For those who won't be getting the bonus disk....

This forum has been closed and archived. No further postings allowed. Read-only access. For more informations read this announcement.
pinkchimney
Overlooked Sibling

For those who won't be getting the bonus disk....

Post by pinkchimney » Nov 8th 2002, 3:23 pm

For those of you who ordered through another website(other than AU) and won't be getting the bonus disk, I think it would suck for you all not to get the bonus disk. I don't have a DVD burner but I do have ripping software and know how to make VCD's that would work in DVD players. I would be willing to make VCD's of the bonus disk for those people who couldn't take AU's crap anymore.

1. I know this will piss some people off who stuck it out with AU and they probably think they deserve this disk more than others because they stuck it out.

2. I was one of those who stuck it out and i am close to being ashamed for doing it so I am trying to justify sticking with them.

3. Keep in mind there is no guarantee that we will even get the Bonus disk, which would make my offer on top impossible.

Keep my e-mail addy. E-mail me with your email address and I will hold onto it until I receive my bonus disk and I will email you with the specifics.

jworldboy@yahoo.com

so-called customer
Between Names

Post by so-called customer » Nov 8th 2002, 3:31 pm

As much as I dislike AU's business practices, this is blatent piracy, which I can't support. This is just substituting one scummy business practice for another.

pinkchimney
Overlooked Sibling

Post by pinkchimney » Nov 8th 2002, 3:41 pm

-dude, it's free. No one is making money silly boy.

heater_05
Three Rivers Resident

Post by heater_05 » Nov 8th 2002, 3:54 pm

Actually this is perfectly legal. No one is making any money. Actually any of you who sold copies on ebay of the shows you made off of VHS tapes from when it originally are actually breaking the law. But this, is perfectly legal. And I think it is a great idea.

andrewgd
Liberty High Graduate

Post by andrewgd » Nov 8th 2002, 4:05 pm

Actually, I'm not sure you can just give away copies and call it legal. I'm almost positive its not. If you read the fine print at the beginning of any DVD or VHS at it states (this is from the 2000 release of ep1-3):

"Any copying or public performance of such motion picture is strictly prohibited and may subject the offender to civil liability and severe criminal penalties."

So, its not legal.
"Your imagination, like a child, will explode with unrestrained possibilities for adventure."

pgh kenny
Angelica

Post by pgh kenny » Nov 8th 2002, 4:07 pm

so-called customer wrote:As much as I dislike AU's business practices, this is blatent piracy, which I can't support. This is just substituting one scummy business practice for another.
I would like to point out that au.com broke the terms under which the bonus footage was filmed. There were never supposed to be able to use the filmed bonus footage as an excuse to charge a $55 premium. I don't agree it would be piracy. So I think this is a great idea. Of course, the person volunteering to do this should be compensated for postage and materials.

fnordboy
Ed Zwick Wannabe

Post by fnordboy » Nov 8th 2002, 4:12 pm

Well its not illegal at all sine you're only making a BACK UP of your Bonus Disc for ARCHIVAL purposes, and LENDING it to a friend, since you dont want to ruin your disc since it is a limited edition collectors piece, you have to keep it in a safe place.

<wink wink nudge nudge>

Megs
Lifehead

Re: For those who won't be getting the bonus disk....

Post by Megs » Nov 8th 2002, 4:14 pm

pinkchimney wrote:1. I know this will piss some people off who stuck it out with AU and they probably think they deserve this disk more than others because they stuck it out.
Count me in as one of those people. I know I shouldn't be pissed, but hey, I'm irrational. I stuck it out with AU. I paid the extra $50 to get that bonus disk. Yeah, I could've canceled, but I didn't. I really want the bonus disk and lunchbox. Call me naive for thinking I'll ever get them, but that's a different thing.
"I have all these dreams where I know exactly what to say. And you tell me, you know, that you forgive me."

andrewgd
Liberty High Graduate

Post by andrewgd » Nov 8th 2002, 4:14 pm

pgh_kenny wrote:I would like to point out that au.com broke the terms under which the bonus footage was filmed.
And wouldn't this mean that there will be no bonus footage or bonus dvd if the companies who produced it stick to their guns and make AU honor the agreement?
"Your imagination, like a child, will explode with unrestrained possibilities for adventure."

Jason R
"Mr. DVD"

Post by Jason R » Nov 8th 2002, 4:16 pm

Neither is double billing customers and not giving refunds, but it seems to happen.
andrewgd wrote:Actually, I'm not sure you can just give away copies and call it legal. I'm almost positive its not. If you read the fine print at the beginning of any DVD or VHS at it states (this is from the 2000 release of ep1-3):

"Any copying or public performance of such motion picture is strictly prohibited and may subject the offender to civil liability and severe criminal penalties."

So, its not legal.

andrewgd
Liberty High Graduate

Post by andrewgd » Nov 8th 2002, 4:21 pm

I guess I should have added "So no, its not legal, but sign me up for a copy if anyone ever happens to get one in the mail. :) "

I'd consider that the "I'm sorry for double billing you" gift that was "promised".
Last edited by andrewgd on Nov 8th 2002, 4:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

fnordboy
Ed Zwick Wannabe

Post by fnordboy » Nov 8th 2002, 4:21 pm

Listen, regardless of how many laws AU may or may not have broke it would still be illegal. You cant try to rationalize it.

If AU broke Contract A (fraudulent use of your CC) with you that doesnt make Contract B (watching past the FBI Warnign screen on the DVD) null and void.

And too sound like everyones' grandmother, two wrongs don't make a right.

NOw that said. I dont care if people do it or not, I will probably be doing it too. But i just like for people to accept and be responsible for their own actions and know that they are doing what they are doing and not living in a fantasy.

MartinPierre
Yearbook Team

Post by MartinPierre » Nov 8th 2002, 5:01 pm

fnordboy wrote:Well its not illegal at all sine you're only making a BACK UP of your Bonus Disc for ARCHIVAL purposes, and LENDING it to a friend, since you dont want to ruin your disc since it is a limited edition collectors piece, you have to keep it in a safe place.

<wink wink nudge nudge>
It is illegal to lend a backup to a friend, just as it is illegal to use your backup while you lent your original.

Just because it is free doesn't mean it is not illegal !!!

It is an urban legend that just because you don't charge means it is not illegal.

It comes from the fact that the FBI is not actively attacking people who copy for free on a small scale.

As for the backup, in Canada it is clear you can do one legally, but it is not as clear in the United States ( I'll have to recheck ).

From what I heard a backup is legal in the US only because your original might be destroyed : you bought the right to the content and not the content holder.

However, a back-up is a static usage : YOU CANNOT USE THE BACKUP UNLESS THE ORIGINAL IS DESTROYED OR UNUSABLE.

And BTW, I am a software developper, and I am responsable for copy protection in the company I work for.

fnordboy
Ed Zwick Wannabe

Post by fnordboy » Nov 8th 2002, 5:15 pm

MartinPierre wrote:
fnordboy wrote:Well its not illegal at all sine you're only making a BACK UP of your Bonus Disc for ARCHIVAL purposes, and LENDING it to a friend, since you dont want to ruin your disc since it is a limited edition collectors piece, you have to keep it in a safe place.

<wink wink nudge nudge>
It is illegal to lend a backup to a friend, just as it is illegal to use your backup while you lent your original.

Just because it is free doesn't mean it is not illegal !!!
I know that, i was joking when i wrote that. Thats why i wrote the next post after that.

Killjoy :wink:

pinkchimney
Overlooked Sibling

Post by pinkchimney » Nov 8th 2002, 6:18 pm

Listen guys and gals,
This isn't a thing against AU, customers who stuck with AU (I AM one of them, regretfully), or anyone else. I paid the extra $55 bucks too and am doing what I feel is right. I know it might be technically illegal, but that is only one to how many AU has done. I think what i am doing is selfless and if some wants to keep MSCL fans from having a bonus disk just because they wanted their money back from a very dishonest company, then shame on you.

Did you ever download a song from Napster, Winmx, Kazaa, Morpheus and /or Audiogalaxy? That is just as technically illegal as making a "back-up" copy and lending it to your friend. In fact the illegality of it is way higher because of the centrailized computer system that it runs through. it's not a peer-to-peer charing system, which whether or not you believe it, charing the bonus disk is.

I am not profitting from this. It's as simple as you sending me a blank disk and an enclosed stamped envelope for return.