DVD charges?

This forum has been closed and archived. No further postings allowed. Read-only access. For more informations read this announcement.

DVD charges?

Post by Guest » Mar 25th 2002, 3:37 pm

I'm wondering how many people are actually going for the full charge now deal. I want to be trusting and stuff, but it seems a little fishy to me.
I *really* want my box set though :(

Jason R
"Mr. DVD"

Re: DVD charges?

Post by Jason R » Mar 25th 2002, 5:23 pm

As I wrote, you can cancel very easily by clicking on the respective link. The fact is, that was written to reflect a very positive situation. There has been much progress and the project is on schedule. It is just that an authorization will not be valid 3 months hence, and AU will send a proof of sale to everyone, so they have written confirmation, by snail mail.

Maybe you will feel better when you read the press release, when it comes out.

somamoons
Overlooked Sibling

Post by somamoons » Mar 25th 2002, 6:21 pm

I say stick with it. I've ordered other stuff from AU before and they came through. And besides, it's a company - if they charge you and don't follow through on the deal, you can totally sue. Don't let the "what if's" stop you from being happy! :)

Jason R
"Mr. DVD"

Post by Jason R » Mar 25th 2002, 6:28 pm

There is credit card protection (for those using credit cards). There is mail fraud prevention (for those who mailed a payment). There are a lot of reasons why you should be confident this is coming through. I am hoping that the pending press release from BMG does some good to make your more confident.

Until we have artwork and stuff to preview for people, the best I can do is give updates. Some artwork, though, will be done in a matter of weeks.

Jason

Post by Guest » Mar 26th 2002, 6:05 pm

My credit card company will dispute charges up to two billing periods. I would be screwed if AU went bankrupt or something come June. I pre-ordered from Another Universe before, but they never charged my credit card before the item was ready to shipped.

What about the people who wrote a check to pre-order? Are they being charged the full price?

Post by Guest » Mar 26th 2002, 6:15 pm

If my credit card has already been charged, do I still need to click on the link in the email to approve the charges? Will I be charged twice if I do this?

Post by Guest » Mar 26th 2002, 10:27 pm

that's a good question. my card was charged, not authorized, already for the full amount. i know jason is working on trying to find out what happened with the credit card authorizations/charges, but i have not heard back since the email i sent about it all earlier (when he asked us to send him the info about the charges). i'm sure he's very busy, so it's not a big deal. i just want to make sure i don't accidentally get charged twice. any word on that yet jason?

thanks.
duncan (too lazy to register)

Jason R
"Mr. DVD"

Damn. Everyone is too lazy to register. :-P

Post by Jason R » Mar 26th 2002, 10:41 pm

The point of doing all of this is they can process the payments, send proof of payment and not have cards all going "bouncey bouncey" a week before ship date. You should not be charged twice. A few were charged twice. Very few compared to 2800 emails (less than 5 contacted me). Some may have hit enter 2x. Error is also possible. Everything is being followed up on.

Jason

Re: Damn. Everyone is too lazy to register. :-P

Post by Guest » Mar 26th 2002, 11:32 pm

Anyone else starting to smell a rat? Unfortunately, I happen
to recognize the aroma from personal experience. Tell me
"Jason", why has this most recent problem reared its ugly head? Why
did we not know about this before?

Cactus Jack

Jason R
"Mr. DVD"

Answering Cactus Jack

Post by Jason R » Mar 26th 2002, 11:44 pm

If you have a problem, email me and I will talk to you personally, by phone or any way you choose. If you smell a rat, you are free to cancel your order. And 1) that is my real name and 2) I would not sully that name. People write to me and get a very prompt response. As the package is put together, updates will be posted here, with photos and updates.

my email is ja5on@aol.com. I've been online with this name since at least 1994. If you want to Google me, go ahead and see if I exist or not.

For practical/safety reasons I don't give my phone number on a web site. Howeverm if you want me to call I will be more than happy to explain anything you want answered. In the meantime, there is absolutely no need to be unnecessarily nasty. No one is forcing you to do anything you don't want to do. The email you received gives you the option of cancelling.

To answer your question:
"Why have issues "reared their ugly heads?"
1) Because AU never took pre-orders 3-4 months in advance.
2) Because 3x more people than expected ordered in about 1/6 of the time expected. This is a good thing, but it moved everything up a lot.

A relatively small project became pretty big. They were going to accept pre-orders through August, but have already ended the pre-order period. If you had a bad experience with another online retailer, I'm sorry to hear that. But unless you had a problem with AnotherUniverse.com it is simply not relevant to this situation. But be careful about throwing around accusations.

Jason

wendylady
Tino

Re: Answering Cactus Jack

Post by wendylady » Mar 27th 2002, 2:15 am

I can vouch for Jason's promtness. My credit card was charged the full amount and I emailed Jason. He responded the next day.

somamoons
Overlooked Sibling

For Jason

Post by somamoons » Mar 27th 2002, 4:02 am

For the people that were already charged the money (those that notified you) - do we need to click the authorization link?

Jason R
"Mr. DVD"

Re: For Jason

Post by Jason R » Mar 27th 2002, 10:22 am

yes, because all it is doing is saying to turn the authorization into a sale. Since I bear the brunt of a lot of the emails received, I would not be a happy guy if people were double-charged. I'd be hearing it pretty quickly.

Jason R
"Mr. DVD"

Re: Answering Cactus Jack

Post by Jason R » Mar 27th 2002, 10:28 am

I spoke with Cactus Jack last night. (by IM) I'd expect he will weigh in here today.

Do I fault people for having doubts? No way! This whole project has been about overcoming a string of doubts. If there were no doubts, I wouldn't think I had something to prove to the entertainment industry. But my opinion is that this CAN change the way entertainment companies deal with their customers. Only about 350 copies of the first DVD sold at retail. Versus 2,800 box sets, comprised of 16,800 discs.

Listening to customers resulted in 48X more sales. In about a month's time (versus years for the other disc), and through a single sales channel. I'd say that is a major improvement.

Record execs feel free to email me at ja5on@aol.com :-)

Joanna
Angela's best friend

Re: Damn. Everyone is too lazy to register. :-P

Post by Joanna » Mar 27th 2002, 2:35 pm

LOL --- whoaaaa, things are really hitting up in this Forum! Yikes!

"And dance by the light of the moon!"