2007 Region 1 Complete Set Rerelease (ShoutFactory)

ShoutFactory.com will release on October 30, 2007 a new DVD set in the United States featuring serveral hours of new bonus material.
His_Girl_Red
Jody Barsh

Post by His_Girl_Red » Aug 13th 2007, 11:29 am

Natasha (candygirl) wrote: Interviews with cast & crew (those are *not* the interviews Dan did for AU) - Tom Irwin, Devon Gummersall, A.J. Langer, Devon Odessa, Wilson Cruz and Claire Danes (!) are confirmed so far, only Jared Leto and Bess Armstrong declined. The interviews aren't yet recorded, so we hope for even more cast members to join.
Though I think it's fantastic that those cast members want to do interviews, it saddens me that Jared and Bess won't do them. Their characters made such an impact on the direction of the show and I think it's important for them to sit down for an hour and talk about the show that not only gave them their starts, but a show that's still loved and still relevant today. I really hope they change their minds. How awesome would that be?!
"I was goin' nowhere,
goin' nowhere fast.
Drownin' in my memories,
livin' in the past.
Everythin' looked black 'til I found her.
She's all I need, and that's what I said.
Oooh, oooh, oooh, I call her `Red'."

His_Girl_Red
Jody Barsh

Post by His_Girl_Red » Aug 13th 2007, 11:33 am

Greybird wrote:From the Amazon.com listings ...

New set — Run Time: 1110 minutes
Original set — Run Time: 900 minutes

The difference — 210 minutes, or three and a half HOURS of added material!

(And that's not counting the audio commentary tracks which run along with selected episodes.)

If that one figure doesn't get people to buy this, I don't know what will.
Wow, this is awesome! I'm seriously thinking of buying two sets of this: one to keep nice in the shrink wrap and one to watch (obsessively). :) This isn't counting the fact that I have the original boxed set and a bootleg set I unintentionally ended up getting off eBay. A little much? Sure. But I can't wait to share this show with my kids someday!
"I was goin' nowhere,
goin' nowhere fast.
Drownin' in my memories,
livin' in the past.

dTheater
Liberty High Graduate

Post by dTheater » Aug 14th 2007, 6:07 pm

His_Girl_Red wrote:
Natasha (candygirl) wrote: Interviews with cast & crew (those are *not* the interviews Dan did for AU) - Tom Irwin, Devon Gummersall, A.J. Langer, Devon Odessa, Wilson Cruz and Claire Danes (!) are confirmed so far, only Jared Leto and Bess Armstrong declined. The interviews aren't yet recorded, so we hope for even more cast members to join.
Though I think it's fantastic that those cast members want to do interviews, it saddens me that Jared and Bess won't do them.
That quote was an April Fools joke from 4 years ago. Don't confuse that with the real interviews, which I believe is Wilson Cruz, Devon Gummersall, Claire Danes, and the crew.
- Jim

Kaytee Bodle: Girl With Guitar
http://girlwithguitar.0catch.com (audio, video, tabs, lyrics, etc.)

Jody Barsch*
Lifehead

Post by Jody Barsch* » Aug 14th 2007, 11:07 pm

Is it safe to presume that this release will be on a larger scale than last time? Obviously this $48 price is lower than what we paid last time for preorder, but I know a lot of us remember the insult (if not rage) that came when we saw the sets in stores for much less just a little later on -- I'm telling myself I might be able to find a lower price by waiting to purchase the set once it is released, but am I risking not being able to buy it all? How many people who went through the last ordeal are preordering this set (granted that clearly much of the problems of preorderingthe discs last time are irrelevant in this second, and better go around)? Thanks.
Sometimes I write a little MSCL fanfiction: https://www.fanfiction.net/u/1039807/Jody-Barsch
Also, after multiple V. Mars reiterations, and finally a Deadwood movie, still wishing for some continuation of The Riches !

Greybird
Let's Bolt Regular

Post by Greybird » Aug 15th 2007, 3:18 am

Jody Barsch* wrote:Is it safe to presume that this release will be on a larger scale than last time?
Yes, Shout Factory products are distributed nationally. They're not limited to any particular outlet. If Amazon.com has them, they're available to the book/video sellers' trade generally, and can be ordered freely, even if a particular store (on or off line) doesn't stock them.
I know a lot of us remember the insult (if not rage) that came when we saw the sets in stores for much less just a little later on [...]
I doubted, even at the time, that BMG Video ever intended to distribute the first set solely through Another Universe. The music clearances, mastering, design, and packaging were sunk production costs incurred in advance. Once BMG committed to it, a wider release was inevitable someday — if only to increase the chances of getting back what money they had committed.

I suspect that when BMG saw the ineptitude at AU, especially about the "premiums" (which were botched from the start), they accelerated the wider distribution they intended all along. But Jason R would know more about that.
[...] I might be able to find a lower price by waiting to purchase the set once it is released, but am I risking not being able to buy it at all?
I seriously doubt you're taking any risk. It'll be on the shelves in any stores that have a decent boxed-TV-series selection. That may not include ultra-mass outlets such as Wal-Mart or Best Buy.

(Though I did see a Best Buy carrying the first set, at $79, for a few weeks. I didn't bite. I found it a bit cheaper on eBay, a couple months later, just before it went out of "print.")

Any decent book/video store, such as Borders, will probably have it in stock for retail sale, at least for the first few months. Remember how the first set "showed up" in a Nebraska store, in front of Jason Schwartzman, in "Shopgirl"? That prop or product placement wasn't far from the retail truth ... when that movie was filmed.
Greybird of Starhaven
"MSCL" crazy since March 1995

MSCL Fan
Nicky Driscoll

Post by MSCL Fan » Aug 15th 2007, 9:12 pm

From Amazon.com:

"BONUS FEATURES; Deluxe 36 page book accompanies set and includes original art alongside full color cast photos and liner notes from Winnie Holzman, Joss Whedon, Janeane Garofalo, and Michele Byers. Packaged in 6 panel Digipak inside of a box with a casebound cover. Includes the 36 page perfect bound book and embossed title treatment on front.My So Called Life Story, A Conversation with Claire Danes, Marshall Herskovitz, and Winnie Holzman. Characters; Angela,the Chase Family,the Friends. Interview with Claire Danes.The Music, Highlights 1995 Museum of Television & Radio Panel, photo Gallery,7 audio Commentaries,5.1 Dolby Digital Sound, close Captioned."

Is this all we are going to get for bonus features? :?:

His_Girl_Red
Jody Barsh

Post by His_Girl_Red » Aug 16th 2007, 12:44 pm

You can pre-order the new My So-Called Life set through Boston-based Newbury Comics for $44.99. Here's the link to it:

http://www.newburycomics.com/rel/v2_vie ... 2666310558

I've dealt with them before and they're fantastic. They'll make sure it gets to your house either a couple of days before it's released in stores or just in time for it. It may not be free shipping like Amazon, but it's a little cheaper, so it ends up coming out about the same as if you ordered it off Amazon.

Figured I'd pass this along. :)
"I was goin' nowhere,
goin' nowhere fast.
Drownin' in my memories,
livin' in the past.

Sascha
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Sascha » Aug 21st 2007, 8:25 am

If you ever wanted to know how MSCL sounded in German, then take a look at this trailer for the upcoming german DVD release from EuroVideo:

willkommen im leben dvd trailer.mpg (MPEG, 15 MB)

Jody Barsch*
Lifehead

Post by Jody Barsch* » Aug 21st 2007, 12:59 pm

That's very cool; the words seem to match the lips pretty well, unlike the old Pipi movies, which is pretty much the limit to my experience with dubbing. The EuroVideo dvd cover is worse than the one for the US -- it looks like MSCL meets early Saved by the Bell, but again, the cover is what matters least. Will the dvd sets released in other languages contain the new bonus features? It seems unlikely they'd dub all of it, and I remember Candygirl (or is Natasha more appropriate now? :oops:) posting that dvd sets released in other regions often do not contain the same features, for various reasons. Am I right in thinking that this is the first MSCL release in German, or is it the second? It's cool that there are trailers! Am I hearing her incorrectly, or does Rayanne say "California" when she and Angela are bumming for money? Thanks for sharing SAB :D
Sometimes I write a little MSCL fanfiction: https://www.fanfiction.net/u/1039807/Jody-Barsch
Also, after multiple V. Mars reiterations, and finally a Deadwood movie, still wishing for some continuation of The Riches !

oaksand
Overlooked Sibling

Post by oaksand » Aug 21st 2007, 3:19 pm

at least they cared enough to trail it the uk release earlier this year was very low key and there were NO bonus features. i will probably have to buy this release as well

Sascha
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Sascha » Aug 22nd 2007, 6:36 am

Jody Barsch* wrote:Will the dvd sets released in other languages contain the new bonus features?
As far as I know, it's basically the same as the bare bones UK edition, just with german audio. They were trying to license bonus material from the upcoming ShoutFactory release but I don't know if it worked out. I highly doubt it, since the ShoutFactory DVD gets published six weeks after the german DVD. So the german DVD is most likely a bare bones release with no extras.
Jody Barsch* wrote: Am I right in thinking that this is the first MSCL release in German, or is it the second?

It's the first release.
Jody Barsch* wrote:It's cool that there are trailers! Am I hearing her incorrectly, or does Rayanne say "California" when she and Angela are bumming for money? Thanks for sharing SAB :D
No, she doesn't say "California". The german version of that scene is a pretty accurate translation of the original version. I guess you heard "telefonieren", which is german for placing a phone call.

Shukriyya
Tino

Post by Shukriyya » Aug 22nd 2007, 9:26 am

Jody Barsch* wrote:Will the dvd sets released in other languages contain the new bonus features? It seems unlikely they'd dub all of it, and I remember Candygirl (or is Natasha more appropriate now? :oops:) posting that dvd sets released in other regions often do not contain the same features, for various reasons.
On German DVDs the bonus features are usually only subtitled. (I don't think I've ever seen any dubbed bonus features...) I guess this is similar in other countries as well.

I'm pretty sure that they'd use it in the ad if the German release had any bonus features.
MSCL Fan wrote:Deluxe 36 page book accompanies set and includes original art alongside full color cast photos and liner notes from Winnie Holzman, Joss Whedon, Janeane Garofalo, and Michele Byers.
That's something I'd like to get, too. :)

So-Called Loon
Angela's best friend

Post by So-Called Loon » Aug 24th 2007, 6:25 pm

Ah-oh!

I wonder if this new release means my extra unopened original set isn't going to be worth the megabucks i'd hoped. :(
Been a member since sometime BR (before Ross)

MSCL Fan
Nicky Driscoll

Re: 2007 Region 1 Complete Set Rerelease (ShoutFactory)

Post by MSCL Fan » Oct 7th 2007, 1:51 am

Less than a month to go!!!!! Anyone excited??
By the way, anyone find out any more info on bonus features?

elz200
Tino

Re: 2007 Region 1 Complete Set Rerelease (ShoutFactory)

Post by elz200 » Oct 9th 2007, 3:23 pm

http://tvshowsondvd.com/news/So-Called- ... x-Art/8224

They've put up new pictures of the dvd box set. I'm not loving it but it's not terrible.