Claire Danes in "Shopgirl"

Discuss former or new projects of Claire Danes ("Angela Chase") in this forum.
Sascha
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Claire Danes in "Shopgirl"

Post by Sascha » Oct 16th 2002, 11:02 am

Harold Wexler on the Planet Claire Mailing-List discovered the following news article from Hollywood Reporter:

Danes in market for 'Shopgirl' at Lakeshore Ent.
Oct. 16, 2002

Claire Danes is in negotiations to star in the title role of Lakeshore Entertainment's romantic comedy "Shopgirl" for director Anand Tucker. The project, based on Steve Martin's best-selling novel of the same name, is slated to begin in late January in Los Angles, with Martin also starring. A domestic distributor is expected to come aboard shortly. "Shopgirl" would see Danes star as Mirabelle, a disenchanted salesgirl and aspiring artist who sells gloves and accessories at Neiman Marcus. She has two men in her life: wealthy divorcee Ray Porter (Martin) and struggling musician Jeremy. Mirabelle falls in love with the glamorous Ray, and her life takes a magical turn, but eventually she realizes that she must empower herself and make a choice between them. Lakeshore's Tom Rosenberg and Gary Lucchesi are producing from a script by Martin, who will executive produce. Danes, repped by UTA and manager Michael Aglion, is onscreen in United Artists' "Igby Goes Down." Upcoming projects include Miramax Films' "The Hours" and the Warner Bros. Pictures-distributed "Terminator 3: Rise of the Machines." (Zorianna Kit and Chris Gardner)

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/hollyw ... id=1742318

Here's more info about Steve Martins book:
http://www.stevemartin.com/print/shopgirl.php
Last edited by Sascha on Jul 8th 2004, 4:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Oct 16th 2002, 1:05 pm

:shock:

Wow! I love that book and I can totally picture Claire Danes as Mirabelle. As much as I love Ah-nold, this news is way more exciting!!

SanDeE*
So-Called Addict

Post by SanDeE* » Nov 5th 2002, 2:16 am

oh....my....god.....
Really? There's going to be a Shopgirl movie? Really? Starring Claire Danes and Steve Martin? Really? :wink:

I can't believe it. That's me. I mean, I'm not the only person who has identified themselves with Claire Danes as Angela, and because I've done this, I've either consciously or unconciously identified with other characters she has played. I fell in love with Steve Martin's "Shopgirl." One of my favorite books! And not to mention the fact that I have a BIG CRUSH on Steve Martin. Oh man I can see it now - I'll watch that movie imagining that I'm Claire Danes (or the character she's playing), just like I watched MSCL and imagined that I was Angela.

OOOOH I can't WAIT!

SanDeE*
So-Called Addict

Post by SanDeE* » Nov 5th 2002, 12:07 pm

The people over on the message boards at stevemartin.com think Claire is too young to be playing Mirabelle. Mirabelle is a 28 year old who looks like she's 24. Let's see...Claire will be 24 this spring, right? Who looks more like a 24 year old than a 24 year old! Anyway, some of their choices were really odd - one of them said Natalie Portman (who definately IS too young) and another said Julia Roberts (who is definately too old). Sort of like Goldilocks' porridge: Claire would be just right for the role!

Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Nov 8th 2002, 4:16 am

And did anyone hear about Winona's shoplifting alibi that she was doing "research" for Shopgirl?!

SanDeE*
So-Called Addict

Post by SanDeE* » Nov 9th 2002, 12:07 pm

Uhh...Mirabelle (main character in Shopgirl) did not shoplift and did not have the money for $3,000 blouses (which I heard she legitimatly purchased befor her crime). Nice try Winona.

Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Nov 9th 2002, 11:42 pm

Exactly! I couldn't believe that Winona tried to blame her shopping excursion on "Shopgirl" research - no one in the entire book shoplifted anything. My boyfriend said that maybe she was doing research for a new movie: "Shoplifting Girl."

:D

Post by Guest » Dec 8th 2002, 9:53 pm

It looks like Claire Danes is now confirmed to star in Shopgirl with Steve Martin as Ray Porter and Jimmy Fallon as Jeremy.

I am curious as to who will play Lisa though.

:D

Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Dec 8th 2002, 10:00 pm

Oops, that was me. I was so busy lollygagging that I wasn't logged in when I hit "post."

:oops:
Natasha aka candygirl :: MSCL.com

Look, if this is weird for you, being tutored? I don't mind helping you a little longer.
You could have sex with me if you really want to help...I guess that's a "no"?

zero
Liberty High Student

Post by zero » Dec 8th 2002, 10:47 pm

candygirl wrote:lollygagging
people actually use that word? fantastic.

Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Oct 24th 2003, 2:24 am

The latest news!

Jimmy Fallon is unable to participate due to scheduling conflicts (he is currently filming Taxi - originally Shopgirl was set to begin filming in January 2003) so Jason Schwartzman is now playing the role of Jeremy.

According to imdb.com, Bridgette Wilson is now on the cast list but her character's name is unspecified. She is probably playing Lisa (or possibly the omniscent female narrator).

Shopgirl is now being financed by Disney (Lakeshore Entertainment was the original financier).

Chase Cat posted pictures from filming here.
Natasha aka candygirl :: MSCL.com

Look, if this is weird for you, being tutored? I don't mind helping you a little longer.
You could have sex with me if you really want to help...I guess that's a "no"?

Sascha
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Sascha » Jul 8th 2004, 4:09 am

Just to bring a old topic back from the dead: "Shopgirl" is now listed for a November 2004 release in the US.

whitespy12
Three Rivers Resident

Post by whitespy12 » Jan 10th 2005, 6:58 pm

It seems Jeffery Wells' Hollywood Elsewhere (http://www.hollywood-elsewhere.com) is claiming that Shopgirl will now see a release in Fall of 2005 (as opposed to the previous Q1 2005 release). I'm guessing this is good news, in the sense that most studios release films that they see as award contenders towards the end of the year rather than the beginning... hopefully that's the case here.

Also, does anyone have the early pictures from filming on Shopgirl that Chase Cat posted a while back (I believe they were from the now apparently defunct "It's All About Claire" website)? If so, would someone mind hosting them and posting them here? I'd really appreciate it.
"I'm hungry, I want eggs" - Claire Danes' impression of Arnold Schwarzenegger, Late Night with Conan O'Brien (January 22, 2003)

SanDeE*
So-Called Addict

Post by SanDeE* » Jan 10th 2005, 7:56 pm

http://www.mscl.com/forum/viewtopic.php ... highlight=

Here's one picture... I don't know where to find more. Sorry!
Um, in my room, one seam is a little off and I stare at it constantly. It's, like, destroying me.

~~Kristin~~

Chase Cat
Three Rivers Resident

Claire Danes goes shopping

Post by Chase Cat » Jan 11th 2005, 2:28 pm

whitespy12 wrote:Also, does anyone have the early pictures from filming on Shopgirl that Chase Cat posted a while back (I believe they were from the now apparently defunct "It's All About Claire" website)? If so, would someone mind hosting them and posting them here? I'd really appreciate it.
Sadly, Maura's Claire Page is gone. But maybe I can help out. Do you mean those? Apparently the photos were taken while filming.

Pic 1
Pic 2
Pic 3
Pic 4
Pic 5
Pic 6
Pic 7

I put this larger ones up. I will host them for a limited time (say end of January).
Patty to Graham: You always buy the cat nicer food than I do.