I'm flaming mad...

Discuss former or new projects of Claire Danes ("Angela Chase") in this forum.

I'm flaming mad...

Post by Guest » Sep 1st 1999, 11:09 pm

actually i'm not mad, i'm pissed! i'm never ever going to http://www.clairedanes.com again! i'll tell you why. somebody posted today about boycotting claire's new movie because of the comments she made regarding manila. it included dozens of qoutes from other respectable people in the entertainment industry (like "I hope she chokes on (her words)" - Oprah). when i read it, i saw claire in an entirely new light. i've been hearing about this manila thing for a year too, and i was also getting sick of it, but this time i actually listened. when you read a post including qoutes from at least 50 people testifying that claire isn't as good as she seems, you start to wonder. when i went back a couple hours later, the post was gone. lawrence (the webmaster) deleted it.

i was shocked and angry. i've always thought he had the right to delete posts before, but he'd never deleted the truth. he'd only deleted things that were rumors or just to start fights. but this was the truth and i felt fans had the right to decide for themselves as to what they were going to think of claire. so i posted. i told lawrence that i disagreed with him removing the original post. it was the truth and even if he didn't want to hear it, he shouldn't censor it because it kept other people from knowing the truth. i got pretty angry because i've been visiting that site almost exclusively for Claire Danes info for FOUR years. so exactly how much of that info has been cropped and edited over those FOUR years? how many bad things has claire done that i haven't heard about simply because he felt he should edit it out? i'm very pissed. it's quite possible that for FOUR years, i've been seeing claire as a sweet person when she could be a raving lunatic because he decided that i wasn't fit to see her lunacy. (disgression: i'm not saying claire is a lunatic, it's just an example of what censorship can do).

and you know what? him defending her actions by censoring makes him just as bad. i'm never visiting http://www.clairedanes.com again and i hope you might think twice before you do too. you never know what misguided information you're receiving.

Re: I'm flaming mad...PS

Post by Guest » Sep 1st 1999, 11:10 pm

I forgot to add that he deleted my response as well. Obviously i'm not allowed to have an opinion either

BeeJay
Let's Bolt Regular

Re: I'm flaming mad...

Post by BeeJay » Sep 2nd 1999, 12:56 am

your statment concerns itself with two thoughts: one)"the truth about claire danes", and two) censorship by the webmaster at http://www.clairedanes.com.

It just so happens that I too, was a victim of the webmaster's censorship, and as fate would have it, it happened to me just today! OK, so much for number two.

As far as claire is concerned, her own words on the subject were: "Oh no, I'm nothing like Angela...we're two totally different people"! It must be remembered that claire played the role of Angela Chase, a fifteen year old teenage girl, when she was fifteen. It's now five years later, and claire is now 20. Over these last few years, she has changed. She isn't the same sweet girl she was 5 years ago!

Post by Guest » Sep 2nd 1999, 3:56 pm

beejay,

this is soma, and i was the one who posted that originally. so what did you post that got censored? i posted that on every claire danes site i could find with a message board. if he's not going to let me speak my mind there, then i'll speak it to anyone who will listen.

actually i wasn't so concerned so much with "who" claire danes is, as i was with his censorship. i really don't care if claire is sweet or a lunatic, that wasn't really my point. you also mentioned that you thought claire was sweet five years ago when she played Angela (which may be true), but i think i common mistake people make is thinking claire was anything like angela. from the numerous interviews i've read, it's become very clear claire was never angela or like her in any way. claire (then) was a girl who thought she knew everything about who she was and who she wanted to be. angela was just another girl looking to find herself. that's two completely opposite people.

i'm sorry if this comes off at all angry, and please understand it's not directed at you. i have nothing but respect for you. i'm just still very mad at lawrence and the whole thing. i would normally consider this pathetic web rantings and ignore it, but whenever i think of the four years i devoted to respecting his site and realizing now i was so blind, it just really makes me mad. and being someone who is very devout to sticking up for people's rights (hell, my website is on http://www.freespeech.org!!), this is not something i'm taking lightly. i understand he has the right to moderate his board, but i should also have the right to tell the truth. and that's all i'm trying to do.

mia
Yearbook Team

Post by mia » Sep 2nd 1999, 4:57 pm

He's done it again guys. His reason being that everyone's sick of hearing about Manilla. I wrote him a lovely little letter on the subject, and posted a copy on the clairedanes.com message board.

Mia

Re: thanks you guys

Post by Guest » Sep 2nd 1999, 6:16 pm

i just wanted to say thanks. after i posted that, i was afraid no one would see my point. but you guys did (and probably part of it was seeing yourselves get the same treatment) and you acted on it. you guys are great, thank you so much.
-soma

adam
Three Rivers Resident

Post by adam » Sep 2nd 1999, 8:20 pm

if you don't mind will you tell me what the whole manilla thing is again it's a little fuzzy thanks.

BeeJay
Let's Bolt Regular

Post by BeeJay » Sep 2nd 1999, 8:48 pm

Oh boy, here we go again! Basically it boils down to this, and remember, this all happened about a year or so ago:

After the shooting was completed on "Brokedown Palace", Claire said in an interview that she was glad the shooting was over because the place "smelled like cockroaches", that the area of Manila she was in had no proper sanitation facilities, and the people she saw were without arms or legs, or something to that effect. These were some observations from a wide-eyed kid, who probably had never been to the Far East and everything she saw was a shock to her, a "cultural shock". Now, I may have missed some of the "feeling" of the original statement, but the bottom line of the whole affair was that some Filipinos got offended by these remarks because they felt she was dishonoring their home land, or whatever. And, I guess, the Philippine government made matters worse by declaring (or should I say deCLAIRE-ING)that she was no longer welcomed in the Philippines.

So, there was this big discussion going on about the interview and what it meant, etc. Later, Claire apologized saying that she didn't mean to offend anyone, she was just venting some frustration she felt over the direction the filming had taken and was sorry for the words she used.

But, some people just wouldn't let it go. There were posts on the site tearing her down every which way, name calling, gutter talk, etc, etc, etc...

So anyhow, most people just got tired of it and most just ignored the posts that dealt with that topic so that the thread would go no where and so, just die. But there were some who wouldn't let it die. They kept on posting these hate messages and, as is only natural for a fan(atic) occasionally someone would stand up to these neandethals and comment back and then it would start all over again. Ad nauseum.

BeeJay
Let's Bolt Regular

Post by BeeJay » Sep 2nd 1999, 9:18 pm

I have to admit it, I posted something that had to do with the "Manila Affair". Basically, it was a pretty bland post; no curse words or bad language. Mostly just a rebuttal to the offended one's comments. I just said that Claire's words were just observations of the conditions she had to work in, and weren't meant to be a put-down to the whole country or to individuals living there or from there living elsewhere.

So, I really don't blame the webmaster that much for censorship in this particular instance: I was surprised and annoyed that he did it, but in retrospect, I kinda thought that maybe it was a good thing he deleted it because maybe my post would have started the whole thing all over again.

But the idea of censorship bothers me both then and now. The really funny thing about this is that when he deleted the message I left, I had just read my own message, then someone elses, and I was on my way back to my message to read it again before answering when I got this flash on the screen saying that the message I was trying to access didn't exist! Didn't exist? What do you mean?

So OK, maybe I shouldn't have responded to the original post, but I just HAD to, if you know what I mean.

Then later that day I come to this site, which is on my regular daily visits, and I find your post talking about censorship and all of a sudden it clicked. WOW I thought, it's not just me! And you made some really good points; you sort of put into words what I had been feeling, only vaguely aware of my thoughts.

Also, I understand your anger at being cut-off like that. And no, thank you, I do not take it personally. But you know, something just came to mind as I'm writing this. It was something Angela said in the episode "The Zit". she said, "the worst feeling is realizing you don't measure up, and that in the past, when you thought you did, you were a fool".

I have the feeling that after four years of visiting that site and then suddenly realizing that what you were seeing is what you were allowed to see, you must have felt betrayed; your trust was broken and you realized that what you had been reading was perhaps only part of it. It wasn't the whole story.

My history with the site is very short. I've only been around for the last 5 or so months, so I don't have nearly the attachment to the site as you must have. I've rambled on long enough.

BTW I appreciate your signing the last post. anonymous is a hard word to speak to.

Bill

BeeJay
Let's Bolt Regular

Post by BeeJay » Sep 2nd 1999, 9:21 pm

BTW I copied your post here (the first one) and went to clairedanes.com and posted your comments from here on there. That message got deleted too, but not before Mia saw it. So, I posted it again, under the name "anonymous" and that too got deleted.

soma
Liberty High Student

Post by soma » Sep 3rd 1999, 12:49 am

Ah, now I have a login. much better. :)

There's teeny bit more info. After Claire said those things, the http://www.clairedanes.com message board was literally slammed with hate messages from people in the Phillipines. they were so mad, and rightfully so. the Phillipines have also banned all Claire Danes films, and considered declareing her "Persona non grata" meaning she's not allowed in the country. (did beejay already say that? i can't remember...)

it finally calmed down after a couple months, but it's still trickled on until present day. regulars to the board where getting sick of it, but why i took lawrence until now to start taking action is beyond me. what really got me though, was the post that started all this censorship mess was really original. like i said before, it had about 50 testimonies from respected actors, actresses, and directors testifying to claire's rudeness. i'd never seen anything like it, not for any actor. so i was shocked when he deleted it, and angered further when he deleted my opinion that the original shouldn't have been deleted.

soma
Liberty High Student

Post by soma » Sep 3rd 1999, 12:51 am

thanks. :) you hit the nail on the head. (we seem to say that alot to each other, hehe).

what you said about "The Zit" amazed me, cause actually while I was posting everything, I kept thinking about "The Substitute" and Angela sticking up for freedom of speech. that's kinda neat.

oldguy
Substitute Teacher

Post by oldguy » Sep 3rd 1999, 5:45 pm

Frankly, I think the whole flap about Claire criticizing Manila is, let's say "way blown out of proportion".
It isn't the first time somebody has made a negative remark about a place or people and it won't be
the last. And while I'm sure she regrets saying it, I'm also sure there's some degree of truth in the
remarks. People are far too sensitive about these things (especially actors like Oprah!).

As for deleting messages on the web site, I'm sympathetic to the need to clear out all the hate-mail.
Personally, I wouldn't have done it without at least an announcement and an explanation, but these
discussion groups can get ridiculous if there are endless diatribes filling up the space.

-- oldguy