seven conversations

General discussion about the nineteen episodes of "My So-Called Life". Note: Our episode guide can be found here.
Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

seven conversations

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Nov 27th 2002, 4:47 am

In Halloween, Angela says, "Does anybody know Jordan Catalano? That question, like, got to me. I mean, I'd had seven conversations with him, and one really bad kiss, and one amazing one."

My question is what Angela considers to be conversations with Jordan. Due to her limited interaction with him, I would assume she meant any time that they exchanged words but going by that loose definition, they have had more than seven conversations.

(1) "What day is it?" at Tino's party (pilot)
(2) "Out on bail?" Monday morning after Let's Bolt (pilot)
(3) the fake ID/really bad kiss in Jordan's car (Dancing in the Dark)
(4) Heimlich maneuver/the Rumor (Guns & Gossip)
(5) Jordan's apology/"we mean nothing to each other" (Guns & Gossip)
(6) scalp the Dead tickets (Father Figures)
(7) coffee - black with 3 or 4 sugars at the museum (Why Jordan Can't Read)
(8) Jordan gives the letter back to Angela after class (WJCR)
(9) snow making guys/amazing kiss in Jordan's car (WJCR)
(10) Bicycle Thief/meet the parents (WJCR)
(11) Angela crying under the bleachers (Strangers in the House)

I know this is nit-picking, but which of these don't count as conversations?

So-Called Angel
Three Rivers Resident

Post by So-Called Angel » Nov 27th 2002, 11:04 pm

Hey, there's nothing wrong with nit-picking. I did this exact same thing when I saw "Dancing in the Dark" in it's entirety for the first time about 3 months ago. I previously only had it on VHS with the last half missing. :x

Anyway, it's the bit where Angela is in Jordan's car getting her ID. He asks her how old she is and then he tells her she acts younger and that she talks too much. Angela gets defensive and she says something like "I've said, like, eight sentences to you in my entire life". Well, right there and then, I went back and watched The Pilot and Dancing in the Dark and I counted more than eight sentences. She says more than eight sentences in the ID scene that leads up to that moment in Dancing in the Dark, although I can't remember exactly how many.

I guess it depends on what she classifies as a sentence. It's the same with what she classifies as a conversation. Maybe, as far as Angela is concerned, there has to be a minimum number of sentences for it to qualify as a conversation :?. Obviously, what Angela, or indeed the writers consider to be a sentence or conversation isn't what you or I consider them to be. Or the Chambers Dictionary for that matter!

In the dictionary:

conversation talk; an instance of communication by talking.
sentence a number of words making a complete grammatical structure, in writing generally begun with a capital letter and ended with a full stop or it's equivalent.
"See, I have this philosophy......."

Megs
Lifehead

Post by Megs » Nov 27th 2002, 11:34 pm

Maybe she wasn't being exact. Maybe she was just throwing out some random number that sounded about right.
"I have all these dreams where I know exactly what to say. And you tell me, you know, that you forgive me."

Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Nov 28th 2002, 12:33 am

I see what you're saying Megs, but I could see that applying more to when she actually says, "I've said, like, eight sentences to you in my entire life" because she's using it as an arbitrary low number to demonstrate that they have barely ever spoken, but the seven conversations thing is in her head so I put a little more stock in that. Plus I always figured that her obsession extended to minute details - like every single conversation she has ever had with Jordan has been analyzed and catalogued.

:D

SCA - every time I watch Dancing in the Dark, I think I will have to go back and count all of her sentences to Jordan in the Pilot....but not now because I'm right in the middle of watching a different episode - and I just never got around to actually counting them up but it always seemed like more than eight.

OCD uniting MSCL fans!