2007 DVD release (Shout! Factory)

ShoutFactory.com will release on October 30, 2007 a new DVD set in the United States featuring serveral hours of new bonus material.
Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

2007 DVD release (Shout! Factory)

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » May 15th 2007, 5:37 am

"My So-Called Life" will be re-released in 2007 on DVD! Here's what we know so far!

Last update: July 12, 2007 by Sascha

Cover art of the upcoming MSCL DVD box set

Is MSCL being released in R1?
Yes, a release is in the works and will be available in stores on October 30, 2007.

Here's the press release:
THE CROWN JEWEL OF COMING-OF-AGE DRAMAS FINALLY HIT THE SHELVES THIS FALL!

My So-Called Life: The Complete Series
Starring Golden Globe®-winner Claire Danes as Angela Chase

For the First Time Ever, Audiences Can Experience the Whole Story of This Beloved Television Drama in a Six-DVD Collectible Box Set Packed with All 19 Addictive Episodes, A Special Commemorative Book and All-New Special Features

Available October 30, 2007 from Shout! Factory

LOS ANGELES, CALIFORNIA - Before anyone had heard of Rory Gilmore, Dawson Leery, Felicity Porter or Buffy Summers, America's most-beloved 15-year old high school sophomore was Angela Chase. Angela, her family and her group of friends were introduced with My So-Called Life, the highly celebrated TV series that launched the careers of Golden Globe®-winner Claire Danes, Jared Leto and Wilson Cruz. Impacting a generation, this triggered a revolution of teen-angst oriented dramas seen on today's prime-time television.

On October 30, 2007, Shout! Factory will release My So-Called Life: The Complete Series DVD, featuring all nineteen episodes and a full disc of hours of bonus features that illuminate the origin, life and afterlife of this Emmy®-nominated benchmark series with all-new interviews, episode commentaries and archival footage featuring the original cast and creators. Moreover, Shout! Factory invites viewers and fans to further immerse themselves in a 40-page color book, highlighted by a special introduction by show creator Winnie Holzman, special tributes by Janeane Garofalo and Joss Whedon, and much more! Poised to satisfy the appetite of My So-Called Life and Claire Danes fans for ritual viewing and priced to own at $69.99, this uncompromising six-disc DVD box set with a commemorative book are collected in a specially designed collector's box with a embossed, case-bound cover.

Hailed by critics and fans alike as the most groundbreaking television show of the 1990s, My So-Called Life not only launched a revolution of teen angst-oriented dramas on prime-time television, but also raised the bar for television shows about coming-of age and life's transitions. Unafraid to explore any subject, no matter how controversial, the series tackles topical issues such as sexuality, alcoholism, homelessness, school violence, adultery, homophobia, child abuse, censorship and drug use.

Created by Winnie Holzman (Wicked, thirtysomething) and executive produced by Marshall Herskovitz (thirtysomething, Once and Again, The Last Samurai) and Edward Zwick (Blood Diamond, I Am Sam, Traffic), My So-Called Life boasts a stellar cast including Claire Danes, Jared Leto, Wilson Cruz, A.J. Langer, Devon Gummersall, Devon Odessa, Bess Armstrong, Tom Irwin and Lisa Wilhoit. Whether you've memorized every line, or it's your very first time, My So-Called Life remains as fresh and honest today as when it premiered. My So Called Life premiered on ABC Thursday, August 25, 1994, from The Bedford Falls Company in association with ABC Productions, Inc.

IN-DEPTH DVD Special Features include

Featurettes with the cast and creators:
o "My So-Called Life Story" - The amazing story of the origins, life and afterlife of the series.
o 1995 Museum of Television and Radio Panel
o "A Conversation with Claire Danes and Winnie Holzman"
o "The Characters" - Exploring the backstories and relationships of the characters.
o An exclusive interview with Claire Danes
o Photo gallery
o "The Music" with composer Snuffy Waldren
o Deluxe book accompanies set and includes original art alongside full-color cast photos and liner notes from Winnie Holzman, Joss Whedon, Janeane Garofalo, and Michele Byers (author and co-editor of new book Dear Angela: Remembering My So-Called Life - due out this year).
Shout! Factory is a diversified entertainment company devoted to producing, uncovering and revitalizing the very best of pop culture. Founders Richard Foos, Bob Emmer and Garson Foos have spent their careers sharing their music, television and film faves with discerning consumers the world over. Shout! Factory's DVD offerings serve up classic, contemporary and cult TV series, riveting sports programs, live music, animation and documentaries in lavish packages crammed with extras. The company's audio catalogue boasts GRAMMY®-nominated boxed sets, new releases from storied artists, lovingly assembled album reissues and indispensable "best of" compilations. These riches are the result of a creative acquisitions mandate that has established the company as a hotbed of cultural preservation and commercial reinvention. Shout! Factory is based in Santa Monica, Calif. Its fine products are distributed by Sony BMG Music Entertainment Inc and Vivendi Visual Entertainment. For more on Shout! Factory, visit http://www.shoutfactory.com .

tvshowsondvd.com broke the news in May 2007:
We've heard some rumors about a new My So-Called Life DVD set being in the works, but we cannot confirm or deny this. They appeared to be just that - rumors.

We'll keep you updated on anything more we hear. Feel like discussing the past DVD, or the new one? Head over to the DVD section of the MSCL.com website. You can also read all about the controversy surrounding the first set (it was pretty crazy).

An article in the trade magazine VideoBusiness in late May 2007 mentioned more details about the DVD set.

Who is releasing MSCL in R1?
The set is expected to be released by Shout! Factory, the studio that handled the really impressive Freaks & Geeks set.

What are the bonus features on the R1 release?
Since the R1 DVD set has not been officially confirmed, we do not know what the bonus features will be. There is a list of suggestions here, but we can't confirm that any of these features will end up on the DVD. If you have more suggestions for bonus features, feel free to add to the list or email Shout! Factory directly.

Please note that nothing is officially announced or set in stone. Things may still change!

Shout!Factory shot so far interviews with the following people:

Crew:
- Edward Zwick, Marshall Herskovitz and Winnie Holzman (executive producers and creators of "My So-Called Life")
- Todd Holland (director "Life of Brian" and "Weekend")
- Jason Katims (writer "The Substitute", "Life of Brian", "So-Called Angels")
- Scott Winant (co-executive producer, director "So-Called Angels", "Dancing in the Dark" and pilot episode)

Cast:
- Wilson Cruz ("Rickie Vasquez")
- Paul Dooley ("Chuck Wood", he's also Winnie Holzman's husband)
- Devon Gummersall ("Brian Krakow")

Audio commentaries for the following episodes (with various cast & crew members):
- The pilot episode
- Life of Brian
- So-Called Angels

More commentaries with other cast and crew members are in development.

The booklet will have tributes by Joss Whedon (of "Buffy" and "Firefly" fame) and Janeane Garofalo ("Felicity", "The Larry Sanders Show"). Winnie Holzman will add an introduction with thoughts about possible future plot developments.

We will add new informations to this forum and our website at http://www.mscl.com/dvd as soon as they are confirmed.

How much will the R1 DVD cost? Where will the set be available? When can I preorder?
Again, the set has not been confirmed, so at this point we don't know if it is being released, let alone what the retail price would be, where it might be sold, or when orders might be accepted.

Where can I talk about the DVD release at the forum?
R2 release: http://www.mscl.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4052
R1 release: http://www.mscl.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4087
Shout! Factory: http://www.mscl.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4092

How can I contact Shout! Factory?
You can contact them through their website:
http://www.shoutfactory.com/contact.aspx

You can email them at retail@shoutfactory.com

You can also send them letters:
Shout!Factory
2042-A Armacost Ave.
Los Angeles, CA 90025

What happened with the last release? What is the controversy which was referred to by tvshowsondvd?
You can read all about it in the Another Universe section of the forum. Here's the short version:

AU was supposed to release the set exclusively (meaning no other retailers would be selling the MSCL set). The first 2500 orders would also come with a special MSCL lunchbox created for the DVD set. The bonus features were supposed to be (1) the 1995 Museum of Television and Radio session with the cast and crew of MSCL from 1995 and (2) a 2002 interview with Winnie Holzman, Ed Zwick, and Marshall Herskowitz.

Many people preordered in February 2002 and were double and triple charged for the set ($99 each time). They were told not to report it to their credit card companies because then AU would not be able to refund their money. Months went by without refunds, and when people finally reported what happened to their credit card companies, they were told that it was beyond the time period where the credit card companies could do anything about it.

The original release date was scheduled to be June 2002, but the DVDs did not begin to ship until November 2002. There were issues regarding music clearances as well as non-payment from AU to BMG that caused the delays. Shortly before the DVDs began shipping, AU decided to allow other retailers to sell the DVD set (without the lunchbox or bonus disc). Everyone who had already paid $99 for the set (and in many cases been double and triple charged) was frustrated that the DVD set was being sold for as low as $45. The choice was to cancel their AU orders and risk never receiving a refund (a pretty big risk considering that many people were never credited for the double and triple charges) or hope that AU shipped their DVDs. In the midst of this, phone calls and emails to AU were going unanswered, their phones were disconnected, employees reported not being paid, and there was a general feeling of chaos. In order to persuade customers not to cancel their orders, AU promised that everyone who received an AU set would also get a lunchbox and bonus disc (not just the first 2500 orders) as well as a free MSCL shirt and an AU gift certificate. The shirts and gift certificates never materialized.

The lunchboxes and bonus discs (which contained only the 2002 Bedford Falls interview, not the 1995 MTR session) were not shipped until a year later in November 2003 because AU still owed the lunchbox manufacturer an outstanding balance. Eventually when AU closed its doors in 2004 because Ross Rojek (the CEO of AU) was arrested on fraud charges, Jason Rosenfeld (the man responsible for getting MSCL released on DVD in 2002) retrieved the remaining lunchboxes and shipped them to customers who still hadn't received them. Whew!

Please read the forum rules, which you can find here: http://www.mscl.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2789

By posting in this forum, you agree to abide by these rules.