Play by play review of the set.

This forum has been closed and archived. No further postings allowed. Read-only access. For more informations read this announcement.
Jason R
"Mr. DVD"

Post by Jason R » Sep 9th 2002, 5:51 am

In this title, it is obviously a typo:

"Other People's Mother" not mothers. Unless the other people are all related.

Wendy5579
Tino

Post by Wendy5579 » Sep 9th 2002, 5:51 am

I tried to use the ivisit thingy too. But I couldn't get it to open, it would keep freezing.

Wendy

Sascha
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Sascha » Sep 9th 2002, 5:57 am

Jason Rosenfeld wrote:Hey! I just realized, I am watching the first episode to never have been released by BMG before. (They only released up to #12 before BMG Video gave up the ghost).
"...To Boldly Go Where Noone Has Gone Before..." oh wait, that's another tv series. :-)

Here's something to get you through the night: ;-)

Jason R
"Mr. DVD"

Post by Jason R » Sep 9th 2002, 6:06 am

No thanks, Sascha, I'm On The Wagon... HAR HAR HAR.

Episode 14 now. I'm almost there. Is this like a world record or something?

Debs
Liberty High Student

Post by Debs » Sep 9th 2002, 6:07 am

You have to drop by on Jason. He's making history with his TV!
Mom. Streamers?

Jason R
"Mr. DVD"

Post by Jason R » Sep 9th 2002, 6:10 am

Sun coming up again! Woohoo! Haven't been up this late since college. I mean my bachelor party. j/k. hehe

I started watching this at 7:25 pm. It's now 6:12 am and I still have like 5 1/2 episodes left.

What bang for the entertainment dollar. Unless AU double billed you, in which case "what bang for the entertainment $2." har har.

Nostradamus
Marshall Wannabe

There's still time...

Post by Nostradamus » Sep 9th 2002, 6:37 am

I'm off to dreamland but you might still catch Jason. You may never have another chance to see him yawn, scratch his nose, drink postum, and shift positions in his chair! Oh, the excitement! :o

Seriously, though, he is being very nice and chatty, and I think he needs help staying awake. Go visit him! Go! Now! Go! :D
I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure.
-- Clarence Darrow

I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it.
-- Mark Twain

mephisto
Angela's best friend

Post by mephisto » Sep 9th 2002, 9:22 am

Jason Rosenfeld wrote: Unless AU double billed you, in which case "what bang for the entertainment $2." har har.
God, this guy scares me ;)

last time I didn't sleep for over 30 hours was on my flight back from NY to Europe.

mephisto
Angela's best friend

Layer changes and Subtitles

Post by mephisto » Sep 9th 2002, 9:30 am

Jason Rosenfeld wrote:Thanks to Gord for chilling me out during Episode 2. It froze for about 3 seconds. Gord taught me about a little thing called layer change.
it IS possible to control the layer change. At least a little bit. Never saw a layer change when watching a Star Trek or Buffy DVD. They put them either between the episodes or were a commercial break would be

i.e. Universal Germany published the movie "Amelie" a few months back. There were several serious errors, so they stopped selling the movie and made a new release. While doing this they really listened to the fans and also postponed the layer change a few seconds so that it was at the and instead of in the middle of a scene

I would ask them to change this...

oh btw: the subtitles during the credits are normally ABOVE the credits (i.e. at the top of the screen or just on top of the credits), so you can really read them. So that could be changed too...

and correct episode titles would be neat as well :)

ClarenceWorley
Let's Bolt Regular

MSCL - The Cult Drug for the mid-90's and the DVD Generation

Post by ClarenceWorley » Sep 9th 2002, 9:39 am

mephisto wrote:God, this guy scares me ;)
Yeah. Someone go over to Jason's to make sure he hasn't OD'ed or sumthin'. :wink:
"I'm just an ordinary guy with nothing to lose."

Jason R
"Mr. DVD"

Re: MSCL - The Cult Drug for the mid-90's and the DVD Genera

Post by Jason R » Sep 9th 2002, 10:05 am

Gord said he saw many movies where the layer change happens right when they are about to kill someone or something, giving that person or thing an extra precious moment of life (albeit a frozen one). Maybe he will see this and post here.

In any case, I was starting to hallucinate flames and spiders biting my arms, so I took a short nap. Watching the last four episodes now.

:shock:

Jason

PS: My brain is melting.

GordLacey
TVShowsOnDVD.com

Re: Layer changes and Subtitles

Post by GordLacey » Sep 9th 2002, 10:45 am

mephisto wrote:it IS possible to control the layer change. At least a little bit. Never saw a layer change when watching a Star Trek or Buffy DVD. They put them either between the episodes or were a commercial break would be
I once read a technical explanation about how layer changes work. Basically a layer change occurs in the middle of the content. Sometimes if there are other video pieces on the disc they can arrange them to shift the layer change around a bit. I don't think there's anything else on these discs, so a disc with 3 episodes on it should have a layer change somewhere around the middle of the 2nd episode. Star Trek and Buffy both contain an even number of episodes so the layer change wouldn't be noticed since the episodes are 2 on each layer, not split. I had my DVD player crap out on me while watching a ST:TNG disc and it died while I accessed a menu since the menu was on the second layer. PLEASE NOTE: the layer change did not wreck my DVD player, my laser just wore out.

I just asked Jason and he says that the only layer change he's noticed is on the first disc, the one with 3 episodes on it.
mephisto wrote:I would ask them to change this...
There's no way they will. I just sat through the entire 3rd season of Sopranos on DVD this weekend and I noticed multiple layer changes. A layer change on a DVD is a common thing on DVDs and isn't considered a problem. If DVD players contained some kind of buffer (think anti-shock CD players) it would correct this problem. DVD players in computers don't suffer from this since they buffer the video when it's played back.

Gord

Jason R
"Mr. DVD"

Post by Jason R » Sep 9th 2002, 10:48 am

Heh, So Called Angel is on now. The funny thing is that the gospel song that was one of the causes of so many clearance delays just came on.

Would definitely have sucked to cut this emotional moment out. Not much surround going on. The church could have had a better echo chamber sound to it, although I suppose the goal is to be true to the master, and not change things a la George Lucas. This version sure beats the kazoo sound track we considered (jokingly of course) when It seemed that the music would have to be cut.

Maybe Angela will end up with Brian on this version?

"and dance by the light of the moon..." Heard this enough times. hehe

Jason R
"Mr. DVD"

Post by Jason R » Sep 9th 2002, 10:53 am

Ok, I just loaded disc 5. :P

Resolutions is up now.

Jason R
"Mr. DVD"

Post by Jason R » Sep 9th 2002, 11:05 am

If you haven't stopped by the room, it's more fun than a barrel of monkeys. At least 3 perverts have already tried to expose themselves (not from MSCL, just internet wackos).