Amazon.com pulls a DVD Empire

This forum is for questions/discussions about the now sold out first DVD box set by BMG / AnotherUniverse.
Cornelius1047
Overlooked Sibling

Amazon.com pulls a DVD Empire

Post by Cornelius1047 » Oct 4th 2002, 12:54 am

I'm sure this is a mistake, but I thought I'd post it anyway, just for the heck of it. I fired off an email to Jason, cuz he's da man, and I guess it's worthy of note. I'm assuming the same thing happened as with DVD Empire's premature/false listing. Being new to the forum, I just thought I'd bring some news, eventho it's not exactly of the good, or even useful, variety. :lol:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/ ... 44-3953546

:?

K

P.S. Found this on posted on mrcranky.com. Found it somewhat ironic, in lieu of the above:
This DVD boxed set will contain the complete series - all 19 episodes. This set is a special product that is being created in response to an online petition. Because this is a special product, it will not be available at amazon.com.

It's not out yet, but it will be soon. No one seems to know the exact date.
:roll:
"You're so beautiful it hurts to look at you."

mog
Liberty High Student

Post by mog » Oct 4th 2002, 1:13 am

what the f&ck?

is another company pressing MSCL too? plus that's cheaper than we're paying

Region 1

odd......

Cate
Liberty High Student

Ventura Distribution

Post by Cate » Oct 4th 2002, 3:29 am

I checked out the amazon.com listing and went to the Ventura Distribution site and found this under "Hot New Releases" -

Title: My So-Called Life

Genre: TV Drama
Rating/TRT: Not Rated/Approx. 15 hours!
Label: BMG Special Products
Format: DVD

Synopsis: For the first time ever, all 19 episodes of the critically-acclaimed television show My So-Called Life, starring Claire Danes, are available in one DVD box set. The set contains 5 DVDs including interviews and commentary from the show’s stars and creators. Her portrayal of Angela Chase, the angst-ridden, introspective teen earned Clare Danes a Golden Globe. Even today, after being off the air since early 1995, the show has fans all around the world.
Cast: Clare Danes (Terminator 3, Romeo and Juliet, The Rainmaker), Jared Leto (Fight Club, Panic Room, Requim for A Dream), Wilson Cruz (Party of Five, Supernova), Devon Gummersall (Felicity, Earth vs. The Spider, Dick), A.J. Langer (Three Sisters, Escape from

Order Date: Available Now
Street Date: October 22, 2002
SRP: $99.99
UPC Code: 755174695094
Catalog No.: 6950-7
Carton Qty.: 10

(end quote)

What the heck is up with this!?!?!?!? :shock: Jason or Ross, any ideas?

starbug
Lifehead

Post by starbug » Oct 4th 2002, 5:19 am

Plus, there are all sorts of dates showing here... did they just pluck them out of thin air, or is this for real. I am going to be mightily p*ssed if it's for real...
And $60 some? C'mon guys, this is ridiculous.

:evil:

---------------------------------------------
http://www.urban-hills.blogspot.com
---------------------------------------------

Douglas
Nicky Driscoll

Post by Douglas » Oct 4th 2002, 6:05 am

What the F**K, :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:
comedown and waste away with me,

william bloke
Nicky Driscoll

Post by william bloke » Oct 4th 2002, 6:21 am

Okay.....(deep breaths).....nothing has been substantiated.....I'm sure that this is some kind of mistake.

At this point, I really could less about who the distribution is being handled by, or how much money I could have saved.
I just hope that the set will be promptly shipped before:

1. US-led invasion of Iraq.

2. Minnesota Twins winning the World Series in four.

3. Ariel Sharon invites Yassar Arafat to a backyard BBQ and ball game.

4. East Timor becomes a permanent member of the UN Security Council.
"Really? Do you think she did? Really? You think she siliconed her lips? Really?"

Jason R
"Mr. DVD"

Post by Jason R » Oct 4th 2002, 8:46 am

I spoke with BMG and they substantiated this date. They said that AU was originally going to have this to the customers by August/September, so they were waiting for preorderers to have it first. This set does not include bonus material or lunchbox, but otherwise the discs are the same.

The Studio is BMG, I don't know why the distributor (Ventura) is listed as the studio, but the rest is accurate.

pgh kenny
Angelica

Post by pgh kenny » Oct 4th 2002, 8:53 am

starbug wrote:Plus, there are all sorts of dates showing here... did they just pluck them out of thin air, or is this for real. I am going to be mightily p*ssed if it's for real...
And $60 some? C'mon guys, this is ridiculous.

:evil:
Whether it is November 2002 or November 2003, it is probably inevitable that amazon.com or someone will eventially offer the the 5-cd set for $50 to $60. just look at the price of other full season dvd sets. a full season of sex in the city runs $30 to 40.

i pre-ordered because people had to step forward to demonstrate that there was demand for this product. plus the lunchbox is very cool. also, at the time I ordered, it was uncertain what the demand would be and i thought that there might not be more than one production run. i voluntarily paid the price i paid, so i'm not going to be mad if the price goes down in the future. heck, the first people who bought vcrs in the 80's paid $800. now a vcr is $45.

i don't mean to be a nerd, but retailers are pretty swift... they want to take advange of the fact that some people are willing to pay more to have an item first, while other people are on the fence and will only buy a product if the price is right. plus, as production ramps up, the cost per unit comes down. price dropping even happens at blockbuster: new releases are more expensive to rent than old stale movies like "the Burbs".

now, given that i was willing to pay a premium for this product, i am disgusted that I HAVE STILL NOT RECEIVED A REFUND for my overcharge. come on, three weeks after contacting a company and six weeks after the posting date is plenty of time to process a credit. i guess i'll have to sign the dispute form and send it in. for all the time ross has spent posting to this board, he could have manually processed at least 100 refunds.

Jason R
"Mr. DVD"

Post by Jason R » Oct 4th 2002, 8:59 am

The original plan was to have these done in June. :roll:

Then August, then September, etc.

I'm not going to fault BMG for finding a broader market for the discs (being the guy who told them they would have a big seller if they did), but I just don't understand how a double charge at AU can remain unfixed for so long. It blurs the issues.

If people felt that they received superior service, they wouldn't have thought twice about paying more for the collector's sets.

David Lambert
TVShowsOnDVD.com

Post by David Lambert » Oct 4th 2002, 10:19 am

I'm sticking with getting the sets from AU for now.

A) I've already successfully dealt with the double-charge situation, and feel as if there won't be any new ones.
B) The lunchbox and bonus disc
C) I'm pretty sure Jason gets paid for all the s**t he's put up with if we buy the set from AU. The other way, I'm not so sure, since he wasn't involved with that...BMG's just milking through Ventura Distribution what Jason sweated to make happen in the first place.
D) The light is at the end of the tunnel anyway...why through a log in the road now? The AU orders will almost certainly arrive prior to the others.

But...I can't blame anyone for switching who has been dicked around. Especially if they haven't been UN-dicked yet. Like that phrasology? :)
DAVE LAMBERT
Memphis, TN

danguyf
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by danguyf » Oct 4th 2002, 10:39 am

David Lambert wrote:C) I'm pretty sure Jason gets paid for all the s**t he's put up with if we buy the set from AU.
I'm pretty sure he doesn't. Jason's pay should not be contingent upon the number of people ordering (or continuing to order) from AU.

Jason R
"Mr. DVD"

Post by Jason R » Oct 4th 2002, 10:43 am

I should not be a consideration in making a purchasing decision.

mephisto
Angela's best friend

Post by mephisto » Oct 4th 2002, 10:51 am

Jason Rosenfeld wrote:The Studio is BMG, I don't know why the distributor (Ventura) is listed as the studio, but the rest is accurate.
at least BMG could wait a few more months before selling it normally...

Jason R
"Mr. DVD"

Post by Jason R » Oct 4th 2002, 10:53 am

The way BMG sees it, you should have had this in your hands in August. They were giving 2-3 months, according to what they told me.

fnordboy
Ed Zwick Wannabe

Post by fnordboy » Oct 4th 2002, 11:38 am

Fine whatever the disks will be available elsewhere, I dont care about that. But what the F^ck is up with the List price on Amazon.com? $89.95???

I personally didnt pre order this disk because of past problems with AU, i ordered it the day before it was to be released (Jun 18th iirc) and it was 115 bucks then. As it stands now since they only cleared up ONE of my double charges I am currently paying 230 + shipping for this f***ing set.

This blows. Im one of the people who got raped the hardest on this deal: triple charged off of a debit card (ie cash out of my pocket!) and i dont get jack s**t extra then what i could be paying 67 dollars for except a bonus disk.

We could all sit here and say that it is great that we helped support a new idea in DVD releasing. But when it comes down to it regardless of how successful (money-wise) this is, anyone who wanted to do a similar venture looks at this whole fiasco would surely see what a clusterfuck this has been since day one and then question if they would want to do this.