Claire and Jared Embarrassed?

General discussion about the nineteen episodes of "My So-Called Life". Note: Our episode guide can be found here.
hollis
Tino

Claire and Jared Embarrassed?

Post by hollis » Jun 22nd 2002, 1:38 am

Hey Everyone,
I just recently started coming to this board, and I've read a few passing comments about both Jared Leto and Claire Danes being embarrassed about their work on MSCL. This came a huge surprise to me, since I'm a "lifer" and I've never heard anything about this. Anyway, just found it interesting and I'm wondering if any of you have specific details about this. (Couldn't find anything on the 'net!). Thanks guys!
"We did...We had a time." -Angela

Re: Claire and Jared Embarrassed??

Post by Guest » Jun 23rd 2002, 10:43 pm

I'm not going to beat around the bush: What you just said is complete and utter bollocks. Claire has, on more than one occasion, spoken about how great the MSCL series and experience was. Where on earth did you find your (wildly inaccurate) sources?!

oldguy
Substitute Teacher

Post by oldguy » Jun 24th 2002, 8:14 am

It's possible that more recently, Claire may be speaking more positively upon her MSCL experience. But it was also widely known just after the show was cancelled that she made disparaging comments about MSCL, that she was glad it was cancelled, etc. With TV and movie stars, you never know at any time when they are speaking the truth, as so much of what they say may just be to leverage a higher contract or strike a certain image. My guess is that, since Claire has not had much acclaim since MSCL, she probably looks back upon it wishing it had lasted longer.

Jason R
"Mr. DVD"

Post by Jason R » Jun 24th 2002, 8:29 am

I was once in a (crappy) rock band. As long as I was in it, I hated it. When I quit, I had an acrimonious relationship with my former bandmates.

Now, 5 or 6 years later, I look back at some of it and realize it was actually kind of fun. I even invited one of the guys to my wedding.

socalledfan
Angela's best friend

Post by socalledfan » Jun 24th 2002, 2:52 pm

I certainly hope they're not embarassed!!! Nothing to be ashamed of there, not by a longshot. ;-) Brilliance!

"You're so beautiful, it hurts to look at you."

hollis
Tino

Post by hollis » Jun 24th 2002, 3:54 pm

Hey Anonymous,
What's with the hostility? I said that I had READ PASSING COMMENTS about it ON THIS BOARD. You need to simmer down a bit.

Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Jun 24th 2002, 7:12 pm

I do recall Claire making some negative remarks shortly after MSCL was cancelled, but remember that she was a teenager who had just immersed herself in one project for over year. I'm sure that as rewarding as it was, it was also exhausting and draining. In addition, imagine being a fifteen year old actress - you want to do more, more, more!

Jared's remarks since the show ended have been more along the lines that he doesn't want to be remembered solely as Jordan Catalano for the rest of his life, which is understandable (but unrealistic!).

=)

nkatsa
Three Rivers Resident

Post by nkatsa » Sep 10th 2002, 3:34 pm

i read an interview where jared said that he didn't like the stuff he did on MSCL not because of the show itself, but in terms of his acting: "It was a great show, but no thanks to me."

Sounds like he's being very humble. ;) but one of jordan's defining characteristics was his mellowness, understatedness and subtlety, so I never saw it as a poor reflection of jared's acting ability. And plus, he has since proven that he has a great amount of talent and ability ("requiem for a dream" was one of the most powerful movies i have ever seen).
I bet you can actually die of embarrassment. I bet it's been medically proven.

The Matrix DVD
Tino

Post by The Matrix DVD » Sep 17th 2002, 6:31 pm

I never heard any of the actors from MSCL sayign anythign bad about it. But I really don't follow any of their current lives/careers anyway so I just can't say.

But what I can say is WOW! I have two different opinions about that.

On the one side I think the show is great! REALLY! Of course it's great and fun to watch! I LOVE IT! SO of course the actors must be totally happy and loving it too!

But on the other side I can see how very easily the actors might have been miserable or even hated making the show. There are just soo many things that can go into making an actor unhappy. Maybe Claire was making more then all the other actors and so they didn't like her? Maybe some of the actors were unhappy about not getting enough screen time? Alot of the actors were REALLY YOUNG! So think back to when you were 15 and think to how you are now. I bet you were ALOT different when you were 15. SO maybe things they liked back then they don't like now. Maybe conditions on the set were poor??? WHO KNOWS? But those are just a few of the reasons why the actors might have not all been totally happy making the show.

humanbtbox
Tino

Post by humanbtbox » Sep 23rd 2002, 11:50 am

I imagine it would be like any one of us would look back on high school. You think back and everything was so awkward, it's hard to conjure up good memories of a place like that. But hindsight is 20/20 and it turns out that it's really not as bad as you thought. I've heard an interview with Claire where she talks about the show being her form of high school. She was only what like 14 and 15 when they did the show? The show was incredible and as she grows I'm sure she can see it for what it really is, not just another gig betweeen movies.
In dreams begin responsibilities.

jared leto negative comments

Post by Guest » Oct 7th 2002, 2:18 am

well, 30 seconds to mars came to play in my town recently. and jared leto had a hissy fit when an interviewer in a local paper asked about mscl.

you can read the article yourself:

http://64.4.14.250/cgi-bin/linkrd?_lang ... en1%2ehtml

lizardcub
Three Rivers Resident

Re: jared leto negative comments

Post by lizardcub » Oct 13th 2002, 2:55 pm

This seems to be a link from your Hotmail account, so it won't work for us. If you could send another link, I'd appreciate it. I'd love to read this.

link

Post by Guest » Oct 16th 2002, 3:24 pm

lizardcub
Three Rivers Resident

Post by lizardcub » Oct 17th 2002, 2:24 am

http://www.vancourier.com/095202/entert ... 02en1.html

Whoa! That is CRAZY! Guys, read this. Jared Leto is insane!

Nostradamus
Marshall Wannabe

Post by Nostradamus » Oct 17th 2002, 4:06 am

Maybe Jared was having a really bad day when he did that interview; at least that would fit in with the moody rock star image :wink: . I could understand his wanting to move on, but that kind of explosion was PR suicide! I wonder if he meant what he said about not doing any more press contacts... :shock:
I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure.
-- Clarence Darrow

I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it.
-- Mark Twain