fave part

General discussion about the nineteen episodes of "My So-Called Life". Note: Our episode guide can be found here.
humble evey
Tino

fave part

Post by humble evey » Jun 28th 2002, 5:58 am

you have prolly been asked this like a hundread times but what is your fave part or episode of mscl?

i know a lot of people have said the "angela dance" and the part where jordan finally comes to his sences and grabs angelas hand as they are walking down the hall.

but for some reason i love the part in "life with brian" where they are at the dance and angela is walking away from brian and that slo mo thing happens and she sees jordan....i dont know why, maybe its the slo mo and the music that plays that makes me like it, but i do.

what about you guys?

just-likeKrakow
Overlooked Sibling

Re: fave part

Post by just-likeKrakow » Jun 28th 2002, 12:28 pm

Fave part?
there are too many.

Fave episode...is easier...Life of Brian!

"She asked me if I could come over tonight and explain congruent triangles to her."

socalledfan
Angela's best friend

Post by socalledfan » Jun 28th 2002, 3:48 pm

Hi humble evey!

Just like "just-likeKrakow", (heehee) I can not pick just one scene.

But your description of that moment in "Life of Brian" had me thinking of one of my favorites....it occurs shortly after that. Angela is outside with Ricky, and Jordan comes outside with his buddies. Angela walks over to Jordan and he presses her up against the fence and they *almost* kiss. He says:

J: "Why are you like this?"

A: "Like what?"

J: "Like how you are." (and he walks away...)

A: (flabbergasted) "How am I? How...how am I?"

I LOVE that scene. Gives me goosebumps.

;-)
Socalledfan

"You're so beautiful, it hurts to look at you."

Nostradamus
Marshall Wannabe

Post by Nostradamus » Jun 30th 2002, 3:01 am

Well, it's all good, but for me, Halloween is a sliver above the rest. As for scenes, that episode has one of my visual and comedic faves: Rayanne, in vamp garb, adjusts her shoelaces, which exposes her legs in such a way that Brian nearly has a heart attack and lets go of a self locking door, trapping the both of them. The humor is obvious, and as for the aesthetic appeal, I recently conferred with a friend who saw that shot once 3 yrs ago and still has it "burned in my mind". It also inspired him to watch the rest of the series, which he will do when I get my dvds. I hope I don't sound to primitive bringing this up, but these days there is so much emphasis on gross anatomy-ala Sharon's Global Endowments award- I find it refreshing to see a well-turned ankle :) I fully appreciate the artistic value of MSCL, but sometimes you just have to stop and smell the hottie!

Nostradamus
Marshall Wannabe

Post by Nostradamus » Jun 30th 2002, 3:29 am

I forgot to mention my fave MSCL quote, also from Halloween--Rayanne, holding up crossed fingers: "Tino and the forces of darkness are like THIS!" --P.S.: Is it just me, or would "Tino and the Forces of Darkness" be a really cool band name?

foolishoptimist
Three Rivers Resident

Post by foolishoptimist » Jun 30th 2002, 8:56 am

One of my absolute favourite scenes is in "Dancing in the dark" at the end when Brian comes out after Angela's just recieved her fake ID("I could have killed him"). She goes into the house, then Jordan comes back.
The WHOLE conversation between Jordan and Brian is brilliant.
[highlights] "is Tino here?"
"Shouldn't it prove that she's 21?" - "According to this, she was born yesterday."
"Is she really from, uh, France."
CLASSIC!!!

The owls are not what they seem.

Post by Guest » Jun 30th 2002, 11:34 am

I am with socalled fan on this one. I *love* that scene between Angela and Jordan outside of the dance. Gives me goosebumps, too!

Hee. That or the scene between Patty and Graham in the Halloween episode, where she is dressed as Rapunzel, and he the pirate. And they are macking it in the living room after they hand out candy to the kids, and Patty says, "Keep the tights on... Just. A. Little. Bit. Longer." Hee. Go, Patty!

kimincali
Tino

Post by kimincali » Jul 9th 2002, 10:53 pm

My favorite episode would have to be "The Zit." I think it is truly a masterpiece in the sense that it captures what so many girls Angela's age feel about themselves. At the end, when she talks about being in a prison of self-hatred and realizing everyone is beautiful in their own way....makes me cry every time (and i've seen it like 100 times).

My favorite moment would be from "Self-Esteem," when Brian and Ricky are sitting outside of school venting about their respective problems, and they're both going on and on not listening to each other [Ricky: They're 2 Completely Different Names!]. It is just so quality, and so teen-agerish of the two of them to be sitting there, completely in their own worlds... But then Ricky asks Brian if he's going to go see Angela, proving that he's actually been listening, and it's just so hilarious in this kind of intangible way.

faigyfish

favorite moment

Post by faigyfish » Sep 24th 2002, 9:11 pm

My favorite moment is when Angela and Jordan hug under the bleachers. I can just watch that scene over and over again.

humanbtbox
Tino

Post by humanbtbox » Sep 25th 2002, 4:16 pm

my favorite moment is the ever popular when Jordan and Angela hold hands. I love that moment.

However, i do have a slightly les trendy favorite moment. :wink: In Strangers in the House, at the end when Sharon is crying and telling Angela how she was the only one Sharon really wanted to talk to, and she says how much it hurts. When Angela offers her hand and tells her to squeeze her hand as much as it hurts. The LOOK on Sharons face.... I love it. After all they've been through, they can change but they'll still have that bond because they have been through so much together. It speaks volumes to me. Just yesterday I watched that ep and I cried there.
In dreams begin responsibilities.

Megs
Lifehead

Post by Megs » Oct 1st 2002, 4:05 pm

This is my favorite scene, as well.
socalledfan wrote: Angela is outside with Ricky, and Jordan comes outside with his buddies. Angela walks over to Jordan and he presses her up against the fence and they *almost* kiss. He says:

J: "Why are you like this?"

A: "Like what?"

J: "Like how you are." (and he walks away...)

A: (flabbergasted) "How am I? How...how am I?"

I LOVE that scene. Gives me goosebumps.

;-)
Socalledfan

"You're so beautiful, it hurts to look at you."
Either that, or the scene in that same episode where Ricky and Delia Fisher dance to What is Love?. Classic. :)
"I have all these dreams where I know exactly what to say. And you tell me, you know, that you forgive me."

Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Oct 1st 2002, 5:34 pm

I swear that I'm not just trying to weasel out of answering the question, but MSCL reminds of When Harry Met Sally in the sense that every scene is great so it's not really a matter of my favorite scenes as opposed to the ones that stand out in my mind for one reason or another (i.e. loved Angela's dress, great quote, etc).

I think I have mentioned this before, but have you ever noticed how almost every line in WHMS is a great quote? I can't go a day without inserting an applicable quote from that movie!

OCD, OCD!

:D

Kip
Frozen Embryo

Post by Kip » Oct 3rd 2002, 3:14 pm

My favorite part of MSCL is when Mr. Katimski ask Rickie to join the drama club. The exchange between the teacher and Rickie is one of the best ever. Mr. K "Oh good, cause no one should hate who they are" Im a huge fan of MSCL and anyone who would like to discuss anything MSCL related please e-mail me at Janilane8@aol.com thanks

sid_barrett
Let's Bolt Regular

Post by sid_barrett » Oct 3rd 2002, 8:12 pm

my fav scene is from " Dancing in the dark" when Angela is walking out to Jordans car, with the over dub of the dance teacher. wonderfully shot, and so honest.
the " why are you like this" scene is a good one too. gosh, there are so many good ones :wink:
fav quote "this life has been a test, if it had been an actual life, you would have been given instructions on where to go and what to do" i say that every day.
"...and I said ' oh, oh, oh, oh, oh, oh, oh, what a feeling'"

K-man
Liberty High Graduate

Post by K-man » Oct 3rd 2002, 9:44 pm

Sid_B, I agree that the scene where Angela approaches Jordan's car with the dance instructor's V/O is great! One of my favorites. Though my feelings on this question have changed over time I would have to say "Why Jordan Can't Read" probably holds my favorite scenes. Specifically: when Angela and Jordan argue about the 5 page letter and Angela learns of Jordan's learning/reading problems. Then later in the ep. when Angela and Krakow argue b/c Brian learns Angela will be going out on a date with Jordan. So many scenes.....I could go on and on and on and on....
Daddy sold the farm and they've killed my trees. K-man