Has anyone seen the Bicycle Thief?

General discussion about the nineteen episodes of "My So-Called Life". Note: Our episode guide can be found here.
Post Reply
User avatar
sid_barrett
Let's Bolt Regular
Posts: 78
Joined: Sep 20th 2002, 3:27 pm
Location: Overlook Hotel

Has anyone seen the Bicycle Thief?

Post by sid_barrett » Oct 5th 2002, 11:36 am

Sounds like an interesting movie. Was released in 1948 and directed by Vittorio De Sica. Heres a short review: This landmark Italian neorealist drama became one of the best-known and most widely acclaimed European movies, including a special Academy Award as "most outstanding foreign film" seven years before that Oscar category existed. Written primarily by neorealist pioneer Cesare Zavattini and directed by Vittorio DeSica, also one of the movement's main forces, the movie featured all the hallmarks of the neorealist style: a simple story about the lives of ordinary people, outdoor shooting and lighting, non-actors mixed together with actors, and a focus on social problems in the aftermath of World War II. Lamberto Maggiorani plays Antonio, an unemployed man who finds a coveted job that requires a bicycle. When it is stolen on his first day of work, Antonio and his young son Bruno (Enzo Staiola) begin a frantic search, learning valuable lessons along the way. The movie focuses on both the relationship between the father and the son and the larger framework of poverty and unemployment in postwar Italy. As in such other classic films as Shoeshine (1946), Umberto D. (1952), and his late masterpiece The Garden of the Finzi-Continis (1971), DeSica focuses on the ordinary details of ordinary lives as a way to dramatize wider social issues. As a result, The Bicycle Thief works as a sentimental study of a father and son, a historical document, a social statement, and a record of one of the century's most influential film movements. ~ Leo Charney, All Movie Guide
im going to look into it.
"...and I said ' oh, oh, oh, oh, oh, oh, oh, what a feeling'"

User avatar
Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team
Posts: 5374
Joined: Dec 7th 2001, 3:05 am
Location: California

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Oct 5th 2002, 7:03 pm

I saw it when I was in college - just keep in mind that European movies are TOTALLY different from American movies.

:D

Guest

Post by Guest » Oct 6th 2002, 10:19 am

indeed they are. have you ever seen Salo?

User avatar
sid_barrett
Let's Bolt Regular
Posts: 78
Joined: Sep 20th 2002, 3:27 pm
Location: Overlook Hotel

Post by sid_barrett » Oct 6th 2002, 10:23 am

I actualy own Salo. went into it kind of blind. read a few things about it, sounded interesting, and it was cheap at the time. thats one F*** movie. thats why i was asking about BT, just in case yaknow :wink:
"...and I said ' oh, oh, oh, oh, oh, oh, oh, what a feeling'"

User avatar
fnordboy
Ed Zwick Wannabe
Posts: 1954
Joined: Sep 25th 2002, 10:29 am
Location: Exit 16E, NJ
Contact:

Post by fnordboy » Oct 6th 2002, 2:32 pm

sid_barrett wrote:I actualy own Salo. went into it kind of blind. read a few things about it, sounded interesting, and it was cheap at the time. thats one F*** movie. thats why i was asking about BT, just in case yaknow :wink:
Is it the Criterion Collection release of it? If so would you be interested in selling it? :)

I've been trying to get my hands on a Criterion copy of Salo.

sine
Three Rivers Resident
Posts: 58
Joined: Jan 16th 2002, 2:06 pm

Post by sine » Oct 6th 2002, 5:18 pm

candygirl wrote:I saw it when I was in college - just keep in mind that European movies are TOTALLY different from American movies.

:D
You know, the European cinema isn't all about Brechtian distantiation ;)

(as the U.S. cinema isn't all about Hollywood aesthetics)

Back to the topic: I, too, haven't seen the film. Why does Angela refer to it in the episode "Why Jordan can't read"? The dialogue goes like this:

Code: Select all

[on the north side of the gym, Angela prepares]
Angela  : Hi.  Oh, hi.  Hi.  Oh, hi.  Hi.  Hi.
[enter Jordan, with two buddies]
Angela  : Hi.
Jordan  : Hey. [buds give him some room] So, what's up?
Angela  : I can't get that song you wrote, like, out of my mind.
Jordan  : I, I'm still not done writin' it, so-
Angela  : Well, there's this movie and, um, and it kinda reminds me of your song...or...your song kinda reminds me of the movie but, um, hearing it kinda makes me want to go to the movie again.
["Hint, hint" look]
Jordan  : [really long pause] Oh, uh, yeah, we could do that.

[...]

Brian   : So, what, you and Jordan Catalano are, like, a couple?
Angela  : Yes, why is that so hard to accept?  He's coming over, and...we're probably gonna go see _The Bicycle Thief_ this weekend together.
So, obviously there's a connection between the song "Red" and the movie.
sid_barrett wrote:Lamberto Maggiorani plays Antonio, an unemployed man who finds a coveted job that requires a bicycle. When it is stolen on his first day of work, Antonio and his young son Bruno (Enzo Staiola) begin a frantic search, learning valuable lessons along the way.
Judging from the song and what sid_barrett wrote, the connection could be something about learning/finding something important in life.
G: it's a problem, when everybody is spitting in the same spittoon (I mean cuspidor). are you following my drift?
D: barely, but let's pretend that I am

-- New Planet, Milwaukee Youth Center Choir

User avatar
Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team
Posts: 5374
Joined: Dec 7th 2001, 3:05 am
Location: California

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Oct 7th 2002, 2:09 am

sine wrote: Why does Angela refer to it in the episode "Why Jordan can't read"? The dialogue goes like this:

Code: Select all

[on the north side of the gym, Angela prepares]
Angela  : Hi.  Oh, hi.  Hi.  Oh, hi.  Hi.  Hi.
[enter Jordan, with two buddies]
Angela  : Hi.
Jordan  : Hey. [buds give him some room] So, what's up?
Angela  : I can't get that song you wrote, like, out of my mind.
Jordan  : I, I'm still not done writin' it, so-
Angela  : Well, there's this movie and, um, and it kinda reminds me of your song...or...your song kinda reminds me of the movie but, um, hearing it kinda makes me want to go to the movie again.
["Hint, hint" look]
Jordan  : [really long pause] Oh, uh, yeah, we could do that.

[...]

Brian   : So, what, you and Jordan Catalano are, like, a couple?
Angela  : Yes, why is that so hard to accept?  He's coming over, and...we're probably gonna go see _The Bicycle Thief_ this weekend together.
So, obviously there's a connection between the song "Red" and the movie.

Judging from the song and what sid_barrett wrote, the connection could be something about learning/finding something important in life.
I think that perhaps that is what the writers' intent was, but as far as Angela is concerned I think that she was just looking for any excuse to officially go on a date with Jordan. If Rambo XXV was playing, she would have mentioned that instead. This is the way the female mind works :wink:

Notice that Jordan didn't ask why the song reminded her of the movie (or vice versa).

User avatar
sid_barrett
Let's Bolt Regular
Posts: 78
Joined: Sep 20th 2002, 3:27 pm
Location: Overlook Hotel

Post by sid_barrett » Oct 9th 2002, 5:32 pm

fnordboy wrote:
sid_barrett wrote:I actualy own Salo. went into it kind of blind. read a few things about it, sounded interesting, and it was cheap at the time. thats one F*** movie. thats why i was asking about BT, just in case yaknow :wink:
Is it the Criterion Collection release of it? If so would you be interested in selling it? :)

I've been trying to get my hands on a Criterion copy of Salo.

it is indeed a Criterion version. bought it way back when it was released. had no idea it would be worth so much. sorry cant part with it ATM :)

anyway, every one brought up some good pionts. at first i thought it would be a romantic type movie yaknow. after reading what it was, i was a bit confused. you guys cleared that up. your thearorys make sence.
"...and I said ' oh, oh, oh, oh, oh, oh, oh, what a feeling'"

majesty
Three Rivers Resident
Posts: 52
Joined: Aug 2nd 2008, 5:01 pm

Re: Has anyone seen the Bicycle Thief?

Post by majesty » Aug 6th 2008, 3:02 am

I saw it in college. It was a pretty good film.

User avatar
Jody Barsch*
Lifehead
Posts: 1166
Joined: Jun 30th 2003, 1:30 pm
Location: Los Angeles

Re:

Post by Jody Barsch* » Aug 8th 2008, 3:05 pm

Natasha (candygirl) wrote:I think that perhaps that is what the writers' intent was, but as far as Angela is concerned I think that she was just looking for any excuse to officially go on a date with Jordan. If Rambo XXV was playing, she would have mentioned that instead. This is the way the female mind works :wink:
Notice that Jordan didn't ask why the song reminded her of the movie (or vice versa).
I think also, as I believe was talked about in the episode discussion, Angela mentions this film because she thinks it will make her look intellectual and mature. It's nice that Three Rivers has a revival theater playing things like The Bicycle Thief and Giant.
Kickstart The Riches movie!

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests