22 Episodes Written

General discussion about the nineteen episodes of "My So-Called Life". Note: Our episode guide can be found here.
MSCLnostalgia
Frozen Embryo

22 Episodes Written

Post by MSCLnostalgia » Feb 17th 2024, 10:30 am

Hi everyone,

So I still watch MSCL about once a year and catch up on the board. I’ve just registered again as I’ve changed my email since 2003 when Another Universe made everyone come together, since then I’ve been content just reading rather than posting, but you’ve all meant a lot to me.

I’ve been reading and listening to “behind the scenes” interviews etc online and several people refer to there being 22 episodes written though only 19 were filmed.

I know “My So-called Life …Goes On” [the book) exists but I don’t think that has anything to do with any scripts that were written, it’s a little too long in terms of content and timeline for that. I’m also sure the extra episodes on the TV guide mentioned on this board were mistakes as previously discussed.

I wondered, like, wouldn’t it be nice to have those scripts? To read through to see where things were going? I know Winnie said that she had ideas for season 2 (and they appear to have changed over the years) but that doesn’t mean that there aren’t scripts she had written and possibly forgotten about for season 1. MSCL never had “cliff hanger” style endings to episodes so I can totally see how three scripts could exist that wouldn’t change the overall dynamic\arc of the characters.

Does anyone have any factual knowledge on this?

https://mysocalledlife.fandom.com/wiki/Episode_List

https://youtu.be/s2XxMcLjw1w?si=RMxJTmpY92YUE248

Sascha
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Re: 22 Episodes Written

Post by Sascha » Mar 10th 2024, 4:41 am

Hi and welcome to our forum!

This has come up a few times over the past years, but as far as I know there was no evidence for the existence of additional scripts. If I remember correctly, there was once a rumour about ABC asking the producers for a few more scripts back in 1994/1995 before the cancellation, just in case the show would be renewed. But those scripts were never written - there was never any "official" confirmation that there were more than 19 scripts.
Another source for this rumour may be the somewhat chaotic way how ABC ordered those 19 episodes in several "batches". There was some misinformation and confusion back then on the internet message boards about how and when many episodes were ordered. But in the end, ABC only ordered 19 episodes.