Get the Media involved?

This forum has been closed and archived. No further postings allowed. Read-only access. For more informations read this announcement.
HeatherK
Nicky Driscoll

Get the Media involved?

Post by HeatherK » Oct 21st 2002, 5:52 pm

I was thinking---and emailing Ross about this---shouldn't we get the media involved in this fiasco? Surely there are magazines, etc. that would be interested in how some long-suffering fans have been royally screwed by this company.

Anyone have any ideas? Contacts?

andrewgd
Liberty High Graduate

Post by andrewgd » Oct 21st 2002, 6:21 pm

I've emailed a few comic book type portals such as Comicbookresources.com and comicon.com.

You can see a full list here:
http://www.mscl.com/forum/viewtopic.php ... highlight=

I'd suggest everyone write them about your own experience as to what has happened. Maybe if they see more and more emails about it, they'll realize this is a big story.
"Your imagination, like a child, will explode with unrestrained possibilities for adventure."

phelix
Yearbook Team

Re: Get the Media involved?

Post by phelix » Oct 21st 2002, 6:23 pm

HeatherK wrote:I was thinking---and emailing Ross about this---shouldn't we get the media involved in this fiasco? Surely there are magazines, etc. that would be interested in how some long-suffering fans have been royally screwed by this company.

Anyone have any ideas? Contacts?
You're best bet is local 6:00pm news, if you live in the same city as CMI They can sensationalize it as a mini-enron in their own back yard.

Another option is the cybercrime show on TechTV.

If you're so inclined, create a website detailing your frustrations. Do it right, and it should show up on google in any search that also brings up AU.

brainysmurf
Liberty High Student

Re: Get the Media involved?

Post by brainysmurf » Oct 21st 2002, 8:15 pm

You're best bet is local 6:00pm news, if you live in the same city as CMI They can sensationalize it as a mini-enron in their own back yard.
The local Sacramento television station has a group of volunteers that investigate fraud on the local level. You can tell them (it's called the Call 3 program) about your concerns online at http://www.thekcrachannel.com/call3/?z=nav

If there is enough interest or if the fraud is widespread they often will have a 5-7 minute section on the evening news devoted to it.

Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Oct 21st 2002, 8:28 pm

I was actually already looking into some media contacts over the weekend, but I left the info at home. I'll post some email addresses when I get home.

moviezzz
Overlooked Sibling

Post by moviezzz » Oct 21st 2002, 9:46 pm

I don't know if there is really much of a story here. It may seem like it to us, but to outsiders, it isn't big enough.

If AU skips town, closes down and we never see the discs, absolutely. But now that the discs are supposedly shipping soon, not much there. And, along the whole time, AU has had a phone number where you can call them to cancel at anytime. Most of us didn't since we were assured that the delay was for a good reason, or the overcharges were an accident, so we lived with it.

I've had worse internet experiences. Twice I've had sites I've ordered from hacked into and my credit card stolen. That wasn't fun.

But, a DVD being delayed for several months won't exactly get Diane Sawyer on the phone.

HeatherK
Nicky Driscoll

Re:

Post by HeatherK » Oct 22nd 2002, 1:45 am

Well I wasn't really thinking of a Diane Sawyer level, maybe just some tv and entertainment magazines or websites.

Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Oct 22nd 2002, 1:48 am

You can try contacting the Sacramento Business Journal at sacramento@bizjournals.com 916 447-7661 or the Sacramento Bee at ombud@sacbee.com 916 321-1000.

I filled out the Call 3 form, but apparently I was a bit too wordy so it didn't go through.

I miss the guy in San Diego who used to do the Call 3 type stuff. Ever see that Will Farrell skit on SNL where he yells, "I HAVE VOICE MODULATION DISORDER"? The guy in San Diego yells, "I AM MICHAEL TURKO!"

:D

So-Called Loon
Angela's best friend

Post by So-Called Loon » Oct 23rd 2002, 5:26 am

I sent a nice concise version of the whole nasty tale to a guy on a local TV station who investigates problems people are having with companies.

Haven't heard anything back. :(

Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Dec 7th 2002, 10:21 pm

moviezzz wrote:I don't know if there is really much of a story here. It may seem like it to us, but to outsiders, it isn't big enough.

If AU skips town, closes down and we never see the discs, absolutely. But now that the discs are supposedly shipping soon, not much there. And, along the whole time, AU has had a phone number where you can call them to cancel at anytime. Most of us didn't since we were assured that the delay was for a good reason, or the overcharges were an accident, so we lived with it.

I've had worse internet experiences. Twice I've had sites I've ordered from hacked into and my credit card stolen. That wasn't fun.

But, a DVD being delayed for several months won't exactly get Diane Sawyer on the phone.
Well, AU didn't skip town before shipping the DVDs but there are still people who haven't received their discs or their refunds. Now with the news of AU and CMIH splitting, is this newsworthy?

I encourage everyone to fill out the complaint form brainysmurf posted about at http://www.thekcrachannel.com/call3/?z=nav (click on the "contact call 3" link in the upper right corner) but beware that your story can't be too long or the form won't process correctly. You can also email your story to call3@thekcrachannel.com or call them at (916) 447-2255, M-F, from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m (PST)
Natasha aka candygirl :: MSCL.com

Look, if this is weird for you, being tutored? I don't mind helping you a little longer.
You could have sex with me if you really want to help...I guess that's a "no"?

So-Called Loon
Angela's best friend

Post by So-Called Loon » Dec 10th 2002, 5:20 am

I myself wrote:I sent a nice concise version of the whole nasty tale to a guy on a local TV station who investigates problems people are having with companies.

Haven't heard anything back. :(
As an update:

I remailed my letter some time ago and received a reply saying basically - Yes we should have informed you that we'd read your letter and although it sounds like a nasty situation and you've got all the details, it would be hard for us to cover the story considering it's international nature.

*** I wrote the letter before i knew that only the factory was in Hong Kong. ***

Although i didn't agree totally, the main reason given for not acting on my letter was that they didn't think the story could be condensed into a 1 minute 30 second spot on a news broadcast. Seems i was mistaken in thinking they sometimes handle problems they don't broadcast. :?
Been a member since sometime BR (before Ross)