graham says, "We haven't really done anything other than talk." The "really" part throws me off. Did they do something else, like kiss?

Graham tells Neil to talk him out of it, but when Neil right away says "Don't do it", Graham gives him a look like he was not expecting Neil to talk him out of it. Then why ask? If Graham knows it's wrong, why does he need his younger, unmarried brother to talk him out of it? It seems like he was expecting Neil to tell him to cheat. Why does he need Neil's approval to go ahead and meet the girl at the hotel?

That's another thing that bothers me about this scene. Why does he refer to the woman he is "talking to" as a "girl"? ("I met this girl.") For God's sake, he's 40. She has to be in her late 20s or early 30s, right? Isn't that a woman? What does that say about how Graham perceives women?

Also, Graham assures Neil that no one is getting a divorce. Doesn't he think his infidelity is a cause for divorce? Does he just think that Patty will never find out?

Yes, the whole Graham-being-a-cheater thing bothers me a bit. :wink:
I thought Graham's expression after Neil's remark is because he was expecting something more meaningful. Like a whole speech on why he should stick to his sense of moral decency and family responsibility by not cheating, yet his brother only offers the simple, "Don't do it." And really, when you think about it, that's all that should be said. Graham already knows why he shouldn't do it so it's not as if anything his brother could say would help his decision in any way.

As far as divorce, I think that's what a lot of cheaters think. They don't want to totally walk out on the relationship, but they do want to walk out as far as being faithful. I guess he knows his marriage to Patti means too much to him to totally throw it away, but not enough for him to not deeply consider cheating. I think he also believes Patti won't find out. And I think it's significant that Graham never mentions being in love with this woman. He likes her enough, and he likes being around her, but I think he's really attracted by the idea of being wanted by someone else, like her "tie-grabbing" sealed the deal that made him want her.

It's also significant how Patti plays a part in the presence of these temptresses. Both would-be mistresses/affairs on Graham's part are in his lives indirectly through Patti. The "tie-grabber" is a customer for printing, the business Patti runs. And Hallie, of course, later comes into his life through the class in which Patti enrolls him.

-Also, mirrors. I love when Angela is pretending to kiss Jordan while she's in the mirror, then notices Danielle behind her. I always laugh. :lol: "Like when they first tell you about infinity." Good line. Angela and Danielle don't say anything in that awkward moment, just like when Angela overhears Graham on the phone.

And later, when Angela first arrives at his house, Brian appears to do a quick once-over in the mirror by the front door. Aww!

User avatar
Cami A.
Catalano
Posts: 283
Joined: Feb 21st 2008, 5:36 am
Location: California, US

Re: Discussion for Episode 2: Dancing in the Dark

Post by Cami A. » Aug 4th 2008, 6:03 pm

Really? I never noticed Brian check himself in the mirror before Angela comes over! That is cute! Danielle is great. Every line of hers is gold!!
"So, the mouse makes pressure, just by breathing?...I can relate."

User avatar
Jody Barsch*
Lifehead
Posts: 1166
Joined: Jun 30th 2003, 1:30 pm
Location: Los Angeles

Re: Discussion for Episode 2: Dancing in the Dark

Post by Jody Barsch* » Aug 4th 2008, 7:04 pm

majesty wrote:What was with that line about, "the fact that I still had an elbow" about, anyway? :?: That was odd. But I love that he opened the door right when she was ready to kiss him.
I liked Cami's interpretation, the idea that Angela was happy to be there in the moment to enjoy Jordan's sleeve touching her elbow, but I have always understood that line in a different sense. I hear that line in the context of the unexpected and somewhat aggressive kisses that had just occurred. Having to have just pushed Jordan off, straighten out her skirt, and readjust her jaw after having her mouth forced open wider than at the dentist, Angela considers that things could have gone much worse -- that the scene in the car may have progressed into an attack. Angela recently witnessed outside Lets Bolt how quickly things can escalate, and at this point she still doesn't know Jordan, and therefore we find her reflecting that she's lucky to be sitting there in that quiet moment, hoping for a kiss (or 'anything') after what had just transpired.
TomSpeed wrote:Thanks to TWoP, I have this question: What is a double ring wedding ceremony?
Nothingman wrote:As I understand it. A double ring ceremony involves each person slipping the ring onto the other person's finger when doing their vowes. A single ring ceremony is when only the bride has the ring placed on her finger. I think Angela mentions it because it's one of those little wedding things girls pay attention too.
This line always stands out to me -- I don't get why the writers included this. It does give a good rhythm to Angela's line, but in all my life I have never heard any real person talk about a wedding in this way. I think I remember a scene in an L.M. Montgomery book (author of Anne of Green Gables) and a moment in Dr. Quinn in which the grooms are unhappy to be asked to wear a wedding ring, but I'm assuming that since the late 19th century most weddings have been double ring ceremonies. The logic of this line troubles me more than the sweater and basement goofs combined. I know guys who have had their wedding rings tattooed on beneath their real rings, and a friend who carved his own ring out of wood, but I don't know anyone who has gotten married without a ring for the groom.
majesty wrote:I also really thought the dress Angela was wearing was an odd fashion choice. It doesn't really suit her, IMHO, like it was something she would wear in her pre-Rayanne/Crimson Glow days (like the early outfits in the pilot). Looks like something Sharon would wear.
I totally had a dress just like that in high school because of this episode, and don't doubt that I rocked it with my eight-hole brown Docs! I wouldn't wear it now, but I thought it was cute, and was definitely trying to emulate her look.
Last edited by Jody Barsch* on Aug 4th 2008, 7:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kickstart The Riches movie!

majesty
Three Rivers Resident
Posts: 52
Joined: Aug 2nd 2008, 5:01 pm

Re: Discussion for Episode 2: Dancing in the Dark

Post by majesty » Aug 4th 2008, 7:30 pm

I've always wondered about the double-ring thing, too. I've never heard of a "single-ring ceremony." I guess Angela mentions it randomly because of a kind of stream of consciousness thing. She is daydreaming, after all.

I, too, thought her elbow comment had something to do with her feeling unsafe but I couldn't connect it to what was going on in the scene. I like the interpretations you two have offered.

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest