Discussion for Episode 8: Strangers in the House

General discussion about the nineteen episodes of "My So-Called Life". Note: Our episode guide can be found here.
Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Oct 29th 2003, 4:04 pm

Hunee wrote:I dont know how food is even related to the show but it is obvious that it is used at almost every critical or emotional time in the show.
There is some excellent analysis about food in Angela's World as well as discussion about it here.
Natasha aka candygirl :: MSCL.com

Look, if this is weird for you, being tutored? I don't mind helping you a little longer.
You could have sex with me if you really want to help...I guess that's a "no"?

danafan
Frozen Embryo

Post by danafan » Jul 2nd 2006, 8:34 am

I have just rewatched this episode and something is really bugging me so maybe someone can help.

Where does Sharon live, relative to Angela? I ask because it's implied that they live near each other if they were best friends growing up, and at the end of the episode, Angela is walking back to her house from Sharon's house when she finds Brian fixing his bike.

Yet earlier in the episode when Sharon tells Brian that she will see him on the bus, he is kinda surprised and says "You're taking my bus?" She explains that she's staying at Angela's - but if she lived near enough to Angela's house that you could safely walk there at night, wouldn't she already be on the same bus?

Even when Graham comes to the school to tell Sharon about her dad's heart attack, he tells her to go straight to Sharon's after school because her mom will be there and they keep a spare key under the planter.

Apologies if this topic has come up already - I skimmed this thread and didn't see mention of it.

grim4746
Krakow

Post by grim4746 » Jul 3rd 2006, 3:33 pm

I don't think the writers have necessarily contradicted themselves here. I'm guessing they live about 10-15 min. walking distance from each other. They were best friends growing up largely because of Patty and Camille's friendship. Lines for bus routes have to be drawn somewhere. It's reasonable that there would be two different buses with routes that come close at some point.

svenkid
Nicky Driscoll

Post by svenkid » Sep 13th 2006, 2:23 pm

great episode, that scene atthe end, just gets me every time! "Squeeze my hand as much as it hurts!"

something not mention re: the pizza

Pizza is typically food that is prepared by someone else and is delivered or eaten at a pizza place. here it is food, but not in the same text as when graham makes food for the children with his care etc.

the pizza in turn is used as just "food" and is therefore a stranger in the house too.
the episode so-called angels, does it to me every time!

MonnyUK2
Three Rivers Resident

Re: Discussion for Episode 8: Strangers in the House

Post by MonnyUK2 » Feb 12th 2008, 8:18 am

This is one of my favourite episodes. This is a pivotal episode in Graham's life, in Rayanne and Sharon's relationship and the fact the Angela and Sharon make up. In amongst all of this is Brian is trying to figure out if Sharon likes him or not. I love the fact when Ricky and Brian talk about being somneone's phase,lol! The encounters that Rayanne and Sharon have in the bathroom always strike me. Episode by episode their relationship grows through these encounters until Sharon acknowledges her as a friend in the last episode.

I also find Patty very annoying the way she always thinks less of Graham. In this episode the fact that she has decided he will not land the account and in further episodes the fact that isn't up to the standard of the rest in the cooking class and then her surprise that he is teaching the class and then her not supporting him going into business with Hallie. I don't know how he puts up with her?

One of my favourite scenes of the series is at the end with Brian and Angela. If you notice the editing here it is brilliant. You get to see the conversation from both points of view. I thibk Brian grows in Angela's eyes in this episode. Wwhen she says that Sharaon needed Brain, aand it would have only have worked with him makes Brian think. As intellectual as Brian is, he still can't comprehend the social aspect of his life and how to interact with girls.

Kbranagh
Overlooked Sibling

Re: Discussion for Episode 8: Strangers in the House

Post by Kbranagh » Jul 2nd 2020, 7:08 am

Why this show is so beautiful?
Never weak, never silly, never over the top like everything else! Every episode is a masterpiece, so pure and so genuine, always.
The most dramatic episode so far, i never expected. A crucual one for Sharon but.. Angela she's the one that grow and learn more at the end of this story! A dramatic event that allowed her to heal from all the emotional wounds still open from the pilot, she finally realized the mistakes made against her friends. Now the show is open for a new dynamics, fresh and exciting! I can't wait to see Angela and Sharon togheter like they used to be(or sort of) but mostly i' can't wait to see what happen now to Angela and Brian! She know now that he has feelings for her and that look of admiration that Angela gives to Brian maybe is more than that, maybe her fellings for him start to comes out! God, i hope so!! They are so good togheter, the final scene is so amazing, i can't wait for more but at the same time i don't know how the producers are gonna start that relathionship, Angela and Brian they never touched or never hugged! How can works? I hope there is time and space for everything. All the plot dedicated to Graham is also incredible! Now is out of work, the final twist when Patty fires him is shocking! Yet...a new and exciting dynamic also for him. All the episode feel like a turning point, like a restart or reborn! No wonder that the final 3 minutes recall most of the iconic shoots f the pilot!!
W.G Snuffy Walden= God

Grade: A-
"Or something'