I think I know what is going on now.

This forum has been closed and archived. No further postings allowed. Read-only access. For more informations read this announcement.
Jason R
"Mr. DVD"

I think I know what is going on now.

Post by Jason R » Oct 15th 2002, 2:49 pm

I don't know if this is sound strategy or not.

I think I found out how AU intends to fund your DVDs.

I just pulled this off Lexis Nexis while researching AU. This is due to appear in Associated Press this week (right now, it is only on Nexis as a paid article).

"My So-Called Life"

Like David Lynch's "Twin Peaks," a short-lived television series that just won't go away. The show that launched the careers of Claire Danes and Jared Leto lasted just 19 episodes in the mid-1990s, but it still has a cult of die-hard fans who revel in the romantic angst and sometimes thorny home life of teenager Angela Chase. The show's eerily sentimental Christmas episode, guest starring singer Juliana Hatfield as a gloomy angel, makes the set a worthwhile buy on its own. The six-disc set contains the entire series, though it would have been nice to have audio commentary on some of the episodes. The package does have an interview with the series creators. Initially, the set will be available only online at http://www.anotheruniverse.com/mscldvd. DVD set, $115. (Another Universe)

I don't know what to make of this. It could even be a good development, but the article appears to misstate the facts.
Last edited by Jason R on Oct 15th 2002, 2:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.

tuatara
Nicky Driscoll

Post by tuatara » Oct 15th 2002, 2:56 pm

um. My apologies if I'm missing the obvious, but...what is this supposed to be telling me that's somehow revelatory? I'm very confused.

Jason R
"Mr. DVD"

Post by Jason R » Oct 15th 2002, 2:57 pm

This article will run and be seen by millions of people. To clarify, it is part of a longer article by DAVID GERMAIN, AP Movie Writer
Last edited by Jason R on Oct 15th 2002, 3:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tuatara
Nicky Driscoll

Post by tuatara » Oct 15th 2002, 2:59 pm

yes, yes, I suppose that would mean I was thoroughly missing the obvious. gosh, it would be nice to actually feel clever now and again.

socalledfan
Angela's best friend

Post by socalledfan » Oct 15th 2002, 3:00 pm

Jason... but the article is immediately wrong, because it would have people think that AU is still the exclusive vendor.

Are you suggesting AU press-released this?

SCF
"You're sooo beautiful, it HURTS to look at you."

Jason R
"Mr. DVD"

Post by Jason R » Oct 15th 2002, 3:01 pm

I am saying they press released this.

Megs
Lifehead

Post by Megs » Oct 15th 2002, 3:04 pm

It did say that initially AU would be the exclusive retailer. Which is true, it a tad streched. It just failed to elaborate on that.
"I have all these dreams where I know exactly what to say. And you tell me, you know, that you forgive me."

socalledfan
Angela's best friend

Post by socalledfan » Oct 15th 2002, 3:05 pm

:x

Well, if this is for real...that's the LAST thing AU needs. Thousands of new customers who will be lied to from the get-go. Have they no shame?
"You're sooo beautiful, it HURTS to look at you."

EmmBee
Liberty High Student

Post by EmmBee » Oct 15th 2002, 3:06 pm

In other words AU will be robbing Peter (taking the money generated by new sales of the set) to pay Paul (those of us who are owed DVDs they apparently can't pay for at this time.)

pgh kenny
Angelica

Re: I think I know what is going on now.

Post by pgh kenny » Oct 15th 2002, 3:06 pm

Jason Rosenfeld wrote:I don't know if this is sound strategy or not.

I think I found out how AU intends to fund your DVDs.
I'm confused, weren't they already funded? That article still doesn't explain where all our money went for 8 months. It's not like I am the "Bank of Kenny No Interest Loans". Unless you are talking about them trying to come up with the money for the extra units above 3,800?

Full Disclosure: I cancelled & shared the love!

Jason R
"Mr. DVD"

Post by Jason R » Oct 15th 2002, 3:14 pm

In theory, if they sell another 2,000 units as a result of that article, they would have enough cash to pay for all of the discs on those sales alone.

That is all I am saying. Kinda weird that they are acting like they have no money right now though.

Denie
Between Names

Post by Denie » Oct 15th 2002, 3:25 pm

Jason Rosenfeld wrote: Like David Lynch's "Twin Peaks," a short-lived television series that just won't go away. The show that launched the careers of Claire Danes and Jared Leto lasted just 19 episodes in the mid-1990s, but it still has a cult of die-hard fans who revel in the romantic angst and sometimes thorny home life of teenager Angela Chase. The show's eerily sentimental Christmas episode, guest starring singer Juliana Hatfield as a gloomy angel, makes the set a worthwhile buy on its own. The six-disc set contains the entire series, though it would have been nice to have audio commentary on some of the episodes. The package does have an interview with the series creators. Initially, the set will be available only online at http://www.anotheruniverse.com/mscldvd. DVD set, $115. (Another Universe)
It was very cleverly written. "Initially, the set will be available only online at http://www.anotheruniverse.com/mscldvd. DVD set, $115." Notice the word initially. One little word...so easy to miss while skimming the paragraph...yet so very important. A casual reader could easily miss that and assume the DVD is only available through AU.

It also advertises the bonus disc as part of the package, before stating that the set will be initially available though AU only. Nowhere does it say that the bonus disc is exclusive to AU. Does that mean the bonus disc could be part of the DVD set sold at by other retailers?
If only there were a button somewhere that I could push. To force me to stop talking.

Jason R
"Mr. DVD"

Post by Jason R » Oct 15th 2002, 3:29 pm

Hey, I am only posting this for 3 reasons:

1) I sincerely just wish they would ship these frigging DVDs already. That is ALL I have wanted all along. You won't find any of my 700+ posts contradicting this.
2) This may have been planned as a way to quickly sell 2000 or more additional units, thereby raising enough cash. If that was the case, it sure would have been nice to have been given a head's up.
3) Because AU has not been acting like it has the cash right now.

I suppose that I should be happy that they now have something up their sleeves to make more sales. I just don't agree with that way of doing business, if that is what it is.

pgh kenny
Angelica

Post by pgh kenny » Oct 15th 2002, 3:59 pm

anotheruniverse is starting to remind me of the plant in "Little Shop of Horrors" FEED ME..... FEED ME MORE MONEY NOW!!!!!!!!!!!!! I'LL EAT ALL OF YOUR BANK ACCOUNTS.

Anyways, thanks for posting the article. Hopefully after reading the AP article when it comes out, people will be smart enough to check amazon before ordering direct from au.

Jason R
"Mr. DVD"

Post by Jason R » Oct 15th 2002, 4:06 pm

N.B.: I am posting this thread here for my own protection. I believe that such a plan could, theoretically, work. This could raise the needed funds and enable them to sell the DVDs. Talk about being over-leveraged, though.

However, it does not change the fact that the CEO has been evasive.
It does not undo all of the order problems faced over the last 8 months.

It does not change the fact that BMG has not been paid, nor the lunchbox manufacturer.

Lastly, if this press was planned, it would have been nice to get some prior notice. Which leads me to the fact that the communication from AU has been poor.