Rickie's living situation--would it be permanent?

General discussion about the nineteen episodes of "My So-Called Life". Note: Our episode guide can be found here.
Browland
Tino

Rickie's living situation--would it be permanent?

Post by Browland » Feb 1st 2011, 5:10 pm

I just finished the show for the first time (loved it), and I wondered about Rickie living with Katimski. Do you think he would have moved into the group home when a spot opened up for him in however many weeks it took, or do you think Katimski would have been a permanent or official guardian? I realize that back then it may not have been accepted to have a gay man taking in a teenage student (who was gay himself). People would have read things into that situation, as Katimski says aloud to his partner. He worried that he could lose his job, even.

I read on the inside of the DVD booklet that Winnie Holzman would have put Katimski's career in jeopardy for taking in Rickie, and that Patty would have defended him. So what do you think: that Katimski would secretly put Rickie up until Pride House could accept him, or that Rickie would stay with the teacher permanently and risk being found out?

Browland
Tino

Re: Rickie's living situation--would it be permanent?

Post by Browland » Feb 6th 2011, 1:39 pm

Then it occurs to me that it may not be well known that Katimski is gay. There are those scenes of that other teacher (I forget her name) flirting with him, unsuccessfully. I wonder how it all would have played out had the series continued.

Bacchante
Let's Bolt Regular

Post by Bacchante » Feb 6th 2011, 4:24 pm

I get the feeling that this lady that was flirting with Katimski did actually figure out he was gay, and I think this might have been discussed somewhere on here, but I forget.

I think Rickie would have stayed with Katimski. Or maybe a decent relative would have appeared out of the blue and hosted him. It would suck too much (even for a serious show like MSCL) if he were sent to Pride House or anywhere that's not really a home... but who knows.
"I know you think, how could someone like me understand. Only, I do."

Browland
Tino

Post by Browland » Feb 10th 2011, 2:30 am

Yeah, I agree...I would much rather he stay with Katimski or a family that would support him than a group home. Rickie seemed reluctant about Pride House to begin with, but he was willing to go because he saw no other options at that point.

Superjesus
Overlooked Sibling

Post by Superjesus » Jul 15th 2011, 4:54 am

Browland wrote:Then it occurs to me that it may not be well known that Katimski is gay.
Had this become an issue it would certainly have been known - Katimski seems to believe it is already (his conversation with his partner after Rickie calls).

I'm sure we would have had a story arc dedicated to this question had we had a second season. For my part, I believe that Rickie would have gone at first to Pride House when a spot came up - not necessarily because he wants to go, but because he fears getting Katimski in trouble and doesn't like being a burden on him and his partner. However, it would have turned out like his time at the Chases' - he would have had all his needs met, seen others in his situation and maybe even the support he needed, but he would have just felt even more out of place. Rickie, in whatever form, craves not just an idea of family life but one where he believes he can fit in. Mr Katimski can give him that because he innately understands what Rickie is going through (probably because he went through the same things himself?) and, more importantly, he knows Rickie well enough to help him as an individual which he wouldn't have received so much at Pride House.

In the end, I believe that Rickie would have returned to Katimski's place and they would have worked out some kind of arrangement.