Could Delia actually forgive Brian?

General discussion about the nineteen episodes of "My So-Called Life". Note: Our episode guide can be found here.
Nicky Driscoll

Could Delia actually forgive Brian?

Post by 411314 » Jul 24th 2010, 9:30 pm

I've noticed a few fanfics have Delia forgiving Brian for the whole World Hapiness Dance incident. Do you think that would have actually happened on the show if it'd gone on long enough?

Browland
Tino

Re: Could Delia actually forgive Brian?

Post by Browland » Feb 10th 2011, 2:35 am

I don't know. Delia's a sweet girl, but Brian's rejection will likely sting for a long time. You just don't do that to someone. As much as I like Brian and understand that he's not socially adept, I can't excuse how he hurt her like that, without even thinking. I realize Brian didn't mean to be callous, but still. Maybe that sort of situation plays out a lot in high school, but it has to be a really crushing experience at that tender age.

RAVENOUS
Frozen Embryo

Post by RAVENOUS » Mar 18th 2011, 8:53 pm

She seemed a strong girl. I'm sure she would deal with it in a mature way. She seemed to be dealing with it well in her conversation with Ricky in In Dreams...

RCBS
Overlooked Sibling
Location: 100 miles from Three Rivers, on the good side of the River

Post by RCBS » Aug 11th 2011, 4:57 pm

Hot dog.
Last edited by RCBS on Dec 16th 2016, 11:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Superjesus
Overlooked Sibling

Post by Superjesus » Aug 26th 2011, 8:12 am

I think she could, but I don't really think she'd want to.

BuffaloLawnmower
Liberty High Student

Post by BuffaloLawnmower » Aug 27th 2011, 6:17 am

I don't think that she will. In the last episode, she tells Rickie that Brian is a "low down dog".

Yes, what Brian did was hurtful. I'm not saying that Delia should date him. However, it frustrated me that she didn't really even take into account that he felt completely horrible about what he did, realized the mistake that he made just as he was making it, and that he didn't really want to hurt her or use her. It wasn't right of him to ditch her for Angela, that much is true, but it's also true that it wouldn't have been right of him to string her along or lead her on, either. I agree with the Angela's World analysis that he would have hurt Delia sooner or later: either as he did by ditching her or else later on when she realized that she couldn't compete with Angela, at least not at that point. As long as Brian had feelings for Angela, no other girl could ever really have his heart.

What Brian should have done is probably tried to get to know her as a friend first and maybe shouldn't have asked her to the dance at all--or else maybe should have asked her as a friend and then allowed Angela to come as a part of a group. Of course, that wouldn't be realistic at all; the only realistic possibility was, of course, what happened on the show.

Jody Barsch*
Lifehead

Post by Jody Barsch* » Aug 27th 2011, 2:47 pm

Superjesus wrote:I think she could, but I don't really think she'd want to.
I agree. Delia is new to the school. She hardly knows Brian and has a crush on him based on the little she does know and what she's observed. Brian shattered that. It's gone. Brian can keep going back to Angela, and Angela can keep going back to Jordan, because those are more than crushes. Brian isn't who Delia liked him for being and so it's over. In my experience, a crush, once it's over, it's gone. It cannot be rekindled.
On a side note, I LOVE that the most scathing review of a guy in the show is Brian "He is the most self-centered, low-down dog of all time. He uses girls, then, like, tosses them aside." No one says that about Jordan. Kyle Vinnovich only rates a "butthead". I love that a character's personality traits can be completely altered depending on who's seeing them. This also provides a great moment in which to note the similarities between Jordan and Brian's behavior.
Sometimes I write a little MSCL fanfiction: https://www.fanfiction.net/u/1039807/Jody-Barsch
Also, after multiple V. Mars reiterations, and finally a Deadwood movie, still wishing for some continuation of The Riches !

Superjesus
Overlooked Sibling

Post by Superjesus » Aug 28th 2011, 10:06 am

That was basically my view.

Delia doesn't need Brian. She has Rickie as her friend and she can find another guy. Brian doesn't mean anything much to her - just a guy she thought was cute.