print this page

Fanfiction

The Interactive FanFiction Story

One of the longest-running fanfiction stories on the 'net.

Chapter 9: Playing Roles

jump to chapter | jump to review | jump to next chapter | go back to main story outline

Chapter 9: Playing Roles

written by Meg

added on: 13 Jul 2000 - based on characters created by Winnie Holzman

Katimsky rushes in just as the bell rings. He is visibly flustered and appears to be more scattered than usual- if that is possible.

Katimsky: So class, today we will be performing more of Romeo and Juliet. Uh- when we left off, Juliet was going to be (long pause) married to Paris even though she was (pause again and forehead touch) already married to Romeo. (He pauses to give the class time to reflect) So does anyone understand what Juliet was going through. I mean her life was being torn in two directions. Her heart and mind struggling over whether to obey her father and marry someone she neither knows nor loves. Or to be disowned and live with her "husband" Romeo. (Visibly aggravated at the class' lack of enthusiasm) Does anyone understand how Juliet felt.

Angela VO: Not that I would stand up and admit it to the class, but I knew exactly how Juliet felt. My heart was being torn apart by this situation, this like competition between Jordan Catalano and Brian Krakow. I wished I knew how I really felt about either of them, because in my humble opinion, I've always thought to have two guys fighting over you would be like the greatest thing ever. Only, I never realized that it would be the most painful thing as well.

Katimsky: Oh Geez, guys. Well, Brian and Jeff get up to the front of the class. Paris and Friar Lawrence are talking at the vault that holds Juliet's cousin Tybalt's body. And Angela, uh, wait for your entrance and please don't miss it. Remember, act out the script, I want to see your emotions, don't be afraid to give your all to the parts.

Brian VO: I have never been like so nervous in my life. I have to get up in front of the class and kiss Angela Chase. My first kiss actually, unless of course you count back in third grade when Angela and Sharon practiced kissing with me, which I don't.

Katimsky: Okay. Act IV, Scene 1.

The two boys get into character and begin the scene.

Class mate (Jeff)/Friar: On Thursday, sir? The time is very short.

Brian/Paris: My father Capulet will have it so, and I am nothing slow to slack his haste.

Jeff/Friar: You say you do not know the lady's mind, uneven is the course I like it not.

Brian/Paris: Immoderately she weeps for Tybalt's death, And therefore have I little talk'd of love For Venus smiles not in a house of tears. Now, sir, her father counts it dangerous That she do give her sorrow so much sway, And in his wisdom hastes our marriage To stop the inundation of her tears, Which, too much minded by herself alone, May be put from her by society. Now do you know the reason of this haste.

Jeff/Friar: aside I would I knew not why it should be slow'd- Look, sir, here comes the lady toward my cell.

Angela enters as Juliet looking distressed either really playing the part of Juliet, or showing how she really feels.

Brian/Paris: (audibly nervous) Happily met, my lady and my wife!

Angela/Juliet: That may be, sir, when I may be a wife.

Brian/Paris: That may be must be, love, on Thursday next.

Angela/Juliet: What must be shall be.

Jeff/Friar: That's a certain text.

Brian/Paris: Come you to make confession to this father?

Angela/Juliet: To answer that, I should confess to you.

Brian/Paris: Do not deny to him that you love me.

Angela/Juliet: I will confess to you that I love him.

Brian/Paris: So will ye, I am sure, that you love me. Poor soul, thy face is much abus'd with tears.

Angela/Juliet: It may be so. Are you at leisure, holy father, now, Or shall I come to you at evening mass

Jeff/Friar: My leisure serves me, pensive daughter, now. My lord, we must entreat the time alone.

Brian/Paris: God shield I should disturb devotion! Juliet, on Thursday early will I rouse ye. Till then, adieu, and keep this holy kiss

Brian VO: (nervously) Oh my God.
Brian and Angela start to kiss slowly but then the kiss deepens.

Angela VO: Oh my God! (still kissing)

Brian VO: Oh my God!

The bell rings

jump to chapter beginning | jump to review | go back to main story outline

Next Chapter

expand

Add your own next chapter

Reviews for this chapter

Waiting for 10 votes before displaying rating information.

No reviews so far for this chapter.

expand

Add your review

expand

Report this chapter to the admins


“Do we have to keep talking about religion? It's Christmas.”

Danielle Chase, Episode 15: "So-Called Angels"