in the UK got tracking number

This forum has been closed and archived. No further postings allowed. Read-only access. For more informations read this announcement.
InAnotherUniverse.com
Tino

Post by InAnotherUniverse.com » Nov 27th 2002, 8:48 pm

I agree with CandyGirl - the reason why they did this was prob because they couldn't be bothered to send us all out independant e-mails telling us that our individual DVD's are on their way (too much hassle)...

BTW - has anyone still got the e-mail from AU that stated that their chosen method of shipping wouldn't include any kinda charge on delivery (this was pointed out as people suspected this charge might happen) - I swear I saw that somewhere - again, if I am right wouldn't this be another breech of their contract with us???

jchamier
Tino

Post by jchamier » Nov 29th 2002, 4:07 pm

Doh, my work won't let me redirect them there (same town as I live in), so I've got to drive to Southampton tomorrow morning to collect them. That's the easiest option for me.

Like others, I thought these were going to be shipped normal mail, then I could have collected from the post office (just up the road!!).

/James
Another UKer, started watching back late in 1994. Wow 10 years already... :-)

jchamier
Tino

Post by jchamier » Nov 30th 2002, 12:06 pm

Got 'em!!

Just got to get the shrinkwrap off now ;-)

/James
Another UKer, started watching back late in 1994. Wow 10 years already... :-)

giuditta
Tino

Post by giuditta » Dec 1st 2002, 6:44 pm

I got charged £28 before I could get my DVD's!!! :evil:
has this happened to anyone else??

rhdunn
Tino

Post by rhdunn » Dec 3rd 2002, 5:52 am

InAnotherUniverse.com said:
BTW - has anyone still got the e-mail from AU that stated that their chosen method of shipping wouldn't include any kinda charge on delivery (this was pointed out as people suspected this charge might happen) - I swear I saw that somewhere - again, if I am right wouldn't this be another breech of their contract with us???
I have all the e-mails involved with this project starting from when we had to pre-order with the $20 deposit. I have had a quick scan through them and cannot find where it says there would be no charges. However, in the one dated Tuesday, 22nd October 2002, it says:
The Lunch box and bonus DVD will be shipped free of charge at a later date.
in the first paragraph. Is that what you meant? If not, do you know roughly when it was or where it is located.
-rhd-

blueone
Overlooked Sibling

Post by blueone » Dec 3rd 2002, 6:24 am

The e-mail where they promise free shipping is found in the FAQ on this board.

"All orders will be shipping freight free, no matter where in the world you are."

jellybean
Jody Barsh

Post by jellybean » Dec 3rd 2002, 6:37 am

so can we send AU the bill for whatever costs we incur for receiving these DVDs :?:

Any ideas?

Still no discs :cry:

I've pre-ordered, pre-paid, and almost prepared to cancel

jellybean
Jody Barsh

Post by jellybean » Dec 3rd 2002, 6:45 am

:shock: :D
just checked on the UPS website, my DVDs are real!!! they are in Kentucky at the minute.

At long last 8)

Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Dec 3rd 2002, 2:23 pm

jellybean wrote:so can we send AU the bill for whatever costs we incur for receiving these DVDs :?
There have been a lot of (repeated) questions about additional costs which means apparently not everyone is reading all the previous questions posted at this forum. So let's go over this again.

There are two fees that people are paying: brokerage fees and taxes.

Brokerage fees suck, but I'm not sure there's a way around that now that the discs have already been shipped. True, AU should have notified international customers that the sets were shipping via UPS so they would be aware of the brokerage fees but that said, AU (or any retailer for that matter) has the right to ship your merchadise however the hell they want to. There are plenty of companies that do NOT give you a choice of how your package is shipped. I was charged $15 shipping for some shampoo I bought from Lush. Yup, the international shipping cost as much as the product. Why? Because I live in the US and the San Francisco store hasn't opened yet. AU could have avoided customers paying a brokerage fee if they had shipped using United States Postal Service but then there would be no way for you or them to track your package. The brokerage fee pays for UPS to fill out all the customs paperwork that international shipments require.

Taxes or import charges are charged by YOUR country, not AU or the shipper. It is your responsiblity to pay the tax and import charges because you are the one who purchased the merchandise. It is not the retailer's responsibility to pay these fees.

Believe me, I am in no way taking AU's side ("I'm on your side! It's like, impossible to be on [AU]'s side.) but they are not responsible for paying these fees for you. Even if they were, good luck trying to get any money out of them. If they WERE handing out money, I think the double & triple charges then the cancellation refunds are way ahead of you in line.

Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Dec 3rd 2002, 2:26 pm

Info from the DVD News page here at mscl.com:

Update 11/28/02: I don't live in the US. What additional charges will apply to international customers?
This information is also valid for customers of the other retailers: You have to pay customs and tax. These charges have nothing to do with AU, they apply to all items shipped from one country to another.

In Europe, only items with a value higher than 25 EUR will be taxed. Here's an example how these charges are calculated in Europe:
item value = $99
shipping costs = $50 (even if you don't have to pay the shipping, they will still be added to the calculation!)
==================
total value => $149 =~ EUR 150

Tax: about EUR 24 - EUR 31 (depends on your country, in Germany 16%, in France 20%)
Customs: about EUR 5.7 (depends on your country, in the European Community 3.8% for DVDs)

Customers in Canada and other countries may have to pay other local taxes.

You have to pay these taxes in most cases when your package gets delivered to you by UPS.

But: Not every shipped item gets taxed. You may be lucky and your package goes through customs without any charges. Customs is not an automatic process, it involves humans who check every package - sometimes they miss one.

UK: http://www.hmce.gov.uk/index.htm , especially
http://www.hmce.gov.uk/forms/notices/143.htm and
http://www.hmce.gov.uk/business/importing/faqs.htm

Q I have been charged VAT and duty for goods bought over the Internet, why is this?

A Any goods purchased from outside the EC are liable for duty and in some cases VAT. If you have been sent a gift and the value is under £36 you will not be liable, over that amount you will be charged depending on the product. For purchases bought by yourself with a value over £18.00 you may have to pay duty depending on the product; it may also be liable to VAT. Under that amount you will not be liable

All other EU countries: Try to find something on http://europa.eu.int/comm/taxation_customs/index_en.htm
and http://europa.eu.int/comm/taxation_cust ... slinks.htm