Any certain time you all like to watch MSCL?

General discussion about the nineteen episodes of "My So-Called Life". Note: Our episode guide can be found here.

Any certain time you all like to watch MSCL?

Post by Guest » Sep 23rd 2002, 2:16 pm

I've noticed that every fall I break out the MSCL box sets. That's what brought me to this board. Maybe it's because the crisp cool days outside are what are so often shown on the show. Or maybe it's because it's the start of a new school year, new beginnings and it's nice to return to the familiarity. But I popped in the tapes the other day and now I'm here so....

I was just wondering what inspires you all to watch?

Megs
Lifehead

Post by Megs » Sep 23rd 2002, 2:22 pm

If I had the episodes on tape, I would watch it all the time. But, alas, I never taped them when they were on TV. I am anxiously awaiting the arrival of my DVD boxset.

But to answer your question, everythng makes me want to watch them! :lol:
"I have all these dreams where I know exactly what to say. And you tell me, you know, that you forgive me."

Re: Any certain time you all like to watch MSCL?

Post by Guest » Sep 25th 2002, 7:04 pm

I thought I was the only one who watched mscl that show changed my life Im Angela]

Debs
Liberty High Student

Post by Debs » Sep 25th 2002, 7:48 pm

I have about sixteen episodes on tape but I never had the pilot. I taped them back in 1998 when they were shown on C4 during the summer. I used to watch them all the time and so now my tapes are really grainy. I'm not sure of the episode names but I especially like the one with Rayanne's party / tarot cards and as this is the first show on tape 2 I'd watch that a lot. I love the Christmas episode too - it would get to me anytime of the year. Oh and Weekend! The whole thing with Rayanne handcuffed to the bed / Patty getting drunk is highly entertaining.

I'd usually watch if I'm feeling down or lonely or just for pure entertainment value. I'm speaking in past-tense as I haven't watched an episode since I signed the petition over a year ago. I'm now saving myself because I'm so excited about these DVDs but I have to say, I think about My So-Called Life as often as a guy thinks about sex. I'm especially excited as I'll get to see The Pilot properly for the first time.
Mom. Streamers?

Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Sep 26th 2002, 1:55 am

Anonymous wrote:I've noticed that every fall I break out the MSCL box sets. Maybe it's because the crisp cool days outside are what are so often shown on the show.
I've noticed that some of my habits are seasonal and the crisp autumn air definitely triggers a lot of them!

Then again, there's no bad time to have a MSCL marathon! My sister and I used to have them in the summer. More because we could stay up all night than because of the weather.

:D

sine
Three Rivers Resident

Post by sine » Sep 26th 2002, 2:17 am

Debs wrote:I have to say, I think about My So-Called Life as often as a guy thinks about sex.
Ahem, I'm sure you meant "as often as a person thinks about sex."

After all, as we know, "Boys don't have the monopoly on thinking about it!" :wink:
G: it's a problem, when everybody is spitting in the same spittoon (I mean cuspidor). are you following my drift?
D: barely, but let's pretend that I am

-- New Planet, Milwaukee Youth Center Choir

blueone
Overlooked Sibling

Post by blueone » Sep 27th 2002, 3:31 pm

I have no problem watching MSCL all year but especially during fall and around christmas are my favorite times. Feeling the cold crisp air outside and maybe some snow to then just lay down on my bed and watch the show, that is truly great.

Can't wait for the DVDs, I've only got the three first episodes on DVD and some 4 or 5 episodes on tape.

K-man
Liberty High Graduate

Post by K-man » Sep 28th 2002, 9:26 pm

I agree that the beginning of autumn always triggers thoughts of MSCL. Perhaps it is because most of the episodes do seem to be shot in that time of year. Except maybe the pilot where it seems pretty warm outside, at least at the beginning. As the Halloween decorations appear in the grocery store I always think of the Halloween episode. And whenever I see the leaves change shades, I immediately think of Angela riding Brian's bike down that empty street . (The end of Pressure I believe.?.) But I watch those old fading tapes all year round.
Daddy sold the farm and they've killed my trees. K-man

Post by Guest » Sep 30th 2002, 5:40 am

I always watch MSCL when I'm down or feeling pretty crap...The Zit especially usually manages to convince me that I'm not an ugly horrible person lol : )

So-Called Loon
Angela's best friend

Post by So-Called Loon » Oct 13th 2002, 5:15 am

Megs wrote:If I had the episodes on tape, I would watch it all the time. But, alas, I never taped them when they were on TV. I am anxiously awaiting the arrival of my DVD boxset.

But to answer your question, everythng makes me want to watch them! :lol:
I only got about 6 on tape. But years later i found a very nice person in another state whom i mailed 10 blank tapes, and she recorded all 19 episodes and returned them. :)
Been a member since sometime BR (before Ross)

jes

rayanne and angela

Post by jes » Oct 16th 2002, 10:32 pm

how many times in my life have i been in a rayanne and angela relationship. *laughs* i think many people especially girls have. you break out of your shell and see a new you(like angela) or you are attached to the person that is who you could picture youself being if you had led a different life (like rayanne) or you are infatuated with the much wilder girl who is completly unlike yourself(like angela . then how that connection between the both of you and how you are so different that you flock to one another. maybe you have been a rayanne or maybe you have been a angela, maybe youve been both, i know i have. mscl shows things that many kids go through. alchoholism, dislexia, school shootings <though that is more well known of today though during my youth we had our first kid in school go bezurk right before i graduated and killed 2 people> , as well as many other things. its definatly a show that should come back in reruns for teenagers now days...

SanDeE*
So-Called Addict

Post by SanDeE* » Nov 5th 2002, 1:55 am

My "MSCL tapes" story is classic teen angst. I started taping them during their run on MTV (although I've been a fan from the very first ABC airing). I was thirteen when they first were playing, so I guess I didn't think about it, and when they were run on MTV about a year or so later (can't remember exactly) I decided I wanted to tape them all in order and have myself a nice little collection. Well, it was going fine for a while, but then either my dad or my brother taped over one. This is where I flipped out. I threw a big fit and yelled at them and I said "That's it! It's ruined! There's no point in only having some of the episodes, I wanted them all!" And I stormed up to my room and slammed the door. Wow. Teen angst at it's finest, I tell ya! So I haven't seen an episode since then. I am SO pumped for my set! I'll watch it anytime, but most likely when I'm alone.

SanDeE*
So-Called Addict

Re: rayanne and angela

Post by SanDeE* » Nov 5th 2002, 2:01 am

jes wrote:how many times in my life have i been in a rayanne and angela relationship.
I've been in several of these rayanne/angela relationships. I'm pretty sure I've always been angela. I've only had about three boyfriends. Now that I think of it, I've been dumped more times by girls than I have by guys! And I don't even date girls! hahaha 8)

Cap'n Fool
Nicky Driscoll

Post by Cap'n Fool » Nov 21st 2002, 12:56 am

Anonymous wrote:I've noticed that every fall I break out the MSCL box sets. That's what brought me to this board. Maybe it's because the crisp cool days outside are what are so often shown on the show. Or maybe it's because it's the start of a new school year, new beginnings and it's nice to return to the familiarity. But I popped in the tapes the other day and now I'm here so....
Oh, absolutely in the fall. The first time I saw it was on its original ABC fall schedule, so that's when it works best for me. I even prefer to watch it on Thursday nights for that same reason. Not only that, but Juliana Hatfield's CD, "Only Everything," is forever linked to this show in my mind. As soon as I saw her in the Christmas episode, I immediately went out & bought that disc, and good god it is so insanely GREAT. Her sweet little voice, sitting on top of that HUGE SOLID WALL OF GUITARS... Whew. I had the disc in the car again tonight, and a 20-minute trip turned into 45 because even after all these years, I still can't get out of the damn car until it's over!

<ahem.> Anyway, when autumn rolls around, it's MSCL & Juliana for me, heh.

Cap'n Fool