Newbies!

If you want to share some events in your life or thoughts about life in general with other MSCL fans or if you just want post a rant to let some steam off - this is the place.
Forum Newbies: Please introduce yourself here!
Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Newbies!

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Jan 22nd 2003, 3:15 pm

Welcome to the MSCL community! If you decide to de-cloak yourself and start posting, please take a moment to introduce yourself in this thread, which was created just for you - don't be shy :D

TomSpeed
Marshall Wannabe

Post by TomSpeed » Jan 22nd 2003, 10:27 pm

I think I posted fairly soon after I happened upon this site. I don't have many inhibitions about writing in forums. And, I'm not that shy in person either. This is a great site, too, IMHO.

I don't remember seeing MSCL on ABC. However, I watched quite a few episodes on MTV. The show speaks to me as few TV shows have been able to do. I'm one of those few people who have refused to look back on my high school years with rose tinted glasses. My high school years were bleak days interrupted by small slivers of dashed hopes and broken dreams. I would in no way wish to return to my teenage years. I liked my college years better, and my 30s so far have been way cooler. The show deals with many issues in an honest and nonromantic manner. And, even though MSCL deals with the unpleasant side of things, the happier things it deals with have from time to time made me remember that there may have been a time or two when I did something, said something, or touched someone in some way that made me or someone else happy. It also reminds me that it's OK, maybe even great sometimes, to just be me.

I dunno. There's more I could write in this post. However, if I told everything about me, then I'd have less to write later on.

Or, was I supposed to just say, "Hi!"

If that is the case, then: "Hi!"
TomSpeed

Patty: If Rayanne's not seeing you, and we're not seeing you, who is seeing you?
Graham: And how much of you?
Angela: Dad!
Graham: Oh, I'm sorry! I asked a question about your life, didn't I? Woah, what came over me?
http://www.last.fm/user/TomSpeed/

Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Jan 23rd 2003, 3:33 am

TomSpeed wrote:Or, was I supposed to just say, "Hi!"
Nope, you did a great job as the inaugural newbie!

The mods just thought it would be nice to have one place at the top of the forum for everyone to introduce themselves and say hi rather than having a bunch of "hi I'm new" threads that eventually slip down the page and out of sight.

For the rest of you new kids on the block (hee, sorry - please don't go girl!), feel free to introduce yourselves, tell us when you first saw MSCL, how it has impacted your lives, your goals and aspirations, your greatest accomplishment in life thus far, your shoe size, favorite fruit, most guilty pleasure, best childhood sugary Saturday morning cereal, favorite cartoon character, and what you consider to be the ultimate disco song. The bikini and talent segments will follow.

Really - you may tell us as much or as little as you like. As long as you entertain us :wink:
Natasha aka candygirl :: MSCL.com

Look, if this is weird for you, being tutored? I don't mind helping you a little longer.
You could have sex with me if you really want to help...I guess that's a "no"?

lance
Ed Zwick Wannabe

being new

Post by lance » Jan 24th 2003, 6:13 pm

Hello,

The nice thing about new, is that everyone is new once. I watched MSCL when it first aired back in 94. I was going to college for my undergrad degree and stumbled across this really cool show that showed High School the way I experienced, with warts and all. I remember getting ribbed by my brother and some of the guys who couldn't understand why I found the show so appealing.

In December of 2002 I stumbled across this site and signed the petition to bring MSCL to DVD. I have been part of many petition drives before, many unsucessful, but thought what the heck. In February I signed up my $20.00 deposit to get my set. I actually stumbled across this forum in June of 2002. For a month I just lurked watching the "Greats" (Candygirl, K-Man, Mephisto, Jason, Fnordboy, Mglenn, Sab and others) talking about how they loved this show.

I took the plunge in July and have been posting ever since. This is a great forum and a great community we have here. So welcome, make yourself at home and introduce yourself.

Best,

Lance Man

jaynedoh
Nicky Driscoll

hi, i'm new!

Post by jaynedoh » Jan 25th 2003, 2:14 am

hi everyone!
i loved the show the minute is first saw it. it was the first intelligent show about teens that i had seen. i was a lot older than most viewers, but i still related to it. (uh, yea, i'm a bit immature)
:D

the show made me feel less alone and dorky.
i don't know what else to say for now, i just wanted to stop by and say hi!

oh, and now for the interview portion of the pageant:
my greatest accomplishment in life so far:
i was the first person in my family to graduate from college.
my shoe size: 5 (what can i say, i'm "petite").
favorite fruit: mangos
most guilty pleasure: musicians
best sugary cereal: frosted flakes
favorite cartoon character (not including the simpsons): courage the cowardly dog
best disco song: jive talkin'- is that disco??

i'm ready for the bikini and talent portion!
:shock:

Megs
Lifehead

Post by Megs » Jan 25th 2003, 12:49 pm

Ok, I'm not really a newbie, but I would like to join in the "get to know you" thread.

I found the MSCL website a year or two ago with my younger sister. Last February I was lucky enough to visit again and see that the DVD was going to happen, and that AU was taking $20 deposits! After I convinced Mr. Megs that I couldn't live another day without buying this very expensive DVD boxset, I pre-ordered. Shortly after that I found the Forum, lurked a bit, posted here and there (intimidated by some of the regular posters), and then I got more comfortable, and here I am! You can't get rid of me now. Everytime Mr. Megs sees me on this website, he just mutters, "Addicted!". :wink:

So to follow jaynedoh's lead, here are my answers:

This is a tie between graduating college and marrying the man of my dreams. I am proud of the person I grew up to be.
my shoe size: 8
favorite fruit: oranges
most guilty pleasure: M&M's and the MSCL Forum
best sugary cereal: Count Chocula
favorite cartoon character (not including the simpsons): Pepe La Peu (sp?)
best disco song: I will Survive or anything by ABBA (is that Disco?)

I also love Madonna, as you can see by my avatar. I can be the biggest dork. I was painfully shy when I was younger, and as an adult I am still struggling with it. It helps that Mr. Megs is the complete opposite! An extrovert to my introvert. I have two younger sisters (my best friends) whom I miss terribly, since I live in Virginia (suburbs of DC) and they live where we grew up in PA. I also have an older brother. My husband and I grew up not 10 miles apart from each other, went to the same middle and high schools, but didn't officially meet until college. He was a year ahead of me in HS. He was cool, and I was not. :wink:

To quote one of my favorite movies, that's all I have to say about that.

"I have all these dreams where I know exactly what to say. And you tell me, you know, that you forgive me."

lance
Ed Zwick Wannabe

Re: hi, i'm new!

Post by lance » Jan 25th 2003, 8:56 pm

jaynedoh wrote:hi everyone!
i loved the show the minute is first saw it. it was the first intelligent show about teens that i had seen. i was a lot older than most viewers, but i still related to it. (uh, yea, i'm a bit immature)

the show made me feel less alone and dorky.
i don't know what else to say for now, i just wanted to stop by and say hi!

oh, and now for the interview portion of the pageant:
i was the first person in my family to graduate from college.
my shoe size: 5 (what can i say, i'm "petite").
favorite fruit: mangos
most guilty pleasure: musicians
best sugary cereal: frosted flakes
favorite cartoon character (not including the simpsons): courage the cowardly dog
best disco song: jive talkin'- is that disco??

i'm ready for the bikini and talent portion!
:shock:
Jaynedoh,

Great to hear from you again! I am glad you are still around. Congrats on the college thing, being the first at anything can be an experience. Currently I am attempting to become the first person in my family to become a librarian. I am also in a race with my mom who is finishing up her Master's Degree. I still think I can beat her. :D

Best.

Lance Man

SanDeE*
So-Called Addict

Post by SanDeE* » Jan 26th 2003, 3:31 am

Ooh! I want in on this one!

my greatest accomplishment in life so far: Getting my compositions performed live in concert.
my shoe size: 8.5
favorite fruit: Right now - Tangelos
most guilty pleasure: Listening to the music of a friend (that I'm secretly in love with) non-stop. I have his band's CD and a solo CD of his.
best sugary cereal: Scooby Doo. It's like Lucky charms, except the non-marshmallow pieces are covered in cinnamon and sugar.
favorite cartoon character (not including the simpsons):
best disco song: What's disco? J/K! Um, yeah that's still hard. I don't know. I don't listen to disco. So...I guess I pass on this one.

I know I'm not that new, but it's always great to get to know people better.
Um, in my room, one seam is a little off and I stare at it constantly. It's, like, destroying me.

~~Kristin~~

lance
Ed Zwick Wannabe

Post by lance » Jan 27th 2003, 10:32 am

Kristin wrote:Ooh! I want in on this one!

my greatest accomplishment in life so far: Getting my compositions performed live in concert.
my shoe size: 8.5
favorite fruit: Right now - Tangelos
most guilty pleasure: Listening to the music of a friend (that I'm secretly in love with) non-stop. I have his band's CD and a solo CD of his.
best sugary cereal: Scooby Doo. It's like Lucky charms, except the non-marshmallow pieces are covered in cinnamon and sugar.
favorite cartoon character (not including the simpsons):
best disco song: What's disco? J/K! Um, yeah that's still hard. I don't know. I don't listen to disco. So...I guess I pass on this one.

I know I'm not that new, but it's always great to get to know people better.
Ohh good one,

Best Accomplishment Getting married, takes guts, sense of humour and a lot of patience

Shoe Size 10 and 1/2"

Favorite Fruit Apple

Guilty Pleasure Drinking low fat Chocolate Milkshake and buying DVDs

Favorite Cartoon Character Tough one, I would say Bart Simpson

Best Disco Song Staying Alive, Bee Gees

Best,

Lance Man

jaynedoh
Nicky Driscoll

Post by jaynedoh » Jan 28th 2003, 3:53 am

thanks, lance man! :)

that's wonderful that you're on you're going to be a librarian.
i LOVE LOVE LOVE to read.
best of luck to you and your mom!
:)

[quote][/quote]
Jaynedoh,

Great to hear from you again! I am glad you are still around. Congrats on the college thing, being the first at anything can be an experience. Currently I am attempting to become the first person in my family to become a librarian. I am also in a race with my mom who is finishing up her Master's Degree. I still think I can beat her.

lance
Ed Zwick Wannabe

Post by lance » Jan 28th 2003, 1:41 pm

jaynedoh wrote:thanks, lance man! :)

that's wonderful that you're on you're going to be a librarian.
i LOVE LOVE LOVE to read.
best of luck to you and your mom!
:)
Jaynedoh,

Great to hear from you again! I am glad you are still around. Congrats on the college thing, being the first at anything can be an experience. Currently I am attempting to become the first person in my family to become a librarian. I am also in a race with my mom who is finishing up her Master's Degree. I still think I can beat her.
Thanks,

Lance Man

Nostradamus
Marshall Wannabe

Post by Nostradamus » Jan 30th 2003, 7:41 am

I found MSCL.com early last year and first started poking around in the forum Junish, so I guess it's about time I got around to this... :)

I first saw MSCL: Sometime during the MTV reruns of the late 90's.

How it impacted my life: Well, I suppose it's kept me (more or less) sane a bit longer.

My goals and aspirations: Living in a house with a really nice, custom-made bathroom. Yep, that's the life for me!

My greatest accomplishment in life so far: Occasionally making a pretty girl smile.

My shoe size: You'd like to know that, wouldn't you? But I'm not telling. :P

My favorite fruit: A cherry on top of almost anything will make my day, though I do miss a good kiwi...

My most guilty pleasure: Watching a brilliant sunset while standing atop a lonely, windswept crag as thunder rolls in the distance and the music swells, then stops. 8)

My best childhood sugary Saturday morning cereal: Frosted Flakes. Too bad Chocolate Frosted Crunchy Sugar Bombs weren't real.

My favorite cartoon character: Too many to choose from: Calvin & Hobbes; Daria, Jane, and Trent; and of course the whole Peanuts gang, especially Snoopy as the gallant WW1 Fighter Ace.

My ultimate disco song: Stayin' Alive, as seen in "Airplane" with all those longshoremen, pirates, and brawling Girl Scouts busting their moves on the dance floor. :shock:
I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure.
-- Clarence Darrow

I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it.
-- Mark Twain

lance
Ed Zwick Wannabe

Post by lance » Jan 30th 2003, 12:05 pm

Nostradamus wrote:My ultimate disco song: Stayin' Alive, as seen in "Airplane" with all those longshoremen, pirates, and brawling Girl Scouts busting their moves on the dance floor. :shock:
That was a great scene! LOL just thinking about it.

Best,

Lance Man

Nostradamus
Marshall Wannabe

Who will be 1000?

Post by Nostradamus » Feb 9th 2003, 5:28 pm

Just noticed that the forum has 997 registered members. I know it doesn't really make much difference, but does anybody have any thoughts on the MSCL.com community reaching quadruple digits?

I suppose we could have a celebration when the 1000'th member joins, but that might confuse the hell out of the poor newbie. :wink:
I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure.
-- Clarence Darrow

I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it.
-- Mark Twain

Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Feb 9th 2003, 10:42 pm

I have been keeping a close eye on the number of members since last month because we were creeping towards 1000 slowly but surely - not like last year when we had tons of new people registering every single day so that could rant and rave about AU. Ahhhhh, those days are gone...

I say we have a big party!
Natasha aka candygirl :: MSCL.com

Look, if this is weird for you, being tutored? I don't mind helping you a little longer.
You could have sex with me if you really want to help...I guess that's a "no"?