AU petition. Bad News.

This forum has been closed and archived. No further postings allowed. Read-only access. For more informations read this announcement.
zero
Liberty High Student

AU petition. Bad News.

Post by zero » Nov 27th 2002, 7:09 pm

I am sorry to report that I have had no luck with persuading petition online to remove the bogus signatures from the AU / MSCL petition.

Its almost certainly the work of one man his relationship to AU is uncertain and frankly I find I dont care. Hes adding to the amount of signatures collected, but his comments are offensive and if they cant be removed I suggest we dont use the petition. His sub literate rambling might not convince anyone that AU is a good bet, but it does distract from the tone of the piece and I think thats bad enough.

What I will do is to try to duplicate the style of petition signature submission form that Pt online have and set it up on my own website. We can start again from scratch or I can cut and paste from the existing Pt (tho Im unsure about the ethics of that.).

That way I can moderate the petition and remove any bogus sigs. Its not Ideal & its a pain in the ass - and not being the smartest cook when it comes to HTML and scripts it might take me a while, but Im not going to let this go.

It does mean that we can adjust the petition letter to cover anything people think was missed in the original - so ideas, rewrites and offers of html scripting help are all welcome.

If you think I'm wrong about starting again just say so; we are adults here and can discuss things in a mature way. Makes us almost unique in message board history from what I can see.

Jason R
"Mr. DVD"

Re: AU petition. Bad News.

Post by Jason R » Nov 27th 2002, 7:12 pm

I will see if there is any good petition software out there. if you host it yourself you can remove fake signatures.

AU and its investors are a sorry bunch of asshats.
zero wrote:I am sorry to report that I have had no luck with persuading petition online to remove the bogus signatures from the AU / MSCL petition.

Its almost certainly the work of one man his relationship to AU is uncertain and frankly I find I dont care. Hes adding to the amount of signatures collected, but his comments are offensive and if they cant be removed I suggest we dont use the petition. His sub literate rambling might not convince anyone that AU is a good bet, but it does distract from the tone of the piece and I think thats bad enough.

What I will do is to try to duplicate the style of petition signature submission form that Pt online have and set it up on my own website. We can start again from scratch or I can cut and paste from the existing Pt (tho Im unsure about the ethics of that.).

That way I can moderate the petition and remove any bogus sigs. Its not Ideal & its a pain in the ass - and not being the smartest cook when it comes to HTML and scripts it might take me a while, but Im not going to let this go.

It does mean that we can adjust the petition letter to cover anything people think was missed in the original - so ideas, rewrites and offers of html scripting help are all welcome.

If you think I'm wrong about starting again just say so; we are adults here and can discuss things in a mature way. Makes us almost unique in message board history from what I can see.

zero
Liberty High Student

Post by zero » Nov 27th 2002, 7:14 pm

asshats.

you americans are a funny race.

wend74
Overlooked Sibling

Post by wend74 » Nov 27th 2002, 7:28 pm

hi just checked out the "fakes" what kind of losers are these people? its obvious to all that there can be absolutely no-one who is happy with this situation (even with no double billing) a product that takes almost a year to ship with no kind of customer service is just not on! they have obviously got nothing better to do with their pathetic so-called lives!

zero
Liberty High Student

Post by zero » Nov 27th 2002, 7:34 pm

wend74 wrote:hi just checked out the "fakes" what kind of losers are these people?
All the work of one man - a shareholder in AU who is worried that our vocal response to AU being, frankly s**t , will drive the share price down even lower.

Or so we think.

zero
Liberty High Student

Post by zero » Nov 27th 2002, 7:40 pm

http://www.ipetitions.com/

Anyone care to take a look at this site and let me know what they think?

It offers a method of disabling repeat sigs sent from the same IP addy - and you can download the completed sigs to a local address.

I'd be happy to stump up the $ to join the premium service the site offers - I'd consider it an investment in the "send RR to jail" fund.

GaryEA
So-Called Addict

Post by GaryEA » Nov 28th 2002, 1:40 am

Zero,

It looks like the solution you're looking for. The ability to manage the signatures is what's key and it seems to be there.

They're offering a three week trial on the "Custom Petitions" (I read it in the section titled "How to Create A Petition?"), which I believe are the paying version. Maybe you can try a test petition before committing any money?

Gary

andrewgd
Liberty High Graduate

Post by andrewgd » Nov 28th 2002, 2:17 am

Maybe before doing anything you have to pay for, you should wait and see if Jason can dig up any software. I think the control is good, but if you can get something for free...its definitely the way to go.
"Your imagination, like a child, will explode with unrestrained possibilities for adventure."

starbug
Lifehead

Post by starbug » Nov 28th 2002, 6:46 am

It really gets to me that one MFer can do something so easy to scupper a good and effective idea :( I wouldn't want to give in to him but I do agree that moving the petition somewhere else is a good thing.

This software looks like it exactly fits the purpose, but let's give Jason a few days to come up with something before you sign up, Zero...

And it is a handy opportunity to edit the petition to take account of the points raised on the other thread (and by doing so it will make AU look even worse - at least that's something good that came out of this twerp's insane rants) :)

---------------------------------------------
http://www.urban-hills.blogspot.com
---------------------------------------------

rhdunn
Tino

Post by rhdunn » Nov 28th 2002, 6:52 am

If you want help with HTML and scripts I have a lot of expreience in that area. It should be possible to do this with the signatures in an XML file that you can then transform it to HTML to be displayed as normal. I do this sort of stuff all the time on my home machine to manage calanders, documents, etc. :)
-rhd-

Naomi
Jody Barsh

Post by Naomi » Nov 28th 2002, 9:02 am

Some of the signatures are unbelievable. Idiots saying they weren't doublecharged so obviously all the people saying that they were are lying. And calling people "gay" as an insult wow I thought only 10 year old boys in the playground do that. Guess you learn something new every day.
It's obviously someone from AU as they are actually sad enough to use the petition to advertise their new DVDs. Who do they think they are appealing to on a petition complaining about their customer service? They are even slagging off amazon.com saying that they had to pay £12 something to receive their purchase. In my comments I pointed out that I had to pay nearly £30 so I think we know who got the good deal.

Jason R
"Mr. DVD"

Post by Jason R » Nov 28th 2002, 10:58 am

I will gladly pay for the ipetitions donation.

fnordboy
Ed Zwick Wannabe

Post by fnordboy » Nov 28th 2002, 2:53 pm

You can even do a simple ASP script dumping them into an Excel file and then displaying it on another page.

You would have full control over it then.

On another note. I think you might want to not modify the petition wording once sigs start going on it. If you change the wording to something someone (or someones) don't like or agree with it could cause a problem.

I would say before you start taking sigs on it just have everyone from here agree on the wording.

zero
Liberty High Student

Post by zero » Nov 28th 2002, 4:36 pm

Jason Rosenfeld wrote:I will gladly pay for the ipetitions donation.
Jason that's very decent of you - but for your own sake it might be best if AU (and it's rabid stock holders) can't level the charge that the petition is "your doing" because as we all here at mscl.com know you are a mad shut-in with a personal grudge against Ross.

I'm going to rework the petition tonight and post it here for correction - then i'll get it up on iP.

Jason R
"Mr. DVD"

Post by Jason R » Nov 28th 2002, 5:07 pm

I just figured that since they are attacking me anyway, it would spare someone else from being targeted. The offer stands, although I am sure that AU pissed off enough people to motivate some folks to donate something for the petition.

Oh well, I have to go back to being an insane shut-in. :P
zero wrote:
Jason Rosenfeld wrote:I will gladly pay for the ipetitions donation.
Jason that's very decent of you - but for your own sake it might be best if AU (and it's rabid stock holders) can't level the charge that the petition is "your doing" because as we all here at mscl.com know you are a mad shut-in with a personal grudge against Ross.

I'm going to rework the petition tonight and post it here for correction - then i'll get it up on iP.