Late Night Update

This forum has been closed and archived. No further postings allowed. Read-only access. For more informations read this announcement.
Hardware
Three Rivers Resident

Gift certificate - no thanks!!

Post by Hardware » Oct 9th 2002, 3:47 am

Just a quick answer to Jason's question "Do we want a gift certificate". The answer for me (as I'm sure it will be for everyone involved who's not from the US) is no thanks!! Considering that the minimum Shipping charge for anything I buy is $40, the certificate would have to be worth at least $50 for me to buy a $10 item (and it clearly isn't going to be this much).

If AU wants to go down this road, can I suggest for international customers that you simply waive the delivery charge instead (at least as a start).

Cheers,
Paul.

Chase Cat
Three Rivers Resident

Your gift for excuse

Post by Chase Cat » Oct 9th 2002, 6:59 am

Ross Rojek wrote:One of the reasons we can use a gift cert if that we do have thousands of items in stock. You may or may not like what we have, but its something we can offer.
I hope I will not get an old rotten spiderman comic magazin :wink:

If so, I would prefer issue No. 1. Do you have such thing on stock? :lol:

How about action figures... I imagaine Jason in shorts boxing against Ross, maybe without shorts... just a thought. Hehe

LetsBolt
Three Rivers Resident

Post by LetsBolt » Oct 9th 2002, 9:23 am

Q: If I don't pre-order a copy, will I be able to order a copy after the pre-order phase?
A: Another Universe plans to create a second run of the set. This second set is not a limited edition, so will not be limited to only 2500 copies. It will also not include the bonus disc or the special packaging, will only be available in the 5 disc form, and cost $115. (The limited edition was discounted in appreciation of the die-hard fans.)

Is that still true????????????

Jason R
"Mr. DVD"

Post by Jason R » Oct 9th 2002, 9:32 am

That information has changed. AU is supposed to be sending everyone the bonus disc and lunchbox as their competitive advantage over the competition. And the number pre-sold was at around 3,700. It's been very difficult for me to get accurate numbers, so I don't know exactly how many have sold. It's been many months and I still don't have that information, but it appears to be a lot more than 2,500.

I checked their site and it still is listed for $115, so I suppose that part is still true.
LetsBolt wrote:Q: If I don't pre-order a copy, will I be able to order a copy after the pre-order phase?
A: Another Universe plans to create a second run of the set. This second set is not a limited edition, so will not be limited to only 2500 copies. It will also not include the bonus disc or the special packaging, will only be available in the 5 disc form, and cost $115. (The limited edition was discounted in appreciation of the die-hard fans.)

Is that still true????????????

ClarenceWorley
Let's Bolt Regular

Re: Gift certificate - no thanks!!

Post by ClarenceWorley » Oct 9th 2002, 10:30 am

Hardware wrote:Just a quick answer to Jason's question "Do we want a gift certificate". The answer for me (as I'm sure it will be for everyone involved who's not from the US) is no thanks!! Considering that the minimum Shipping charge for anything I buy is $40, the certificate would have to be worth at least $50 for me to buy a $10 item (and it clearly isn't going to be this much).
I concur. A gift certificate is pretty worthless to Non-US customers, mainly due to their absurd international shipping rates.

Now, if AU offered us Amazon Gift Certificates...
"I'm just an ordinary guy with nothing to lose."

fnordboy
Ed Zwick Wannabe

Re: region 0/ region 2.....

Post by fnordboy » Oct 9th 2002, 11:12 am

angels_exist wrote:Yeah, i know a few people who have "adjusted" their DVD player, so that they can play any region DVD. Unfortunately, i only have DVD player on my laptop, which as far as i'm aware, you cannot "adjust"!
Actually it is fairly simple to make your dvd-rom region free. A lot simpler than a stand alone player. You would have to do some searching and find the right firmware for your model dvd-rom and install it. Its sort of sketchy in the sense that things can go wrongm with it. But dvd-roms are cheap now...
angels_exist wrote:On the Amazon website it says that the DVD's are region 1.

I know that the ones we have all ordered from AU are region 0, but it is weird that Amazon seem to be selling a regionally coded set..??

I hope Amazon have just made a mistake and that they are the region 0 DVD's.
For the 23rd time. Yes they are Region 0. Amazon has a typo or two.

aitchjv
Tino

Post by aitchjv » Oct 9th 2002, 11:14 am

I do not want anything ever again from AU- not only is the shipping to non US places absurd, i am not stupid enough to order again from them!

Compensation only comes in the form of cold hard cash or credit on my card for me!

Still waiting for my refund for being billed twice, starting to get some legal advice- seems like i can charge AU interest for the money they stole from my account.

aitchjv
Tino

Post by aitchjv » Oct 9th 2002, 11:14 am

I do not want anything ever again from AU- not only is the shipping to non US places absurd, i am not stupid enough to order again from them!

Compensation only comes in the form of cold hard cash or credit on my card for me!

Still waiting for me refund for being billed twice, starting to get some legal advice- seems like i can charge AU interest for the money they stole form my account.

john
Nicky Driscoll

Post by john » Oct 9th 2002, 11:27 am

Ross Rojek wrote:...plus other stuff we're adding on as a "we're sorry".
Holy s**t!! Was that an attempt at an apology?

john
Nicky Driscoll

Post by john » Oct 9th 2002, 11:39 am

Ross Rojek wrote:...plus other stuff we're adding on as a "we're sorry".
Holy s**t!! Was that an attempt at an apology?

Bitterman
Liberty High Student

Post by Bitterman » Oct 9th 2002, 1:41 pm

Ross: you mentioned there is nothing you can do to make people happy.

You can still make me happy. Even now! Refund the difference between your price, and Amazon's price. (That's ignoring the fact that it's even cheaper elsewhere). There is no reason you cannot do this. The BONUS disc and BONUS lunchbox are BONUSES, so I should not be charged more than $30 to get them; and getting it a week or two earlier than from Amazon (if that even happens) is no big deal when I ordered nine months earlier. And I want the t-shirt as an apology. Then I will be happy.

Will you do this? If not, why not?

socalledfan
Angela's best friend

Post by socalledfan » Oct 9th 2002, 3:44 pm

Bitterman wrote:Ross: you mentioned there is nothing you can do to make people happy.

You can still make me happy. Even now! Refund the difference between your price, and Amazon's price. (That's ignoring the fact that it's even cheaper elsewhere). There is no reason you cannot do this. The BONUS disc and BONUS lunchbox are BONUSES, so I should not be charged more than $30 to get them; and getting it a week or two earlier than from Amazon (if that even happens) is no big deal when I ordered nine months earlier. And I want the t-shirt as an apology. Then I will be happy.

Will you do this? If not, why not?
Here, here. The attitude that there is nothing AU can do to make us happy is friggin' unbelievable to me at this point. :?
"You're sooo beautiful, it HURTS to look at you."

Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Oct 9th 2002, 3:47 pm

I agree - Ross has resigned himself to that defeatist attitude, yet he's trying to pacify us with the possibility of a free t-shirt? That makes sense.

:roll:

GordLacey
TVShowsOnDVD.com

Post by GordLacey » Oct 9th 2002, 4:47 pm

Bitterman wrote:Refund the difference between your price, and Amazon's price. (That's ignoring the fact that it's even cheaper elsewhere). There is no reason you cannot do this. The BONUS disc and BONUS lunchbox are BONUSES, so I should not be charged more than $30 to get them
No, I'm not going to the other side, but I can understand why AU won't be refunding the difference between the Amazon price and the price you guys paid. There were costs associated with everything to do with the sets, and those costs need to be paid for. Jason has also said that he can't understand how Amazon can sell the set for that price...they aren't making much money at all. The bonus disc is not "bonus" meaning free, but "bonus" meaning not part of the regular set...it's value-added material. There were costs associated with producing the video, clearances for the Radio & TV footage and there will be costs to produce the DVD. All that was factored into the price that AU set at the start of this project. AU also has to pay for employee time, which obviously would be quite high given the time they have spent on this project.

I'm not defending AU, just pointing out that it's unreasonable to expect them to make up the difference just because another store is selling something with hardly any profit. I'm assuming Amazon's margins are completely different to those at AU.

Gord

LetsBolt
Three Rivers Resident

Post by LetsBolt » Oct 9th 2002, 7:36 pm

candygirl wrote:I agree - Ross has resigned himself to that defeatist attitude, yet he's trying to pacify us with the possibility of a free t-shirt? That makes sense.

:roll:
hehehehehehehe