'Making of MSCL' Book in the works

Discussion about the "My So-Called Life" books. NEW: "Dear Angela", a collection of essays about the show.
asb813
Frozen Embryo

'Making of MSCL' Book in the works

Post by asb813 » Jan 7th 2020, 1:16 pm

Hi all – Hope it's OK to post this here. I'm currently working on a book called "So Beautiful it Hurts: The Making of 'My So-Called Life,'" and would love to hear your thoughts on what such a volume should include. Please also feel free to suggest any questions you have about the making of the show – there's a good chance I can get them answered if I receive them in the next few months or so. (To date I've interviewed nearly 30 members of the cast and crew, including Winnie and Marshall, Devon G. and Devon O., AJ Langer, Bess Armstrong and Tom Irwin.)

You can follow the book's progress here:

Blog: https://www.aaronsberman.com/blog/categ ... -life-book

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/msclbook/
All the best to you,
Aaron

Sascha (sab)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Re: 'Making of MSCL' Book in the works

Post by Sascha (sab) » Jan 18th 2020, 11:44 am

I'm still excited about your upcoming book and I'm sure I'm not the only one looking forward to reading all the interviews. Unfortunately, this site and forum has quite died down over the past twenty years, so you'll get more feedback from the groups at facebook.

Your list of interviewed members of the cast and crew is really impressive and I hope you can get in contact with more people involved in the show, especially of course Claire Danes. But I guess it's not really that easy to get an interview with her :) It could also be interesting to hear some voices from the "other side", like Ted Harbert, who was chairman of ABC entertainment at that time if I remember correctly. I think at one time he even chatted with the fans online on AOL in 1995 to answer questions which was highly unusal at the time.

I personally liked how Scott Ryan's "oral history" of "thirtysomething" presented the essence of his interviews with cast and crew, with behind-the-scenes photographs and excerpts from scripts, so I'm looking forward to see how you will put all the interviews together.

Anyway, thanks for doing this, it will be great to revisit the show after that many years.
Sascha A. Beck (sab) :: MSCL.com
www.mscl.com :: www.sablog.de

asb813
Frozen Embryo

Re: 'Making of MSCL' Book in the works

Post by asb813 » Jan 19th 2020, 11:01 am

Thank you so much for your kind words, Sascha – they're really greatly appreciated.
so you'll get more feedback from the groups at facebook.
Are there any that you would recommend?
But I guess it's not really that easy to get an interview with her
That would be fantastic – I'm hoping that she will have some time to consider talking to me once the launch of the final Homeland season winds down. Having heard so much about her from so many people who worked with her on MSCL, that really would be amazing.
t could also be interesting to hear some voices from the "other side", like Ted Harbert
I've made a few attempts to get in touch with people who were at ABC at the time, but it turns out they're the hardest to get contact info for. I'm especially eager to give them a voice in this book because I think they've gotten an unfair wrap over the years for cancelling the show. The cancellation is seldom given any context in terms of the business of television and how much it costs to keep a show on the air if you can't show advertisers decent ratings. (I didn't really appreciate this until I wrote a book on the '70s sitcom Soap and saw how that show's edgy reputation affected the rates ABC could charge for ads.)
I personally liked how Scott Ryan's "oral history" of "thirtysomething"
I'm a big fan of that book, too – it was one of the few times I feel like someone got the "oral history" format right in book form; it's so much easier to pull off in a long-read magazine article (e.g., the one Elle did about MSCL and the most recent one Hollywood Reporter did for Homeland).

That said, "So Beautiful it Hurts" is going to be written in a more traditional narrative form. There are just so many third-party details you have to include to get a deep understanding of how MSCL developed over time, I don't think it would work with interviews alone. Hopefully everyone will enjoy the result.

Thanks again for your support of this project :-)