Wimbledon

As the forum title implies: This is the forum for "anything else" which doesn't fit into one of the other forums.
starbug
Lifehead

Post by starbug » Jul 3rd 2003, 9:35 am

Well, update from my trip to the hallowed Wimbledon ground yesterday...

It rained. And rained. And rained some more...

that said, I had a great time watching the 2 hours 20 mins tennis I actually saw on No. 1 court - Phillipoussis and Popp. Or as I liked to call them, Poo and Plopp. Toilet humour...

Was glad to see Phillipoussis pick up in the 3rd and 4th because for a while it looked like a really boring game...

We could hear the crowd from Centre Court (Tim's match) clearly and they were flashing up the scores regularly, so didn't feel totally out of touch. I wasn't about to waste time on the Hill instead of taking my seat in the number 1 court though, so I had to forgo full coverage. Luckily some guy next to us had an FM radio with headphones so he was keeping us up to date...

the courts are fantastic, and even with very little tennis it was a good day out. the Pims was a little on the pricey side but you know, it's got to be done. Came away happy with my baseball cap and sports water bottle too... :D

Both Mr. S and I were really disappointed not to see the Roddick match though... it's sort of hard to accept when you've paid over £50 to watch some rain come down. I see that for free most days of my life... :washing2:

Anyway, it was cool to be there and now I'm off work for a couple of days I can sit back and enjoy the BBC's commentary (Mr. S and I agreed that the commentary is sometimes what makes the match). I'm in the internet cafe round the corner now, wasting time as it's still raining...

Anyway, I'm thinking Tim might actually get a little further. He looked like he was warming up a bit yesterday against Grosjean. Of course, I'll be annoyed if he loses but it's gearing up to be a good final whatever way it goes.

And the women; today everyone here is on about the grudge match between Serena Williams and Justine Henin-Hardenne... I'm not sure how I feel about it; definitely in my mind Serena is the better player and they've been showing the SF of the French Open where the crowd were boo-ing Serena (!) after a ridiculous show of un-sportsmanship from Justine. I hope Serena can get past that and that she wins today.

---------------------------------------------
http://www.urban-hills.blogspot.com

starbug
Lifehead

Post by starbug » Jun 21st 2004, 11:42 am

Well folks, it's that time of year again! This time I don't have tickets (sob), but I'm just as keen to follow the flow. I may try to go down after work one day and just get a ground pass - you can still see top matches in the evening on the outer courts, or sit on the hill and watch the TV.

This year it really could be Tim's year (yeah, I know... groan) as he has been playing so well recently, reaching the Semis in the French. Plus he's getting on a bit so he's running out of time. That's got to inject some urgency into his game.

I'm pumped about Martina playing singles again; she's like a global tennis institution. She's just won her first round match... :onfire: I saw her being interviewed yesterday, and she is truly just doing it for fun and having a blast - I don't think she expects to make it to the second week but still, you've got to give the woman credit for spirit!

I'm disappointed Henin and Kim Klijsters (can't spell) aren't playing; it's hard to see who will beat the Williams clan this year. I hope someone pulls out some stops (Capriati maybe) and does something because it's getting boring. At least the sisters haven't been on form recently.

Hooray! Strawberries and fun. I'm working from 8.30am as of tomorrow, so I can leave early and get home for as much as poss. I've run out of holiday this year due to honeymoon and wedding so that's the best that can be done. I'm off out with friends tonight so I'm missing the first day but I'll see the highlights later.

Hope all you tennis-followers have got your Tim hats on :wink:

fnordboy
Ed Zwick Wannabe

Post by fnordboy » Jun 21st 2004, 12:48 pm

starbug wrote:Hope all you tennis-followers have got your Tim hats on :wink:
Definitely not :P

If he doesn't do it this year though he never will. He played good at the French, so it is possible, but I doubt it. I don't know who I am rooting for this year on the mens side. Isn't Goran playing this year? If so him. If not I don't know.

Williams sisters have been playing pretty bad lately (woohoo) so I don't know how they will do. Maybe one of the up and coming russians can take them out :).

I heard that Hingis did some commentating during Martina Nav. 's match. Wish I would have seen it. :( I was still sleeping at that point.

starbug
Lifehead

Post by starbug » Jun 22nd 2004, 4:24 am

fnordboy wrote: If he doesn't do it this year though he never will. He played good at the French, so it is possible, but I doubt it.
I agree with you... I've just got my fingers crossed for him.
fnordboy wrote: Isn't Goran playing this year? If so him. If not I don't know.
Yep. Won convincingly in the first round yesterday. I'd like to see him win; basically anything to put a stop to Hewitt would be OK - I have quite a thing for Andy Roddick too so perhaps him.
fnordboy wrote: I heard that Hingis did some commentating during Martina Nav. 's match. Wish I would have seen it. :( I was still sleeping at that point.
Really? I would have liked to see that too... I was at work. I watched the highlights and they spent like 30 seconds covering that match, and then just debated about how a veteran 47 year old can beat a contender at wimbledon and what does that say about the perilous state of women's tennis... McEnroe stuck up for Nav quite a bit I was pleased to see.

Boris and McEnroe are back on commentary for the BBC - which is great because they are quite a pair.

I have hit on another ingenious plan to watch wimbledon; go to the gym for a late lunchtime workout and watch it on the big screens there... kill 2 birds with one stone :idea:

starbug
Lifehead

Post by starbug » Jun 25th 2004, 4:44 am

Well, at leaset one of the Williams sisters has gone :D Hurrah! It was quite strange to just watch her crumble... It's a shame the other girl didn't win without a shadow of controversy, but the result stands, thankfully!

Nav out - that's a shame.

Today's big match (apart from the Henman one) is Ivanisevic and Hewitt. How I would love to see Goran smash his way through Hewitt and into the next round. The sensible part of me says it's unlikely, but the crowd will be behind Goran, no question, and that can make a difference. It could happen...

fnordboy
Ed Zwick Wannabe

Post by fnordboy » Jun 26th 2004, 10:53 pm

Goodbye Goran :( You have entertained us all, is a sad day to see you go. :puppydogeyes:

Venus. Buh-bye! :multi: :rofl: :multi:

starbug
Lifehead

Post by starbug » Jun 30th 2004, 8:55 am

I was really sad Goran got knocked out... and Hewitt got through. :evil:

Today's big result was S. Williams beating Capriati so conclusively: 6-1 6-1. good grief. I definitely hope she can be stopped. Maybe Mauresmo can do it.

And Henman's still in it - this could be his year :wink:

I'm still having Roddick as my alternate to root for... he's just so much better looking than Federer, and in my shallow world, that matters :oops:

Post by Guest » Jul 1st 2004, 12:04 am

Serna was awesome. Capriati just was`nt on top of her game. It was a good tough game.

fnordboy
Ed Zwick Wannabe

Post by fnordboy » Jul 1st 2004, 10:44 am

starbug wrote:I was really sad Goran got knocked out... and Hewitt got through. :evil:

Today's big result was S. Williams beating Capriati so conclusively: 6-1 6-1. good grief. I definitely hope she can be stopped. Maybe Mauresmo can do it.

And Henman's still in it - this could be his year :wink:

I'm still having Roddick as my alternate to root for... he's just so much better looking than Federer, and in my shallow world, that matters :oops:
Sadly, Goran is gone for good. He is retiring :(

Capriati played horribly, it didn't even seem like she was awake. I am hoping that someone can stop Serena. I am hoping that Sharapova can win the tournie, but I don't have too much faith in it. She is already at this moment down a set to Davenport, but fighting hard in the second.

On the men's side I really don't know who I want at this point. We need some better guys. I never really dug Roddick or Federer..

fnordboy
Ed Zwick Wannabe

Post by fnordboy » Jul 1st 2004, 11:24 am

Sharapova is kicking as sin the 3rd :D Looks like this one will be hers. Now if she can just do this in the final :D :D

starbug
Lifehead

Post by starbug » Jul 1st 2004, 12:03 pm

yeah, I knew Goran was retiring. It was a sad day...

Sharapova has won that match; I'd love to see her beat Serena. Actually, I'd love to see anyone beat Serena.

Hewitt's gone; what a relief. I'm taking Roddick to win... unfortunately Mr. S and I have a christening to go to on Sunday; I think what I will have to do is set the VCR and block my ears of all access to the results, so we can watch it when we get back. I ALWAYS find I have something else to do on finals day, and it's such a bummer. Next year, I swear, I'm clearing the diary. :roll:

Post by Guest » Jul 3rd 2004, 11:09 pm

starbug wrote:Sharapova has won that match; I'd love to see her beat Serena. Actually, I'd love to see anyone beat Serena.
Maria Sharapova won! It was so awesome. The look of defeat was read very clear on Serena Williams face. It was sweet when she ran into the crowd to get to her Father. I was soooo happy she won. The riegn of Serena is over.

K-man
Liberty High Graduate

Post by K-man » Jul 4th 2004, 10:52 pm

Sharapova won! :D :D :D :D That was beautiful to watch!
Daddy sold the farm and they've killed my trees. K-man

fnordboy
Ed Zwick Wannabe

Post by fnordboy » Jul 5th 2004, 10:11 am

K-man wrote:Sharapova won! :D :D :D :D That was beautiful to watch!
In more ways than one :twisted: :twisted: :oops:

starbug
Lifehead

WIMBLEDON 2005!

Post by starbug » Jun 22nd 2005, 5:12 am

And, here we are again :D This year in preparation I read McEnroe's autobiography. Interesting.

I'm a little late this year... day 3 and I'm only just posting my excitement

:multi: :multi: :multi:

So far, I'm sending evil vibes in Hewitt's direction, as per tradition every year. I hope the little monkeyfart gets soundly beaten sometime very soon.

Annual Tim Report: Good Grief Charlie Brown... what was that?!?!?! 5 sets against Neimenen yesterday, and for the first two, it looked like he was asleep. :shock: :shock: Of course I'm glad he pulled it out in the end, but there's going to have to be some serious talking going on.

New Hope: Andy Murray. The brave little Scot could be the next next big thing.

Next Big Thing: Nadal? Good muscles, but it doesn't stop him looking like a chipmunk. Everyone is talking about how he could be the new Borg, but I don't think so... yes, he can hit the ball hard, doesn't look like the back end of a bus... but I reserve judgment.

Roddick. swoon thud Wake me up if he passes by with his phone number in hand :wink: . I would really like to see him win this year. Apart from the eye candy factor, I enjoyed the banter at Queens between him and Sue Barker, which showed he is a good sport. The commentary team had been teasing Sue about her crush on Andy, and when she had to interview him on court after he won the tournament, he came right out with 'you know, I always like to win, especially because I get to talk to you. I do have a bit of a crush...' 8) :D 8) . Sue turned eight shades of puce... it was hilarious. :D

On the BBC commentary team this year are CONNORS and McEnroe. Hehe. Briefly yesterday they were in the same match, and McEnroe let Connors take the mike, but was completely silent himself, I don't know whether it was out of contempt or gentlemanliness (!) but while everyone else was 'welcome Jimmy, it's good to have you here', McEnroe was silent as a mouse. Could be interesting! Plus Boris is practically a national institution now so of course he's back contributing in his off-the-wall way.

Sharapova is looking sharp - sharper than last year, I think. I was sorry to see Henin-Hardenne go out though, as I think it makes the draw a more boring place. As far as who will win? I don't know at all. Sharapova looks good but Davenport also could do it.

Well, that's enough for now. Except to implore you all to spend 5 mins wishing Hewitt gets knocked out. I really do not like that guy.