Class-Action Lawsuit

This forum has been closed and archived. No further postings allowed. Read-only access. For more informations read this announcement.
Cate
Liberty High Student

Post by Cate » Oct 4th 2002, 9:18 pm

Recovering Fetus wrote:
Cate wrote:
:idea: Personally I think Ross should send the doublecharged folks a free MSCL Tshirt! And how about free shipping? :wink:

Just please, dear God, don't send AU gift certificates. :roll: (Sorry Ross)
I think everyone should get a free freakin t-shirt since we've waited this long AND the new information of it appearing on Amazon.com for much cheaper than we paid....I just feel so violated right now. I was so excited as I ordered this set for my boyfriend for a gift, and I haven't been able to produce it yet. I told him he was getting something special/limited edition, but now evidently any idiot can go on Amazon and get the very same copy that we do. Just kinda hurts my feelings a little for being lied to about AU being the "EXCLUSIVE" vendor for this product....
In light of the amazon.com selling this at such at drastic (to us) price difference, maybe Ross should:

1. reduce the price to us
2. free shipping
3. and yes, T-shirts as a bonus, for everyone.

I also ordered this as a birthday present - for my daughter (who reads this site religiously ... well she had been until all the problems began and then it just became to upsetting and confusing for her). I thank God my husband doesn't read here ... he has far less patience than I and our order would have been cancelled a long time ago.

I'm not quite sure this is AU's fault ... the more I think about it I doubt very much that it is. This must be a nightmare for Ross, and even though we too have been doublecharged and haven't had our charge card credited yet etc, I can really feel for the guy right now.

As far as the whole "BMG thought this would be in your hands by June ... or whenever ... " excuse given in another message - BMG *KNEW* it wouldn't be in our hands!

Nope, I don't think this is AU's fault. But I can certainly understand your feelings (I've had them too).

Ross Rojek
AnotherUniverse.com

Post by Ross Rojek » Oct 4th 2002, 9:31 pm

Cate wrote:As far as the whole "BMG thought this would be in your hands by June ... or whenever ... " excuse given in another message - BMG *KNEW* it wouldn't be in our hands!

Nope, I don't think this is AU's fault. But I can certainly understand your feelings (I've had them too).
Thanks. Actually BMG didn't have the authoring done until late August. But they've got the slipcases done and I'm waiting on the primary person at BMG to finally give me a firm ship date.

We should hopefully have everything (including the total package) ironed out and e-mailed to everyone in the next day or so. This hasn't been easy trying to deal with.

phelix
Yearbook Team

Post by phelix » Oct 5th 2002, 7:01 pm

rainydayjanes wrote:I guess if a class-action is the way you want to go, something to think about (which, if you've actually talked to a lawyer, I suppose you probably have) is that the amount of money you (or we) would be suing over here (per person) could work out to be less than what a lawyer charges per hour.
You're forgetting punative damages that could be awarded if the court determines that AU commited willful fraud, of which the evidence is pretty damning against them. As of today, AU still claims on their website they are the EXCLUSIVE retailer of the set. Many of us would have never given AU a dime if we had known we could have bought it at amazon. And certainly, none of us would have paid our preoder in advance (which is completely contrary to standard preorder practice) had we known we could have just bought the set at amazon. Since these types of backroom deals don't happen overnight, there is some period of time between March and now that AU falsely advertised the set as being exclusive to them. This is all my opinion of course (lest AU try to sue me for libel), and I'm not a lawyer.

BTW, I recommend everyone go to AU's web site and copy or printout the pages on the DVD set before AU changes them. I have.

Of course, what's the point you say, all I'll get out of it is a coupon or something. Class action suits aren't really about compensation, they're about punishing a company for wrongdoing (justice, public good, and all that crap).

The only downside to a class action suit is the damage it would do to Jason's reputation. Guilt by association is hard to shake. And of course, depositions and all that would eat into his time. And the possiblity of Jason being named as a defendent, which I hope nobody here would want.

It's sad really, I was hoping that this would be a complete success, so that other groups could see that it was possible and try to make DVD sets of other neglected TV shows. But I suspect this experiece will only scare people away from trying this again.

BTW, I'm at 4+ weeks without getting a refund for my doublecharge. I filed a dispute with my bank thursday. Enough is enough.

pgh kenny
Angelica

Post by pgh kenny » Oct 5th 2002, 7:38 pm

phelix wrote: As of today, AU still claims on their website they are the EXCLUSIVE retailer of the set.
Sadly, in a legal sense, AU is not lying.... they are the exclusive retailer of the "collection" which inlcudes the whole season + bonus disc. amazon is selling the "box set" of the season only. so while i think AU is acting unethically, they are not technically lying to potential customers.

now, will amazon successfully convince ventura to petition AU to let amazon sell the bonus disc too? jason seems to think no; ross has said he expects to be contacted by ventura, but seems to say no...

i say money talks and before long amazon will indeed be offering the bonus disc too. nothing will suprise me at this point

gizmodvdx
Nicky Driscoll

Post by gizmodvdx » Oct 5th 2002, 10:25 pm

Kenny, you are WRONG. AU is not the exclusive seller just because they are including a bonus DVD and a lunchbox. Different stores have different promotions.

Anchor Bay released Sleepaway Camp in a DVD boxset. However, Bestbuy got a bonus 4 disc, does that make that entire set an 'exclusive' to them? Did they charge an extra $40 for that bonus? No. AU is wrongly saying its an exclusive when it obviously is not.

fnordboy
Ed Zwick Wannabe

Post by fnordboy » Oct 5th 2002, 10:49 pm

gizmodvdx wrote:Anchor Bay released Sleepaway Camp in a DVD boxset. However, Bestbuy got a bonus 4 disc, does that make that entire set an 'exclusive' to them? Did they charge an extra $40 for that bonus? No. AU is wrongly saying its an exclusive when it obviously is not.
The Sleepaway Camp set is pretty nice too, and it was dirt cheap... now if only Best Buy had the MSCL with BOnus....imagine how cheap it would be first week of release <drool>

brooklyn_bridge_4sale
Nicky Driscoll

THE AMAZON CRONIES ARE HERE PUMPING THE DVD!!

Post by brooklyn_bridge_4sale » Oct 6th 2002, 12:41 am

what a shame, lol .