The pre-pay deal

This forum has been closed and archived. No further postings allowed. Read-only access. For more informations read this announcement.
Jason R
"Mr. DVD"

Jason weighing in here.

Post by Jason R » Mar 27th 2002, 9:09 am

The law of large numbers dictates that you cannot please 2,800 people all of the time. I hate to say it, and I sure wish it was true, but it is just impossible.

To reiterate something I wrote somewhere else here:
1) AU realizes they are asking for a lot
2) I, of all people, realize we are asking for a lot

That is why the pre-order version was designed to reward those who made the set possible. There is a considerable discount off retail, and there is a lot of extra time and work going into special packaging. In a way, the pre-orderers are being thanked by giving them a more collectible product. They are being thanked for the leap of faith we realize they are taking.

Everything else in the email by the previous writer has pretty much been disproven already, or addressed by me in other threads, but:

1) The reason we brought AU into this is that they are a reputable company with a history of selling directly to fans.
2) This project would not have happened without the leap of faith by fans or the fact that AnotherUniverse.com was the only one of MANY, MANY companies to show interest in doing the box set. I think it is preceisely because they do already have a fan-intensive business.

In any case, I disagree with the previous poster on many levels. Is the process behind this DVD unusual? For finished product, yes, but if you look at some other DVD box sets (Japanese anime sets, which are often pressed for preorders, based on demand), this is par for the course.

Jason

bellacat
Tino

Post deleted by bellacat

Post by bellacat » Mar 27th 2002, 10:15 am

Jason R
"Mr. DVD"

Re: DVD issues

Post by Jason R » Mar 27th 2002, 10:18 am

That is addressed in the email. They will be sending a snail-mail confirmation of the order. If, in a reasonable time period, it is not received, it would be a red flag to follow up with AU to make sure the address and info is correct.

Jason R
"Mr. DVD"

Re: Has anything about this box set been "the usual"?

Post by Jason R » Mar 27th 2002, 10:34 am

It has been written and is waiting to be cleared by BMG. I am getting *very* tempted to give an independent person a phone number at BMG to see what they say about this set. I don't want to create a rush of calls there because I don't want to annoy them, but I think that maybe I should do this.

Jason

bellacat
Tino

Post deleted by bellacat

Post by bellacat » Mar 27th 2002, 11:03 am

Jason R
"Mr. DVD"

Re: Jason weighing in here.

Post by Jason R » Mar 27th 2002, 11:10 am

I answered this (in another thread, I suppose.) Yes. You will be receiving a written snail-mail confirmation from AnotherUniverse.com. The emails are just the fastest and cheapest (not denying or apologizing for the fact that email is *way* cheaper) way to contact everyone and keep them up to date.

Re: DVD issues

Post by Guest » Mar 27th 2002, 11:24 am

A useful link for many people here

http://www.ed.gov/pubs/parents/Reading/

Joanna
Angela's best friend

Re: DVD buyers beware!

Post by Joanna » Mar 27th 2002, 2:11 pm

Here Here!!! Well said - there how seems to be so much confusion and concern regarding this darn box-set and the costs and everything else that I am thinking about cancelling my pre-order. Things should not be this complicated and the entire thing has not so much been rushed as apparently entirely unplanned. I am starting to feel pushed in to doing this transaction deal before we have all the facts and I am concerned that we are going to be 'had'. I am sorry Jason to be commenting like this as you have put in so much hard work and I realise that these things are out of your hands. I am just starting to feel a bit deflated about it all now and would probably rather not take the chance of paying so much for a boxset that doesn't even exist yet. Such a shame.

"And dance by the light of the moon!"

Joanna
Angela's best friend

Post by Joanna » Mar 27th 2002, 2:17 pm

This is all very well and good for you Americans - but for us fans in the UK and across the world it is not so great. So what are we supposed to do??? Let them charge the full amount to our credit cards and then a week before shipping God only knows what they'll charge for that!?! It could be $30.00 for all we know - how are we supposed to get out of that??? I think it is down right disgusting that no shipping costs have been confirmed and while I realise that the boxset has not been made yet in order to work it out I think at least a genuine estimation wouldn't be too difficult would it now? I also agree with someone elses comment that we should have something in writing about this deal BEFORE we sign our money away - what exactly are we paying for? Who really, really knows?? This is turing in to a bit of a shambles and I am becoming concerned and wearing with the whole thing. The pre-order should NOT have been rushed or pushed as quickly as it was as I for one felt like I had no time to think and now our so-called options have all but been taken away from us. This is simply not fair on the fans! (Sorry Jason)

Joanna
Angela's best friend

Post by Joanna » Mar 27th 2002, 2:22 pm

I totally agree with everything you're saying. I am considering cancelling my pre-order now - I almost feel lied to! I am going to loose $20 within weeks of the pre-order because the company has changed the 'rules' - this is totally unfair and is as good as stealing if they keep people's deposits. This entire experience has put me off ever buying on the net again! As if the deposit wasn't a leap of faith as it was now AU will pocket them as a result. The entire thing is overwhelming now - there are almost too many posts to read here and I am getting very concerned - not to mention very p****d off that I will loose my deposit (which cost ME $21 for some reason!) I sure don't feel like putting my trust in this company anymore so than the money I already have.

Joanna
Angela's best friend

Post by Joanna » Mar 27th 2002, 2:24 pm

Good idea! Think I am going to cancel too! How do I go about getting a my deposit refunded?

Joanna
Angela's best friend

Post by Joanna » Mar 27th 2002, 2:28 pm

Totally totally agree with your comments.

Wow - I have never seen such an argument rage on MSCL - but I think there has been a balls-up (think that is probably just a term we here in the UK use) and I have completely lost faith. I hope I get my money back!

Joanna
Angela's best friend

PHEW!

Post by Joanna » Mar 27th 2002, 2:30 pm

Geese.........It took a long time to read all of those posts! LOL

Jason R
"Mr. DVD"

Post by Jason R » Mar 27th 2002, 2:54 pm

I am sorry to be so short with this response, but I am out the door to give a presentation.

Shipping charges will accurately reflect the cost of shipping to you. I don't know, maybe rush delivery would be available, but USPS is not going to cost $30.

Jason R
"Mr. DVD"

Post by Jason R » Mar 27th 2002, 2:58 pm

If you cancel your order, you get a refund of your deposit. Nothing more to say on this issue. If you cancel your order, you will get a refund. Period.

So in other words, if you are not happy, cancel your order and get your money back. I hope I have said this enough times already. I feel like people selectively read what I wrote. :-(

Jason