Joan of Arcadia - a new show w/similarities

MSCL may be gone from the tv screen, but there are lots of good (and bad) new productions airing each week. Talk with other MSCL fans about your favorite shows or the shows you hate. Of course you can also discuss TV show DVD releases here.
andrewgd
Liberty High Graduate

Post by andrewgd » Dec 19th 2003, 3:26 pm

Did anyone else know that she's the girl from the beginning of the Ring that gets killed off?

I had no clue until I looked her up on IMDB. Surpised me.
"Your imagination, like a child, will explode with unrestrained possibilities for adventure."

Sascha
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Sascha » Dec 19th 2003, 4:33 pm

andrewgd wrote:Did anyone else know that she's the girl from the beginning of the Ring that gets killed off?

I had no clue until I looked her up on IMDB. Surpised me.
I read about it in some press statements from CBS some time ago. Surprised me too.

And yesterday an episode of "Without a Trace" from season 1 starring Amber aired here in Germany. She played a young girl who wants to kill herself because she accidentially killed her mother a few years ago.

Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Jan 25th 2004, 1:06 am

She also played Janice, Dawn's friend (she of the many sleepovers) on Buffy the Vampire Slayer.

I totally forgot to post this last week - according to this article, Joan of Arcadia has been renewed for a second season. Woo hoo!
Natasha aka candygirl :: MSCL.com

Look, if this is weird for you, being tutored? I don't mind helping you a little longer.
You could have sex with me if you really want to help...I guess that's a "no"?

Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Jul 15th 2004, 3:04 pm

Joan of Arcadia is nominated for two Emmys: Drama Series and Lead Actress in a Drama Series (Amber Tamblyn).

You can view the list of nominees here.

Look, if this is weird for you, being tutored? I don't mind helping you a little longer.

emmie
Liberty High Graduate

Post by emmie » Sep 18th 2004, 2:53 pm

I was able to watch a few rerun episodes this summer of Joan of Aracadia. like some other people pointed out, I thought it might be hokey. but in the desperation of not having cable, I've watched plenty of stuff on tv I never thought I would. it definitely has a MSCL vibe with the high school setting and the photography of the show. I like that it's not preachy like 7th Heaven, oh how I loathe that show! and I love the humor too when God tells Joan what to do. I just saw the season finale of last year and it was very thought provoking. I like it when stories make you believe something and then throw a little doubt in there. is she just sick or does she really receive messages from God?

Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Sep 18th 2004, 4:59 pm

I love this show. I can't wait until S2 begins on September 24th! I really hope that Amber Tamblyn wins an Emmy tomorrow night, but she's got some pretty tough competition. The other nominees for Lead Actress in a Drama are Jennifer Garner (Alias), Mariska Hargitay (CSI), Allison Janney (The West Wing), and Edie Falco (the Sopranos) who has won the last three of the four times she was nominated for an Emmy. Likewise, the other nominees for Drama Series are CSI, the Sopranos, 24, and The West Wing (which as won the last four years in a row).

Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Sep 20th 2004, 2:46 am

Disappointed but not surprised that JoA did not win either of the awards it was nominated for. At least Amber Tamblyn looked good. You can see pictures of her with her dad here and here.

ETA: There is also a picture of her presenting an award with Zach Braff for Outstanding Supporting Actress in a Drama Series here.

Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Sep 24th 2004, 5:12 am

Don't forget - S2 begins tonight!

:mrgreen:

emmie
Liberty High Graduate

Post by emmie » Sep 25th 2004, 9:04 am

candygirl wrote:Don't forget - S2 begins tonight!

:mrgreen:
and of course, I totally forgot to tape it! argh!! :evil:

Amika
Three Rivers Resident

Post by Amika » Sep 25th 2004, 12:02 pm

I just watched the season premiere! Did Amber Tamblyn get bangs or has it always been like that?

I know this show is not mscl, but it definitely holds a special place in my heart.

Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Sep 25th 2004, 5:14 pm

The bangs are new (some believe it is one of Joan's attempts to seem more normal).

emmie, I had to go buy a new tape last night just for JoA. Despite my excessive organization (OCD), last season's eps are spread over a bunch of different tapes that also have Angel amd Wonderfalls. This year I decided to get ultraorganized (the tv equivalent of the firsy week of school when I vowed to use all those folders and binder separators instead of just shoving everything into my backpack). Did you see the ep but not tape it or did you completely miss it? If it's #2 (say it like Beavis), the TWoP recap should be up in a few days.

Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Sep 25th 2004, 9:12 pm

emmie, the TwoP recaplet just went up:
Joan's back from a six-week stint at Mental Acres, with a newfound interest in making lamps even fuglier than the ones Dez used to make on Trading Spaces. Adam seems to be willing to entertain the notion that maybe Joan really was seeing God, but Joan won't have any of it. He also tries to reestablish their closeness, but Joan's weird and distant and uptight. Joan's gone back to working in the bookstore, but Sammy isn't all that sarcastic anymore. He's just stressed, because his wife is a basket case. A basket case with a dead rabbit named Lucinda, that is. Luke and Grace have been seeing each other all summer, but only under the provisions of a confidentiality agreement Grace has forced Luke to sign. All of last year's chemistry gang is in physics together this year -- with Ms. Lischak again, who is friskier than ever. And let's not forget Friedman, who's as obnoxious as ever. Will is bugging Kevin to go golfing with him; Kevin refuses at first for fear of looking dorky, but finally acquiesces. Will is stunned to learn that the family of Andy Baker -- Kevin's friend, who was driving drunk the night Kevin was in the accident that left him paralyzed -- is suing the Girardis. Will tries to resolve it on his own with the help of a lawyer, but ends up having to tell Helen, who is understandably upset by the news. Ever since the dream she had about God in the Season 1 finale, Helen has been considering resurrecting her Catholicism. To that end, has been secretly meeting with Father Ken -- and an ex-nun of his acquaintance who seems like the only Sisters of Mercy she'd know anything about are the ones with a record deal. A steady stream of popular first-season Gods -- Mrs. LandingGod, Cute Guy God, Little Girl God -- put in appearances trying to reach Joan. Cute Guy God may have succeeded, but you'll have to tune in next week to find out. The real question is: can God get Joan to change her new Emily the Strange hairstyle?
The full recap should be up in a few days.

emmie
Liberty High Graduate

Post by emmie » Sep 25th 2004, 9:54 pm

thanks for the recap Candygirl! yes, I totally missed the show. I had been mentally reminding myself to record it all day. and then as I walked out the door at 6, I completely forgot. I went by the TWoP site earlier today and they didn't have the recap up. I'm guessing the recaplet is just a shorter version until they get the other up, right? and you said it usually takes a few days for the entire version to pop up? I just started reading that site last month, so all the eps were months old. I missed Smallville too because I didn't get my new cable until thursday! ha ha

Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Sep 30th 2004, 3:54 pm

The recap is up now emmie!

emmie
Liberty High Graduate

Post by emmie » Sep 30th 2004, 8:36 pm

candygirl wrote:The recap is up now emmie!
thanks candygirl!! just in time to update me before tomorrow's eppy.