Sit Back, Relax, Have a Coke and a Smile....

This forum has been closed and archived. No further postings allowed. Read-only access. For more informations read this announcement.
mog
Liberty High Student

Sit Back, Relax, Have a Coke and a Smile....

Post by mog » Oct 9th 2002, 3:11 am

and chill

seriously, stop the hate

i've been waiting just as long as the rest of you, and i am not posting thread after thread of garbage whining about waiting for the DVD's. i'm sick of seeing crap like "let's overthrow AU!!!!" etc

yes, we all are impatient after such a long time waiting, but we've been waiting for 10 months now (well, since we knew it was happening) so a month or two more is nothing

we WILL get the DVD's one way or another, and it's not like anyone here is poor -- or else you couldn't have ordered them in the first place (unless you are OCD)

Jason has done a great job -- way more than any of you could ever hope to do, creating history releasing a TV show to DVD by sheer will. we should thank our lucky stars it's even happening

Ross isn't trying to deprive you of your DVD's -- if he could, he'd have them to you yesterday. one man is NOT at fault. it takes a village. yeah, i know he's an easy scapegoat, but seriously stop

you've waited 8 years

2 months won't kill you

peace 8)

DrLemonBurn
Three Rivers Resident

Post by DrLemonBurn » Oct 9th 2002, 3:44 am

At risk of seeming naive, I'll second that. There's a lot here to warrant the reactions people are having, and I have no problems with genuine complaints (of which there are many), but things seriously are getting out of hand. It's one thing to post "Hey, I've been overcharged too!" to show how often it happens, or to ask mean-spirited but serious questions, but spewing out rehashed insults and just plain whining about not having your DVDs is getting pretty lame, and this forum is filling up with repetitious, mob mentality hate. Go ahead with it if it helps you deal with everything, but it seems like a lot of people here are just being mad to be mad.

Just my thoughts. There's plenty to complain about, so I can understand if it just keeps going on the way it has been; I just wish the complaining could be a bit more constructive. It's more entertaining that way. :D

I ate something I shouldn't have, I think, because when I stand up I feel like I'm going to vomit. :?
so says Sparx.

DrLemonBurn
Three Rivers Resident

Post by DrLemonBurn » Oct 9th 2002, 3:55 am

And I think it would be wise to have a 7up or ginger ale or some generic carbonated orange beverage rather than a Coke. I think caffeine is not a good idea for any of us right now. :wink:

Everybody raise your glasses! To Claire Danes, or Jared Leto, or whomever you have a crush on! Cheers!

Whatever. That was lame.
so says Sparx.

Hardware
Three Rivers Resident

Post by Hardware » Oct 9th 2002, 3:56 am

DrLemonBurn wrote:There's plenty to complain about
Blimey, talk about an understatement! Did you possibly describe the moon landing as "some bloke walking down a ladder"? :)

I agree that personal attacks and general insults really aren't going to get anyone anywhere, this project has just dragged on and on with no end in sight and some people (myself included) are out of pocket by over $100 (some more) for over two months. At the end of the day, why should AU have money that is mine to spend after repeated requests to refund me.

I've worked in retail - I know how long it takes to type in a refund request to a visa terminal - generally about 30 seconds. Ok, they have to cross check and see who's been charged what already, but the delays we've seen to date are inexcusable (which I think Ross would agree with, he certainly hasn't denied it).

You can't take people's money (double or triple) and promise them something and just not provide it and not expect people to get upset - that's life!

PS. Even when (if?) AU do refund me, I'll still be out of pocket as, being a UK customer, my bank will use different exchange rates for debits and credits, so I'm still likely to be $30 down on the deal - fair - I don't think so!

Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

a spade is a spade

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Oct 9th 2002, 4:21 am

It's not about patience - I can wait two months. I just want a reasonable time line, and when a "firm" date passes without shipment, I want an explanation and a realistic estimate. I understand that delays happen and there were a lot of unexpected delays, some of which are not AU's fault. What I am angry about is the lying, stealing, lack of communication, poor customer service, and numerous other things that, as you said, have been rehashed several times over.

I, too, sometimes tire of reading the complaints and negativity, but that prompts two responses from me: (1) you don't have to read them (it's usually pretty obvious from the thread titles which ones are full of bitching and which ones have information/updates and (2) people are complaining for a reason, namely that AU has done little to rectify the situation. "Sorry we STOLE $230 from you a couple months ago - you'll get your money back when we don't have anything better to do." That is not the way to run a company. And honestly, how many people would have paid the extra money for a lunchbox which is still sitting in Hong Kong and a bonus disc that still hasn't been pressed if they had known at the beginning of the year that they had a choice between that and getting just the DVDs for half as much at Amazon?

I am not trying to "overthrow AU," as you put it - I just want them to be honest about what is going on, upfront and swift about updates ("I don't know" just doesn't suffice for this long), and prompt with correcting errors/refunding money that does not belong to them.

As far as not being poor since I was able to afford this set, I am broke. As embarassing as it is to admit, I am broke. BUT because I was under the impression that this was a once in a lifetime pressing available only through a preorder with AU, I did the $20 deposit, thinking that I would have a few months to save up the other $80. I don't have a mommy and daddy paying my bills. I am up to my neck in student loan payments and bills so I don't have the luxury of buying $100 DVD sets every week. This was a special exception to my nonexistent budget, so I don't appreciate having that money taken from me months prior to receiving a product. As pathetic as it sounds, that $80 could have helped pay some of my bills. It's great if you're at a place in your life where you don't miss $100, but I am a recent college graduate so every dollar counts.

So as you can see, this is not a question of patience or negativity - this is a matter of what is acceptable business practice and doing the right thing. If stating the facts is negative, that's because AU has been doing some things wrong.

Everyone is entitled to their opinions, but if reading this kind of crap is a bummer then for the love of Pete, don't read it. I stayed away from the DVD forum for a while because it was bringing me down too. Now my OCD will not let me stop reading these threads until the set is in my hands.
Last edited by Natasha (candygirl) on Oct 9th 2002, 4:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

DrLemonBurn
Three Rivers Resident

Post by DrLemonBurn » Oct 9th 2002, 4:28 am

Blimey, talk about an understatement! Did you possibly describe the moon landing as "some bloke walking down a ladder"?
Nah, I'm from America; it was some dude walking down a ladder. :wink:

But yeah, "plenty to compain about" was very much an understatement. I've been waiting since early February, and I've had two unexpected semi-complimentary bonus charges. (I was told they'd be taken care of by now, but I haven't had time to check with my CC company.)

I've just canceled my order. It's all absurd the way it's been handled, and it's been too much for me. I'm totally pissed off by what's going on. I just never thought of MSCL fans dealing with their anger the way a lot of the people here are. It makes everything feel a little worse. :(

And for those of you who live outside the USA, I wish you all lots of luck, because it sounds like you'll need it. It sounds like you might save a little money if you flew over here in person to pick up your set. :?

And since this thread is supposed to be happy, check this out:

http://www.homestarrunner.com/
so says Sparx.

Anakin
Let's Bolt Regular

Re: a spade is a spade

Post by Anakin » Oct 9th 2002, 5:39 am

candygirl wrote:It's not about patience - I can wait two months. I just want a reasonable time line, and when a "firm" date passes without shipment, I want an explanation and a realistic estimate. I understand that delays happen and there were a lot of unexpected delays, some of which are not AU's fault. What I am angry about is the lying, stealing, lack of communication, poor customer service, and numerous other things that, as you said, have been rehashed several times over.
I'd second Candygirl. We're NOT plain whining about not having the DVDs. The DVD project is far behind the schedule, we're still not given a realistic estimate of shipping date now, and the customer service is not satisfied, our coordinator Jason is unreasonably accused. We're then again and again disappointed. And now we can see Amazon is selling the DVDs with an even lower price. We pay for the pre-order so many months ago, even we didn't really know the DVD could be produced by that time. We then paid for the full price before we get the product, and then we don't know when we can get our product. As customer, we do everything or more than what we should do. At least we should have the right to know the solid information about the schedule and the progress.
If you will not fight, then you will meet your destiny!

socalledfan
Angela's best friend

Post by socalledfan » Oct 9th 2002, 9:46 am

I understand where you're coming from...and no, it's not going to kill us. But I agree with Anakin and Candygirl. We have reason to be annoyed. It is our right to voice this, until someone gets their act together and speaks up over at AU, with an upfront statement about what EXACTLY they are going to do to ease our "pain"...lol.

Cause they really just don't seem to give a crap right now. They seem to be fine, just fine, with people cancelling and going elsewhere. What a terrible attitude.
"You're sooo beautiful, it HURTS to look at you."

Ross Rojek
AnotherUniverse.com

Post by Ross Rojek » Oct 9th 2002, 10:29 am

socalledfan wrote:Cause they really just don't seem to give a crap right now. They seem to be fine, just fine, with people cancelling and going elsewhere. What a terrible attitude.
Damned if I do, damned if I don't.

If I try and convince people not to cancel, you (or someone else) will jump on me for trying to rip them off or trying to avoid giving them their money back.

If I tell them they can cancel and get their money back so they can order from another place I'm accused of not caring.

socalledfan
Angela's best friend

Post by socalledfan » Oct 9th 2002, 11:01 am

Ross, thanks for your input. No one is asking you to beg us to stay... it would just be really great if you gave us a little something to believe in right now. Cause there is nothing right now that makes us feel that sticking it out with you will be the right thing to do. Doesn't that bother you?

I appreciate you posting tidbits of information here and there....but other things you have said are very vague and we just don't know what to do with that!!!

Like I said...you don't need to beg anyone. But a total defeatist attitude from you makes me feel worse. A little bit of "grovelling" if you will, wouldn't kill you. Give us a reason to stick it out with you by showing us how much you care. Your lack of interest in salvaging this project is apparent.

Look, I'm not trying to attack you. I just wonder why there hasn't been a formal statement posted here...or an email in people's inboxes stating what we need to hear from you. All we've heard is how easy you say it is for us to get refunds.

somamoon
Three Rivers Resident

Post by somamoon » Oct 9th 2002, 3:10 pm

HOMESTAR RUNNER RULES!!

I love Strong Bad...."jug jigga jug jigga jug jigga jug jigga jug jigga JAH JAH" :D

Hardware
Three Rivers Resident

Post by Hardware » Oct 9th 2002, 3:13 pm

Ross Rojek wrote:Damned if I do, damned if I don't.
Try shipping the bloody things and sorting out the overcharges, then perhaps people will be a bit more understanding.

Frankly your company doesn't deserve to see next year when you treat paying customers this way (but please send my DVD set to me before the administrators arrive).

socalledfan
Angela's best friend

Post by socalledfan » Oct 9th 2002, 3:37 pm

Right.

Funny how he never replied back to me.

SCF

Bitterman
Liberty High Student

Post by Bitterman » Oct 9th 2002, 3:51 pm

"Damned if I do, damned if I don't."

Not at all. How about this...

"Of course anyone who decides that they wish to cancel can, without any problems, just email me. However, if you stick with us, then good things X, Y and Z will happen; but I repeat, we will refund on request."

There you go, you do AND you don't and you're NOT damned. Customer service is not a difficult thing; it's easy with communication. For example, you could have done this:

"This mass email is being sent out to everyone who has ordered an MSCL DVD. We're sorry, but the original date we estimated to ship on, has turned out not to be possible. We will keep you informed."

That would have been better than... oooh... NOTHING AT ALL. And notice how there wasn't even a new estimate, in that example! Or how about this...

"We apologise for leading people to believe that the pre-order they made with us would be the only way to get hold of the set. We will, of course, be refunding the difference between what we originally charged, and what Amazon.com are now charging, because we are not rip-off merchants."

What we're actually getting is this:

"We promise the DVDs will be released last week. Um, actually, that's impossible - our time machine broke, so it will be tomorrow. Except that it won't because we're getting screwed by BMG, so expect them sometime this side of the end of your natural life expectancy, possibly before or possibly after Amazon release the set at half the price with a tenth the hassle. Plus, you'll be getting the bonus DVD, which we're effectively charging you $60 for, and it might actually have something on it, if you're lucky. God only knows when you'll recieve it, though, because we haven't even decided what's on it even though it was supposed to be released four months ago, let alone gone into production or anything useful like that. By the way are we pissing you off? I'm pissed off too. Why don't you cancel your order: it will make my life easier and I can flog the sets, with limited edition blank bonus disc and unpressed lunchbox lost somewhere in Hong Kong, on eBay for far more money than I could get from you suckers - maybe the bidders on eBay will not realise that "exclusive" means "you can buy it on Amazon for half as much"".

OK, so I'm paraphrasing. But not by much.

socalledfan
Angela's best friend

Post by socalledfan » Oct 9th 2002, 3:57 pm

Wow, that was dead-on.