Huge (2010)

Discuss former or new projects of Winnie Holzman (creator of "My So-Called Life") in this forum.
Sascha
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Huge (2010)

Post by Sascha » Jan 26th 2010, 5:56 am

Winnie Holzman and her daughter Savannah Dooley wrote the script for the pilot episode of a new TV drama, according to The Hollywood Reporter. The script is based on Alloy Entertainment's young-adult novel "Huge" by Sasha Paley.

ABC Family is interested in picking it up, but hasn't greenlighted it yet officially.
The project, described as "Glee" meets "Ugly Betty," explores how young girls deal with body-image issues. It is set at Wellness Canyon, a weight-loss camp, and revolves around two girls from different backgrounds who fall for the same guy.
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/hr/con ... 3c6384a004

Sascha
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Re: Winnie Holzman: New TV project for ABC Family

Post by Sascha » Jan 30th 2010, 2:39 pm

And here's the official announcement: ABC Family ordered 10 episodes of "Huge". Winnie Holzman will be Executive Producer on the pilot episode, her daughter Savannah will take over the reigns for the remainder of the show.
ABC FAMILY ANNOUNCES PICK-UP OF DRAMAS "HUGE" AND "PRETTY LITTLE LIARS"

Burbank, CA (Wednesday, January 27, 2010) Paul Lee, president, ABC Family, today announced the pick-up of two one-hour dramas, "Huge" and "Pretty Little Liars." Each series has been given a 10-episode order and is scheduled to premiere in 2010.

"ABC Family is coming off another record year of growth," said Lee. "We're excited about the addition of these two new original series to the network's already strong slate of programming. Both have their own unique voice that will speak to our Millennial viewers."

"Huge," based on author Sasha Paley's book of the same name, is being developed by Winnie Holzman ("Wicked," "My So-Called Life," "Once & Again") and daughter Savannah Dooley. Holzman will be executive producer on the premiere episode, and will serve as consultant for the remainder of the episodes. Dooley will serve as producer on the series. Alloy Entertainment's Bob Levy and Leslie Morgenstein will serve as executive producers; Robin Schiff ("Romy & Michele's High School Reunion" and ABC Family's "10 Things I Hate About You") will serve as a consulting producer. Funny, heartbreaking and provocative, "Huge" follows the lives of six teens and the staff at a weight-loss camp, as they look beneath the surface to discover their true selves and the truth about each other.
[..]

stburr91
Liberty High Student

Re: Winnie Holzman: New TV project for ABC Family ("Huge")

Post by stburr91 » Jan 30th 2010, 3:22 pm

I'll have to be sure to check it out.
What's amazing is when you can feel your life going somewhere. Like your life just figured out how to get good. Like, that second."

Sascha
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Winnie Holzman's Huge premieres June 28 at 9pm

Post by Sascha » Apr 26th 2010, 3:08 pm

ABC Family recently announced the premiere date for "Huge": Monday, June 28. Here's the press release:
"Huge" is being developed by Winnie Holzman ("Wicked," "My So-Called Life," "Once & Again") and daughter Savannah Dooley. Funny, heartbreaking and provocative, "Huge" follows the lives of seven teens and the staff at a weight-loss camp, as they look beneath the surface to discover their true selves and the truth about each other. The series stars Nikki Blonsky ("Hairspray"), Andrew Caldwell, Zander Eckhouse, Harvey Guillen, Ari Stidham, Ashley Holliday and Hayley Hasselhoff. Holzman will be executive producer on the premiere episode, and will serve as consultant for the remainder of the episodes. Dooley will serve as producer on the series. Kim Rozenfeld ("American High"), and Alloy Entertainment's Leslie Morgenstein and Bob Levy ("Gossip Girl," "The Vampire Diaries"), will serve as executive producers; Robin Schiff ("Romy & Michele's High School Reunion" and ABC Family's "10 Things I Hate About You") will serve as a consulting producer. The series is based on the Alloy Entertainment book written by Sasha Paley. "Huge" premieres Monday, June 28 at 9:00PM ET/PT.

Sascha
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Sascha » May 13th 2010, 2:32 pm

And another, more elaborate press release. Gina Torres ("Firefly") has joined the cast.

Official website: http://abcfamily.go.com/abcfamily/path/ ... age_Detail
ABC FAMILY PREMIERES ITS NEW ORIGINAL SCRIPTED DRAMA SERIES, "HUGE," DEVELOPED AND PRODUCED BY MOTHER/DAUGHTER TEAM WINNIE HOLZMAN AND SAVANNAH DOOLEY, ON MONDAY, JUNE 28 AT 10:00 PM ET/PT

The Drama Stars Nikki Blonsky ("Hairspray"), Hayley Hasselhoff, Ashley Holiday, Harvey Guillen, Stephan Van Ray, Air Stidam, Raven Goodwin, Gina Torres and Zander Eckhouse

Burbank, CA (Thursday, May 13) - ABC Family premieres its new original scripted series, "Huge," a one-hour relationship drama based on the Alloy Entertainment book of the same name by Sasha Paley, on Monday, June 28 (9:00 - 10:00 PM ET/PT). This new series is being developed by Winnie Holzman ("Wicked," "My So-Called Life," "Once & Again") and her daughter, Savannah Dooley.

"Huge" is heartwarming drama that focuses on seven teens from different backgrounds attending a weight loss camp as they embark on their individual journeys of self discovery. The series will follow the emotional journey of the campers as they deal with issues including self-esteem, friendship, rivalry, romance and body image.

Nikki Blonsky ("Hairspray") is set to star as Willamina, aka Will, an opinionated, sardonic non-conformist who is not happy that her parents sent her to Camp Victory, a weight loss camp run by Dr. Rand, played by Gina Torres. The cast also includes Hayley Hasselhoff as Amber, Zander Eckhouse as George, Stephan Van Ray as Trent, Harvey Guillen as Alistair, Ari Stidham as Ian, Raven Goodwin as Becca and Ashley Holliday as Chloe.

Holzman will serve as executive producer, as will Kim Rozenfeld ("American High"), while Dooley will serve as producer on the series. Alloy Entertainment's Leslie Morgenstein and Bob Levy ("Gossip Girl," "The Vampire Diaries") will also serve as executive producers; Robin Schiff ("Romy & Michele's High School Reunion" and ABC Family's "10 Things I Hate About You") will serve as a consulting producer.

Part of the Disney-ABC Television Group, ABC Family is distributed in over 98 million homes. ABC Family features programming reflecting today's families, entertaining and connecting with adults through relatable programming about today's relationships - told with a mix of diversity, dysfunction, passion, humor and heart. ABC Family's programming is a combination of network defining original series and original movies, quality acquired series and blockbuster theatricals. ABC Family is also the destination for annual Holiday events with "13 Nights of Halloween" and "25 Days of Christmas!" ABC Family. A New Kind of Family.

Sascha
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

ABC Family ("Huge") cast picture

Post by Sascha » May 27th 2010, 1:44 pm

ABC Family has released a few images of the cast.
hugelogo..jpg
Gina_Torres_HUGE.jpg
HUGE_jpg.jpg
More images at monstersandcritics.com

Our reader Hannah also let us know that Winnie Holzman's brother Ernie Holzman will be the cinematographer on some of the episodes --- just like he was on MSCL. Other MSCL alumns like Elodie Keene and Ron Lagomarsino will also be involved in the production of the show.

Sascha
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Sascha » Jun 5th 2010, 3:21 am

First trailer is available on facebook:

http://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=600719161875

Sascha
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Sascha » Jun 8th 2010, 1:37 pm

Description for the first episode:
In the premiere episode of "Huge," Willamina (Nikki Blonsky), aka Will, reluctantly begins her journey at weight loss camp, making quite an impression on her fellow campers at the "before" photo shoot, and later stirring up trouble by selling her stash of food to the other campers. What happens when Dr. Rand (Gina Torres), the head of Camp Victory, finds out about Will's undercover dealings? Find out in the premiere episode of the new ABC Family original one-hour scripted series, "Huge," premiering Monday, June 28, 2010 (10:00 - 11:00 PM ET/PT). The episode, entitled "Hello, I Must Be Going," was directed by Allison Liddi-Brown and written by Savannah Dooley and Winnie Holzman.

Amber (Hayley Hasselhoff) who, unlike Will, is excited about the possibilities that Camp Victory offers her, soon learns that things will be very different for her when she finds herself a part of the "popular" group - which is completely new territory for her. When she attracts the attention of Ian (Ari Stidam), one of her fellow campers - much to the dismay of Will -- it plants the seed for a romantic rivalry between the two girls.

"Huge" is a heartwarming drama that focuses on a group of teens from different backgrounds attending a weight loss camp as they embark on their individual journeys of self discovery. The series will follow the campers as they deal with issues including self-esteem, friendship, rivalry, romance and body image.

Holzman will serve as executive producer, as will Kim Rozenfeld ("American High"), while Dooley will serve as producer on the series. Alloy Entertainment's Leslie Morgenstein and Bob Levy ("Gossip Girl," "The Vampire Diaries") will also serve as executive producers; Robin Schiff ("Romy & Michele's High School Reunion" and ABC Family's "10 Things I Hate About You") will serve as a consulting producer.

Sascha
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Re: Winnie Holzman: "Huge" premieres tonight!

Post by Sascha » Jun 28th 2010, 2:51 am

Reminder: "Huge" premieres tonight (june 28, 8pm) on ABC Family!

Early reviews are quite favorable, "it's like My So-Called Life at a fat camp".

More reviews: Google News.

stburr91
Liberty High Student

Post by stburr91 » Jun 29th 2010, 10:52 pm

I watched the show, it was fairly decent. There were some scenes that did have MSCL feel to them. I'd say it's woth checking out if you have seen it.
What's amazing is when you can feel your life going somewhere. Like your life just figured out how to get good. Like, that second."

Sascha
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Sascha » Jul 11th 2010, 5:12 am

The Sunday Gazette Mail from Parkersburg features today an article about Paul Dooley and his family (Winnie Holzman, Savannah Dooley, Adam Dooley). He talks about how he and his wife got involved in "Huge".

http://sundaygazettemail.com/News/201007100281

Sascha
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Sascha » Aug 3rd 2010, 11:32 am

There's a recent picture of Winnie and her daughter over at stltoday.com, as well a a quick mention in an article about the ABC Family Upfronts Presentation.

Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Aug 10th 2010, 4:30 am

You can also watch Huge on hulu!

I just started watching the pilot and I'm already seeing shades of MSCL. The main character has the requisite alternate hair color (purple streaks this time) and I think I've already spotted the Brian: "It's, like, optional."
Natasha aka candygirl :: MSCL.com

Look, if this is weird for you, being tutored? I don't mind helping you a little longer.
You could have sex with me if you really want to help...I guess that's a "no"?

Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Aug 12th 2010, 8:18 am

I'm finally caught up on the first seven episodes, and I really like this show. Although I do love some of the shows that MSCL alumni have created/been involved with (Friday Night Lights, Parenthood, Wonderfalls, Roswell, Relativity), this is the one that feels the most like MSCL.

The others had well written realistic characters, some of whom I loved, but this is the show that somehow recreates so much of the feeling of MSCL - what it's like to be a teenager, to feel alienated, to have unexpected moments of joy, to wonder why you don't fit in, to struggle with finding your place with your peers.

Even though I've never been to fat camp, I was able to relate to almost every character and their situation at camp (being in a new social setting, finding your footing among strangers, plus the age old "ooh, boys!" feeling). There are moments that really echo the magic of MSCL and make me so nostalgic for Angela and co.

Some of the MSCL influences are minor, like Will's colorful streaks. Other times they're much larger. The episode "Spirit Quest" reminded me a lot of the Halloween episode of MSCL. There's a storyline about how Becca and Chloe were friends at camp the summer before that had definite shades of Angela/Sharon.

Despite all the issues I mentioned, it's not all angst all the time. There are plenty of light comic moments. The campers are obsessed with a reality dating show called Love Handles ("I only have nine onion rings in this basket to give away."). The Huge satire of Twilight is a teen novel called Phantasma but instead of a vampire, the RPattz character is a ghost. Every reference to Phantasmia is hilarious. Some awesome snippets:
This girl comes to this new town, right, and she keeps seeing this guy everywhere, like, he keeps appearing and then reappearing and appearing and then reappearing, ‘cause he basically is everywhere, ‘cause he’s like a ghost. It’s romantic.

Say it, just say it.
GHOST.

Are you still afraid?
Yes, I’m afraid…of how badly I want you.

I would do anything for you Callie. I even swore to protect you from the Ghost Tribunal. But now I realize that the best way to protect you…is to stay away from you.

You can’t mean that. If you loved me, then you’ll stay with me. No matter what.

I waited 300 years to find true love. Before you came, I had no hope that I would ever feel anything again. You changed me, Callie. And I need you to know that. Before I go.

Let me die and we can be together.
Paul Dooley is also awesome, from ripping out pages while reading a book to comments like "That Lady Gaga sure works hard at whatever it is she does."

The actors playing the kids are pretty uniformly excellent. Each kid as a distinct personality, which I can imagine wasn't the easiest thing to do with so many secondary and tertiary characters.

And I love that Mark Piznarski (who directed Why Jordan Can't Read, Halloween, Pressure, and Betrayal) has now had two tv characters named after him: Piz on Veronica Mars and Dante Piznarski on Huge!

Look, if this is weird for you, being tutored? I don't mind helping you a little longer.

Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Aug 31st 2010, 3:15 am

I love that Paul Dooley's interaction with Will is a shade of Angela/Graham where teaching her how to cook is a sign of love.

In this behind the scenes clip, you can see a huge MSCL poster on the wall at the very beginning:
http://www.hulu.com/watch/173736/huge-g ... usic-video