Famous Quotes Aboout France

As the forum title implies: This is the forum for "anything else" which doesn't fit into one of the other forums.
Guest

Post by Guest » Mar 30th 2003, 8:14 pm

i can't find it really funny...maybe this is because i'm french... :lol:
but that kind of so-called jokes always hurt me, but in fact most of things french people are saying about americans used to hurt me too, because i do love america so much and every king of so called "racism" or generality about a country is a problem for me.I think the bigest problem is about misunderstood.But.....i'm not here to talk about war (exept if you ask me to...)
i discover this great site since about a week ago and i can't believe how cool it is.I've discovered mscl few years ago in french tv, and i've find someone few days later who can sell me all the 19 episodes, so maybe in a little time i'll come as a newbee and begin to discuss with you....i now this is not the place to say all these things, but when i've seen the word "france", i've just think, hey this is me, i'm french, i'm here!!!

kisses from france (if u accept them :wink: )

Guest

Post by Guest » Mar 30th 2003, 8:28 pm

"You know why the French don't want to bomb Saddam Hussein? Because he hates America, he loves mistresses and wears a beret. He is French, people."---Conan O'Brien

just a little word because i can't just let people say that even if it's a joke:

-french people want to bomb saddam hussein, but only him.When i see people dying i find it really sad, i mean every days we see british and americans soldiers, and irakiens civils who died, and i still thinking it can be avoid .Maybe i'm a little bit too a dreamer...

-dum french people hate america, yeah, right.But most of us are living with your culture and appreciate it (at least a part of it).Why the hell would french hate america?

i'm not wearing a beret, and there is no more people here wearing a beret than in your own country...i know it's a joke :)

in fact i'd like to say so much things about war, and your country and medias, and the way most of american people are seeing things and world...but i'm afraid of your reaction, because i would be sad you won't understand me......
so, let's go to joke....
bye!!sorry for mistakes :)

User avatar
fnordboy
Ed Zwick Wannabe
Posts: 1954
Joined: Sep 25th 2002, 10:29 am
Location: Exit 16E, NJ
Contact:

Post by fnordboy » Mar 31st 2003, 2:06 am

Anonymous wrote: in fact i'd like to say so much things about war, and your country and medias, and the way most of american people are seeing things and world...but i'm afraid of your reaction, because i would be sad you won't understand me......
so, let's go to joke....
I understand you, believe me. I haven't partipated in this thread because I think it is ridiculous how people are reacting to the French and their stance on this "war".

I mean, freedom fries? Jesus... :roll:

This country seems to have a large number of sheep willing to follow blindly anything the talking heads on tv tell them. Which leads to the fact that now if I want to get french toast for breakfast in the cafe at work i have to ask for "liberty toast". At first it was funny, "ha! look at the stupid right wingers" Now it is just sad. I don't think a day goes by where I don't hear a few anti-french remarks. France shouldn't worry though, if things keep going the way they seem to be going, unfortunately, there won't be an america. We will soon have everybody against us, eventually we will run out of money to bribe other nations with to be on our side, and dubya will run us into the ground....oh but wait, there is a good side: tax cuts :roll:

Guest

Post by Guest » Mar 31st 2003, 4:23 am

-->I haven't partipated in this thread because I think it is ridiculous how people are reacting to the French and their stance on this "war".
-->This country seems to have a large number of sheep willing to follow blindly anything the talking heads on tv tell them
-->We will soon have everybody against us,

i'm really glad to ear that, and i hope there are others americans who know that....i mean, everydays here, we've got reports in news about america,and you can't imagine how you are portrayed.Sometimes it sounds so real, and sometimes this is just a little bit exagerated...but some really importants things are said, things you don't, about how your manipulated by fox news (and cnn)., for example, and this is really frightened...and i really think it's serious.You know most of world is against war, not just france.Even british people are against war, and trust me, there are good reasons for that.But i find it sad when everyone is talking about the diplomatics problems between france and america.As i've already said, i love america, but, you should see how bush is potrayed here, the reports to show how much he is a dumb.
but, i need to sleep a little bit more, so see you later, and please put one jokes about americans, maybe i will find them funny :wink:

kisses from france....

User avatar
Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team
Posts: 5374
Joined: Dec 7th 2001, 3:05 am
Location: California

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Mar 31st 2003, 4:44 am

[quote="Anonymous]everydays here, we've got reports in news about america,and you can't imagine how you are portrayed.Sometimes it sounds so real, and sometimes this is just a little bit exagerated...but some really importants things are said, things you don't, about how your manipulated by fox news (and cnn)., for example, and this is really frightened...you should see how bush is potrayed here, the reports to show how much he is a dumb.[/quote]

Well, to be fair, ALL media reports are biased one way or another, whether it's called liberal or conservative. The people who write the copy as well as the people who read it all color the "truth" in order to paint a particular picture. I believe you when you say that Bush is portrayed as an idiot in France, but I take it with a grain of salt - anyone who is in the media spotlight has good moments and bad moments (if you want further proof, check out the candid photos of celebrities in tabloid magazines who go out of their way to show you people in their worst possible light). In college, I had to speak at meetings a minimum of once a week for two years and I KNOW that I said some stupid things. Thankfully, most of those stupid things stayed in the room so only a few hundred people heard what I said :D Besides, as anyone who has watched any kind of reality programming knows, a lot of the picture is painted by editing. In a perfect world, people would not take anything they read or watch in the media at face value but use it as a basis to begin learning about something. Unfortunately, too many people believe anything they see or read - if it's on the internet or in print it MUST be true, right?!

:D
Natasha aka candygirl :: MSCL.com

Look, if this is weird for you, being tutored? I don't mind helping you a little longer.
You could have sex with me if you really want to help...I guess that's a "no"?

andrewgd
Liberty High Graduate
Posts: 676
Joined: Sep 11th 2002, 9:49 pm
Location: Seattle
Contact:

Post by andrewgd » Mar 31st 2003, 4:52 am

A little on Fox News, that I may make its own topic:

http://www.bergenrecord.com/page.php?qs ... k2MzU5NDQy

Scroll about halfway down:

"The news ticker rimming Fox's headquarters on Sixth Avenue wasn't carrying war updates as the protest began. Instead, it poked fun at the demonstrators, chiding them. 'War protester auditions here today ... thanks for coming!' read one message. 'Who won your right to show up here today?' another questioned. 'Protesters or soldiers?' Said a third: 'How do you keep a war protester in suspense? Ignore them....' Still another read: 'Attention protesters: the Michael Moore Fan Club meets Thursday at a phone booth at Sixth Avenue and 50th Street.'" Fox claims the network "didn't mean to insult anyone."

How DARE they! I understand that we have free speech. But this is a NEWS show that claims it is UNBIASED. Any sensible person will realise that Bill OReily is a just as sensationalistic as the things he rails against, but I fear that most of American isn't very sensible. 52% of Americans believe Saddam had a hand in 9/11 (which, evidence is being uncovered that shows that the Bush family had more to do with it than Saddam.)

Of course, FOX News has won the right in court to lie and mislead. http://www.onlinejournal.com/Media/0313 ... rolli.html

This stuff gets me so riled up. I hate that most people seem to be sheep, and its leading this country to hell.

(Position: Support the Troops, Saddam is Bad, this war will bring MORE terrorism than people imagine.)
"Your imagination, like a child, will explode with unrestrained possibilities for adventure."

Guest

Post by Guest » Mar 31st 2003, 11:34 am

-->Well, to be fair, ALL media reports are biased one way or another

yes of course, sadly

-->52% of Americans believe Saddam had a hand in 9/11

yeah, the same thing is said here in france.Last evening in the news the show us horrible things, peolpe dying, some "accidents" with bombs that killed a lot of civils and childs, every days, and the journalist said that in usa fox news hadn't said anything about that.How can we make our own opinion when we don't have all the informations? here there are some people whose are pro-war, and we can listen to them, they are having the possibility to say why...i think it's important.It's not a game, everything here is about human lives, even if you are pro or against war.
sorry for mistakes, i hope you understand what i mean..
bye!

User avatar
fnordboy
Ed Zwick Wannabe
Posts: 1954
Joined: Sep 25th 2002, 10:29 am
Location: Exit 16E, NJ
Contact:

Post by fnordboy » Mar 31st 2003, 1:13 pm

andrewgd wrote:A little on Fox News, that I may make its own topic:

http://www.bergenrecord.com/page.php?qs ... k2MzU5NDQy

Scroll about halfway down:

"The news ticker rimming Fox's headquarters on Sixth Avenue wasn't carrying war updates as the protest began. Instead, it poked fun at the demonstrators, chiding them. 'War protester auditions here today ... thanks for coming!' read one message. 'Who won your right to show up here today?' another questioned. 'Protesters or soldiers?' Said a third: 'How do you keep a war protester in suspense? Ignore them....' Still another read: 'Attention protesters: the Michael Moore Fan Club meets Thursday at a phone booth at Sixth Avenue and 50th Street.'" Fox claims the network "didn't mean to insult anyone."

How DARE they! I understand that we have free speech. But this is a NEWS show that claims it is UNBIASED. Any sensible person will realise that Bill OReily is a just as sensationalistic as the things he rails against, but I fear that most of American isn't very sensible. 52% of Americans believe Saddam had a hand in 9/11 (which, evidence is being uncovered that shows that the Bush family had more to do with it than Saddam.)

Of course, FOX News has won the right in court to lie and mislead. http://www.onlinejournal.com/Media/0313 ... rolli.html

This stuff gets me so riled up. I hate that most people seem to be sheep, and its leading this country to hell.

(Position: Support the Troops, Saddam is Bad, this war will bring MORE terrorism than people imagine.)
w00t local paper! That's the paper i read when I get a chance, they are pretty fair in their reporting for the most part...anyways..

52% of americans believe saddam had somehting to do with 9/11? Sad.
The way I always looked at it, and this will now of course label me as a kook, Oliver Stone once said about 9/11: "Look who gained the most from it" and the only person I see that gained a good goddamn thing from it is Bush (well and Ghouliani.

Bunch of friggin lemmings. :evil:

Guest

Post by Guest » Mar 31st 2003, 2:21 pm

-->Oliver Stone once said about 9/11: "Look who gained the most from it" and the only person I see that gained a good goddamn thing from it is Bush


exactly...and u know bush isn't good for america, i mean for the image of america

i'm watching news just right now, i see people who said that they want to fight american soldiers because they hate them,
someone else said that for us soldiers this is just "a video game";
irakians said "more an occupation than a liberation";
the guest in news is someone pro war;

someone said most of us channel hadn't show all the manifestations on the entire world against war...most of people want saddam to go out, but most of people all around the world are against war.Are they right? i don't know, but i think each american could know that.

what can i saiy more? nothing, simply because i haven't got enought vocabulary to express myself ....sorry!!
bye!

User avatar
Megs
Lifehead
Posts: 1185
Joined: Jun 30th 2002, 11:35 am
Location: NOVA
Contact:

Post by Megs » Mar 31st 2003, 2:27 pm

Any sensible person will realise that Bill OReily is a just as sensationalistic as the things he rails against, but I fear that most of American isn't very sensible. 52% of Americans believe Saddam had a hand in 9/11 (which, evidence is being uncovered that shows that the Bush family had more to do with it than Saddam.)
What? Can you post some of this evidence?
"I have all these dreams where I know exactly what to say. And you tell me, you know, that you forgive me."

User avatar
TomSpeed
Marshall Wannabe
Posts: 1226
Joined: Jan 13th 2003, 3:37 pm
Location: Tampa, FL, USA
Contact:

Post by TomSpeed » Mar 31st 2003, 2:33 pm

I don't think Fox News touts its objectivity too heavily. It promotes itself as an unabashedly conservative news outlet. All news media are biased to some degree. People write and deliver the news. I remember how Walter Cronkite used to close his CBS News broadcasts -- "That's the way it is." No, no. That's the way CBS News says it is. Of course, I have a lot more respect for Walter Cronkite than any newscaster on the air now, including Dan Rather. I'm sure that most of the people who watch Fox News had no problems with what the crawlers read.

So, about those jokes about France...I love the French people. I am thankful for the assistance they gave us during the American Revolution. And I've always considered them friends of America. We might not always get along, but friends don't always get along. I thought the jokes were funny. My only intention was to share a chuckle. Like someone wrote in this thread, humor helps keep us sane.
TomSpeed

Patty: If Rayanne's not seeing you, and we're not seeing you, who is seeing you?
Graham: And how much of you?
Angela: Dad!
Graham: Oh, I'm sorry! I asked a question about your life, didn't I? Woah, what came over me?
http://www.last.fm/user/TomSpeed/

User avatar
fnordboy
Ed Zwick Wannabe
Posts: 1954
Joined: Sep 25th 2002, 10:29 am
Location: Exit 16E, NJ
Contact:

Post by fnordboy » Mar 31st 2003, 3:35 pm

Megs wrote:
Any sensible person will realise that Bill OReily is a just as sensationalistic as the things he rails against, but I fear that most of American isn't very sensible. 52% of Americans believe Saddam had a hand in 9/11 (which, evidence is being uncovered that shows that the Bush family had more to do with it than Saddam.)
What? Can you post some of this evidence?
I don't know what evidence he is referring to exactly in his post, but I will add a few things in here.

During the no-fly right after 9/11 there was one jet in the air. It wa a gov't issued jet that was going around picking up bin Laden's family members who were in America at the time. (I cant post any links until I can get home and find them on that PC).

Daddy Bush, whenever in the Middle East stayed at places owned by the bin Laden family.

The truth is out there ... right? At first, it all seemed so obvious. It was those Islamic terrorists. Osama bin Laden. Mullah Omar. George W. Bush had nothing to do with it ... did he?

"The right wing benefited so much from September 11 that, if I were still a conspiratorialist, I would believe they'd done it." Norman Mailer

( http://www.prouty.org/sun.html )

Before 9/11 occurred there were reports on the BBC and in the Indian news that there was a coalition of forces who were going to attack Afghanistan in mid-October to gain control of an oil pipeline in the region. Coincidence? I don't know, but it all went perfectly scheduled. Which leads perfectly to:
Oil company adviser named US representative to Afghanistan
http://www.prouty.org/unocal.html

For all the conservatives that claim that Clinton did nothing about terrorism, etc. :

"Bush held up plan to hit Bin Laden"
http://www.guardian.co.uk/afghanistan/s ... 98,00.html

Of course take everything above with a grain of salt (as you would/should for any news articles). Everything is biased, there is no way to get the truth.

But if something leaves that many questions you know there was something else going on.

andrewgd
Liberty High Graduate
Posts: 676
Joined: Sep 11th 2002, 9:49 pm
Location: Seattle
Contact:

Post by andrewgd » Mar 31st 2003, 3:59 pm

TomSpeed wrote:I don't think Fox News touts its objectivity too heavily.
"We Report. You Decide."

"Bill O'Reilly host of of the 'No Spin Zone'."[/img]
"Your imagination, like a child, will explode with unrestrained possibilities for adventure."

andrewgd
Liberty High Graduate
Posts: 676
Joined: Sep 11th 2002, 9:49 pm
Location: Seattle
Contact:

Post by andrewgd » Mar 31st 2003, 4:12 pm

Megs wrote:What? Can you post some of this evidence?
"The Bush-bin Laden tie, if only circumstantial, begins with a business relationship between the former president and Mohammed bin Laden, the Yemeni-born father of Osama who was a Saudi construction magnate. He died and left his future terrorist son about $300 million that has been used to finance global violence. The young bin Laden was among the freedom fighters propped up by the CIA as they battled the Soviets in Afghanistan when the elder Bush headed that agency. And bin Laden's Al Qaeda campaign began after Bush put U.S. troops in Saudi Arabia during the Gulf War. A decade later, bin Laden's Twin Tower attacks made the battle against terrorism the prime focus of George W.'s presidency.

"The senior Bush kept his ties with the bin Laden family up until two months after Sept. 11. The bin Ladens invested heavily in the Carlyle Group, which has its hands in a number of pies and is the 11th largest defense contractor even though it mostly buys failing defense companies and sells them for profits."

(Perhaps our war talk should be moderated to a "War and Media" thread. I feel bad for having highjacked the French joke thread.)
"Your imagination, like a child, will explode with unrestrained possibilities for adventure."

Guest

Post by Guest » Mar 31st 2003, 7:32 pm

-->I love the French people. (...). And I've always considered them friends of America. (...) I thought the jokes were funny.

of course we're friends, and i hope we'll stil even if we're divided about important things.That's why i said if find sad the diplomatic problems between our too governments.We can disagred on serious things and still courteous.All these things around war doesn't question my love for americans... :D
these jokes were probably funny, but i suppose i don't have the vocabulary and the cultural background,i can not understand all the allusions.This is why, even if i understand most of things you say, i can't always answer.
bye!

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests