EW's 25 Biggest Emmy Snubs

Found a reference to "My So-Called Life" in a book, movie, tv show or somewhere else? Then post here!
Sascha
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

EW's 25 Biggest Emmy Snubs

Post by Sascha » Jul 16th 2009, 5:40 am

It seems like EW.com comes up with a new "best of"-list almost every week, this time it's about the biggest Emmy snubs in history.

Our beloved show ended up on #23:
Okay, so it only lasted one season. And while ''the Academy'' didn't know it then, this critically acclaimed ratings bust has since become one of the most beloved cult-classics to ever hit the tube. It not only captured teen angst in a way few have been able to replicate, but it also showed the softer side of trying to figure out who you are. Although I may never forgive Claire Danes (she admitted to EW in 2004 that she had a hand in the show not returning for a second season) at least they didn't go with their first rumored pick — Alicia Silverstone. Cher pining over brooding Jordan Catalano? Whatever! —Loren Lankford
For those who don't remember, "My So-Called Life" was nominated in 1995 in four Emmy categories, but didn't win any:

Outstanding Individual Achievement in Directing for a Drama Series
Scott Winant (For the pilot episode)
(Winner: "ER" - Mimi Leder, For episode "Love's Labor Lost")

Outstanding Individual Achievement in Writing for a Drama Series
Winnie Holzman (for the pilot episode)
(Winner: "ER" - Lance Gentile for episode "Love's Labor Lost".)

Outstanding Individual Achievement in Main Title Theme Music
W.G. Snuffy Walden (composer)
(Winner: "Star Trek: Voyager" - Jerry Goldsmith)

Outstanding Lead Actress in a Drama Series
Claire Danes
(Winner: Kathy Baker ("Picket Fences"))

4alifetime
Liberty High Student

Re: EW's 25 Biggest Emmy Snubs

Post by 4alifetime » Jul 16th 2009, 12:46 pm

Alicia Silverstone as Angela...AS IF! I've always appreciated the fact that they cast Claire as Angela...even now, knowing that she left the show and that that may have been a big reason it did not return. Every time I read something someone writes like this I get overwhelmed with feeling of "what if?" Anyone else?

I will take our one beloved 1 season over 10 with anyone else but the original cast, moments of great and slightly bad acting and all!
There's so many different ways to be connected to people.
There are the people you feel this unspoken connection to,
even though there's not even a word for it.
There's the people who you've known forever, who know you in
this way that other people can't, because they've seen you
change...

they've let you change.

Greybird
Let's Bolt Regular

Post by Greybird » Aug 3rd 2009, 3:10 pm

From the EW article: "[...] Although I may never forgive Claire Danes (she admitted to EW in 2004 that she had a hand in the show not returning for a second season) [...]"

Nothing to forgive her for. Never was. She (and her parents and agent) may indeed have been utterly frustrated at the constant delays and lack of network confidence, and ended up handing ABC a prime piece of excuse fodder — but they didn't want it dead. They simply didn't want Danes tied with a seven-year performance option to a torpedoed ship.

It was the net's own vision-starved cowardly $#!+heels, such as Ted Harbert (one who did, sort of, apologize), who bear the blame for killing its prospects. No one else. Fifteen-year-olds don't "have a hand" in anything about how a network is run.

Sorry. I've had to keep pointing this out for 14 years now.
Greybird of Starhaven
"MSCL" crazy since March 1995

4alifetime
Liberty High Student

Post by 4alifetime » Aug 3rd 2009, 8:57 pm

Good point, Greybird. I always really thought it was simply low ratings that killed the show after one season. I think Claire not wanting to return just may have made Winnie H. and the producers not fight for it's return as hard at most.

When you look at it from your perspective you really can't blame Claire and her family for wanting out, she was already getting movie deals. I just think the fans were so devestated they needed something or someone to blame. Maybe there could have been a half percent chance they would have tried to continue the show if Claire did not want out, no? Just a half percent??!
There's so many different ways to be connected to people.
There are the people you feel this unspoken connection to,
even though there's not even a word for it.
There's the people who you've known forever, who know you in
this way that other people can't, because they've seen you
change...

they've let you change.