Yearbook Quote

General discussion about the nineteen episodes of "My So-Called Life". Note: Our episode guide can be found here.
Ames693
Frozen Embryo

Yearbook Quote

Post by Ames693 » Oct 6th 1999, 10:43 pm

Hey fellow MSCL fans. Well our high school yearbook decided that we have to have quotes under our senior pics. So i was just wondering if you guys could think of any good ones from the show..i have a few...but i would love your input!!! thanks.

angelika
Let's Bolt Regular

Re: Yearbook Quote

Post by angelika » Oct 7th 1999, 5:37 pm

Someone else asked this question earlier, and I will tell you the same thing that I told him!! :-) "My parents keep asking me how school was. I don't care how it WAS--I'm just lucky to get out alive!" and "We had a time." Good luck choosing your quote--I hope I get to do this next year, although I'm pretty sure my school doesn't do this.... schucks!!

mia
Yearbook Team

Post by mia » Oct 8th 1999, 10:13 am

I'd go with "We had a time." Personally, I don't think linking school with drive-by shootings is something I'd want to see in a yearbook, especially in this day and age.

angelika
Let's Bolt Regular

Post by angelika » Oct 8th 1999, 5:42 pm

I understand what you mean. I don't think Angela was LITERALLY talking about drive by shootings, but non-MSCL viewers may not know that. I guess that's something that only we can understand. I would have to agree with the part that says, "I'm lucky to just get out alive!" With all the stress that school entails, it's enough to make anyone sick. That's what I meant by that, but you do have a very valid point. The school administration might not like that quote either! :-)

soma
Liberty High Student

Re: rofl

Post by soma » Oct 8th 1999, 5:58 pm

I like the "my parents..." qoute. I was also going to recommend "we had a time", but the other just seems better. It's honest. :) I agree though that in this day and age, it might not be right to put it in. Whatever you went with, I'm sure it'd be great.

BeeJay
Let's Bolt Regular

Post by BeeJay » Oct 9th 1999, 2:56 am

Well, how about one from Angela herself, about...you guessed it...Year Books! it goes like this:

"Year Book is a book about what we think should have happened; not about what really happened. Because if we made a book about what really happened, it'd be a really disturbing book, in my humble opinion"!

So, the first phrase of the quote could serve as a short year book quote!!

grim4746
Krakow

Re: my quote

Post by grim4746 » Oct 19th 1999, 12:39 am

I'm not sure of the exact words at the moment and it's late so I'm not going to check. But it's from Guns and Gossip right after Jordan tells Angela they should just have sex seeing as everyone thinks they did. "[It's such a lie that you should do what's in your heart. If we all did what was in our heart the world would grind to a halt.]" I always liked that one because it's cynical but relentlessly true.

adam
Three Rivers Resident

Post by adam » Oct 20th 1999, 3:59 pm

yea that was me. i tried to do that one but it was rejected so i had to find another one. it's the whole thing with guns and killings that make that quote so unacceptible even if it is true.

oldguy
Substitute Teacher

Post by oldguy » Oct 20th 1999, 4:32 pm

Adam:

My memory isn't so good on the word for word,
but if you have the shows on tape, here are some
good ones that you can double-check the exact
wording for:

1) "My life just figured out how to get good" ---- from "Dancing in the Dark" (Ep. 2)
2) "This life is a test. If this had been an actual life, you would have been told
where to go and what to do" ---- from "Why Jordan Can't Read" (Ep. 7).
3) "School is a battlefield... for your heart" --------- from the pilot episode (1).
4) The episode "Guns and Gossip" has some great quotes that I just can't
quite remember (darn!) --- and they're not all about guns.
5) "Wake up" ------- from "The Substitute" (episode 6).
6) "People are so strange.. that there actually... beautiful... quite possibly
even me" ---- from "The Zit" (episode 5).

Every epsisode has at least 5 or 10 great lines, so that this list could be
nearly endless. I don't know if these ones are what you're looking for,
but I certainly enjoyed remembering them!

angelika
Let's Bolt Regular

Post by angelika » Oct 20th 1999, 5:36 pm

Oh my!!! Because you wrote that post, you have forced me to recite my favorite MSCL quote of all time. I'm going to bet that some of you will agree that this is a good one.

"Sometimes it seems like we're all living in, like, some kind of a prison, and the crime is how much we hate ourselves. It's good to get really dressed up once in a while, and admit the truth: that when you really look closely, people are so strange and so complicated that they're actually... beautiful. Possibly even me."

THIS QUOTE MAKES SO MUCH SENSE! Perhaps it's the part of me that doesn't have much self concept, but I can completely relate to this quote. Then again, I can completely relate to EVERYTHING on that show. Isn't it strange how that works out?? :-)

trippingbillie41
Tino

i can't believe no one said this one!

Post by trippingbillie41 » Dec 20th 1999, 4:08 pm

"You're so beautiful... it hurts to look at you."

Well, maybe it doesn't exactly apply to high school, but if you've ever obsessed over someone like Jordan, then maybe it sums high school up perfectly. I have to say, though, "We had a time" is a really, really good one. Kudos to whoever suggested it first.

~You're so beautiful...it hurts to look at you.~

grim4746
Krakow

"You're so beautiful..."

Post by grim4746 » Jan 10th 2000, 2:58 am

I meant to mention this earlier but I forgot about it until reading the post. About 6 weeks ago I was watching this movie at 3:00 am (general time frame). It was French and about 30 plus years old, anyway it had that line in it as a serious statement the leading man made. I was delighted to find something that possibly inspired some of the MSCL writing. It might have been a coincidence but who knows.