W.G. Snuffy Walden's MSCL score

Talk about the soundtrack of MSCL. You can find a list of songs played in the episodes here.
JPP13
Angela's best friend

MSCL Theme.....

Post by JPP13 » Dec 18th 2002, 6:07 pm

Sorry if this has ever been mentioned before...but has anyone else noticed the similarity between the theme from My So-Called Life and the theme from St. Elmo's Fire? Yesterday, while watching Guns and Gossip (the ep which first hooked me), I was literally singing along the lyrics of St. Elmo's to the MSCL theme.

Has anyone else thought this, or am I just in need of medication? Try it yourself and see.

Megs
Lifehead

Post by Megs » Dec 18th 2002, 7:38 pm

That never occurred to be, and I love St. Elmo's Fire. Great movie. Oh, well, another excuse to re-watch the episodes! :wink:
"I have all these dreams where I know exactly what to say. And you tell me, you know, that you forgive me."

Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Dec 18th 2002, 10:41 pm

I never knew there were words to the St. Elmo's Fire theme until some girl sang it at a high school graduation. I love that movie!

:D

Maybe I'll try to synch the MSCL/SEF themes (kind of like the Pink Floyd/Wizard of Oz thing).
Natasha aka candygirl :: MSCL.com

Look, if this is weird for you, being tutored? I don't mind helping you a little longer.
You could have sex with me if you really want to help...I guess that's a "no"?

JPP13
Angela's best friend

Post by JPP13 » Dec 18th 2002, 10:50 pm

I'm dead serious on this. I'll go back and try and get the exact words with the exact measure, but I'm tellin' ya' (some grammar for you :) ) that its the same.

I'm a huge Brat Packer from way back.

Catalano
Frozen Embryo

Post by Catalano » Dec 22nd 2002, 5:05 pm

I read some place that Snuffy's score for MSCL contains pieces of music he actually wrote for The Wonder Years...They were never used for Wonder Years as they had elements which sounded a little 'too modern'.

If you can track the CD down, Snuffy also wrote some great music for 'ThirtySomething' (with the help of Stewart Levin and Jay Gruska - who has since scored some episodes of 'Charmed').

Sascha
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Sascha » Dec 22nd 2002, 5:39 pm

Snuffy did the score for a *lot* tv shows:

TELEVISION SERIES

Legend {P=Pilot , S=Series , T=Theme}

THE STREET (1 hr. - P,S,T) 20th Century Fox Television / ATG Darren Star, Jeff Rake, exec. prods. Michael Dinner, dir.

THREE SISTERS (1/2 hr. - P,S,T) NBC Productions Eileen Heisler/DeAnn Heline/Vic Kaplan, prods.

ROSWELL (1 hr. - P,S) WB/Twentieth Century Fox Television Kevin Brown/Jonathan Frakes/Jason Katims/Lisa Olin, exec. prods. David Nutter, dir.

THE WEST WING (1 hr. - P,S,T) NBC/Warner Bros. TV John Wells/Aaron Sorkin/Thomas Schlamme, exec. prods.

NORM (1/2 hr. - P,S) ABC/Warner Bros. TV Deborah Oppenheimer/Bruce Helford, exec. prods.

ONCE AND AGAIN (1 hr. - P,S,T) ABC/Bedford Falls Co. Marshall Herskovitz/ Ed Zwick, prods. Marshall Herskovitz, dir.

THE DREW CAREY SHOW (1/2 hr. - P,S) ABC/Warner Bros. TV Bruce Helford, exec. prod.

PROVIDENCE (1 hr. - P,S) NBC/NBC Studios Joseph Dougherty, exec. prod.Monica Wyatt/John Masius, prods. Mike Fresco, dir.

MAGGIE WINTERS (1/2 hr. - P,S,T) CBS/Fox Television Studios Bob Greenblatt/David Janollari, exec. prods. Suzy Friendly, prod.

IT'S LIKE YOU KNOW (1/2 hr. - P,S,T) ABC/Dreamworks SKG Peter Mehlman/ Ted Harbert, exec. prods.

FELICITY (1 hr. - P,S) WBN/Imagine Ent. Jeff Abrams/Brian Glazer/Ron Howard/Tony Krantz/Matt Reeves, exec. prods.Matt Reeves/Sally DeSipio, prods. J.J. Abrams, dir.

SPORTS NIGHT (1/2 hr. - P,S,T) ABC/Imagine TV Rob Scheidlinger/ Aaron Sorkin, exec. prods. John Amadeo, prod. Thomas Schlamme, dir.

CUPID (1 hr. - P,S) ABC/Columbia/Tristar TV/Mandalay Ent. Peter Guber/Scott Sanders/Joe Voci/Scott Winant, exec. prods. Rob Thomas/Tom Patricia, prod. Scott Winant, dir.

413 HOPE ST. (1 hr. - P,S,T) FOX/Twentieth Century Fox TV Damon Wayans, exec. prod.Dean Lorey/Annice Parker/Jeanne Van Cott, prods. Eric Laneuville, dir.

DELLAVENTURA (1 hr. - P) CBS/Rysher Ent. Danny Aiello/Richard DiLello, Exec. prods.Michael Dinner, co-exec. prod. Sascha Schneider/Danny Aiello III, prods. Michael Dinner, dir.

THE TOM SHOW (1/2 hr. - P,S,T) WBN/Universal Tom Arnold/J.J. Wall, Doug Jackson, prods.

EARLY EDITION (1 hr. - P,S,T) CBS/Columbia TV Michael Dinner / Bob Brush, prods.

RELATIVITY (1 hr. - P,S,T) ABC/The Bedford Falls Co. Marshall Herskovitz/Ed Zwick, Exec. prods. Jason Katims, co-exec. prod.

INK (1/2 hr. - P,S,T) Dreamworks SKG Diane English/John Amadeo, exec. prod. John Amadeo, prod.

MY SO-CALLED LIFE (1 hr. - P,S,T) The Bedford Falls Co. Barry Jossen, prod. Scott Winant, dir.

ELLEN (1/2 hr. - P,S,T) ABC Ellen Degeneres, Sam Froelich, Mark Grossan, exec. prod.Andy Weyman, dir.

SISTERS (1 hr. - S) NBC/Lorimar David Latt/ Anita Addison, prods.

ROSEANNE (1/2 hr. - S) ABC Marcy Carsey, Tom Werner exec. prods.

I'LL FLY AWAY (1 hr. - P,S,T) NBC/Lorimar Ian Sander, prod. Josh Brand, dir.

THIRTYSOMETHING (1 hr. - P,S,T) ABC/ MGM/UA Marshall Herskovitz/Ed Zwick, prods.

THE WONDER YEARS (1/2 hr. - P,S) NBC/New World Television

THE MONROES (1 hr. - P,S,T) ABC Rick Kellard, exec. prod.

SWEET JUSTICE (1 hr. - P,S,T) Columbia Television John Romano/Scott Brazil, prod. Michael Dinner, dir.

TOM (1/2 hr. - P,S,T) CBS Tom Arnold, exec. prod. Deborah Oppenheimer, prod.

THE JACKIE THOMAS SHOW (1/2 hr. - P,S,T) ABC/Lorimar Roseanne Arnold/Tom Arnold, prods.

CROSSROADS (1 hr. - P,S) ABC / Lorimar Bob O'Connor / James Sadwith, prods. Michael Apted, prod./dir.

LAURIE HILL (1/2 hr. - P,S,T) Disney Stephen Neigher / Mark Grossan, prods.

THE OUTSIDERS (1 hr. - S,T) FOX / Dydy Prods.

WORKING GIRL (1/2 hr. - P,S,T) NBC Television / Rush Hour Prods. Tom Patchett, prod. Matthew Diamond, dir.

FAME (episode) MGM

back

PILOTS

MORNING GLORY (1 hour pilot) CBS Nigel McKeand/Carol McKeand, prods. Donna Deitch, dir.

THE L WORD (pilot) NBC/Brillstein-Grey Winnie Holzman/Scott Winant, prods.

FRESH MEAT (1/2 hr. pilot) Warner Bros./WB Michael Petok/Pete Segal, prods. Pete Segal, dir.

SHERMAN'S MARCH (1 hr. pilot) 20TH Century Fox TV Scott Winant/Arnold Kopelson/AnneKopelson, prods. Scott Winant, dir.

THE CASTLE (1hr pilot) Bedford Falls/Ax-Head Prods./ABC Marshall Herskovitz/Ed Zwick, exec. prods. Marshall Herskovitz, dir.

THIRD COAST (1 hour pilot) 20th Century Fox TV Rob Thomas, prod.

There's even more at http://www.snuffywalden.com

K-man
Liberty High Graduate

Post by K-man » Dec 23rd 2002, 1:03 pm

Never made the connection myself. Probably just my lack of musical ability. I love the BratPack movies, (love them) but I was I think the only one in my circle of friends who didn't particularly like that movie. I will watch it though if it's on TV. Anything to remind me of the 80's and those blessed college years. 8)
Daddy sold the farm and they've killed my trees. K-man

christoff2003
Tino

another question about mscl music...

Post by christoff2003 » Mar 1st 2003, 5:26 pm

i was wondering if anyone knows about the music played in the background during the show, like the score or something??? It is similar to the opening theme, just wondering if there is a name to this??? And also the closing theme is very good! when the credits roll, any idea who makes these? my guess is W.G. Snuffy Walden has something to do with it???

thanks

and is the Ataris - My So Called Life song even played anywhere in the series??

Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Mar 1st 2003, 8:03 pm

The music for the score, opening theme, and closing credits were written by W.G. Snuffy Walden. The Ataris song was not played on the show because it was written after the show was taken off the air. I believe the story I read was that they wrote the song after watching one of the MSCL marathons on MTV.

Look, if this is weird for you, being tutored? I don't mind helping you a little longer.

christoff2003
Tino

Post by christoff2003 » Mar 2nd 2003, 4:00 pm

okay, so where can i obtain this music from??? The score and closing theme is what i really want, and they never show on kazaa...any suggestions??

Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Mar 2nd 2003, 8:33 pm

W.G. Snuffy Walden has a CD called "Music by W.G. Snuffy Walden" that is available through Amazon - it has music from My So-Called Life, Felicity, Once and Again, Thirtysomething, and West Wing. Amazon also carries the official MSCL soundtrack which includes the opening theme. You can usually find the official MSCL soundtrack pretty cheap at ebay.

I did a quick search at kazaa and found the opening theme - sometimes you have to try searching by title or artist, and most importantly be persistent!

christoff2003
Tino

Post by christoff2003 » Mar 2nd 2003, 9:28 pm

yeah i've had the opening theme, the score/closing theme is what i'm more interested in, but thanks!!! i'm guessing "angela smiled" pertains to mscl on the wg album

Sascha
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Sascha » Mar 3rd 2003, 6:34 am

For more details about the W.G. Snuffy CD see this thread.

Brilover81

MSCL theme song

Post by Brilover81 » May 16th 2004, 12:57 pm

Am I the only person who has noticed the similarity between W.G. Snuffy Walden's "My So-Called Life Theme" and "St. Elmo's Fire," by John Parr? If you listen closely, the tunes are very similar. I think it's rather odd, and I wonder if W.G. Snuffy Walden got his (?) inspiration for the theme song from "St. Elmo's Fire."

If anyone has any insight into this, please share!

Sascha
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Sascha » May 17th 2004, 5:38 am

No, sadly, you're not the first one :) JPP13 opened a topic for that reason back in 2002 here:
http://www.mscl.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1953
JPP13 wrote:Sorry if this has ever been mentioned before...but has anyone else noticed the similarity between the theme from My So-Called Life and the theme from St. Elmo's Fire? Yesterday, while watching Guns and Gossip (the ep which first hooked me), I was literally singing along the lyrics of St. Elmo's to the MSCL theme.

Has anyone else thought this, or am I just in need of medication? Try it yourself and see.

Closing this thread.