MSCL Cast Reuniting for ATX convention!

General discussion about the nineteen episodes of "My So-Called Life". Note: Our episode guide can be found here.
MSCL Fan
Nicky Driscoll

MSCL Cast Reuniting for ATX convention!

Post by MSCL Fan » May 17th 2013, 1:53 am

Haven't seen this posted anywhere on the site so thought I'd share.

Anyone living in Austin? Check out some of the cast this June! Complete with a screening and special guests (including Winnie & some cast). This sounds incredible. I hope someone from the site is able to go and report on it.
I'm excited just thinking about seeing pictures (and maybe even video!!) ... :D ... but sad I can't make it :(

Some more info:
http://www.tvfanatic.com/2013/04/my-so- ... -festival/

Bacchante
Let's Bolt Regular

Re: MSCL Cast Reuniting for ATX convention!

Post by Bacchante » May 21st 2013, 12:38 am

I actually live in Austin! Thank you for the link!!! I'll try to make it! :) And if I do, I'll report what I saw :)
"I know you think, how could someone like me understand. Only, I do."

MSCL Fan
Nicky Driscoll

Post by MSCL Fan » May 21st 2013, 5:03 pm

That would be great!! :)

richard
Liberty High Student

Post by richard » May 24th 2013, 6:21 pm

I've just booked to go - very exciting!

MSCL Fan
Nicky Driscoll

Post by MSCL Fan » May 28th 2013, 12:42 am

Awesome Richard! Be sure to take some pictures and video if you're able to!
Have fun! :)

Bacchante
Let's Bolt Regular

Post by Bacchante » Jun 8th 2013, 12:28 am

I never went ($75 was a bit much as I was only going to go to a single panel, plus I had a meeting at that time), but at least I can contibue a link :P
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/06/0 ... 05818.html

richard
Liberty High Student

Post by richard » Jun 16th 2013, 6:36 pm

Hello

So I went to ATX and it was great fun, well worth the flight.

The festival audience is a good mix between fans and industry, with most of the panelists appearing in the audiences for other events.

The MSCL screening was great (they showed the pilot), it was very interesting to see the show on a big screen with around 400 people in a great cinema (the alamo drafthouse ritz, the serve great food to your seat which I've never seen in the UK), seeing it with all those people made me realize how funny the show is - something you don't always notice about a show when watching on your own.

After the show they held a panel with the cast - Wilson Cruz, Beth Armstrong, Devon Gummersall, Devon Odessa - along with WF Snuffy Walden and Winnie Holzmann, it was nice to see how much they all cared about the show, and I got the feeling they would have liked to carry on with it.

Devon G talked about how Jared Leto used to take him out to find woman (as a young nerd with crazy hair he found it slightly hard on his own), at one point when DG was following Leto in his car, Leto suddenly screeched to a halt alongside two cute girls, who 30 seconds later walked up to Devon, knocked on his window and said 'that guy said we should give you our phone numbers'. Devon wasn't sure how Leto did it, but was eternally grateful.

Bess Armstrong also told us how she and Tom Irwin are still very good friends and will often go for lunch together. Sometimes they will notice Lifers see them together in a restaurant and get very confused about what they are seeing!

Sadly the MSCL panel was one of the shorter of the festival (only around 20 minutes), I'm not sure why, especially when at the Party of Five panel Wilson Cruz questioned why that panel had run for so much longer. But it was interesting all the same.

Alongside the MSCL showing there was a very good selection of other stuff to see, some MSCL related, some not. In no particular order I enjoyed:

- Seeing the unaired pilot from the 90's of Heat Vision and Jack - an early work from Dan Harmon and Rob Schrab, directed by Ben Stiller and starring Jack Black. It included an interesting 'making of' documentary and a very amusing panel with Dan and Rob, which included them ripping a lazy audience member to shreds and Dan being very proud of the fact he is going back to community. The show itself was very good, but probably a bit ahead of it's time. Sadly it's almost impossible to see now due to the music it contains never having been cleared.

- The Party of Five reunion was great, although the show itself wasn't always the best it was good to see some of the cast back together, and Wilson Cruz was pretty funny (he rather took over the panel at times) - when Lacey Chabert and Scott Woolf expressed sadness at their show closing after six seasons he told them he had no sympathy and they should try being on a show that lasts for less than one! I had never realised that both shows actually started at almost exactly the same time, to me PoF seems a lot more dated now than MSCL..

- There was an interesting panel discussion about music for shows, including WG Snuffy Walden and the music supervisor for One Tree Hill (I think), it was interesting to hear of the competing financial, creative and commercial needs that go into the choosing of the music. When asked which show was his favourite, Walden said he couldn't say - that he could probably think of around seven, but volunteered that MSCL holds a particuarly special place in his heart.

- The Veronica Mars panel was interesting, more to hear Rob Thomas explaining about how the movie is coming about. It also reminded me that we forget how MSCL in a way has done this already with the DVD campaign of a few years back.

- In casting de-constructed Devon Odessa talked about her new career as an acting coach, but also alluded to how difficult it was post MSCL since all the casting directors would tell her how much they loved her performance as Sharon, but then still wouldn't give her a part. She told of how she would often get asked for her autograph while being upset about not having any work, a strange predicament

- In the above panel Nick Wechsler (Jack Porter in Revenge) told how difficult life was after Roswell, for almost ten years he was only getting around one guest spot a year, was running out of money and about to quit the industry when suddenly he got the Revenge job - he was quite funny, although pretty down about the whole acting thing and suggested people don't consider it as it's pretty depressing!

- At the same panel again, Liz Teagler (of Life Unexpected) told how she had been Winnie Holzman's assistant on MSCL (which I never knew), while chatting with WH at the show Liz found out that WH had totally based Angela on herself. Liz also told how she had based both Lux and Cate on herself. It was nice to see quite how much she loved that show and how much effort she had put into it. She was also on the music panel and explained how she had found much of the music by chance and through friends - especially since they had zero budget for it.

There was also an interesting acting panel, which included a couple of Friday Night Lights people, Devon Gummersall, Nick Wechsler, Joshua Malina (of many Aaron Sorkin shows) and a few others I hadn't heard of. Devon told how he has had no long running show under his belt and finds it strange to guest on shows that the cast have been on for years. He has however just completed directing his own film and has asked that everyone pay to download it so he can pay for his mortage!

Above all with the show it was nice to see how often MSCL was mentioned in various panels, and how much affection is felt for it. It's clear that it still has a strong following, and a great deal of respect from the industry and the public at large.

If you have the chance I would strongly recommend visiting the festival (they've just released tickets for next year), it was a great mix of people and it felt like everyone was there because they loved the shows - including the 'talent', my only concern is that they won't be able to maintain the thing at its current small size and it will just become another massive anonomous thing, but we can hope!

I hope that's of interest to people!

Richard

richard
Liberty High Student

Post by richard » Jun 16th 2013, 6:37 pm

Oh, and to add, they were filming all the panels so hopefully they will be released soon. I believe the MSCL cast were also interviewed by the cwaustin but I have been unable to find the footage on their site

Bacchante
Let's Bolt Regular

Post by Bacchante » Jun 17th 2013, 1:17 am

Thanks so much, Richard! Reading all this makes me happy :)

Brunkster
Liberty High Student

Post by Brunkster » Jun 17th 2013, 11:40 am

Fabulous recap, Richard. Thanks for posting!

MSCL Fan
Nicky Driscoll

Post by MSCL Fan » Jun 20th 2013, 11:43 pm

That was awesome Richard! Greatly appreciated!

richard
Liberty High Student

Post by richard » Jul 9th 2013, 7:48 am

Haven't had a chance to watch this yet, but it includes some discussions with Winnie Holzman so could be worth a look - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LQ9EHUtl ... e=youtu.be

caveman
Frozen Embryo

Post by caveman » Jul 16th 2013, 10:53 am

Brilliant post Richard, thanks for taking the time to write so much

richard
Liberty High Student

Post by richard » Jul 23rd 2013, 12:15 pm

ATX have just uploaded videos of a lot of their panels, many of which include MSCL alumi, from memory they are in:
Creating Sound of show (WG Snuffy Walden)
Mythology (Winnie Holzman)
Casting deconstructed (Devon Odessa)

There will be more uploaded, hopefully including the MSCL one

have a look at http://www.youtube.com/atxfestival

MSCL Fan
Nicky Driscoll

Post by MSCL Fan » Jun 30th 2014, 2:09 pm

ATX finally uploaded the MSCL Q&A - have a look! :D
http://youtu.be/vgP-B54_TB8