Bittersweet Symphony

This forum has been closed and archived. No further postings allowed. Read-only access. For more informations read this announcement.
JPP13
Angela's best friend

Bittersweet Symphony

Post by JPP13 » Nov 20th 2002, 6:18 pm

(pretty good song)

Anyway, like many I received my MSCL set from Amazon today. However....

I feel some guilt. Why? Because I know that many of YOU who put in the hardest work for this set, and who were LOYAL to the company that promised to make a 2 year dream come true, have not received your sets yet. And that just sucks. And I know that many of you who made this a reality for me have double payed, and STILL don't have the DVDs. And that sucks even more.

So, instead of the happiness, I feel bittersweet because there are people who deserve this set far more than I do, who had hard work and vision. And all I did was slide in and take advantage of that. But I guess all I can do is post my thanks and appreciation. I really mean it. And offer moral support who are still fighting for what others have received.

Jessica Popsicles
Let's Bolt Regular

Post by Jessica Popsicles » Nov 20th 2002, 6:27 pm

Yeah, I felt "cool" when I went to Best Buy yesterday and saw all the sets on the shelf. I told my dad something like "my 99.98 that I haven't seen in 8 months went to make these sets real, you know!".

He doesn't know anything that happened really, but then he was like "why are you getting 2 sets?". I told him I had to get one since they are out and it was killing me to wait & I don't know when I will get the one I paid for back on February 11th.

It really does suck that the people who paid to get them made(myself included) haven't even received those sets from AU yet. Still hoping they'll ship my set by the end of the week, but what can I really expect.

Anyway, only 8 more episodes left to watch. I feel the same way I did 7(?) years ago when I watched the show.
+it can't be all that hard if you can sum it up in a postcard.

K-man
Liberty High Graduate

Post by K-man » Nov 20th 2002, 6:47 pm

(Great Song) :!:

I can't speak for all the other Lifers here but personally (as a person who signed the petition, and did everything I could since MTV stopped re-running the show in '98 ) I am happy for you! What a great thing that people are now able to enjoy Life thanks to everything we all accomplished. Maybe I am taking credit where credit is not due but if signing petitions, paying deposits, paying balances, getting doublecharged, going to the mat with AU, getting doublecharge removed, writing letters and everything I/we have done over the past several months/years allows Jane Q. Citizen to enjoy MSCL, then more power to you. :D Watch your discs and don't feel guilty. This is what we all have worked for!
Daddy sold the farm and they've killed my trees. K-man

JPP13
Angela's best friend

Post by JPP13 » Nov 20th 2002, 7:16 pm

Thanks K man. I did pop the first disc in to get a taste (I'll settle in for the whole marathon some other day) and it was amazing to see. I didn't really notice any technical flaws or such, nor do I really care. Its so great to own these. That brilliant writing won't be obscured by an occasional squiggly line. I've loved the show since it premiered on ABC, and never dreamed I'd own the discs (or that they would ever existed).

Still pangs of guilt........

Calhoun07
Overlooked Sibling

Post by Calhoun07 » Nov 20th 2002, 7:31 pm

Jessica Popsicles wrote:Yeah, I felt "cool" when I went to Best Buy yesterday and saw all the sets on the shelf. I told my dad something like "my 99.98 that I haven't seen in 8 months went to make these sets real, you know!".

He doesn't know anything that happened really, but then he was like "why are you getting 2 sets?". I told him I had to get one since they are out and it was killing me to wait & I don't know when I will get the one I paid for back on February 11th.

It really does suck that the people who paid to get them made(myself included) haven't even received those sets from AU yet. Still hoping they'll ship my set by the end of the week, but what can I really expect.

Anyway, only 8 more episodes left to watch. I feel the same way I did 7(?) years ago when I watched the show.
And when you get your sealed set from AU, you can return it as new to Best Buy with your receipt!

Myself, I resist the urge to tell people how I helped to bring the sets to reality by supporting it from early on and pre paying it and all, as I know that they really don't care. Sad, but true. All I can say is that while others may still take DVDs for granted, this makes me appreciate every TV show I have on DVD.

Jessica Popsicles
Let's Bolt Regular

Post by Jessica Popsicles » Nov 20th 2002, 8:02 pm

Yeah, I doubt my father cared about it because he didn't say anything. I don't have anyone else to tell either, but if I did, they probably wouldn't care.

Not like it matters or anything. But good idea about returning the set to Best Buy, not sure if I will or not though.
+it can't be all that hard if you can sum it up in a postcard.

mog
Liberty High Student

Post by mog » Nov 22nd 2002, 4:22 pm

the whole Urban Hymns album is amazing

i order you to buy it right now! :) also, check out Doves, they're good

Paint it black
Nicky Driscoll

Post by Paint it black » Nov 22nd 2002, 10:08 pm

Best track has to be weeping willow. Also i would also like to post my thanks to all those people out there who have struggled through to the end allowing people like me to receive a relatively hastle free copy of the box set. I will always be in your debt, and if theres anything i can ever do to make it up just ask (sexual favours aside, unless your a damned fine bird). But seriously this is a heart felt thankyou.

lance
Ed Zwick Wannabe

Re: Bittersweet Symphony

Post by lance » Nov 23rd 2002, 2:58 pm

JPP13 wrote:(pretty good song)

Anyway, like many I received my MSCL set from Amazon today. However....

I feel some guilt. Why? Because I know that many of YOU who put in the hardest work for this set, and who were LOYAL to the company that promised to make a 2 year dream come true, have not received your sets yet. And that just sucks. And I know that many of you who made this a reality for me have double payed, and STILL don't have the DVDs. And that sucks even more.

So, instead of the happiness, I feel bittersweet because there are people who deserve this set far more than I do, who had hard work and vision. And all I did was slide in and take advantage of that. But I guess all I can do is post my thanks and appreciation. I really mean it. And offer moral support who are still fighting for what others have received.
JPP13,

I would just like to second what K-man has said. No, guilt needed here.

I like K-man wrote to those knuckleheads at ABC back in '94-95 asking them not to cancel MSCL. I stumbled on this site in December of 2001 and signed the petition. I gave my $20.00 to AU in February no questioned asked and I have been posting here at the forum since July.

Some of the people here at the forum stuck with AU. I and others, fearing we would never see our sets, cancelled with AU and went with Amazon, Best Buy, DDD, etc. You paid your money, you deserve to get a set simple as that.

Enjoy your set, I am still waiting on mine.

All the best,

Lance Man :D

JPP13
Angela's best friend

Post by JPP13 » Nov 23rd 2002, 6:04 pm

Thanks Lance.

I remember how furious I was when the series was cancelled. Didn't really know what to do about it.

A few months ago, while shopping on ebay (read-goofing around at the office) I did a search for MSCL, hoping for perhaps a Tshirt or something. The inspiration was me stumbling across my old soundtrack for the show.

Anyway, I saw someone selling one of the pre-orders for the DVD set. I was stunned that it was going to be made. I did a google search and found the set at AU. Then I found my way here and this forum.

I have additional compassion because I know that if I had heard about this site a year ago, I would have pre-paid AU too. As it was I cancelled my order immediately, disputed the charges successfully and ordered from Amazon. So not only am I thankful to those who laid the ground work here, but also I was able to learn of how many of you got screwed and get out early.

K-man
Liberty High Graduate

Post by K-man » Nov 25th 2002, 6:30 pm

Sir Lance: thanks for the support and finger crossed that you get your set and soon! :wink:
Daddy sold the farm and they've killed my trees. K-man

lance
Ed Zwick Wannabe

Post by lance » Nov 26th 2002, 10:48 pm

K-man wrote:Sir Lance: thanks for the support and finger crossed that you get your set and soon! :wink:
K-Man,

Thanks dude. The eagle landed for me last Friday and I got to watch the pilot for the first time in years last Saturday night. This brought back a ton of memories. I am in heaven :D

Take it easy,

Lance Man