Number Eight

General discussion about the nineteen episodes of "My So-Called Life". Note: Our episode guide can be found here.
Johnnyboy
Frozen Embryo

Number Eight

Post by Johnnyboy » Jun 23rd 2000, 10:09 am

I know there's been some discussion about recurring lines before "Whatever happens, happens", "Why are you like this..." etc, but has anyone else noticed how the number "eight" seems to crop up in sentences? For example

Angela: I said, like, eight sentences to you in my entire life

Graham: It was one of the eight best nights of my life

Danielle: There must be someone there she likes, 'cause she changed her clothes, like, eight times

Rayanne says something involving eight as well but I've forgotten what it was. Has anybody else noticed any other examples? D'you reckon there's any significance or is it just a writer's in-joke?

Jack
Yearbook Team

Re: Number Eight

Post by Jack » Jun 23rd 2000, 11:01 am

No I didn't notice that. The number 3 has popped up, that's obvious, but 8...hmmm
...I'll have to ponder.

Jack

Sascha
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Sascha » Jun 24th 2000, 1:49 pm

The results of a search for "eight":

Jordan : There are, like, eight bedrooms.
Angela : That many.

Graham : [on the phone] No. I definitely said *this* Friday. No,
P - Patty, please -- the point is they're here. They're in our living
room. Well -- I-I-I can hold dinner for a little while, but -- okay,
okay, all right, all right. Don't work too hard. I'll see you at --
uh, eight.

Hallie : Don't apologize! We ate every scrap of food and left like eight
million dishes.

#08:
Graham : He's exactly my age..
Patty : I know..
Graham : Yeah, we're like eight months apart..

Sharon : Uh, she's working at Big Guy Burger tonight from three-thirty
til eight.

Rickie : Angela, maybe we should go. You know, to that stupid dance.
Angela : Oh, my God, we should go *together*!
Rickie : Right. Eight o' clock?
Angela : Eight o' clock!
Rickie : I feel so much better, you know? Just to know that it's
settled.

Brian : Her hair smelled like the orange grove we passed when I was
eight on the way to see my grandmother.

Kyle : What, people I, like, know?
Sharon : Eight people have asked me out, Kyle. Okay? Since Tuesday.

Angela : I've said, like eight sentences to you in my entire life.

Angela: We are not going to change our entire lives over
this. There was one stupid gun shot. You are not
dropping me at school. Gawd. I'm not an eight
years old.

#04:
Patty : Lunch was a disaster. He forced me to order pie. And I actually
ate it. I mean, what is wrong with me? Why do I become...an
eight year old around him?

Graham : All right! I admit it, okay? Look, I saw the Grateful Dead when
I was fifteen years old. It was one of the eight best nights of
my life.

Rayanne : <sigh> I'm lucky, my dad's had, like, eight different girlfriends
since he left, so...I'm used to it.

Patty : You know, that's exactly what I thought Dad, and then it came to
me. Lease it. I mean, that way it'd only cost about eight grand
a month.

#07:
Camille : Well, how late?
Patty : Eight days. Eight fun-filled days.
Camille : You're eight days late?
Patty : Shhhhh!
Camille : God, you're never late.

Danielle: I don't know. But, there must be someone there she likes 'cause
she changed clothes, like, eight different times.

:-)
Sascha...

oldguy
Substitute Teacher

Post by oldguy » Jun 25th 2000, 12:15 am

All I can say is "Wow" ------ This is the most
amazing thing I have ever seen on this board!
How do you recognize these things?

Ken
Liberty High Student

Post by Ken » Jun 25th 2000, 6:56 am

Wow!!!
My sentiment exactly. I have no idea what this means other than the fact this has to be more than a conincidence. Anyone got any ideas?

worldsapart
Between Names

Post by worldsapart » Jun 27th 2000, 8:08 pm

Wow! You really did your homework! =) That's really amazing to read all together...though I have no clue what it could mean. I'm not really in a thinking mood tonight. I just got home from work about half an hour ago, so I'm pretty drained. Maybe I'll think of something later! =)

Tracey

Johnnyboy
Frozen Embryo

Post by Johnnyboy » Jun 28th 2000, 4:06 am

I'm glad everybody seems to find this as interesting as I do. "Eight people have asked me out, Kyle, Okay? Since Tuesday". Of course! How did I forget that one! In reply to oldguy asking how I noticed this, I won't pretend I noticed it the first time MSCL was aired but the seeds were sown then, if you like. It's when Graham is talking about seeing the Grateful Dead when he was 15 and he claims "it was one of the eight best nights of my life". I just thought this was a strange thing to say cos usually people would say "One of the ten best nights.." or "One of the five best nights..". Eight seems a weird number to use in that context. Then watching the episodes the third or fourth time round I noitced the "I've said eight sentences... " line and from then on was on the lookout for for other examples.

Also, I've noticed in Halloween there's a deviation from the Eight obsession, and ten comes up a few times: "Do you have to ask me everything ten times" and then Patty tells Danielle that she has to be in at 10 o'clock. But perhaps I'm just reading things into it that aren't there!

angelika
Let's Bolt Regular

Post by angelika » Jun 30th 2000, 3:16 am

WOW! I haven't had a chance to read the posts here in quite a while, but I'm glad that I got here in time for this whole thing. WOW. That's about all I can say. When SAB listed all of those in a row, it was like, completely overwhelming. I wonder if we could contact a writer and ask them about it--my curiosity is going wild. I must know.

Glad to be back. Glad to see that the board is alive. Just plain glad.
*angelika*

mia
Yearbook Team

Hi there!

Post by mia » Jun 30th 2000, 9:44 am

Where have you been?

You know, with your <font color=red>hair</font color=red> like that? It hurts to look at you.

angelika
Let's Bolt Regular

Re: Hi there!

Post by angelika » Jul 1st 2000, 4:56 am

I've been at summer camp, and I go back again in 3 weeks. I love it there, but I'm glad to be home for a bit, so that I can take a shower in my own shower, and sleep in my own bed. (And talk on the internet--I've missed this place!) Glad to see you guys again. :-)

I was surprised to see how inexpensive the MSCL DVDs are--that is great! Do you guys think they sell them in stores, or would I have to get them online?

Anyway, I better go to sleep--it's 4:00 in the morning. !!! :-)

*angelika*

Jack
Yearbook Team

Re: Hi there!

Post by Jack » Jul 1st 2000, 12:51 pm

Katie,

My only exposure to summer camp was the movie "Meatballs" (the original one,
all the sequels stink). So, are you a counselor there? Do you have your own
room or do you have to sleep in a barracks-like room? Are there daily activities
that you have to do, or can you do what you want?

"Curious Jack"

angelika
Let's Bolt Regular

Camp

Post by angelika » Jul 2nd 2000, 4:10 am

Jack,

Actually, I'm glad that you asked, because I love to talk about it, but most of my friends are bored with my stories. :-)

I was there for 3 weeks already this summer. For the first 2 weeks, I was what you call a "work person." Work people help prepare meals, do dishes for approx. 200 people three times a day, clean bathrooms, and do maintenance work. It sounds awful, but it's actually really fun. It's volunteer work, but they pay for room and board, while you get to hang out for 2 weeks at a really awesome place with some really awesome people.

During my third week there, I was a camper. I participated in an event called "Servant Event." This year, we built a huge deck onto a brand new church, we went to a waterpark, and we held a day camp for developmentally disabled adults. As I camper, I lost all of my staff priviledges, but it's still a great experience. We had a youth group come all the way from Texas this year. (The camp is in Indiana.)

When I go back in 3 weeks, I will stay for 2 weeks. I will be what is known as a "CIT", or a Counselor in Training. I am assigned a counselor to shadow for a week, and basically help out and "take notes." During the second week, I become a counselor. MY counselor will be there for legal reasons-(since I'm a minor, in charge of other minors)-but I am a counselor for that week. I AM NERVOUS! I'm excited about it, but also very nervous.

At camp we sleep in cabins. There are 16 cabins. Each counselor is assigned his own cabin, and then shares it with his approx. 6 or 7 campers for that week. All that is in the cabins is 4 bunkbeds. You have to use the restrooms and take showers in either the bathhouse or in the lodge.

Depending on what type of camp you are there for, there are assigned daily activities, such as beachtime, nature, crafts, sports, etc. But none of these things are mandatory. You have to go to the area with your counselor, but for instance, if you can't swim, they don't make you. It's very laid back. All 200 or so of us eat meals together in a huge dining hall in the logde. It's awesome. If, for some crazy reason, you want to see what it looks like, you can go to http://www.lutherhaven.org.

Hopefully you didn't find all of this too boring. :-) If you have any more questions, let me know. I love to talk about it. And I know what you mean about not being exposed to camp--I was SO afraid when I went the first time that it would be like the show "Salute Your Shorts" on Nickelodeon. :-) Thankfully, it's not.

~katie~

mia
Yearbook Team

Re: Camp

Post by mia » Jul 2nd 2000, 2:00 pm

Wow, Kat- um, angelika, that sounds great! I have limited exposure to camp, but only for a week at a time, and none of my camps were as laid back as yours sounds. The closest I came was probably Windy Gap, a Young Life retreat. Other than the afformentioned week-long experiences, all I have to go by are movies. Meatballs and Parent Trap mostly. :}~ Meatballs DID make me want to become a councelor, though. ;) Is it as fun as Hollywood made it look?

You know, with your <font color=red>hair</font color=red> like that? It hurts to look at you.

Christina
Tino

Post by Christina » Jul 3rd 2000, 1:27 am

In the same episode where Graham says "It was one of the eight
best nights of my life", Rayanne also says "My dad has had like
eight different girlfriends since he left."

angelika
Let's Bolt Regular

Re: Camp

Post by angelika » Jul 3rd 2000, 1:31 am

Mia,

I've never seen the movie "Meatballs." I'll have to rent it sometime--I'll let you know how accurate it is. :-) You asked if it is as fun as Hollywood makes it out to be--DEFINITELY. I'm sure that all camps are different, but just the whole experience is awesome. I count down until camp every year--I would live there if I could. :-) Our Executive Director lives at camp all year round--I'm hoping that maybe I can get his job (or something similar) after I graduate. (???) Only time will tell...

~katie~