Princess Patty

General discussion about the nineteen episodes of "My So-Called Life". Note: Our episode guide can be found here.
Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Princess Patty

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Nov 29th 2002, 7:56 pm

Great suggestion for a new topic by Megs!

There are several princess references by Patty:

- Cinderella figurine that her dad gave her (Dancing in the Dark)

- "It's gonna be ten o'clock at night, she's going to be poking around in that kitchen like Princess Di asking you to make her something" (Patty talking about Angela being hungry later in Pressure)

- Patty's dream with Princess Di and Tony Poole (In Dreams Begin Responsibilities)

Does Patty see herself as a porcelein princess, something to be treated carefully?

Patty seems to identify with Princess Di, but when she refers to Angela poking around in the kitchen like Princess Di, is she unconsciously recognizing herself in Angela?

Princess Di DID get a divorce - does this statement in her dream ("Princesses don't get divorced") reflect her fear that Graham is cheating on her? And notice that Patty kisses Tony AFTER Princess Di's divorce statement. Is this her "unconscious wish to punish" Graham? :wink:

Megs
Lifehead

Post by Megs » Nov 29th 2002, 9:40 pm

A huge WORD to everything you wrote.

She was also Rapunzel in Halloween. Any thoughts on that?
"I have all these dreams where I know exactly what to say. And you tell me, you know, that you forgive me."

Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Nov 30th 2002, 9:32 pm

I think Patty's transformation in the Rapunzel costume is a fantasy that all women occassionally indulge in - being taken care of by someone strong, being swept off her feet, being submissive. Given her daily persona (disciplining the kids, running her family's business, etc.), it makes even more sense that she enjoyed being Rapunzel for a few hours.

Megs
Lifehead

Post by Megs » Dec 1st 2002, 9:30 pm

Yeah, it was nice little role reversal for Patty and Graham in Halloween. :lol: I love seeing Graham so, so.. "cutthroat". :wink:
"I have all these dreams where I know exactly what to say. And you tell me, you know, that you forgive me."

dTheater
Liberty High Graduate

Post by dTheater » Dec 2nd 2002, 1:18 am

Halloween has never been my favorite episode...in fact, I'd say it was my least-favorite...but just having seen it again for the first time in a long time, I never noticed just how darn adorable Claire looked in that 1950s, cat eyeglasses costume. But then again, I guess I do kind of have an eyeglasses fetish thing.
- Jim

Kaytee Bodle: Girl With Guitar
http://girlwithguitar.0catch.com (audio, video, tabs, lyrics, etc.)

Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Dec 2nd 2002, 2:29 am

It's also amazing what a difference a small amount of eyeliner makes in her appearance. Then again, we're so used to seeing her as au naturel makeup-free Angela. The few times she wears a darker colored lipstick, it really brightens up her face.

Speaking of au naturel, in the Halloween episode when Danielle returns Angela's shirt, we see that Angela has several bottle of perfume on her dresser but given the no makeup grunge-ish thing she has going on, how likely is it that she's wearing perfume on a daily basis?

On the other hand, we see Rayanne spraying herself in the bathroom (Pilot - "...and it's a perfect lie") and Amber dousing herself with perfume (Other People's Mothers - "I've got ten minutes before I'm supposed to meet Rusty"). Like mother like daughter?

Megs
Lifehead

Post by Megs » Dec 3rd 2002, 10:17 pm

Back to Patty-cakes. Why is she always wearing red? It seems like the color red is a prevalent theme throughout the show. What's that about?

lizardcub
Three Rivers Resident

Post by lizardcub » Dec 4th 2002, 1:34 am

candygirl wrote:Speaking of au naturel, in the Halloween episode when Danielle returns Angela's shirt, we see that Angela has several bottle of perfume on her dresser but given the no makeup grunge-ish thing she has going on, how likely is it that she's wearing perfume on a daily basis?
Very unlikely, but I can imagine Angela's grandmother giving her perfume as a gift and that sort of thing. And one might be one that she bought with Rayanne in preparation for something, maybe the trip to Let's Bolt. In short: I can fanwank it easy.

glitter_punk
Overlooked Sibling

Red

Post by glitter_punk » Dec 4th 2002, 6:35 pm

...Patty wears red because as camille said, "men like it when women wear red" hehe :)
This life has been a test. If it had been an actual life, you would  have received actual instructions on where to go and what to do.

Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Dec 4th 2002, 8:05 pm

lizardcub wrote:
candygirl wrote:Speaking of au naturel, in the Halloween episode when Danielle returns Angela's shirt, we see that Angela has several bottle of perfume on her dresser but given the no makeup grunge-ish thing she has going on, how likely is it that she's wearing perfume on a daily basis?
Very unlikely, but I can imagine Angela's grandmother giving her perfume as a gift and that sort of thing. And one might be one that she bought with Rayanne in preparation for something, maybe the trip to Let's Bolt. In short: I can fanwank it easy.
Gift from Vivian - excellent explanation! Perfume does seem like a Vivian type of gift - tasteful, expensive, etc.

Another possibility is that Angela bought some cheap cologne pre-grunge (7th-8th gradish?) and keeps the bottles on the dresser out of habit or because they are pretty. I remember wearing Charlie and Exclamation when I was in middle school, and long after I quit wearing that stuff the bottles sat on my dresser to keep the new bottles company.

:D

Besides, cheap drugstore perfume seems like a perfect companion to the black eyeliner/red lipstick/big hair of the late 80s and early 90s when Angela would have wanted to start experimenting with makeup and being a teenager.

TomSpeed
Marshall Wannabe

Post by TomSpeed » Jan 21st 2003, 12:08 pm

dTheater wrote:Halloween has never been my favorite episode...in fact, I'd say it was my least-favorite...but just having seen it again for the first time in a long time, I never noticed just how darn adorable Claire looked in that 1950s, cat eyeglasses costume. But then again, I guess I do kind of have an eyeglasses fetish thing.
I don't feel so bad anymore. The "cat eyeglasses costume" Angela wears in "Halloween" really gets my motor running as well. Maybe what Patty says in "Dancing in the Dark" is true: sometimes men like women to look different. Of course, I could just have a thing for good looking young women who wear retro glasses.
TomSpeed

Patty: If Rayanne's not seeing you, and we're not seeing you, who is seeing you?
Graham: And how much of you?
Angela: Dad!
Graham: Oh, I'm sorry! I asked a question about your life, didn't I? Woah, what came over me?
http://www.last.fm/user/TomSpeed/

missmarmalade
Nicky Driscoll

Post by missmarmalade » Jan 21st 2003, 7:34 pm

Red is a very strong and powerful color. Maybe she wears red to create the facade that she IS indeed those things.

Red is also a very sexy color...and with her feeling discontented with the sexual relationship between she and Graham, maybe she wears red to peak his interest, or in the least, to convince herself that she is still sexy.

Megs
Lifehead

Post by Megs » Jan 22nd 2003, 10:32 am

missmarmalade wrote:Red is a very strong and powerful color. Maybe she wears red to create the facade that she IS indeed those things.

Red is also a very sexy color...and with her feeling discontented with the sexual relationship between she and Graham, maybe she wears red to peak his interest, or in the least, to convince herself that she is still sexy.
If you are interested in reading other views, here is a previous discussion on why Patty wears so much red:

http://www.mscl.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1847

I think that you are right that red is a very strong and powerful color, and that embodies Patty well.

missmarmalade
Nicky Driscoll

Post by missmarmalade » Jan 22nd 2003, 11:20 am

Very interesting that what I have mentioned was also mentioned before...so many people on the same wavelength.

Megs
Lifehead

Post by Megs » Jan 22nd 2003, 12:09 pm

Your welcome. That's why I thought that you would be interested in reading it.

:D