plaid

General discussion about the nineteen episodes of "My So-Called Life". Note: Our episode guide can be found here.
xtherainkingx

plaid

Post by xtherainkingx » Dec 8th 2002, 2:39 am

i don't know if this has ever been brought up before, but i really love the way everyone in the show wears plaid. i'm 17, so i wasn't in my teenage years when the show was on the air, but was plaid a popular thing to wear during that time? at first i just thought it was rayanne and angela's style, but i noticed that practically all of the kids in the show wear it.

what do you all think?

SanDeE*
So-Called Addict

Post by SanDeE* » Dec 8th 2002, 4:17 am

Plaid was big. It was the "grunge" era, and all the popular grunge band musicians wore plaid, which I think is a huge influence. Overalls and oversized band t-shirts were pretty popular too. I first experienced MSCL when I was in middle school, and we had an eighth-graders graduation dance at the end of the year. My outfit? A black long-sleeved, knee-length, empire-waist crushed-velvet dress (similar to the red one Angela wears in the Zit) with combat boots. VERY grunge/punk. Also - Rayanne (and a lot of other kids in the show) wear Chuckies shoes, which were also popular at the time.

I can't remember girls wearing a lot of form-fitting clothing back then, either. Perhaps that started with the advent of Ms. Spears on the music scene. The girls on the show don't wear a lot of particularly sexy clothing in general. Rayanne wears some form-fitting stuff, but only with a huge plaid button-down shirt over her. I'd have to watch a little more closely next time to make sure.

grlNmiami
Tino

Does this make anyone else feel old?

Post by grlNmiami » Dec 8th 2002, 7:44 pm

LOL... asking if plaid was "in" HAHAHA no shame in asking, but whew! wasn't aware I was getting that old! Plaid was my wardrobe through most of high school(which is when the show aired) the doc martens, baggy jeans... and i LIVED in this baby-doll plaid dress (similar to the long sleeved one Angela wears in several of the early episodes). I still have that dress.... :wink:

Megs
Lifehead

Post by Megs » Dec 11th 2002, 11:53 pm

Was plaid in? Heh. 1994? Heck, yeah. I remember this awesome plaid shirt I had. I loved that shirt. I was just looking for it the other day. I also had a plaid dress like Angela's. Wow. Plaid. Chuck's. I had, like, 8 pairs of Chuckies. One for every outfit. Takes ya back! :D
"I have all these dreams where I know exactly what to say. And you tell me, you know, that you forgive me."

Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Dec 12th 2002, 12:50 am

Remember the two toned chucks? One color on the outside as hightops, then you could fold them down to make them lowtops and the inside color would show?

Those were the days!

:D
Natasha aka candygirl :: MSCL.com

Look, if this is weird for you, being tutored? I don't mind helping you a little longer.
You could have sex with me if you really want to help...I guess that's a "no"?

fnordboy
Ed Zwick Wannabe

Post by fnordboy » Dec 12th 2002, 2:13 am

candygirl wrote:Remember the two toned chucks? One color on the outside as hightops, then you could fold them down to make them lowtops and the inside color would show?

Those were the days!

I always thought those were the ugliest incarnation of converse.

I graduated in 1994 and grunge was huge at that point...just about over too (went too far past my expected lifespan). My school always was mainly hoods, very few punks, and too many nirvan-ites and plaid was always big with the hood crowd too so the halls were a sea of plaid for the majority of my HS time.

<sigh> remember the days long before when you couldn't get Docs at the mall?

Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Dec 12th 2002, 3:09 am

I always liked and still do like plaid (maybe because I went to Catholic school?). Every boyfriend I have ever had from middle school on lost at least one plaid shirt permanently. I wasn't bitter about the grunge scene co-opting plaid into a national fashion statement; however, one morning in my freshman dorm a guy asked, "So are you going grunge today?" because I was wearing a plaid shirt to the cafeteria. THAT did bug me.

Those two toned Converse? My sister had a pair that were orange and yellow. Totally heinous.

:wink:

Look, if this is weird for you, being tutored? I don't mind helping you a little longer.

fnordboy
Ed Zwick Wannabe

Post by fnordboy » Dec 12th 2002, 3:22 am

candygirl wrote:(maybe because I went to Catholic school?).
hubba hubba :wink:

Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Dec 12th 2002, 3:31 am

I did like my plaid skirt a lot, but I was very pleased when they became readily available in stores (because I had outgrown mine and because our school colors were brown and yellow - or as we used to say, "pee and poo colors") so I enjoyed being able to buy normal colored plaid skirts - blue/green, red/black.

P.S. Looks like that dirty birdy moniker from the Claire thread was more than appropriate.

:wink:

Megs
Lifehead

Post by Megs » Dec 12th 2002, 3:16 pm

I had two pairs of plaid Chuck's. :lol: Never had the two-toned ones that folded down. I never had the high top ones; I loved the low tops. My favorites were my blue ones, my black ones, and my white ones.
"I have all these dreams where I know exactly what to say. And you tell me, you know, that you forgive me."

Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Dec 12th 2002, 3:43 pm

I never had the plaid ones - such a deprived childhood! The blue low tops were my favorite.

JPP13
Angela's best friend

Post by JPP13 » Dec 12th 2002, 3:48 pm

I've always dug plaid on a girl. It may be the remnants of my Catholic School upbriging as well.

Jennifer
Nicky Driscoll

Post by Jennifer » Dec 26th 2002, 12:53 pm

My two-toned Chucks were white on the outside, and white with multicolored pinstripes on the inside. On days when I was having a particularly difficult time, I would wear one up and one down. Yep, I was quite the fashion maven. And I still have one of my dresses from the plaid era, too.

pennylanedepp
Tino

Post by pennylanedepp » Dec 26th 2002, 9:17 pm

I wasn't in high school when the show aired, I was in about 5th and 6th grade but I remember I had 2 plaid babydoll dresses that i lived in. Also in Junior High I wore plaid shirts alot, and I also had Dr Martens and still do, I think we should bring back plaid.

heater_05
Three Rivers Resident

Post by heater_05 » Dec 27th 2002, 2:04 am

Okay, okay, hello plaid as huge. Everytime Im watch the show I remember what I use to wear with fondness, then I wonder what happen to all those clothes? I was in mid college when the show aired. I had several flannel plaid shirts, a jacket, three pairs of boots, and about four pairs of Chuck Taylors. I just threw out my last pair of falling apart Chuck Taylors out yesteraday. Although Chuck taylor's are timeless, I have owned several pairs all through junior high, high school, and up to the present.
I wish I knew where all those clothes went? I think they pretty much wore out. Not too sturdy, those flannels when you wear them everyday.
"It just goes to show you, if it's not one thing it's another, but it's always something!"

Roseanne Roseannadanna