technologically inept

This forum has been closed and archived. No further postings allowed. Read-only access. For more informations read this announcement.
starbug
Lifehead

technologically inept

Post by starbug » Sep 16th 2002, 7:57 am

Hey Guys,

Being a complete idiot when it comes to all sorts of technology doesn't usually cause me a problem. But I'm having a dilemma...

I don't own a DVD player...

After all the time I've spent waiting for and agonising over (yes, I've been having MSCL DVD dreams) waiting for this set, I'm not about to screw it up at the last stage and get a DVD player which is

a) crap quality
b) won't play the disks at all...

I know you're meant to be able to play them in any part of the world. However, I break into a cold sweat when I think about it because I'm only as far advanced as ordinary video which I know is different in different countries. Hell, I haven't even managed to master the Videoplus feature on my player (purchased for me by a friend because I'm too stupid to deal with it myself but not stupid enough to trust a salesperson in Dixons - those from the UK will know why...).

While in the past I have somewhat enjoyed wallowing in my own inability, those days are (hopefully) over and contrary to my recent practice of surrounding myself with people almost as ignorant as me, I now wish to get some knowledge....

So, I'd really be very grateful if someone could please please explain what sort of DVD player I need to get? Is it worth paying more? Will I need to in order to get these things to work?

I could spend hours surfing the net til my eyes bleed to discover it, or talk to some salesperson in a shop, but neither of these options appeal, and I figure you guys seem to have a massive portfolio of intellectual property relating to this sort of thing, and are generally much nicer a bunch...

all info will be received and processed with joy and happiness :D

BTW, is anyone else worried about Jason?? The last few posts I've seen from him rather suggest he is a man on the brink... :o I hope you're chilled, Jason...

Thanks guys

:)

---------------------------------------------
http://www.urban-hills.blogspot.com

arnesbarnes
Tino

Post by arnesbarnes » Sep 16th 2002, 8:50 am

Hiya Starbug!

I'm in the UK too, and I know what you mean about Dixons!

Have you tried Richer Sounds (http://www.richersounds.com)? If you can get to one of their shops, they're pretty helpful for the clueless first time buyer. I've not tried ordering online, but you can have a look and see what you think. Their prices are very competitive indeed.

You don't need a multi-region player to watch the MSCL DVDs, but I'd recommend getting one because it means you can get cheap DVDs from overseas.

I'm not really an expert myself, but I think generally the more you pay, the better the sound and picture quality is likely to be. However, it's unlikely that the differences will be that noticeable unless you have an enormous TV and expensive surround sound equipment to go with it. Go for a well-known brand and just spend as much as you can sensibly afford.

HTH :D

starbug
Lifehead

Post by starbug » Sep 16th 2002, 8:58 am

Thanks - I haven't heard of Richersounds and I'll check them out... :)

Good tip for the cheap DVD's - multi region means 'whole world', right?

And I am for the moment, without Dolby or Surround or anything like a massive TV (more like 14 inches) but I think my partner is about to spend like a fool on his credit card, so hopefully, vicariously of course, I'll reap the benefits of widescreen TV wonderfulness with speakers in many and varied sizes and positions...

I figure I should try and get a reasonably good one because, let's face it, my TV owning status can only improve from the 1985 model of some awful obselete brand, and I'd hate to ruin it with a naff DVD player...

And as well as being technologically inept, this is the only board I view... can you tell me, what does 'HTH' stand for???

Ta
:D

arnesbarnes
Tino

Post by arnesbarnes » Sep 16th 2002, 9:09 am

Yep, multi-region means you can play DVDs from anywhere. Region 1 is the US (and probably some other places), Region 2 is Europe. Region 0 (which is what the MSCL DVDs are) means they're "uncoded" and so will play on any player.

I think I'm going to have to invest in a widescreen TV soon too - it is pretty pointless watching DVDs on my mono-sound portable one!

H(ope) T(hat) H(elps) :D

starbug
Lifehead

Post by starbug » Sep 16th 2002, 9:14 am

ahhh, yes it does, thanks!

well, I'm going to be so geared up when these DVDs arrive that you'll be able to hear the sounds of MSCL all over the UK...

I hope :)

Debs
Liberty High Student

Post by Debs » Sep 16th 2002, 10:18 am

Hiya Starbug -

I recently purchased my first DVD player. It is a Samsung and I paid £99. Now, this is my first DVD player therefore I have nothing to compare it to, but let me just say... WOW. The movie viewing experience is just so enhanced on these things... it's hard to describe really, but do you remember the first time you ever listened to a CD?? That's the kind of experience you'll have again, only with picture too! My video collection brought my favourite movies home but it was never the same as going to the cinema. Now when I slot in a DVD I get chills up my body as soon as the Universal logo comes on... but I am, ahem, seeing doctors about that.

Yes, the region coding can be a tad confusing to the DVD Virgin but don't let it boggle you. If you get a lowish buget DVD player like mine, this will most likely play region 2 discs only. However, the makers of DVDs can (and are) getting around coding for specific regions, which, did you know, is apparently a way of getting the British viewer to pay more because British DVDs are more expensive than anywhere else in the world? I read that somewhere...

Take my latest purchase; The Back to the Future Trilogy. This is the Australian (region 4) Box set and will not be available in Britain until December. However, these discs actually play on our region 2 players because they are "dual coded" - only not being advertised as so because when we finally get this treasure in time for Christmas, we will be paying anywhere upwards from £25 FOR THE EXACT SAME PRODUCT. I paid £17.99 - and I get to watch it now!! So there are bargains out there - you just have to make sure it says "will play on region 2". And of course, the MSCL Boxset is "region 0" so we can all enjoy wherever we are.

The DVD serch engine http://www.kelkoo.com will track down any DVD titles and give you the best prices, so it's worth checking that out if you're going to build a nice collection. And we're ALL going to have the best collections now with our MSCL boxsets!!

So go get that DVD player and have some fun!

Best,
Deb xx
Mom. Streamers?

starbug
Lifehead

Post by starbug » Sep 16th 2002, 10:37 am

Thanks, Debs :)

I've just had a look on Richer Sounds and yay! there is a shop near where I work with plenty of good looking DVD players... I'll be there this week purchasing. Middle of the range is my hope - up to about £150 should get me a pretty swish player, I reckon, and I'm definitely going for the multi-region option...

Of course the other reason for getting one is that LOTR will eventually be released as a big bad box set and I need to collect these sorts of DVD heaven products so I can educate my future children in quality viewing

and of course, I'm tripping over to the USA next summer and wouldn't want to miss out on the purchasing options available there :)

I'm so looking forward to this MSCL marathon I can hardly breathe...

Pedro!

Post by Pedro! » Sep 16th 2002, 10:47 am

Hey fellow UK mscl fans!

I too have just recently bought a DVD player in anticipation for the set, although I think I bought it from Curry's. I got a SANYO for £149, so thats not too pricey considering.

You dont need to worry about region coding cos the set is worldwide, all you need to do is make sure you get a half-decent player. I originally got one from a supermarket ( a very famous one at that) and it was crap.

8)

starbug
Lifehead

Post by starbug » Sep 16th 2002, 10:50 am

oh, go on, name names...

I was in tesco yesterday and they were selling one for £89 but I decided not to get it because I was afraid it would be crap and not play my DVDs ... glad I didn't now

jellybean
Jody Barsh

Post by jellybean » Sep 18th 2002, 4:53 am

Definitely have a look at richer sounds, just bring someone with you to stop you spending!!!!

There are a couple of really good deals on their website at the minute - multi region DVD players for around £100. It will probably be best to go in and have your budget of £150 in mind and just ask the guys in the shop - if they're anything like the ones in Belfast you'll do well out of it.

I have heard horrible rumours that in the future some DVDs will not play on multi region players. Don't know if this is true or not... Maybe the guys in Richer sounds will know.

Just can't wait to get my grubby little fingers on the box set - 15hrs back to back viewing!!!!!! :lol:

Also, check out http://www.play.com for probably the cheapest region 1 and region 2 DVDs